• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flash

The doctors can't find something wrong but Gordon's talking about whatever's going on with his knee as a potentially season ending one game into the year, wtf.

Either he's got some mental issues/depression regarding his so far injury-prone career or he really doesn't want to be in NOLA. Most likely a combination of both.

LeBron is a man playing with a bunch of children... I don't really like the guy and hate that he felt it was necessary to team up with super friends but I can't deny his talents. His physical abilities alone just make it unfair - his size and speed along with his ability to handle to ball is actually frightening and if he is in the right mind set he is as close to as unstoppable as they come.

I don't even think he necessarily thought he had to team up with Wade. They're good friends and had a chance to play together. It honestly wasn't as big as everyone made it in hindsight.

And the fact that he had to end up carrying wade over the finish line can't be ignored.

Flash

I don't even think he necessarily thought he had to team up with Wade. They're good friends and had a chance to play together. It honestly wasn't as big as everyone made it in hindsight.

And the fact that he had to end up carrying wade over the finish line can't be ignored.

yeah, that's not ignored and is why I am giving him credit for finally getting it done. But he clearly joined the heat with the idea that it would be the easiest way to win championships (not 1, not 2, etc...).

Jeff-DSA

Apparently I missed an incredible game cause it was on NBA TV

Fucking League pass is a piece of shit half the games arent even on it

uuughhhh

guuugughgg

Business don't have this all figured out yet. You'd think that they'd learn that by blacking people out that all they're going to do is load up a pirate stream and give someone else ad revenue or they're going to miss it entirely and start to learn that missing games isn't that big of a deal.

If they just made it easy to watch stuff legitimately, more people would be buying the services.

Nash is rocking a PER of 9 right now.

MWP a per of 6 lol.

Man the crazy thing with Brad Beal is that despite his 8 point performance he had a per 16.38...but only got 22 minutes. Fuck Wittman.

Btw, highest PER in the league right now is James Hardens 37 goddam. He won't keep it up but I just thought it was funny.

And I don't know how wade pulls off that PER. It's higher than Brons right now and he didn't look that good to me in game 1.

Flash

Business don't have this all figured out yet. You'd think that they'd learn that by blacking people out that all they're going to do is load up a pirate stream and give someone else ad revenue or they're going to miss it entirely and start to learn that missing games isn't that big of a deal.

If they just made it easy to watch stuff legitimately, more people would be buying the services.

and if your offering free trial service to get people to subscribe for the love of god add some more servers during that period or something.

seems as if their free trial is not intended to attract new customers... but rather get that auto payment from those who (and I'm sure there is a lot of them) forget to cancel.

MWP a per of 6 lol.

Man the crazy thing with Brad Beal is that despite his 8 point performance he had a per 16.38...but only got 22 minutes. Fuck Wittman.

Btw, highest PER in the league right now is James Hardens 37 goddam. He won't keep it up but I just thought it was funny.

And I don't know how wade pulls off that PER. It's higher than Brons right now and he didn't look that good to me in game 1.

lawl @ Nash's statline now

it's like Fisher never left

I live in LA right now so

All games on ESPN
All games on ABC
All games on TNT
All games on NBA TV
All Laker games
All Clipper games

are all blacked out

How dumb is that. Maybe I could live with it if it was just ABC/TNT/ESPN and I'd just remember to record but there are so many games on NBA TV these days that it alone takes up a third of any decent team's schedule. And they announce which games are on NBA TV sometimes only a few nights before so if a game is blacked out it almost always comes as a surprise.

I wish they'd just include NBA TV games on League Pass Broadband. It can't be that hard; they own the fucking channel.

and if your offering free trial service to get people to subscribe for the love of god add some more servers during that period or something.

seems as if their free trial is not intended to attract new customers... but rather get that auto payment from those who (and I'm sure there is a lot of them) forget to cancel.

Their free trials require a card now? They didn't use to...

JoeFu

Banned
Dang, OJ Mayo has been kinda disappointing so far. He plays so out of control sometimes and gets stupid offensive fouls. I hope it looks better when Dirk gets back. He obviously can't be the man.

Its hard to compare Kobe and Wade because Wade gains so much by what's around him. He's become such a cheesing slasher over the last few years...he has virtually no jumpshot anymore. He works out of the post or slashes 90% of the time, which is easier to do when you have LBJ and a top 3 stretch 4.

