• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
From the 2011 thread;

fuck_yo_couch.gif

The fuck. Mike Brown?

MIKE BROWN MVP COACH.

Lord, let it be true so that a good, hearty laugh can be had at the expense of Lakernation.

I love you guys, but it would be one of the few pure irony's we get in this sport annually.

Mike Brown.

I never thought I'd see the day. Mike Brown coaching the Los Angeles Lakers.

Never has there been a more overrated coach, as Laker Nation has accurately pointed out for the last few seasons. NEVER. And now his overrated ass is going to coach the Lakers.

Unreal.

Mike Brown...

Mike fucking Brown?

What in the fuck?!

I....

Hold me.

Lakers-age rejoices!

On a serious note, statistically, the LA offense was fine. It had no flow at all though, was janky as hell, and underutilized what made those guys some of the best at their position ever. It's like getting all the best recievers in football to play with the best QB in the game - then having a coach tell them that they're going to be working heavy, triple option runs for 80% of the offense.

Also his lineups were just fucking retarded. He can't manage a roster at all. No one should be able to defend his bullshit when it comes to the rotations he was kicking out.

Another thing is that the defense was bad because the offense was uncoordinated. With all those turnovers, that defense being put on its heels a lot more than it should've been.

So much this.

The bench units were so bad. He was playing unit of Morris-Ebanks-Jamison-Hill-Pau. That shit won't fly. It wouldn't score.

Why not play Duhon-Meeks-Jamison-Hill-Howard at least? It's not imposing in any way, but at least you put Dwight in there with guys who can hit the 3. Just run a dump down low offense, draw double, kick. All the bench needed to do was not be terrible on offense.

I should have heeded the warnings about Brown's rotations. They traded Kapono last season JUST so Brown would stop using him. This season the rotations made absolutely no sense and was a much bigger issue than the overall disjointed offense which was, as you point out, killing their defense.

I think D'Antoni could be fine. I wish we had more shooters, but Meeks, jamison, Kobe, Nash, and Blake can hit 3s. And randomly Ron. Dwight is Amar'e on Steroids as is Pau for Diaw.

Also DA has this to say

Old man dropped in for a quick slap. Makes sense since Jim is the one that hired Brown and Mitch didn't even conduct the interviews. Also Jim gave him the vote not even 2 days ago. This really looks bad for Jim.

Does Jerry finally understand how much of a fuckwit pair his sons are? Does this mean...does it mean we can have Jeanie in charge?

lol what am I thinking, she's a woman and he's himself.

• Brown is a hard worker and very well liked around the league. It’s very possible he wasn’t the right head coach for this Lakers team. But he did not get a fair chance to coach the 2012-13 Lakers.

Someone else will get that chance now, whether it’ll be Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, Phil Jackson, Dwight Howard’s candy supplier, Penny Marshall, or Jerry Sloan. And that person will probably have success. The talent here is too good to fail over a large sample size.

Still: Brown has had five games to coach a totally remade roster, playing a totally new offense under an all-world point guard who has played in one and a half of those five games. Dwight Howard, the franchise’s new candy-eating, fart-spewing, wannabe humorist centerpiece, is far from peak conditioning and form as he recovers from back surgery.

Zach Lowe's disdain for Dwight is pretty funny considering how chill he normally comes off as.

Pimpwerx

Nails what? That was a really dumb comment.

Spo is a shit coach too btw, he just couldn't out-stupid Brooks.

SMH. I'll take the opinion of SVG and Pop over you. Both have spoken highly of Spo recently.

Teams don't win on talent alone, that's the clear message. You need a good coach to harness the full potential of a roster. Why else are people pining for Phil Jackson, who'd all but completely checked out in his final season?

I'm happy with Spo. I consider him a great coach. He survived an extreme pressure cooker without cracking or panicking, he's creative and willing to take some risks. As bad as some like to say he is, he's never coached more than a dozen games with his team having a losing record. This is after inheriting a 15 win team that was just getting ready for the Big3. Yeah...I think we're gonna be fine with Spo. PEACE.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'd like to announce that I will be a part of the Lakers coaching staff.

I'll make sure they sneak in as a 7 seed.

All this talk about offense, but the Lakers' offense wasn't the problem. People bitching about the Princeton ignore that the team has shot efficiently from the field in all but the Jazz game. The Lakers' problem begins and ends with defense.

So with that established...wtf is D'Antoni's name even getting a mention? Is Lakers Age BBIQ somewhere in the cellar or something? No part of bad defense and Pringles as a fix go together. SMH. PEACE.

Offense isn't the problem? So turnovers happen on defense? This team may shoot well but turning it over like they have is anything but efficient.

SMH. I'll take the opinion of SVG and Pop over you. Both have spoken highly of Spo recently.

