• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi NBA-Gaf.

I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of basketball. I mean I played street ball plenty as a kid. I just never got into organized basketball.

However, my 12 year old son loves it. This will be his second year on a team and they have asked me to help coach the team. I said yes. So here is where I need your help.

I need to brush up on my basketball IQ. I already know I want to watch the Lakers. But I need a second team to follow and watch too. If anyone says Heat. I'm going to lose my mind.

Help me out NBA-Gaf. Show me the way.

I nominate the Raptors. They'll give you a really good idea of what to expect from those kids.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hi NBA-Gaf.

I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of basketball. I mean I played street ball plenty as a kid. I just never got into organized basketball.

However, my 12 year old son loves it. This will be his second year on a team and they have asked me to help coach the team. I said yes. So here is where I need your help.

I need to brush up on my basketball IQ. I already know I want to watch the Lakers. But I need a second team to follow and watch too. If anyone says Heat. I'm going to lose my mind.

Yikes... well, the correct answer is San Antonio - they play beautiful basketball. (If you actually want to learn basketball, I suggest watching a terribad team though. You'll pick up on all the things that they do wrong before you pick up on all the things that a great team does right).

For coaching 12 year olds, you can bust your entire league by running a motion offense. Kids won't even have to dribble. All you need to do is drill the importance of setting a screen into their heads and have everyone willing to pass. It wasn't even fair, and they stopped letting me run it for the kids in my rec league.

snack

Yikes... well, the correct answer is San Antonio - they play beautiful basketball. (If you actually want to learn basketball, I suggest watching a terribad team though. You'll pick up on all the things that they do wrong before you pick up on all the things that a great team does right).

For coaching 12 year olds, you can bust your entire league by running a motion offense. Kids won't even have to dribble. All you need to do is drill the importance of setting a screen into their heads and have everyone willing to pass. It wasn't even fair, and they stopped letting me run it for the kids in my rec league.
lol, I love teaching kids ball. Did it last spring with a buddy and it was so fun.

Seriously... Kids are so energetic that they make me jumpy too.

SamuraiX-

Hi NBA-Gaf.

• San Antonio Spurs
  • Memphis Grizzlies
  • Boston Celtics
  • Chicago Bulls

The Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni as head coach.

7vHhY.jpg

untitled-12r2j07.gif

DY_nasty

Oh. One more thing. DO NOT RUN A ZONE. EVER.

Most people who think they're running a zone, are not. Most people who think they can teach one, can not.
lol, I love teaching kids ball. Did it last spring with a buddy and it was so fun.

Seriously... Kids are so energetic that they make me jumpy too.

Kids are great. Once you get to high school ball you want to kidney punch them though.

But with 12 year olds they usually suck massive ass. Can't hit backboard-ass. Can't rebound-ass. Can't play defense without mugging someone-ass. Can't dribble with either hand-ass. Every once in a while, you get some that are ahead of the curve though and they typically think they can run people off the court. And they probably do in their neighborhood - but teaching them organized ball after they get humbled going 1 on 5 enough times is what's fun for me.

I love how this off-season I was getting shouted down about how easy this Laker squad was gonna have it. You know, because they just fit together so perfectly.

Now nobodies sure of whats best for this perfect roster and the guy they just picked seems to be one of the worst options.

charsace

Every one has to be a winner. I ran 2-3 and 3-2 for kids. Depended on how big the other team was.

Most people who think they're running a zone, are not. Most people who think they can teach one, can not.

Kids are great. Once you get to high school ball you want to kidney punch them though.

But with 12 year olds they usually suck massive ass. Can't hit backboard-ass. Can't rebound-ass. Can't play defense without mugging someone-ass. Can't dribble with either hand-ass. Every once in a while, you get some that are ahead of the curve though and they typically think they can run people off the court. And they probably do in their neighborhood - but teaching them organized ball after they get humbled going 1 on 5 enough times is what's fun for me.
I guess it depends on the place. When I was 12 my team ran zone. And the guards on most of the teams could handle.

