• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's been reported since day 1 of the announcement that Jerry was more adamant about the D'antoni hire than both Mitch and Jim. Thinking Jerry would be fine with his son making a move he doesn't like and then taking the fall publically for him is stupid.

What doesn’t make sense is the initial hire of Mike Brown. If they want to bring back “show time” and make the offense more flashy, why in God’s name would you ever hire Mike Fucking Brown in the first place?

They hired Brown in 2011 because the defense looked bad against the Mavs in the sweep.

Thought it was an overreaction to a team that was burned out rather than a problem with defense. Lakers were quite good on defense during the back to back titles.

giri

It's been reported since day 1 of the announcement that Jerry was more adamant about the D'antoni hire than both Mitch and Jim. Thinking Jerry would be fine with his son making a move he doesn't like and then taking the fall publically for him is stupid.

What doesn’t make sense is the initial hire of Mike Brown. If they want to bring back “show time” and make the offense more flashy, why in God’s name would you ever hire Mike Fucking Brown in the first place?

In the words of phil jackson

not really.

but ok.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Call me an optimist but I liked what I heard from Mikey D.

Emphasized defense more than once.
Talked about not over coaching.
Using players actual strengths and not forcing anything (no more Meeks and Metta driving???)

I think the next move the Lakers have to make, and soon, is moving Pau. I love the dude and what he has done for this organization, truly. But it's so ridiculously apparent that his heart just isn't in it anymore. he has games here and there that remind you of who he once was, but it is so seldom that it's pretty much meaningless. he's gotta go. We need to get some pieces. And we need to do it ASAP.

I'd fuck Machelle Bachman raw with my eyes open to get a Pau for Josh Smith trade brewing.

I think the next move the Lakers have to make, and soon, is moving Pau. I love the dude and what he has done for this organization, truly. But it's so ridiculously apparent that his heart just isn't in it anymore. he has games here and there that remind you of who he once was, but it is so seldom that it's pretty much meaningless. he's gotta go. We need to get some pieces. And we need to do it ASAP.

image.php

Makes me sad.

Using players actual strengths and not forcing anything (no more Meeks and Metta driving???)

I'd fuck Machelle Bachman raw with my eyes open to get a Pau for Josh Smith trade brewing.

The problem is that Pau is playing out of position. Remember that run he had with The Lakers? Bynum was pretty much on the sideline for most of that time.

pilonv1

Pau Gasol ‏@paugasol

The practice has gone really well. The first impressions with Mike D'Antoni have been very positive! We are going to enjoy this new system!

This account has to be fake, it's too polite.

And I would do it for free...........I might even pay.

giri

That's basically been his philosophy his whole career.

So basically, nothing different.

They hired Brown in 2011 because the defense looked bad against the Mavs in the sweep.

Thought it was an overreaction to a team that was burned out rather than a problem with defense. Lakers were quite good on defense during the back to back titles.

So they overreact and got Brown and then decide to go the comeplete oppostie way one year later. At the very least I guess that's a sign that management admits Brown was a giant mistake. I guess I get to hope this wasn't a giant overreaction as well.

In the words of phil jackson

not really.

but ok.

I don't think the Lakers handled Jackson well during the hiring process at all. I don't see what that has to with Jim being the sole reason/person to blame for D'antoni being hired though.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
image.php

Makes me sad.
It genuinely does make me sad though. I want to keep him because of what he's done ofr us.. but at the same time I can't just ignore the fact that this dude doesn't have the passion for the NBA game anymore. And there is no reason to keep him around if we can get players that are hungry.

Something inside Pau died the night after that Boston series closed. It's like he literally gave that playoff run in 2010 everything he had....

giri

it's Phil's too.

Yeah, but laker fans haven't been clowning Phil for years then back tracking once he became a laker.

I don't think the Lakers handled Jackson well during the hiring process at all. I don't see what that has to with Jim being the sole reason/person to blame for D'antoni being hired though.

Your statement is wrong, i didn't say anything about the process.

I think that the only reason Mike D could work is because they have Howard patrolling the paint, but that means he has to get back to 100% of being the defensive beast he was 2 years ago.