Teams don't win on talent alone, that's the clear message. You need a good coach to harness the full potential of a roster. Why else are people pining for Phil Jackson, who'd all but completely checked out in his final season?

I'm happy with Spo. I consider him a great coach. He survived an extreme pressure cooker without cracking or panicking, he's creative and willing to take some risks. As bad as some like to say he is, he's never coached more than a dozen games with his team having a losing record. This is after inheriting a 15 win team that was just getting ready for the Big3. Yeah...I think we're gonna be fine with Spo. PEACE.

Spo sux dix n ballz.

You want coaches to tear down another coach who just chipped? Like Pop hasn't ever played a million angles before? Like SVG has said real dumb shit before?

There are a lot of factors involved in winning, a good coach is important but as Brooks and Spo proved last season, talent trumps great coaching sometimes. Doc and Pop will tell you that. Would you really pick Brooks or Spo over either Pop or Doc? Do you think Spo and Brooks 'harness' potential better than them? Please.

And to reiterate, Spo sux, that zas guy didn't nail shit. He's just some hard-on who tried to attach the team he covers to the latest story.PEACE.

oh the team could have won on talent alone at least 2 of those games but not when MB's shitty rotations were happening. I mean i wouldn't say I blame all of the team's shitty start on him but seriously Metta @ the 2 and "he's sticking with it"?

A.S from Silver Screen and roll explains it well

At the end of the first quarter he trotted out a line-up of Darius Morris, Devin Ebanks, Antawn Jamison, Jordan Hill, and Pau Gasol. A passive Pau Gasol paired with no great floor-spacing shooter or shot-creating playmaker, what could go wrong? That line-up closed out the final two and half minutes and produce not a single point. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Goose Egg.

The famous saying is, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." But what happens if you are fooled three times? Mike Brown was twice hurt by these four non-shooters plus one all-star big man line-ups. Certainly the man wouldn't do it again in the same game would he? Well, yes he did. Brown sent the same line-up that started the 2nd quarter back out on the court to start the 4th. The Jazz extended their lead another three points during that span. For those of you who are counting, those line-ups were a combined -13 while the other line-ups were a +4.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/11/8/3616710/lakers-come-for-jazz-brown-gives-us-the-blues

Pimpwerx

Offense isn't the problem? So turnovers happen on defense? This team may shoot well but turning it over like they have is anything but efficient.

Chemistry? We turned the ball over a lot early in 2010 because the guys just hadn't developed the chemistry yet. Two big pieces in the starting offense seems like a recipe for turnovers. Especially when you couple that with a brand-new offense that's historically difficult to learn. I don't think firing Brown was wrong, but I don't think it's because the offense was an issue. Lakers were losing games because of putrid defense. The offense was sufficiently efficient enough (even with turnovers) to win games. Blame defense and sometimes shitty FT shooting. PEACE.

oh the team could have won on talent alone at least 2 of those games but not when MB's shitty rotations were happening. I mean i wouldn't say I blame all of the team's shitty start on him but seriously Metta @ the 2 and "he's sticking with it"?

A.S from Silver Screen and roll explains it well

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/11/8/3616710/lakers-come-for-jazz-brown-gives-us-the-blues

hey equal blame could be put on the bench for that. i mean have u seen antawn out there? the fuck is he doing? he was supposed to be sixth man, the bench leader.

Hate to see a man lose his job, but its the right decision. This means the Princeton offense is done right?

yes. also he still gets the money from his contract, so i don't really care for him losing his job lol.

Karakand

Hey y'all, #rememberwhen

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss said he was hurt and confused by criticism of his son, and Lakers executive, Jim Buss' handling of the hiring of new coach Mike Brown.

"I could not understand that," the elder Buss said Tuesday after Brown was introduced as the team's new head coach. "Where everything came from was beyond me.

Pimpwerx

Spo sux dix n ballz.

You want coaches to tear down another coach who just chipped? Like Pop hasn't ever played a million angles before? Like SVG has said real dumb shit before?

There are a lot of factors involved in winning, a good coach is important but as Brooks and Spo proved last season, talent trumps great coaching sometimes. Doc and Pop will tell you that. Would you really pick Brooks or Spo over either Pop or Doc? Do you think Spo and Brooks 'harness' potential better than them? Please.

And to reiterate, Spo sux, that zas guy didn't nail shit. He's just some hard-on who tried to attach the team he covers to the latest story.PEACE.
SVG made his comments before Spo chipped. It was after he got fired, so he was beholden to no bosses or code of ethics. The Van Gundy's are famously candid, so I have no reason to think he wasn't being candid then. He's said it multiple times, anyway.

