• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Once he turned 35, Stockton played less than 30MPG. Nash needs to do the same.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...oni-hired-los-angeles-lakers-coach/index.html

• He will fly to L.A. on Wednesday morning but will take at least a few days to acclimate himself. He is still on crutches but, then, in a metaphorical sense, so are the Lakers, who are 3-4.
• Steve Nash is supposed to return from a small fracture in his left fibula early next week. An educated guess would put D'Antoni in charge by that date.
I've asked D'Antoni in recent months if he thought that Nash, at 38, could still play a high-octane offense. "Steve can still do anything," responded D'Antoni, who is -- and this is beyond obvious -- said to be thrilled to be rejoining the quarterback he helped turn into a two-time MVP in Phoenix.

Sounds like Pringles first game as coach will be against the Suns or Rockets. Stern scripted this shit all along.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So I haven't caught up on the thread yet, is it confirmed Buss trolled the shit out of Phil?

More like Buss called Phil up to start some negotiations, maybe even give more than he wanted to in order to get him back. Phil showed up with his daughter and a kilo, put a bag of dicks on the table, and told him to swallow that shit.
...he was the most efficient spot up shooter in the league last year

tell that to knux lol

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Its a professional team. 8 or 9 should only be playing anyway.

Jordan Hill is going right back to D'antoni's doghouse and once MWP acts up he'll end there too. The best chance the lakers have with D'antoni is if they've decided (wisely) to go into rebuild mode and want him to over value their assets for trade. Even though Denver didn't have a choice D'antoni can say "hey my system inflated stats enough for a star trade". The Lakers may be looking into the same thing. Which if that is true a whole lot of teams are going to get raped. GM's should order their vaseline now....

Phil wanted to groom his successor, have control over personell decisions, and miss half the road games.

link or this is just a rumor for rationalizing Buss bad decision making.

Canuck76

Banned
mike d with the blazer coach might not work as well as it sounds.mike d and DY's favorite coach mike woodson didnt work out as well as it should have.

I think it could be useful

Mike's sort of the good cop, encouraging and helping this team get a good flow and pace on the offense.

Nate would be the bad cop and get on people about D and ream people out when needed.

I think that's the thing with this squad. You want to help them be better but you need a bit of a poop disturber who's unafraid to hold any of these guys accountable or correct them or even get on their case when needed.

When everything had become too hard with the New York Knicks, D'Antoni walked into the office one morning and surrendered. Carmelo Anthony had stopped listening to him, stopped running his plays, and ownership never supported the coach. When Anthony grumbled to Bryant about D'Antoni's defensive acumen on a trip to Los Angeles before the coach's resignation in New York, one witness says Bryant shot back to Anthony – only half-kidding – that, seriously, when the hell have you ever played defense?

lmao

people getting the game twisted because of the knicks 4-0 start

wake up, Melo is a cancer.

1.5 assists per game with his type of usage so far...

I mean that's hard to do. You almost have to try not to get an assist when the ball is in your hands that much.

Someone give me a Pringles avatar

1w7AY.jpg

I mean that's hard to do. You almost have to try not to get an assist when the ball is in your hands that much.

if you actually watched the games you will see that knicks over pass now.melo passes way more now and others too so he doesnt get all assist due to overpassing.im sick of that bs.

Then explain why 2s and 3s produced well below average production last season against the Lakers.

The literal only thing that Artest and Barnes could do at an NBA level was try on defense which lead to decent wing defense.

And why have your wings try to score when the 1-5 pick-and-roll would destroy the Lakers almost every time last year?

The literal only thing that Artest and Barnes could do at an NBA level was try on defense which lead to decent wing defense.

And why have your wings try to score when the 1-5 pick-and-roll would destroy the Lakers almost every time last year?

Barnes and Artest played the same position. That doesn't explain 2 positions.

The PG defense was crap. Pau isn't anything special. If the Lakers were dead weight at 3 spots, what explains their overall D?

The right answer is:

He's gotten worse over time yes, but he still plays decent D

Kobe takes plays off. But he still plays decent D and can play good D when he needs to. See: Ty Lawson game 7.

Barnes and Artest played the same position. That doesn't explain 2 positions.

The PG defense was crap. Pau isn't anything special. If the Lakers were dead weight at 3 spots, what explains their overall D?

Uhh, they were pretty average in defense last year despite having a defense-only coach and being able to save their energy via playing at a slow pace. I don't know if you really want to "credit" someone on the perimeter for that when you supposedly had the second best center in the NBA last year.

Also, SFs can frequently defend SGs.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
See: Ty Lawson game 7.

Speaking of which, former pony, I've won my last 6 bets here. Adam is gonna be my bottom bitch all year, so I may as well start making new ones...

I'm this close to saying that NY will finish with a better record than LA.

Uhh, they were pretty average in defense last year despite having a defense-only coach and being able to save their energy via playing at a slow pace. I don't know if you really want to "credit" someone on the perimeter for that when you supposedly had the second best center in the NBA last year.

Also, SFs can frequently defend SGs.

which means the SG is defending the SF. Which is why I said production from both[/i[ positions was below average.

Lakers were 2 points better with Kobe on D than without.

The Lakers starting lineup with Fisher had a defensive rating of 97.5. Again, explain this is Kobe plays "no defense."

Speaking of which, former pony, I've won my last 6 bets here. Adam is gonna be my bottom bitch all year, so I may as well start making new ones...

I'm this close to saying that NY will finish with a better record than LA

I never take bets regarding my teams. Sorry. It's something I've vowed and won't break.

