• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

AirBrian

Okay, maybe you want to answer the actual question this time?

When has MJ ever had to face:

The general consensus best SG in the league

The best center

An arguable best PG

And a Top 5 PF

All on the same team in the finals?

except thats not the question.
If you're talking about this year's Lakers...ok...

MJ did face a shitton of great teams in the Eastern Conference playoffs on the way to the Finals. Let's not forget about that.

And Nash is no where near the best PG, maybe not even a top 5 PG. Maybe 5 years ago.

I still think OKC makes it back to the finals for a rematch.

Westbrook/Maynor
Sefolosha/Kmart/Lamb
Durant/Liggins
Ibaka/Jones
Perkins/Collison/Thabeet

That's still a deep, talented roster. They match up well against the Lakers and the Clippers. I think the Grizzlies could give them trouble though if ZBo can ever get back to form.

They were only able to beat the Clippers last season while the Clippers went into a slump as they struggled to adjust to the Chauncey injury and had that crazy ass March where they played more games in a month than any team has in like 30+ years.

Bron is fighting for second best even if he wins 6 rings...and fuck, he doesn't even have 1 real one yet.

This argument is worthless.

is that a game worth playing? the refs dont make those two shot-clock errors in game 6 of the Finals and Utah could have forced a game 7.

Kobe is not nearly the boss he use to be. Take off the purple colored glasses and you'll see a guy similiar to wizards jordan now.
Just because he isn't popping off 81 points a night doesn't mean that he's washed up. Sure he may shoot too much but Kobe knows how to win. The guy can still get to the rim when he wants and has always been a streaky shooter.

KingGondo

Banned
Harden is just as streaky as Kobe and has poor shot selection at times, look at the finals. Manu isn't explosive anymore and his D is suspect.
Saying Harden sucks because of the Finals is almost as ridiculous as saying LeBron sucks because he played poorly in the Finals 2 years ago.

Harden is definitely the best young 2 in the game. In a year or two he'll be the undisputed best 2-guard at any age.

masud

Banned
Screw yall I still believe in Tony, people just have to stop trying to make him a pg, he's not even a combo he's a short 2. If you try to make Toney score and pass you'll break him, too many variables.

Just because he isn't popping off 81 points a night doesn't mean that he's washed up. Sure he may shoot too much but Kobe knows how to win. The guy can still get to the rim when he wants and has always been a streaky shooter.

Dude I am not hating on Kobe, he just isn't what he used to be.

Thunder should have packaged Ibaka for a 1st round pick and some back PF... while its true that big men are generally harder to come by, a ridiculously efficient SG willing to come of the bench is 100 times harder.

And Ibaka is soo overrated... but GMs would love him due to his athletic ability and "defence" (read: shot blocking ability). He's really not going to be much better than now, I can't see him developing an above average offensive game and he absolutely is not worth that contract. Seeing that the league is heading towards becoming smaller they could have just as easily traded him for a 3/4 tweener.

If what Simmons said is true and Presti told Harden and his agent that Houston was the front runner for his services, that makes him look even dumber. No wonder Harden turned him down when he found that out and realized he would be leaving $25 million on the table rather than $5 million. Should have lied and told him they would trade him to Minny or something. Presti's bad at poker.

Saying Harden sucks because of the Finals is almost as ridiculous as saying LeBron sucks because he played poorly in the Finals 2 years ago.

Harden is definitely the best young 2 in the game. In a year or two he'll be the undisputed best 2-guard at any age.
Please show me exactly where I said that Harden sucks

Edit: And it's funny how quickly people forget about Eric Gordon

Dude I am not hating on Kobe, he just isn't what he used to be.
I never said he is playing at the same level he was back when he was 25. Of course there's a drop off in production but Kobe and Wade are in a class of their own. Harden is closing the gap but proclaiming him the best 2 guard after one game against a bad pistons team is odd to me.

I never said he is playing at the same level he was back when he was 25. Of course there's a drop off in production but Kobe and Wade are in a class of their own. Harden is closing the gap but proclaiming him the best 2 guard after one game against a bad pistons team is odd to me.

Who would command more in a trade right now? Exactly

it's a lockout year ring bruh

deal with that shit

It only matters in the scope of GOAT discussions. Even as a redskins fan I say ehhhh at our lockout earned ring.

Bron is fighting for second best even if he wins 6 rings...and fuck, he doesn't even have 1 real one yet.

This argument is worthless.

Whatever helps you sleep on your salt mine at night.

"B...but it's a lockout...it doesn't count!"

Keep movin' those goalposts, bruh.

Flash

Please show me exactly where I said that Harden sucks

Edit: And it's funny how quickly people forget about Eric Gordon so quickly

You didn't say he sucked but you said he is inconsistent because of the finals... which isn't really true. The guy is pretty consistent because his game mostly consist of pnr and getting to the rim (or getting FTs). Him playing bad in his first finals shouldn't be used to describe him as a player. How many years did it take LeBron to overcome his NBA finals struggle? Nobody is going to say he is an inconsistent player.

And Kobe isn't the best SG in the league... nor should he be. He has played a fulfilling career and he's definitely at the tail end of his productive years. He's good and any team would love to have him but he isn't the best SG in the league... that's a pretty ridiculous claim. As for whether or not Harden is better than him RIGHT NOW it's debatable - he has his first go at being a first option and seeing starting minutes but his production last year indicate that he should be more valuable to a team than Kobe is right now.

charsace

Eric Gordon doesn't want to be in NO. I've been wondering if he's actually hurt. When everyone thought he was going to end up Gordon said, "His heart is in Phoenix." Then the Hornets matched. Since then he's been hurt.

