• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
The dream is dead. Its dead and jim buss just jumped all over the last shovel full of dirt thrown on the grave.

This was Jerry's call.

There was no better option after Phil. Would you rather have Dumbleavy? Better than Brown. We'll have to wait and see how it works out. At least there's a chance the offense will be fun. And Kobe likes him a lot.

Bernie's going to coach for a bit, apparently. Like I said, I've never been a big fan of his but don't know where else they could have gone right now. Still an upgrade.

Diaw and Amare didn't play together, D'Antoni's offense is all about spreading the floor with a small lineup, which Pau completely ruins. D'Antoni completely failed to adapt his offense to his personnel in NY, why is that going to change now? The Lakers are not built for his style of basketball.

They did in their best season. 06'07 Suns had Amare-Diaw and they went WCF where Amar'e got suspended.

pilonv1

NY-BN490_KNICKS_G_20120314174323.jpg

FOUR MORE YEARS

linsivvi

'Antoni is a 1 trick pony.

I still blame it on Jim Buss. If he didn't insist on hiring Mike Brown and getting rid of all traces of triangle and hired a more credible candidates, we wouldn't be in a rush to find a head-coach after the season started.

I will say this, I do wonder if the Lakers are thinking about shopping Pau, again.

They will most certainly try this lineup first and use it like Amar'e-Diaw from '07. But if it doesn't work, I can see Pau being shipped off for a stretch 4 (like Ryan Anderson type) and depth.

Pkaz01

Favorite part is going to be all the lakers fans that shitted on d'antoni when he was on the suns and knicks defend him at every step. Ah man this is going to be the GOAT season.

David Lee avg 20/10
Duhon had his best season
Felton had his best season

Mike is a good coach. Knicks tanked his first two seasons.

Don't suck on the medias straw because Barkley was the first to say the offense would never win a ring.

linsivvi

Favorite part is going to be all the lakers fans that shitted on d'antoni when he was on the suns and knicks defend him at every step. Ah man this is going to be the GOAT season.

Will continue to shit on him like we shitted on Mike Brown. We are not a bunch of delusional conservatives who live in a bubble.

Mike D'Antoni, not Phil Jackson, will be the next coach of the Lakers.

"We signed Mike D'Antoni to a multi-year deal," Lakers spokesman John Black said, mentioning the team's owner and top two executives. "Dr. [Jerry] Buss, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak were unanimous that Mike D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time."

D'Antoni, 61, coached the New York Knicks last season and the Phoenix Suns before that. He will officially take over the Lakers within a week or two, depending how quickly he recovers from knee-replacement surgery.

The Lakers will announce their new coach at a news conference as early as Tuesday but more likely later in the week. Bernie Bickerstaff will remain the team's interim coach for now.

D'Antoni signed a three-year deal for $12 million. The team holds an option for a fourth year.

Jackson was the overwhelming favorite to return to the Lakers until they heard his demands, which included a stake in team ownership, according to another person familiar with the situation.

"He was asking for the moon," said the person, who also declined to be identified because they are not authorized to discuss the situation.

The Lakers then moved quickly to sign D'Antoni. He replaces Mike Brown, who was fired Friday after the Lakers began the season 1-4, their worst start since 1993.

Earlier Sunday, Lakers guard Steve Nash said it would "be a coup" for the Lakers to bring back Jackson, but he also had kind words for D'Antoni.

"Obviously, I think everyone knows how much I love Mike," said Nash, who played four seasons and won two MVP awards under D'Antoni in Phoenix. "If he were the coach, it would be seamless and terrific for me, and I think the team as well.”

D’Antoni was most recently employed by the Knicks, who fired him last season after an 18-24 start.

Kobe Bryant did not hide his excitement for the prospect of Jackson returning but, like Nash, he was also on board with D'Antoni.

"They know how I feel about Phil. They know how I feel about D'Antoni," Bryant said Sunday. "I like them both."

lol, I will enjoy the return of the Mike D pics.

shira

D'Antoni for an old unathletic team with plenty of size & post players, but not enough shooting? A team built strictly for half court play? Well done LA.

Kobe's gonna need HGH PRP knee treatments every week

friday vs phx is going to be interesting

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
"I love him," Kobe Bryant simply said about Mike D'Antoni via e-mail to Y! Sports early Monday morning

The Lakers won't play as fast as those Suns teams did. Won't have to. in New York the problem was Melo. Not the same issue.

If there is an issue it will be the defense or bench. have to see what they do to address that. I'm not worried about our starting 5 in Mike D's offense.

Also, it's hilarious to see almost every laker fan here bemoan the notion of a PG like Paul or Nash in the triangle for years all of a sudden forget their claims.

Phil's demands were ridiculous, what the hell? Oh well, I've slowly come around to D'Antoni, hopefully he was being honest about focusing more on defense. This offense should be unstoppable.

Shadow780

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/jack_mccallum/05/21/dantoni.knicks/mike-dantoni-knicks.jpg[img]

"I can't believe I'm going to get to coach one of the best scorers in NBA history, Antawn Jamison. His pick and roll with Nash will be unstoppable, and he will buy into my no-defense philosophy."[/QUOTE]

lmao, bring back pringle pics, I love it.

How does Phil think he can get away with owning a part of the family business, ridiculous.

Branduil

The Lakers won't play as fast as those Suns teams did. Won't have to. in New York the problem was Melo. Not the same issue.

If there is an issue it will be the defense or bench. have to see what they do to address that. I'm not worried about our starting 5 in Mike D's offense.

Get used to your current defense because it's not going to get better under Mike Dan Tony.

Pkaz01

laker fans just hope you don't run into the spurs in the playoffs because as we've seen time and time again Pop will destroy d'antoni

I'm sure it'd work but it would still be a waste of Nash. Not sure about Dwight in the triangle.

Dwight would be fine. He's not as good as Shaq/Pau at passing, but better than Bynum and Kwame, that's for sure. The triangle was designed for a dominant big man.

Nash on the other hand was a wildcard. I wouldn't want to see what happened to GP happen to him.

I'm excited. With Brown the team looked like shit. At least if the Lakers are going to lose, they'll be fun to watch, again. The last two games have been more exciting watching them wing it.

If the offense clicks, it will be amazing. If not, oh well.

Get used to your current defense because it's not going to get better under Mike Dan Tony.

Knicks were pretty good with him once they rbought chandler. Defense more about personnel. I'm still worried about it, they need a solid system. We'll see if they bring someone with him.

It said it was unanimous. But jim is still cof. Quit defending him. This is a terrible decision all around. I feel jumbo's dirty paws all over this decision.

Jerry was never going to give Phil management control. Jerry kicked Phil out the first time for wanting that.

Phil wasn't an option if he was really asking to stay home on road trips. I'd rather have Mike D than Brown going forward. Let's just hope it works out.

Top Bottom