Vahagn

How people are rationalizing Hiring Pringles over Phil is beyond me. And all this talk about the Triangle wouldn't be a good fit is a joke, Phil makes adjustments all the time, the Lakers ran PnR with Kobe and Pau which isn't a Triangle element because Phil is smart enough to make changes to fit his personnel strength.

With what D'Antoni did in NY, it's clear D'Antoni isn't.

Also, read between the lines, Phil wanted to coach for a couple years and then move into a management position with the Lakers, as has been reported before, just like Pat in Miami. As a Laker fan, I for damn sure want Phil making decisions over Jim and if he stayed on after coaching to groom a successor (like Pat) and make personnel decisions (like Pat) that would improve our chances of winning after Kobe retires.

Huge huge mistake by the management team here.

Edit: we should have just hired Adelman last year!

How people are rationalizing Hiring Pringles over Phil is beyond me. And all this talk about the Triangle wouldn't be a good fit is a joke, Phil makes adjustments all the time, the Lakers ran PnR with Kobe and Pau which isn't a Triangle element because Phil is smart enough to make changes to fit his personnel strength.

With what D'Antoni did in NY, it's clear D'Antoni isn't.

Also, read between the lines, Phil wanted to coach for a couple years and then move into a management position with the Lakers, as has been reported before, just like Pat in Miami. As a Laker fan, I for damn sure want Phil making decisions over Jim and if he stayed on after coaching to groom a successor (like Pat) and make personnel decisions (like Pat) that would improve our chances of winning after Kobe retires.

Huge huge mistake by the management team here.

It was more than that. Phil didn't want to go to road games, go to shootaround, veto all personnel decisions now.

It's not the same as Pat. Arison just owns the team and needed someone to fill the void. Basically, they were asking Mitch to hire Phil and then leave if that was the case. Why would Mitch do this? coaching wise, I am not saying Mike D is better. But I can understand why the Buss family didn't want this. And this was Jerry's call, apparently. He put his foot down and decided to leave Phil last night from what local reporters said.

Buss already let Phil run Jerry West out of town...

Lakers situation is odd.

Where there is smoke there is fire, and if something smells like shit there's probably shit around.

We're talking about a guy who has openly been involved with Dr.Buss' daughter for years now and has delivered 5 chips to the franchise.

It just seems almost impossible that he wouldn't end up the headcoach or have a high management position without there being some seriously weird shit going on.

Could be as simple as Dr. Buss wanting his son to feel wanted/useful, but IDK, that family has a really weird dynamic.

Bynum out til Jan? Goddamn where were your basketball reasons, Philly? Now you are going to have to decide whether or not to give this dude the max based on 40 (if you're lucky) games of production. Good luck with that. This is why I said the Dwight trade would be a success for LA even if Dwight walks.

Vandiger

Sigh, all Jimbo's fault. If he only chose Adelmann, none of this shit would be going on. I'm guessing Blake and Hill will be fucked over? Curious how Pau will be used.

giri

D'Antoni?

hahahahahha

hey lakers-age, you might want to go look for brian skinner, i hear he's available, and an ex-suns player too.

The only world in which hiring D'Antoni would have made sense is in a world where the Chris Paul trade went through and the Lakers ended up with Chris Paul and Dwight Howard plus an athletic 4.

Also god dammit espn reports saying Phil Jackson was going to coach even if he didn't get his demands.

The only world in which hiring D'Antoni would have made sense is in a world where the Chris Paul trade went through and the Lakers ended up with Chris Paul and Dwight Howard plus an athletic 4.

Also god dammit espn reports saying Phil Jackson was going to coach even if he didn't get his demands.

Woj is saying both sides have agreed to make it seem like the Lakers imply chose Mike D.

But his sources, which tend to be very reliable, say it isn't true. Local reporters seem to verify Woj from what I've heard.

All you're doing is looking at stats, please proceed to shut up.

giri

Oh So Juicy, look at all that laker back peddling! for years D'Antoni copped shit from them.

Now the rationalizations. So glorious.

which means the SG is defending the SF. Which is why I said production from both[/i[ positions was below average.

Lakers were 2 points better with Kobe on D than without.

The Lakers starting lineup with Fisher had a defensive rating of 97.5. Again, explain this is Kobe plays "no defense."

The Lakers' DRtg was better when Kobe was on the court because he played way more in the first half of the season (when no team knew how to score and when the Lakers were trying) than the second half of the season (when teams remembered how to score and when the Lakers had given up on defense). If you want to use Defensive plus or minus, Pau has far more impressive numbers and you just called him "dead-weight" so I'm not sure what direction you're even going in this argument.

Also, a lot of teams have their best wing defender defend the best wing scorer on the other team and that leads to good defense at both positions since the bad defender (Kobe) gets to defend the bum who doesn't produce while the good defender (Artest) gets to the good players and thus production is lower for that player as well.

Regardless of this, Kobe takes a ton of plays off on defense and plays with a mostly abominable effort level on defense so him talking about the effort Melo has on defense is fairly hilarious.

Also, Melo's team is better on defense than Kobe's and a lot of his teammates could be called dead weight on defense and the Knicks were good at defending wings last year so I guess he's as good or better than Kobe going by some of these strands of logic.

Bynum out til Jan? Goddamn where were your basketball reasons, Philly? Now you are going to have to decide whether or not to give this dude the max based on 40 (if you're lucky) games of production. Good luck with that. This is why I said the Dwight trade would be a success for LA even if Dwight walks.

Once again...i can't even

tumblr_mctxtlgOso1rzq3b5.gif

we are going to give Bynum Dat Philly max and his knees are going to go to space.

Lakers fans don't know pain like me.

Top Bottom