• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

charsace

Lakers are fucking dumb. I like 'Antoni, but Phil is the GOAT basketball coach. Buss's son fucking sucks at running a sports franchise. Let Phil and the daughter run it. After the holdovers move on the Lakers are gonna suck.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also its kind of fucked up how Lakers management already threw D'Antoni under the bus before they even hired him. Why even tease Phil out there if you aren't going to make it look like hes the one who turned down the job? Now fans are going to be pissed at that too. If Pringles really was the guy all along then they should have just simply hired him.

Flash

Lakers are fucking dumb. I like 'Antoni, but Phil is the GOAT basketball coach. Buss's son fucking sucks at running a sports franchise. Let Phil and the daughter run it. After the holdovers move on the Lakers are gonna suck.

lol if Jackson was asking for a stake in ownership its not unreasonble that the buss family went in another direction.

and we don't know the extent of his travel restrictions - I can't imagine him missing a lot of road games (along with the entire off-season / pre-season) to bode well with attempts to salvage this messy situation.

my guess is that negotiations with Phil hit a snag over personnel power and him wanting a stake in ownership.

As they should have. If you owned the Lakers, you would not be so easy to give up your stake in the team.

Phil may be GOAT, but its not his team. Put a ring on it if you want in man!

Flash

As they should have. If you owned the Lakers, you would not be so easy to give up your stake in the team.

Phil may be GOAT, but its not his team. Put a ring on it if you want in man!

yup... it doesn't really make sense to give him a stake in the franchise for the possibility (albeit a good one) of getting a ring. that would be an extremely dumb business decision.

I thought it was unrealistic for Phil (or anyone, including Mike) to come in during the season, with no camp and no preseason, and try and successfully implement a new system with a group of guys that were already struggling to learn a new offense. I wish they would have just rode it out with an interim and then made a smart, educated and patient decision on head coach in the offseason.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I just woke up to find out they hired D'Antoni?

lmao

Greatest news of all time.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I thought it was unrealistic for Phil (or anyone, including Mike) to come in during the season, with no camp and no preseason, and try and successfully implement a new system with a group of guys that were already struggling to learn a new offense. I wish they would have just rode it out with an interim and then made a smart, educated and patient decision on head coach in the offseason.

D'antoni system will be Nash/Duhon. Thats is another plus to hiring him he will likely be able to give the Lakers the level of PG play to make it work....until he runs both Nash and Duhon into the ground. I cannot emphasize enough how bad of an idea it is to get somebody like D'antoni who naturally likes to avoid going deep into his bench on a team that lacks a reliably decent 6th man and has aging starters.

Flash

would agree if this was say miami or OKC. But this team is old... you make your move as fast as you can and salvage whatever time you have. Who knows how much longer you have with a productive Nash or Kobe.

But now that D'antoni is the coach they need to make some changes. MWP is a horrible fit... no idea what they are going to do with him. And while I love Gasol they should try to see what they could get for him. If they can pick up a some good shooters / solid bench role players, they should go for it. Their offense needs to be centered around Nash and Dwight and Kobe getting his. Other then that they need guys to make their 3s and keep the floor open.

Might sound kind of ridiculous but I think Bargnani + Calderon for Gasol makes a lot of sense for the Lakers. They get a very solid back up pg who can take care of the ball and run the second unit, and Bargnani is a pretty good shooter who will make open shots. Calderon will be able to provide much needed relief for Nash who can take it easy untill the playoffs and I think Calderon will get a big boost from D'antoni's system.
And then we get rid of Bargnani and Calderon...lol

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
would agree if this was say miami or OKC. But this team is old... you make your move as fast as you can and salvage whatever time you have. Who knows how much longer you have with a productive Nash or Kobe.

But now that D'antoni is the coach they need to make some changes. MWP is a horrible fit... no idea what they are going to do with him. And while I love Gasol they should try to see what they could get for him. If they can pick up a some good shooters / solid bench role players, they should go for it. Their offense needs to be centered around Nash and Dwight and Kobe getting his. Other then that they need guys to make their 3s and keep the floor open.

Might sound kind of ridiculous but I think Bargnani + Calderon for Gasol makes a lot of sense for the Lakers. They get a very solid back up pg who can take care of the ball and run the second unit, and Bargnani is a pretty good shooter who will make open shots.
and then we get rid of Bargnani and Calderon...lol

Amare for Gasol.... and a first rounder

Might sound kind of ridiculous but I think Bargnani + Calderon for Gasol makes a lot of sense for the Lakers. They get a very solid back up pg who can take care of the ball and run the second unit, and Bargnani is a pretty good shooter who will make open shots.
and then we get rid of Bargnani and Calderon...lol

I just question how well it would have ended either way.

Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, and Mitch Kupchak were unanimous in their decision to go with D'Antoni. Say what you want about Jim but I trust the other two.

reilo

Oh hey look, Black Mamba is spinning this as a positive. Fuck Phil Jackson!