I understand reasons why they wouldn’t choose Phil. I have my reservations for D'antoni though. Dude intentionally tries to free up the basket and unclog the paint, yet we have two big men that need the paint and we don’t have shooters spreading the floor. We’re also old.

DY_nasty

He really isn't. You think its just some coincidence that the knicks instantly started winning after he left?
Knicks winning and losing had a lot to do with Carmelo and Amare being worthless.

Mike Brown has always been a hack.
Every one has to be a winner. I ran 2-3 and 3-2 for kids. Depended on how big the other team was.
I don't like running zone because you simply can't teach it to kids that young. You don't have the time to even begin to teach how to rotate individually and as a unit. You end up teaching a football zone.

edit: box-1 is different, but i'll be damned if i ever run that. if one kid is busting my team's ass that much, then i'll make sure that everyone on my roster gets a turn grabbing their ankles.

charsace

I understand reasons why they wouldn’t choose Phil. I have my reservations for D'antoni though. Dude intentionally tries to free up the basket and unclog the paint, yet we have two big men that need the paint and we don’t have shooters spreading the floor. We’re also old.

Pau for 3. Learn that motherfucker.

I have to say i´m shocked with this news, but people are going over the top with D´antoni.

He´s good, he´s not the trash bin people say he is.

Lakers will be surprisingly good, and have a very good chance of chipping it this year. Of course this hiring was all shit and giggles, but if it wasn´t Phil, then it was the best choice.

It´s a shame because i wanted Phil to come back, but Jim is an ass so there´s that.

The first thing that popped in my mind after this was "how cool would it be if Del Negro happens and he´s booted for Phil?".

Then, it´s the Clippers, fascist owner, blah blah blah.

I´ll say this if i´m the owner of an NBA franchise: if Phil Jackson is asking full control to coach my team, i give him full control, money, a bag of chips and more to have that in my team. The Lakers might have said no, but i´m sure other teams will offer him similar things.

Flash

He really isn't. You think its just some coincidence that the knicks instantly started winning after he left?

Knicks and D'antoni were an awful fit. Just turrible...Melo is an ISO player which is why they never really saw success together.

Lakers are a different story...they may be slow but they have Nash at helm and guys that he can run pnr with. Lakers need to somehow get some 3 pt shooters.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

hey thanks for tips. sounds like you have experience coaching young kids so I'll definitely try to get them running a motion offense. Whenever I figure out what that is. :lol

Edit
Well some obvious parental bias. But like I said before I've played plenty of 'street ball' I was always know for my ball handling skills so I've worked with my kid almost exclusively on ball handling and bank shots. We both practice a running dribble up and down the driveway while looking up. Then switch hands every other lap. I'd say his ball handling skills are above average. But he's 5'9" already so he's one of the taller kids in the league. So I guess I need to start going over posting and turnaround fade shots with him.

Canuck76

Banned
Hi NBA-Gaf.

Basketball IQ, i would maybe watch the spurs. Sound, basketball, if a little complex.

I would just do what DY said, teach how the screen to these kids and run basic plays for them to use it. Also, shoot nothing outside of 8ft. Maybe you might have some kids who are great at shooting, but from what i've seen from my sisters and brothers 12 year old games, kids are terrible at shooting.

Just drill fundamentals, and make sure they're not making the basic mistakes (double dribble, travel) Preach the pass.

Usually 14-15 year old kids, they need a bit more coaching, and are able to do more because they can shoot/dribble way better. But 12 year old basketball is just brutal heaves at the basket with battles under the basket lasting a long time

Also pringles and mac-10 together would be amazing, coaching squad. I still think nate wants his own team tho

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm hearing the Spurs a lot and obviously Poppo is a good coach. So I think I'll watch a horribly coached team and a good coached team.