Kobe hasn't been the best SG for years. And through out most of his career he's mostly been second to someone else. Its why Lakers fans usually hate on other SGs.

Whatever helps you sleep on your salt mine at night.

"B...but it's a lockout...it doesn't count!"

Keep movin' those goalposts, bruh.

I won't disagree. Lebron is playing at a higher level than anyone except MJ reached right now. I could argue he's playing at a higher level than MJ but I need to see how this season plays out.....so far so good.

Scary cheat code type shit.

Flash

LeBron is a man playing with a bunch of children... I don't really like the guy and hate that he felt it was necessary to team up with super friends but I can't deny his talents. His physical abilities alone just make it unfair - his size and speed along with his ability to handle to ball is actually frightening and if he is in the right mind set he is as close to as unstoppable as they come.

I know im the first to give the Spurs shit for their lockout ring, but considering how it condensed the schedule and made the season much more of a grind, the fact that Bron was able to play at the level he did in the Finals only makes it more impressive to me, not less. People need to let go of the Bron hate already.

You didn't say he sucked but you said he is inconsistent because of the finals... which isn't really true. The guy is pretty consistent because his game mostly consist of pnr and getting to the rim (or getting FTs). Him playing bad in his first finals shouldn't be used to describe him as a player. How many years did it take LeBron to overcome his NBA finals struggle? Nobody is going to say he is an inconsistent player.

And Kobe isn't the best SG in the league... nor should he be. He has played a fulfilling career and he's definitely at the tail end of his productive years. He's good and any team would love to have him but he isn't the best SG in the league... that's a pretty ridiculous claim. As for whether or not Harden is better than him RIGHT NOW it's debatable - he has his first go at being a first option and seeing starting minutes but his production last year indicate that he should be more valuable to a team than Kobe is right now.
Harden shot around 30% and was a non factor in every game but one. Lebron laid an egg during crunch time against the mavs but still put up good numbers.

And I didn't say Kobe was the best shooting guard in the league, just that Harden isn't. Wade>Bryant>Harden=Gordon>Joe Johnson

LeBron is a man playing with a bunch of children... I don't really like the guy and hate that he felt it was necessary to team up with super friends but I can't deny his talents. His physical abilities alone just make it unfair - his size and speed along with his ability to handle to ball is actually frightening and if he is in the right mind set he is as close to as unstoppable as they come.
how come you hate lebron?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The time for defending BC's moves has long past. He's an atrocious and overrated GM who has hamstrung this franchise with indefensible contracts and unwillingness to admit mistakes and move on when there's still some appreciable value to be had.

Paying what we are to the likes of Kleiza/Fields/Calderon (and now DeMar) could gone towards at least one genuinely capable 3, which has been a gigantic hole on this team since probably Garbo, which was six/seven years ago now. Instead of making a shrewd trade for a Dorrell Wright, or any 3 that can capably stretch the floor/hit a 3, he made a stupid signing in Fields in order to secure Nash away from the Knicks (which backfired) and signed DeMar for pure marketing purposes, to secure a 'face' for this flailing franchise.

He needs to go.

I can fully admit that I was a Colangelo supporter but no longer. Somehow I was able to smile and "accept" those other contracts but this Demar one just set me off.

Who was competing to pay Demar that type of money? He was going to be an RFA!

I mean its not like he ever punched one of his teammates in the face and terrorizes locker rooms. I dont see him as a guy who enjoys humiliating people, he just had moments of incredible immaturity and arrogance
As does everyone, it's human nature. Also, the dude isn't even 30 yet and didn't exactly have a normal life, jumping straight to the league out of high school.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I didn't start disliking Lebron until the Dallas / Miami finals where he had to bring Wade with him to the after game press conference because he couldn't face the music alone. Even Bosh could answer questions by himself.

Smokey

I didn't start disliking Lebron until the Dallas / Miami finals where he had to bring Wade with him to the after game press conference because he couldn't face the music alone. Even Bosh could answer questions by himself.

Not by choice tho. Bron and Wade always left Bosh on stuck.

Flash

cause he likes winning more than staying in a dying city on a team going nowhere

going no where? they went to the NBA finals a few time... 60+ win team. Far from "no where".

Last year he improved a lot in this regard but he always just came across as immature and kind of an ass. I didn't like his entire handling of the decision, how he declared himself a king yet always deferred to his team mates when it counted (as if it was his way to avoid taking any blame). The guy is easily the most talented guy in the NBA (and has been for a few years now) so I don't like how he took the easy way to win a championship by joining those guys in south beach. A lot of my hate is probably irrational, but hey, it's sports, right?

My biggest gripe with him was that he couldn't win when things mattered.. always folded when things got tough in the playoffs/finals while he was with the cavs, same goes versus the Mavs last year... so I just thought he didn't have it in him so I hated how the media always made excuses for him and hyped him up like crazy. But he won and shut me up so while I may not like him (he doesn't play for my team so why should I?) I can't really say anything so long as he keeps winning chips.

And my Raptors sucked quite a bit these past few years so I needed something to keep me interested in the NBA :p it's always easier to root for the underdogs (or likeable guys) which of course will naturally be the team against LeBron/Wade/Bosh

linsivvi

You can't be considered elite when you don't even play.

When Eric Gordon can play 70+ games in a season at a high level, then he can be in the conversation.

Gordon said its very painful. He said he doesnt know "at all" when or if he'll be be back this season.

The doctors can't find something wrong but Gordon's talking about whatever's going on with his knee as a potentially season ending one game into the year, wtf.

Top Bottom