Flash

Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, and Mitch Kupchak were unanimous in their decision to go with D'Antoni. Say what you want about Jim but I trust the other two.

not saying D'antoni was a bad decision (I think he was your best option after Jackson) but I can't imagine word getting out that they weren't on the same page. Shit would be even crazier in Lakers land if that was the case. Remember all that unanimous support for Brown a week ago? Ya... ok.

shira

Might sound kind of ridiculous but I think Bargnani + Calderon for Gasol makes a lot of sense for the Lakers. They get a very solid back up pg who can take care of the ball and run the second unit, and Bargnani is a pretty good shooter who will make open shots. Calderon will be able to provide much needed relief for Nash who can take it easy untill the playoffs and I think Calderon will get a big boost from D'antoni's system.
And then we get rid of Bargnani and Calderon...lol

So this was BC's plan all along. Trade bargs and calderon for 2020 2nd round pick

not saying D'antoni was a bad decision (I think he was your best option after Jackson) but I can't imagine word getting out that they weren't on the same page. Shit would be even crazier in Lakers land if that was the case. Remember all that unanimous support for Brown a week ago? Ya... ok.

It actually got out that Mitch wanted to give him more time and Jim said no.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I7UhE.png

Flash

Mike D'antoni was the best decision with Phil Jackson out the picture just because Kobe and Nash get along with / respect him...

I think Sloan would need an entire off season to get any real success out of this season, and Nash's crappy defense wouldn't really work here. As for their next option, Dunleavy, well...lol. SVG wouldn't come because of the whole Dwight ordeal, and JVG seems happy commentating. Shaw is too risky - he's never been an NBA head coach and he's already under contractual obligations. Only other guy that would work is McMillan but he probably doesn't command the respect from the locker room that is going to be necessary to immediately rectify the situation.

Too bad they went with Brown instead of Adelman... I'm a huge fan of Adelman.

Who knew that I would long for Mike Brown photos getting posted?

This is like asking your parents to buy you an iPad for Christmas and instead you get a Kindle Fire.

FML

The L stands for Lakers here... :(

reilo

Ken Berger said:
Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.

Don't think Nate's pride would let him take an assistant role.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hi NBA-Gaf.

I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of basketball. I mean I played street ball plenty as a kid. I just never got into organized basketball.

However, my 12 year old son loves it. This will be his second year on a team and they have asked me to help coach the team. I said yes. So here is where I need your help.

I need to brush up on my basketball IQ. I already know I want to watch the Lakers. But I need a second team to follow and watch too. If anyone says Heat. I'm going to lose my mind.

Help me out NBA-Gaf. Show me the way.

I can't even

tumblr_mctxtlgOso1rzq3b5.gif

i feel you brah.
3 fucking years of this defenseless clown.

Hi NBA-Gaf.

I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of basketball. I mean I played street ball plenty as a kid. I just never got into organized basketball.

However, my 12 year old son loves it. This will be his second year on a team and they have asked me to help coach the team. I said yes. So here is where I need your help.

I need to brush up on my basketball IQ. I already know I want to watch the Lakers. But I need a second team to follow and watch too. If anyone says Heat. I'm going to lose my mind.

my pick goes to memphies. offensively balanced team with post players and shooters

reilo

They were both assistants together in Bejing and London with Coach K.

I think they get along pretty well.

Olympics was a temporary stint for a couple of months and a service to his country.

Being a full-time assistant? I think Nate thinks he's above that. It's not about them getting along or anything. Just my hunch.

Becuase Phil wanted the other two's jobs basically.

Look I love Phil, and will never forget what he did for this franchise, but you know what he treated Jerry West like shit, and never gave anyone too much respect. He wanted to bring in Scottie Pippen? I could already tell this was a last cash grab for him and his friends.

If said "ok I will coach this team" it would have been fine, but to ask for 12 Million, final roster decisions, a stake in the organization etc.............. Sorry dude.

Hi NBA-Gaf.

Just watch Spurs games and copy Gregg Popovich

Flash

Hi NBA-Gaf.

Check out some of Coach Nick's videos too... as for another team, I'd go with San Antonio.

Mike D'antoni was the best decision with Phil Jackson out the picture just because Kobe and Nash get along with / respect him...

I think Sloan would need an entire off season to get any real success out of this season, and Nash's crappy defense wouldn't really work here. As for their next option, Dunleavy, well...lol. SVG wouldn't come because of the whole Dwight ordeal, and JVG seems happy commentating. Shaw is too risky - he's never been an NBA head coach and he's already under contractual obligations. Only other guy that would work is McMillan but he probably doesn't command the respect from the locker room that is going to be necessary to immediately rectify the situation.

Too bad they went with Brown instead of Adelman... I'm a huge fan of Adelman.

For the life of me, I will never understand this ever.

Top Bottom