This could really get knicks bad for the lakers though, if Mike D doesn't work out.

Mike D:Remember zone you played in college let's try that

Amare...

His mistake was expecting Amare to remember anything about defense at all.

It genuinely does me sad though. I want to keep him because of what he's done ofr us.. but at the same time I can't just ignore the fact that this dude doesn't have the passion for the NBA game anymore. And there is no reason to keep him around if we can get players that are hungry.

Something inside Pau died the night after that Boston series closed. It's like he literally gave that playoff run in 2010 everything he had....

Totally agree. Its like he fought so hard that something inside him broke. I remember Mick used to talk about stuff like that.

It genuinely does me sad though. I want to keep him because of what he's done ofr us.. but at the same time I can't just ignore the fact that this dude doesn't have the passion for the NBA game anymore. And there is no reason to keep him around if we can get players that are hungry.

Pau averaged 19 and 10 in 2011 on 53% shooting. He just ran out of gas thanks to Bynum's injuries, Phil playing him a lot, and 3 straight finals.

Pau had just as good 2011 as 2010 until the end of the season.

I don't think Pau's lost anything big mentally. He's past his prime, though. Still want to see him in this system before they move him.

Yeah, but laker fans haven't been clowning Phil for years then back tracking once he became a laker.

True. I personally haven't clowned him. I clowned putting Melo in his system which was more on the Knicks than him. I actually defended him last season.

giri

True. I personally haven't clowned him. I clowned putting Melo in his system which was more on the Knicks than him. I actually defended him last season.

Eh, i think Mike D could have used some time in the league as an assistant before coming back as a head coach.

The fiasco with him and melo isn't the first time he's had players tune him out either.

But the players gave up on mike last year, not the other way around.

Your statement is wrong, i didn't say anything about the process.

I think that the only reason Mike D could work is because they have Howard patrolling the paint, but that means he has to get back to 100% of being the defensive beast he was 2 years ago.

This could really get knicks bad for the lakers though, if Mike D doesn't work out.

Which part of my statement was incorrect? Did reporters wait until day 2 before they started telling people Jerry had a larger say in this than the other two (Mitch & Jim)? All I've been hearing on the radio is that it was handled like shit, but that Jim wasn't the biggest supporter of hiring D'anotoni out of the three.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
And I would do it for free...........I might even pay.
Her eyes would make any mans soul burn slow. And plus, she'd probably open her mouth to say something from time to time. You are a braver man than I am...

That's basically been his philosophy his whole career.

So basically, nothing different.
I was getting tired of MB's micro-managing. So it's a breath of fresh air to hear it. We've also played our best ball this season without someone over coaching us and letting our talents do the talking.

Hell, we almost beat one of the hottest teams in the league with an interim coach, missing our all-star point guard, our back-up, and playing basic on the fly pick-up ball...

Eh, i think Mike D could have used some time in the league as an assistant before coming back as a head coach.

The fiasco with him and melo isn't the first time he's had players tune him out either.

But the players gave up on mike last year, not the other way around.

I don't disagree. But it's also clear Mike D didn't want to trade Gallo and the rest for Melo.

Melo is just a bad fit in his system. My understanding of his system is that you pass or shoot if you're not the PG, but you don't hold the ball.

I don't know how this will play out. I'm hoping it works, obviously. I'll just wait and see.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Not to be an ass, but we're now going to give him even more mental health issues?

Take out the AD, and he sounds like a whiny rookie who doesn't want to earn his spot on the roster.

Bipolar has alot of symptoms AD being 1 of them
Not giving him anything
Just saying

giri

I don't disagree. But it's also clear Mike D didn't want to trade Gallo and the rest for Melo.

Melo is just a bad fit in his system. My understanding of his system is that you pass or shoot if you're not the PG, but you don't hold the ball.

I don't know how this will play out. I'm hoping it works, obviously. I'll just wait and see.

Essentially, yes, that's his system (throw in a lot of back door cuts).

But thats on him, isn't it? to get the best out of his players, adapt the system. I mean the player has to do some also. Mike just wanted to run the system with Melo being the handler. Would be fine if he was LBJ, but he isn't, so it wasn't.