That said, you may be right about SVG saying some dumb shit before, but compared to you?

C'mon. He's still gonna have a much better idea of what makes a good or bad coach than you. You're not exactly some fount of basketball knowledge, bud. For example: if talent trumps great coaching, then why did Mike Brown lose games with the roster he has? You're not making sense. You're straddling the fence, just like the radio host I quoted said. SMH.

BTW, I'd take Spo over Doc, but not Pop. I've said this for a long time now. You can probably Google it. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Sorry Lakers Age, SVG has withdrawn his name for consideration:

Stan Van Gundy dropping jewels right now on 790 The Ticket...

"That's the most ridiculous firing in the history of the NBA."

"It just shows the Lakers organization is in disarray."

"My theory, the people running that team have no idea what they're doing."

Stugotz: "So you're not interested in the job?"

Stan: "No... God no!"

FYI, SVG is now a weekly guest on Lebatard's show. He's there for the entire show, one day per week. ESPN is stupid for not hiring him, because the guy is radio gold. SVG and JVG need to have a show together. Everytime I've heard the two of them together, it's been a fun segment. PEACE.

PBY

Banned
Nails what? That was a really dumb comment.

Spo is a shit coach too btw, he just couldn't out-stupid Brooks.

Spo isn't a shit coach; but the comment isnt right because when the Heat were losing Spo did get shit. More realistically, coaches tend to be blamed when teams lose, but they generally get forgotten when teams win.

hey equal blame could be put on the bench for that. i mean have u seen antawn out there? the fuck is he doing? he was supposed to be sixth man, the bench leader.

yes. also he still gets the money from his contract, so i don't really care for him losing his job lol.

Man, he played Jamison at the 3... Jamison isn't a 3. Not saying Jamison doesn't suck but come on he ain't a SF.

SVG made his comments before Spo chipped. It was after he got fired, so he was beholden to no bosses or code of ethics. The Van Gundy's are famously candid, so I have no reason to think he wasn't being candid then. He's said it multiple times, anyway.

That said, you may be right about SVG saying some dumb shit before, but compared to you?

C'mon. He's still gonna have a much better idea of what makes a good or bad coach than you. You're not exactly some fount of basketball knowledge, bud. For example: if talent trumps great coaching, then why did Mike Brown lose games with the roster he has? You're not making sense. You're straddling the fence, just like the radio host I quoted said. SMH.

BTW, I'd take Spo over Doc, but not Pop. I've said this for a long time now. You can probably Google it. PEACE.

How often do coaches say coaches of contending teams suck? They'll criticize rotation, last minute plays and so on, but almost never outright say he's not the man for the job. Even when unemployed and looking for work. It's not a good look to shit talk coaches after you're already home being a family man.

I'm in no way defending Brown. While Spo sux dix n ballz, Brown sucks ALLLLLL the dix n ballz. He overplays guys, sends out frankenstein lineups, puts guys in bad position and asks for guys to do what they're not good at. Brown might have been trying to lose the way he managed the team.

You're really coming at me for bad basketball opinions? I know you ain't talking 'bout me dog, You? what? /Nas voice

You're the reason I cringe whenever someone discusses Tolstoy.

Esiquio

Having just seen this video on YouTube this morning when I heard about the Zen Master/D'Antoni being possible coaching choices, and seeing this GIF...well, lets just say that I was crying for several minutes with laughter. If I knew who made that I would literally give them $5 for the joy it brought me and everyone else I sent it to.

masud

Banned
Pringles gets a bad rep. He overachieved in Phoenix then moved on to a joke organization that had no interest in building the kind of team he wanted.

That being said, he would run slowtime into the fucking ground. Avoid.

Pkaz01

i still think d'antoni will be a mistake especially with an older team. i dont know how much he has changed but 6 man rotations arent going to work with those veterans. pau will absolutely feast in his offense though

im still glad we had gentry to take over i like gentrys offense. he needs to get better at time out selection and drawing up plays when we need them but no ones perfect

Pimpwerx

Saw this on RGM. Seems like the Phil stuff is gaining traction:
Ryan Ward ‏@Lakers_Examiner
Phil Jackson was at the Lakers facility today, but according to @RamonaShelburne it was only a coincidence. #ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmm #Lakers

Lenard Gorokhov ‏@lenardizag
Phil Jackson is currently at the Lakers facility talking to management and walking around.

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
Obviously, LA must hire Phil Jackson, who still lives in LA, if he wants it. No brainer!

Phil J. ‏@Philpapi
RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO: Report: Phil Jackson Allegedly at Lakers Facility http://bit.ly/PKnG8J
I think it would be hilarious to Phil to come back and fail with this team. The bench is garbage. There is no coaching fix for that. PEACE.

Top Bottom