• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

linsivvi

I'd give him a shot as an assistant/video guy. I mean, the most a lot of coaches have as far as experience is playing which isn't nearly the same thing either.

Yes, but you still need to have some experience and knowledge on how pro teams and the league works before you can even be an assistant in my opinion. Players at least have that knowledge. Video guy/scout would be a good start.

I see that it was a joke anyway, so it doesn't matter.

h3ro

ahem...

4mQ8k.jpg

ALLOW ME TO REINTRODUCE MYSELF....

aNK3Y.jpg

7 seconds or less!

EYtp0.jpg

lakers-age is bitching?

2ijfg.jpg

How small do you feel Clovis?

jksbUs4b6dQca.jpg

New avy time, kado.

Cetqj.jpg

Moris, wanna see me make my Fire Marshal Bill face?

E1qmD.jpg

hi nori :3 remember when you said I shouldn't do this anymore because pringles wasn't coaching?

iGgW1pdcD4UBS.png

Get used to this face, you purple and yellow heathens.

6VowP.jpg

"wait til lakers-age sees that I told kobe to shoot more"

jfSn3.jpg

fin.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

linsivvi

ahem...

ALLOW ME TO REINTRODUCE MYSELF....

lakers-age is bitching?

How small do you feel Clovis?

New avy time, kado.

Get used to this face, you purple and yellow heathens.

"wait til lakers-age sees that I told kobe to shoot more"

fin.

Enjoy the parade....

:/

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I never thought Sloan was a good fit for Nash. That said, I'm also certain he's retired for good. No way he'd want to work with Metta and Dwight.
Don't know what gave you the idea that he was done for certain

He said many times he would coach again if the fit was right

Blackace

just woke up and see Dantoni as the new Lakers coach...lol. I guess they figure healthy Dwight will compensate for him not knowing shit about D.

For some reason Mike D is highly thought of as a head coach...despite his teams never playing D..

Could be interesting

So did they go behind Phil's back by doing this? By all indications the first meeting with him went well and the second meeting was scheduled for today. Talks must have massively broken down for them to not even contact Phil again or wait until the second meeting. I'm not sure why you would fire Mike Brown unless you had Phil or Sloan lined up because looking at career history Mike Brown has had a better career than Pringles. Seems like a penny pinching move at this point, especially with the contract that he was given.

Pkaz01

I'm not sure why you would fire Mike Brown unless you had Phil or Sloan lined up because looking at career history Mike Brown has had a better career than Pringles. Seems like a penny pinching move at this point, especially with the contract that he was given.

Was this when tom was doing all his coaching for him in cleveland? Or when lebron carries his ass to the finals only to get swept by the same spurs who only got past D'antoni's suns because david stern suspended amare?

D'antoni is fun to make fun of but he is nowhere near as bad as Brown.

Maddocks

Pringles? Pringles...

ibwgEW4a5LjrHz.gif

shit

exactly.

I told everyone that Jim's hate for Phil is strong, people said he can put that aside to win, I said he wouldn't, his pride wont allow it. This proves it.

not only that, but when pringles fails in 1-2 years, the phil bridge is completely burned.

Brinbe

Wow! smfh @ the Lakers, what a terrible hire. This is probably worse than Mike Brown considering Pringles' defensive prowess. But good news for the rest of us...

Kornheiserwhy.jpg

This thread is pretty awesome to read 3 pages back.

"We getting Phil y'all. Not 1 not 2..."

And now y'all getting your curleh mustaches on.

Lol

I was really hoping to see a Jeff Van Gundy hire, but he wasn't even interviewed. Talk about a cluster fuck, the ownership should have had half a dozen candidates lined up to interview before they gave Brown the pink slip. Instead they bring in the well known also-rans that every Joe blow and their mother is familiar with. FAIL

Blackace

lol, i think its a downgrade from brown. I'm loving this season. Can't wait for more Laker meltdowns.

So did they go behind Phil's back by doing this? By all indications the first meeting with him went well and the second meeting was scheduled for today. Talks must have massively broken down for them to not even contact Phil again or wait until the second meeting. I'm not sure why you would fire Mike Brown unless you had Phil or Sloan lined up because looking at career history Mike Brown has had a better career than Pringles. Seems like a penny pinching move at this point, especially with the contract that he was given.

Mike Brown basically needs a young team he can impress.

Mike D has the respect of two of his stars already and that is an upgrade over Mike Brown..

just looked at D'Antoni's defensive ratings for the Suns and its consistently in the middle of the pack, like 15th-18th place. then he floats..err, I mean sinks to the bottom of the league in his New York years ,right up until last year, when his rating skyrockets upward, thanks to Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert. obviously personnel helps out quite a bit (Amare and Nash are the envy of no one with a mind for d) and a guy like Dwight can hide your ineptitude through the season. but come playoff time, yo ass gets exposed. as he did over and over and over again by Pop.

linsivvi

Jeff van gundy
Brian shaw

Yet lakers pick coty mike brown and Pringles lmao

Had they fired the clown after last season, these two would be the obvious choices. But the season already started and I doubt JVG would leave ESPN in the middle of the season.