And so now it's going to be his job to get kobe involved... somehow.

And as much as people like to revisit that trade, that incarnation of the knicks roster wasn't going anywhere either, so whilst mike didn't necessarily like the pieces he got, they weren't bad pieces. He just didn't adapt well at all.

It could all work because Nash is there again, and that could be the biggest difference in the situations.

Bipolar has alot of symptoms AD being 1 of them
Not giving him anything
Just saying

Don't disagree with you either, but i just get the other side too. If any other player in the league said/did that stuff, they'd be crucified.

I don't see it ending well for him tbh. Or the Rockets.

Emwitus

On an unrelated note, how many of you have tried the new windows 8? I knw, probably lttp but i'm loving it so far. Refreshing change.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Lolz he use to say that in NY too..... Also his idea of not overcoaching usually means half assed coaching.... But you'll see for yourself soon.

Also Pau or MWP for Gallo before the season is over.

But thats on him, isn't it? to get the best out of his players, adapt the system. I mean the player has to do some also. Mike just wanted to run the system with Melo being the handler. Would be fine if he was LBJ, but he isn't, so it wasn't.

And as much as people like to revisit that trade, that incarnation of the knicks roster wasn't going anywhere either, so whilst mike didn't necessarily like the pieces he got, they weren't bad pieces. He just didn't adapt well at all.

It could all work because Nash is there again, and that could be the biggest difference in the situations.

This along with how he'll use dwight are my biggest concerns.

I would like to see dwight get post ups and not just be utilized in pick and roll. I know D'antoni likes to keep the paint clear though so ...

I'm also curious about how he'll use Kobe. Kobe crates a lot for himself, and now others, with the ball in his hand. If this system didn't work with Melo because he stopped the ball, will the system have the same issues with Kobe? I don't see Kobe becoming a spot up shooter and nothing else. Maybe lots of pick and rolls?

giri

This along with how he'll use dwight are my biggest concerns.

I would like to see dwight get post ups and not just be utilized in pick and roll. I know D'antoni likes to keep the paint clear though so ...

I'm also curious about how he'll use Kobe. Kobe crates a lot for himself, and now others, with the ball in his hand. If this system didn't work with Melo because he stopped the ball, will the system have the same issues with Kobe? I don't see Kobe becoming a spot up shooter and nothing else. Maybe lots of pick and rolls?

Kobe has better Handles than melo, and has been the lakers real PG for years while fisher was there. I assume some of it will be Kobe acting as the PG in the system with Nash spotting up.

Again, I don't disagree. Just will point out Kobe is a much better player off-ball than Melo.

Blackace

Don't disagree with you either, but i just get the other side too. If any other player in the league said/did that stuff, they'd be crucified.

I don't see it ending well for him tbh. Or the Rockets.

Pretty sure the rockets know the man is fairly ill or they would have crucified him

Any other player with a similar condition would be treated the same

Lolz he use to say that in NY too..... Also his idea of not overcoaching usually means half assed coaching.... But you'll see for yourself soon.

Also Pau or MWP for Gallo before the season is over.
As if Den is going to take either one of those scraps

Again, I don't disagree. Just will point out Kobe is a much better player off-ball than Melo.

True, but that doens't mean he's willing to only play off the ball. I think giri is probably correct in that occasionally Nash and Kobe will swap rolls with Nash playhing off the ball as an outside threat. He is our best 3 point shooter. Though Kobe has been lights out this year so far.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm not worried about Kobe at all. The dude is adaptable. He can fill just about any role.

I really don't see him breaking rank and stirring up shit after all the years I've heard him talking about wanting to play for this dude...

Kobe can be a big baby, but in this case he's gotten the bottle he wanted.

Blackace

I'm not worried about Kobe at all. The dude is adaptable. He can fill just about any role.

I really don't see him breaking rank and stirring up shit after all the years I've heard him talking about wanting to play for this dude...

Kobe can be a big baby, but in this case he's gotten the bottle he wanted.

Rick James?

Rondo not even playing? this game is gunna be even more of a snoozefest than I thought.Nets are a total bore to watch when CJ Watson isnt on the floor.

Top Bottom