• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Their offensive timing wasn't very good but their offense wasn't the problem.

They just hired a guy who will ignore defense even more.

Stats say better offensive cohesion will improve the D.

Let me make this shit straight to GAF

THE LAKERS DEFENSE IS NOT THE REASON THEY ARE LOSING GAMES.

Let me say it again

They are ranked 14th defensively--that's middle of the road for a team where Dwight is still getting his legs back.

Funny thing is that they are accomplishing this while giving up the 2nd most turnovers per game behind Houston.

So despite turning the ball over almost more than anyone in the league they are statistically an average defensive team.

Stats don't lie. Improving the offense will cut down on turnovers which should help tremendously in terms of their defensive statistics, and produce more opportunities to be successful on the offensive end of the floor.

They aren't even giving up a ton of perimeter 3's--they give up .33% from deep.

I'm excited to see what can happen with Mike D.

And Kobe is playing out of his mind right now. I think he might have the highest PER in the league and he's rocking percentages of 50, 40, 90 right now. So yeah, pretty sure he's happy with his role as of now. We'll see about moving forward.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think it's a great hire, I've kind of liked him over Phil. This team needs to be a run and gun offensive juggernaut, and D'Antoni should help smooth that along, take away some of the princetons clutter which should cut down on turnovers, and emphasize the 1/5 PNR, which is all this team should really be running, otherwise just default to a Kobe iso or prefrerrably a D12 post up.

People are overrated what Phil did for his Lakers teams in terms of rotations and defensive philosophy--seriously his best Lakers teams were very offensive minded with LO/Pau being his best front court. He's a damned good coach, great at getting his players ready for the moment, but with this much firepower I don't know that his level of talent is even needed. Mike should be able to get it done.

All he has to do is two things - cut down on live ball turnovers and get this offensive to reach its potential. All this other shit gaffers are talking about in terms of the defensive is pretty irrelevant. The stats don't lie, Lakers are losing games because of turnovers which was a combination of the shitty princeton and timing.
what?

bionic77

The level of spin by Laker fans is pretty amazing.

You guys give Jim Buss way too much credit. Remember he never liked Phil and this is the same guy that thought Bynum was going to be the next Kareem. He is a moron and doesn't know what the fuck he is doing. Pringles is just a sign of what is to come.

We are FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

This doesn't make any sense d'antoni has never had a defensive of the year type of player like dwight. How can you expose something you never had?

exposed as a coach who cant stop teams when it matters. check out how often teams were scoring over 100 points a game against through his playoff stints.

KingKong

Stats say better offensive cohesion will improve the D.

Let me make this shit straight to GAF

Let me say it again

They are ranked 14th defensively--that's middle of the road for a team where Dwight is still getting his legs back.

Funny thing is that they are accomplishing this while giving up the 2nd most turnovers per game behind Houston.

So despite turning the ball over almost more than anyone in the league they are statistically an average defensive team.

They're 14th in avg points allowed and 18th in defensive rating, and that's mostly because of the Golden State blowout. They're also forcing very few turnovers just like in the last few years

KingGondo

Banned
I dare the Lakers to get into a run and gun type game with OKC.
ndtlG.gif

For all of those who wanted Phil, there was no guarantee that he could come in an get this team a ring. I was pessimistic about even re-hiring him because of how sour things end last time and even worse would be the reaction if they failed to put it together this season. You give Phil his standard 10 mil, let him hire his guys, his own travel schedule etc. and no ring at the end? we'd all wish that the Mayan calender would have been real.

ib2HqoA5Gv8OyU.jpg

Credit to RealGM.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
For all of those who wanted Phil, there was no guarantee that he could come in an get this team a ring. I was pessimistic about even re-hiring him because of how sour things end last time and even worse would be the reaction if they failed to put it together this season. You give Phil his standard 10 mil, let him hire his guys, his own travel schedule etc. and no ring at the end? we'd all wish that the Mayan calender would have been real.

The thing this isn't on a team that's built to compete over the next 4 years. It was this year or bust. That was the mindset the entire time. Dwight can simply walk, Nash is old as shit, Kobe isn't going to play another 4 years.

bionic77

ib2HqoA5Gv8OyU.jpg

Credit to RealGM.
You are right.

Why hire the most successful bball coach of all time when you can get a Mr. Pringles?

Once you pop you can't stop!

Blackace

ib2HqoA5Gv8OyU.jpg

Credit to RealGM.

Wait you would rather have Mike D and fail because hiring Phil and failure would make you feel bad?

Pimpwerx

So, I woke up to hear Pringles is the new Lakers coach.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Someone on twitter said it best. "It's like your mom saying she's bringing home pizza, then finding out it's Little Caesars." LOL! Dat bait and switch on Lakers Age. This is sure to fix the Lakers' abysmal defense. PEACE.

You are right.

Why hire the most successful bball coach of all time when you can get a Mr. Pringles?

Once you pop you can't stop!

Wait you would rather have Mike D and fail because hiring Phil and failure would make you feel bad?

Hiring Phil and failing again would be the ultimate joke. Who benefits from that? Phil and the Lakers pushed it to the limit one season more than they needed. I didn't like the fit and the likely demands don't guarantee a ring at all. It ended badly the last time. I would fear more tarnish to his legacy and the Lakers if that happened this season.

Blackace

Hiring Phil and failing again would be the ultimate joke. Who benefits from that? Phil and the Lakers pushed it to the limit one season more than they needed. I didn't like the fit and the likely demands don't guarantee a ring at all. It ended badly the last time. I would fear more tarnish to his legacy and the Lakers if that happened this season.

You like the fit of Mike D Metta, Old Kobe and Pau?

I can't believe the Wolves injury luck so far this year. Rubio. Love, JJ, and now Budinger. What the hell? I hope they can all get healthy soon enough to keep them in contention. No one has suffered more than Wolves fans over the last 5 years, they deserve some luck.

I just had a vision!! Lakers-Age, come and sit around papa Clovis for a quick second for I have a tedtimony to provide and supply for your nourishment and hope!!

Last night was the beginning of a new challenge for our nation. We've faced great challenges throughout our history. The forfathers of our elders went through them. Elders West and Baylor. Elders Kareem and Magic. Elders Kobe and Phil. For they've gone through terrible temptations and lived to tell the tales. This generation shall be no different!!

Look around my children! Our enemies are laughing at us. They are dismissing us. They have already given up on us and want us to do the same and I did BUT I have been given FAITH. Faith that Mike DAN TONI is our avenue to return to the glory we have missed for this loooooooong dark age. He will be our Ollie and WE will be his Notman Dale! We will cheer. We will give him our confidence that we KNOW HE CAN AND WILL DELIVER!!!

Let not your hearts be troubled this morning. For when it feels the darkness has overcome us THAT is when our colors SHALL SHINE THROUGH! The prideful and great colors of greatness SHALL DELIVER US ONCE AGAIN!! Purple and Gold. PURPLE AND GOLD. PURPLE AND GOLD. LETS GO OUT AND CHEER FOR OUR MIKE DAN TONI!!!!

bionic77

What the fuck was I thinking?

I was hoping that Jim Buss would stop being a dickless asshole and would try and hire a great head coach to give us a chance to win a championship with a really expensive and loaded roster. But here I was being all selfish instead of thinking of poor Phil Jackson's legacy...

Sorry Laker fans, Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. You all need to fuck off and stop making it all about yourselves.

Top Bottom