That means I can still watch the Lakers, amirite?

Knicks and D'antoni were an awful fit. Just turrible...Melo is an ISO player which is why they never really saw success together.

Lakers are a different story...they may be slow but they have Nash at helm and guys that he can run pnr with. Lakers need to somehow get some 3 pt shooters.

As bad a fit as the Knicks may have been, these Lakers are even worse. Kobe is just as ISO-centric as Melo and alot older. They are old and have almost no shooting. Pace is the very last thing this team needs. Dwight as a primary roll man is usually great in a PnR but he certainly can't be effective as Amare was in that system with his lack of range. Just isn't going to work.

Lakers are gonna need D'antoni to successfully come up with and implement a system that is almost completely different from what he's coached before and somehow get it done with a team that has struggled to adapt to a different offense. All without a training camp or preseason. I won't even go into defense.

Color me skeptical..

Seems like a win win for Nate. If the lakers win he's going to be well sought after. If they lose he can win the job as an interem coach when Mike is fired.

BobLoblaw

Banned
D'Antoni alone isn't good enough. If he can actually land Nate, I think the two of them could equate to about 2/3 of Phil Jackson. Should be interesting.

DY_nasty

hey thanks for tips. sounds like you have experience coaching young kids so I'll definitely try to get them running a motion offense. Whenever I figure out what that is. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiANn5r5HU

This is actually the same video that I used when I started youth coaching in my area.

A lot of people try and throw out zones because of teambuilding, "ease of use" (which is bullshit), and the fact that it will typically shutdown hyperactive guards. Motion will make the best out of what you typically get in a 12 year old league - one big fat kid, and one kid who can actually handle the ball, maybe a decent shooter, and a bunch of terrible. You're not running set plays (you can make up whatever you want on the fly for any situation that you need to down the line) but the motion offense is basically going to give you free points just by being run consistently. Especially because it clowns ball watchers and zones. By being a continuous "rhythm" offense, you can give the players you trust a bit of leeway in it whenever they have mismatches or see patterns.

Its one of the most basic offenses that you can teach and anyone going to organized basketball later will benefit greatly from it. Most kids don't know what a playbook is or even what a real offense is. It gives them a big leg up going forward.
Well some obvious parental bias. But like I said before I've played plenty of 'street ball' I was always know for my ball handling skills so I've worked with my kid almost exclusively on ball handling and bank shots. We both practice a running dribble up and down the driveway while looking up. Then switch hands every other lap. I'd say his ball handling skills are above average. But he's 5'9" already so he's one of the taller kids in the league. So I guess I need to start going over posting and turnaround fade shots with him.
Best things my dad ever taught me were how to practice shooting and the importance of body positioning as a guard.

Some people don't understand that practicing shooting isn't just jacking up shots from wherever. You need to set goals - and set places that you feel you can always be successful from. I was taking at least 500 shots a day from the left elbow. When I was actually having a real practice, that number tripled - and the shots varied from fades, pull ups out of full sprints, drives from and around that spot, etc. Its not just the shot, but being comfortable and versatile from where you shoot.

And as for positioning... I'm not a big guy, but I played a lot bigger than I was. Getting people on my hip, how to lower a shoulder, footwork, feeling where someone's weight is - but that's something you have to teach from a standpoint of experience.

As bad a fit as the Knicks may have been, these Lakers are even worse. Kobe is just as ISO-centric as Melo and alot older. They are old and have almost no shooting. Pace is the very last thing this team needs. Dwight as a primary roll man is usually great in a PnR but he certainly can't be effective as Amare was in that system with his lack of range. Just isn't going to work.

Lakers are gonna need D'antoni to successfully come up with and implement a system that is almost completely different from what he's coached before and somehow get it done with a team that has struggled to adapt to a different offense. All without a training camp or preseason. I won't even go into defense.
Color me skeptical..