Shaw should've been the head coach when Phil left but I don't know if he can jump in now to a new situation and handle so many head cases without any head coaching experience.

If they don't want to meet Phil's demand, they should've at least made a serious attempt at getting Sloan, but they didn't.

ISOM

just looked at D'Antoni's defensive ratings for the Suns and its consistently in the middle of the pack, like 15th-18th place. then he floats..err, I mean sinks to the bottom of the league in his New York years ,right up until last year, when his rating skyrockets upward, thanks to Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert. obviously personnel helps out quite a bit (Amare and Nash are the envy of no one with a mind for d) and a guy like Dwight can hide your ineptitude through the season. but come playoff time, yo ass gets exposed. as he did over and over and over again by Pop.

This doesn't make any sense d'antoni has never had a defensive of the year type of player like dwight. How can you expose something you never had?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Had they fired the clown after last season, these two would be the obvious choices. But the season already started and I doubt JVG would leave ESPN in the middle of the season.

Shaw should've been the head coach when Phil left but I don't know if he can jump in now to a new situation and handle so many head cases without any head coaching experience.

If they don't want to meet Phil's demand, they should've at least made a serious attempt at getting Sloan, but they didn't.

Theres also the fact that the Pacers wouldn't just let Shaw walk away while hes under contract in the middle of a season.

Lakers fucked this up so bad.

When Pringles coached the Suns he had Marion and Raja Bell playing great defense and a ton of solid shooters. This is going to be a completely clusterfuck. He's going to want to run a pick and roll with Nash and Dwight and that leaves Kobe out of the equation. This is the worst possible hire for the Lakers and the league thanks their front office for it. There are plenty of teams that can outgun the Lakers on the offensive side of the ball. I felt like Kobe bitched to the front office and they should have given Mike Brown at least 20 games to show what he could do. Pringles also can't manage egos for shit. Remember what happened with Melo and Amare, for example.

Here's the facts: Dwight Howard is a great defensive player, but he's the only great defensive player on the entire team. Gasol and Nash don't play defense whatsoever. Kobe gives up if the Lakers start losing and if his shot isn't falling. Ron Artest is a head case that has lost a step.

I think it's a great hire, I've kind of liked him over Phil. This team needs to be a run and gun offensive juggernaut, and D'Antoni should help smooth that along, take away some of the princetons clutter which should cut down on turnovers, and emphasize the 1/5 PNR, which is all this team should really be running, otherwise just default to a Kobe iso or prefrerrably a D12 post up.

People are overrated what Phil did for his Lakers teams in terms of rotations and defensive philosophy--seriously his best Lakers teams were very offensive minded with LO/Pau being his best front court. He's a damned good coach, great at getting his players ready for the moment, but with this much firepower I don't know that his level of talent is even needed. Mike should be able to get it done.

All he has to do is two things - cut down on live ball turnovers and get this offensive to reach its potential. All this other shit gaffers are talking about in terms of the defensive is pretty irrelevant. The stats don't lie, Lakers are losing games because of turnovers which was a combination of the shitty princeton and timing.

I think it's a great hire, I've kind of liked him over Phil. This team needs to be a run and gun offensive juggernaut, and D'Antoni should help smooth that along, take away some of the princetons clutter which should cut down on turnovers, and emphasize the 1/5 PNR, which is all this team should really be running, otherwise just default to a Kobe iso or prefrerrably a D12 post up.

People are overrated what Phil did for his Lakers teams in terms of rotations and defensive philosophy--seriously his best Lakers teams were very offensive minded with LO/Pau being his best front court. He's a damned good coach, great at getting his players ready for the moment, but with this much firepower I don't know that his level of talent is even needed. Mike should be able to get it done.

All he has to do is two things - cut down on live ball turnovers and get this offensive to reach its potential. All this other shit gaffers are talking about in terms of the defensive is pretty irrelevant. The stats don't lie, Lakers are losing games because of turnovers which was a combination of the shitty princeton and timing.

Are you fucking high? Run and gun offense? This team is old, slow and plodding. I can see it now, an antiquated Nash running the break with a hobbled Kobe and the blazing Gasol by his side.

Their offensive timing wasn't very good but their offense wasn't the problem.

They just hired a guy who will ignore defense even more.

giga

Phil Jackson was prepared to return to the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday morning if negotiations between his agent and the team went well, a league source told ESPNLosAngeles.com late Sunday night.

When the Lakers called to tell Jackson that they had instead chosen Mike D'Antoni to be their next head coach, he was "stunned," according to the source, because he had been under the impression "it was his job to turn down" although no formal offer had ever been made.
Jim really hates Phil, huh.

Top Bottom