• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
http://nba.si.com/2012/11/12/nba-unveils-new-single-color-christmas-day-jerseys/

nba-christmas-1.jpg

The rest are... eh.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You have neo-dolan running your team. Get used to these kinds of decisions. Ones made based on spite and ego instead of basketball reasons.

I never had to get used to it. Its all I've ever known.

we were born in the darkness, Laker age are about to be adopted by it

Ultratech

lol

Read about D'antoni becoming the new Lakers coach this morning.

I wonder what PJ wanted though for them to pick D'antoni?

Should make for some hilarious watching. (As for Lakers-Age...I'm sorry.)

Man, Nate had some godawful teams for half of those years.

Telfair/Dixon/Blake backcourts. Martell Webster at SF, Zach Randolph at PF. Those don't tell the whole story.

Mike Brown managed to have top defenses with that cavs squad too. Spo had a good defense before the big three came about. Just hard to see where this reputation comes from.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Mike Brown managed to have top defenses with that cavs squad too. Spo had a good defense before the big three came about. Just hard to see where this reputation comes from.

Because they played at a slow pace, so they didn't give up a lot of points. He must be good defensively.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

The players on Brown's Cleveland teams were typically offensively inept. Not defensively.

Their pace was pretty slow too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

You mean the Cavs that went to the Finals and ECF several times during his tenure? Brown never coached a team as bad as what Nate had to work with. Neither did Spo.

When Riley coached the Heat to that 15 win record in '08? 26th defensively. Pat Riley a bad coach, confirmed.

DY_nasty

I think the only good jersey Adidas ever made was the Orlando 2001 with the stars.

Because they played at a slow pace, so they didn't give up a lot of points. He must be good defensively.
DefRtg is more than just PPG allowed. There are pace adjusted stats..
The players on Brown's Cleveland teams were typically offensively inept. Not defensively.

Their pace was pretty slow too.
Mo Williams
Wally
Big Z
Parker
Moon
Jamison
Boobie
Joe Smith
Hickson

These are the players that got the most minutes in CLE. No way in hell is this supposed to be near the top of the league defensively

You mean the Cavs that went to the Finals and ECF several times during his tenure? Brown never coached a team as bad as what Nate had to work with. Neither did Spo.

When Riley coached the Heat to that 15 win record in '08? 26th defensively. Pat Riley a bad coach, confirmed.

Joke doesn't really work to a guy with 5 coaching rings.

I really don't get NBA GAF sometimes. Jackson is almost 70. Jim Buss hates Phil. Phil asked for everything under the sun.

Kobe loves D'Antoni
Nash loves D'Antoni

The last time Nash played for D'Antoni he was in the prime of his career and was able to log heavy minutes for a system that demanded a lot of energy. The only time Kobe played for D'Antoni was on the Olympic team where he only played 15 minutes a game and the team was stacked with young talent that could run up and down all day long. What's going to happen when you demand that much out of 38 year old glass bones Nash or Old Snake?

Branduil

Printing a UCLA stripe that runs (almost the entire) circumference of a sleeve requires space age technology that simply doesn't exist.

College football uniform design seems like a pretty good racket to get into. I could get paid millions of dollars to ruin uniforms too.

I just want them to fix the stripe and go back to Clarendon font. Is that too much to ask?

Esiquio

Just saw this a half-hour ago. My heart sank so bad, as bad as when I heard we hired Mike Brown. Imagine when this coach fails and gets fired before his contract is up, then the Lakers still have to pay him, like they are with Brown for the next two years. Ugh. I had to get up and walk away from my computer when I saw this, so horrible.

I'm extremely interested to see how the crowd reacts. It's really damn obvious they wanted the Zen Master. That said, if D'Antoni can lead us to win games, I'll happily shut my mouth and support him. Right now the coach we have is undefeated at 2-0. Maybe we should keep Bernie until he loses, haha.

The last time Nash played for D'Antoni he was in the prime of his career and was able to log heavy minutes for a system that demanded a lot of energy. The only time Kobe played for D'Antoni was on the Olympic team where he only played 15 minutes a game and the team was stacked with young talent that could run up and down all day long. What's going to happen when you demand that much out of 38 year old glass bones Nash or Old Snake?

Thing with Nash is...he's never really been run into the ground during the regular season in his career. For an MVP player I don't know that I've ever seen another guard with such little minutes averaged. It's something like 32-33 MPG. He'll be fine.

DY_nasty

DefRtg is more than just PPG allowed. There are pace adjusted stats..

Mo Williams
Wally
Big Z
Parker
Moon
Jamison
Boobie
Joe Smith
Hickson

These are the players that got the most minutes in CLE. No way in hell is this supposed to be near the top of the league defensively.
It can be when you play in a pace that's slow as hell. Jamison didn't even play with those runs that much so I'm not sure why you included him. Wally never guarded anyone important. Z was a good defender until he was asked to handle stretch 4s. Mo wasn't "bad" either and neither was Parker. Joe was only good for defense too. Hickson couldn't guard anyone so he was typically nailed to the bench by Brown.

Why'd you just dig up random names? When they went to the Finals vs SA, their roster was made up of guys who couldn't do shit other than play defense and wait for LBJ to pass to them. Newble, Varejao, Snow, Larry Hughes, Gooden... Goons like Marshall and Pav were only good for spot up 3s and hard fouls.
35mpg is not playing heavy minutes.

It is when you're not a born freak athlete. Its the quickest way to ruin a guy too...

LBJ/Mike Brown Cavs remind me of my old 2k strategy--try to never turn the ball over, place good D, crash the boards, take good shots.

Cavs were good as fuck at it because Bron is the definition of efficient, and the other guys never turned the ball over because they literally didn't dribble, and it was impossible for them to take bad shots because they were almost always just hockey passes or assists from LBJ for wide open jumpshots.

It can be when you play in a pace that's slow as hell. Jamison didn't even play with those runs that much so I'm not sure why you included him. Wally never guarded anyone important. Z was a good defender until he was asked to handle stretch 4s. Mo wasn't "bad" either and neither was Parker. Joe was only good for defense too. Hickson couldn't guard anyone so he was typically nailed to the bench by Brown.

Why'd you just dig up random names? When they went to the Finals vs SA, their roster was made up of guys who couldn't do shit other than play defense and wait for LBJ to pass to them. Newble, Varejao, Snow, Larry Hughes, Gooden... Goons like Marshall and Pav were only good for spot up 3s and hard fouls.

These are only the 09 and 10 teams, the years when they were consistently ranked a top-5 defense. Jamison was right behind bron for most minutes on the team. Z was one of the worst defenders at his position those two years. Mo was fucking horrible lol. Parker mediocre. Joe was a corpse then. Hickson started like 70+ games.

These aren't random names at all, they are the top ten spots in MP. Varejo was pretty good, Wallace even though his size hurt him at that age was alright, West was pretty good.

Still, most if not all the Kudos goes to Brown for that team defending like it did.

Top Bottom