Bascially this. I feel like getting Phil would require several people to learn a new offence. I feel like getting D'antoni requires D'antoni to learn a new offense.

One exception, if you have an athletic guy with good awareness you can stick him in the middle of the zone and get steals for days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiANn5r5HU

This is actually the same video that I used when I started youth coaching in my area.

A lot of people try and throw out zones because of teambuilding, "ease of use" (which is bullshit), and the fact that it will typically shutdown hyperactive guards. Motion will make the best out of what you typically get in a 12 year old league - one big fat kid, and one kid who can actually handle the ball, maybe a decent shooter, and a bunch of terrible. You're not running set plays (you can make up whatever you want on the fly for any situation that you need to down the line) but the motion offense is basically going to give you free points just by being run consistently. Especially because it clowns ball watchers and zones. By being a continuous "rhythm" offense, you can give the players you trust a bit of leeway in it whenever they have mismatches or see patterns.

Its one of the most basic offenses that you can teach and anyone going to organized basketball later will benefit greatly from it. Most kids don't know what a playbook is or even what a real offense is. It gives them a big leg up going forward.
Best things my dad ever taught me were how to practice shooting and the importance of body positioning as a guard.

Some people don't understand that practicing shooting isn't just jacking up shots from wherever. You need to set goals - and set places that you feel you can always be successful from. I was taking at least 500 shots a day from the left elbow. When I was actually having a real practice, that number tripled - and the shots varied from fades, pull ups out of full sprints, drives from and around that spot, etc. Its not just the shot, but being comfortable and versatile from where you shoot.

And as for positioning... I'm not a big guy, but I played a lot bigger than I was. Getting people on my hip, how to lower a shoulder, footwork, feeling where someone's weight is - but that's something you have to teach from a standpoint of experience.

Hard making the pros when you're only 5'4", DY.

bionic77

Hi NBA-Gaf.

The pro game is hard to copy as a coach, especially for little kids most of whom are still working on basic skills like dribbling, defense, etc.

You would be much better served going online and learning some drills to teach the kids so that they develop those fundamentals. 5 on 5 basketball is nothing like street ball or one on one and it can be intimidating for little kids. Most of coaching is done before the game ever takes place, especially at your level. If you want to watch live games then watch some college games instead. Much easier to copy and the slower pace makes it easier to see what is going on from a coaching and game level.

If you can get the kids in better shape, teach them the fundamentals and then how to play together then you are a great coach, but it is a lot easier to talk about then actually do it. I mean at that age you want to run and shoot all the time. There is only one ball though.

i'm just on my third year watching BBall and i found Minny (with Rubio and Love back), the Clippers and Bulls with Rose to be the most entertaining to watch.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
i'm just on my third year watching BBall and i found Minny (with Rubio and Love back), the Clippers and Bulls with Rose to be the most entertaining to watch.

You are a godawful human being and I hope you cry yourself to sleep every night.

Oh hey look, Black Mamba is spinning this as a positive. Fuck Phil Jackson!
I made it clear before I'd be okay with d'antoni but was hoping Phil would come back.

It's clear to me Phil wanted too much especially if not going on the road is true. There's nothing to spin. He was the best coach after Phil for this team and I still believe Phil doesn't really want to coach. It is what it is.

I also stated my worries on d and bench with mike. Don't know how this will play out. Just glad someone is here to let Nash be Nash.

h3ro

I made it clear before I'd be okay with d'antoni but was hoping Phil would come back.

It's clear to me Phil wanted too much especially if not going on the road is true. There's nothing to spin. He was the best coach after Phil for this team and I still believe Phil doesn't really want to coach. It is what it is.

I also stated my worries on d a bench win mike. Don't know how this will play out. Just glad someone is here to let Nash be Nash.
You have neo-dolan running your team. Get used to these kinds of decisions. Ones made based on spite and ego instead of basketball reasons.

I never had to get used to it. Its all I've ever known.

Top Bottom