I'd have to imagine current Wade on a traditional roster outside of the superfriends era would be worse than Kobe, but its hard to say.

Wade at least defends though. Kobes better offensively, but his D is really hard to watch.

The jury is still out on Harden.

shira

The time for defending BC's moves has long past. He's an atrocious and overrated GM who has hamstrung this franchise with indefensible contracts and unwillingness to admit mistakes and move on when there's still some appreciable value to be had.

Paying what we are to the likes of Kleiza/Fields/Calderon (and now DeMar) could gone towards at least one genuinely capable 3, which has been a gigantic hole on this team since probably Garbo, which was six/seven years ago now. Instead of making a shrewd trade for a Dorrell Wright, or any 3 that can capably stretch the floor/hit a 3, he made a stupid signing in Fields in order to secure Nash away from the Knicks (which backfired) and signed DeMar for pure marketing purposes, to secure a 'face' for this flailing franchise.

He needs to go.
I think the problem is that if you can him, who would want to GM this team.
No draft picks and no flexibility/lux tax possibility.
They are going to be faced with the same problems.
At least the current team is some-what satisfied playing in Canada and playing defense.
All the players are pretty much upstanding citizens.

The owners Rogers/Bell are a cable company that will get the same viewership regardless of team performance .300 to .500 winning %.

It doesn't want the team to win, but they don't care if they lose so what are your expectations? Next season is 0-82 tank for Wiggins anyways.

Cloudy

Banned
Why Pau has to go:

He was great when Bynum was hurt but reduced to a jumpshooter otherwise. Same thing is happening with Dwight. Gasol is a center playing at PF and when another big is in the post, he floats on the perimeter for jumpers. Even worse, he's not good at defensive rotations AT ALL and our defense suffers when he's at PF instead of C

Also, we need more depth, footspeed and athleticism on this team. Guys like Trevor Ariza. Problem is you're not getting Ariza for Metta. You could get Ariza and another nice player for Pau though. When you have Dwight, you don't need a PF who is most effective in the paint. You need a stretch 4 or a tweener who hits 3s.

KingJ2002

Its hard to compare Kobe and Wade because Wade gains so much by what's around him. He's become such a cheesing slasher over the last few years...he has virtually no jumpshot anymore. He works out of the post or slashes 90% of the time, which is easier to do when you have LBJ and a top 3 stretch 4.

I'd have to imagine current Wade on a traditional roster outside of the superfriends era would be worse than Kobe, but its hard to say.

Wade at least defends though. Kobes better offensively, but his D is really hard to watch.

The jury is still out on Harden.

Kobe refuses to take charges or flop like Wade... but he'll rebound and hussle for the ball.

Why Pau has to go:

He was great when Bynum was hurt but reduced to a jumpshooter otherwise. Same thing is happening with Dwight. Gasol is a center playing at PF and when another big is in the post, he floats on the perimeter for jumpers. Even worse, he's not good at defensive rotations AT ALL and our defense suffers when he's at PF instead of C

Also, we need more footspeed and athleticism on this team. Guys like Trevor Ariza. Problem is you're not getting Ariza for Metta. You could get Ariza and another nice player for Pau though. When you have Dwight, you don't need a PF who is most effective in the paint. You need a stretch 4 or a tweener who hits 3s.

Pau is good for teams who want to play that small fuck ball... two 7 footers with one that can shoot will give fits to teams like boston or the heat. this half court game that the offense is relying on is killing the lakers IMO... get the lakers running and you'll see how unstoppable they truly are.

besides... We will rock with Pau until we get K. Love in 2015... hahahahaa

charsace

MWP a per of 6 lol.

Bolded is why PER isn't the end all be all of stats.

I don't know why so many are shocked the Lakers are doing badly:
Kobe - 17 years in the league
Pau - 13-14 years in the league
Nash - 17 years in the league
Dwight - coming off of back surgery
Meta - Meta
Bench - sucks
Mike Brown

I am confident the Lakers will end up 3rd in the West but they're not winning anything.
Also, Kobe isn't the best #2 in the league anymore. I am sorry, but he isn't. He can be on any given night but he won't be throughout the entire season.

Cloudy

Banned
Pau is good for teams who want to play that small fuck ball... two 7 footers with one that can shoot will give fits to teams like boston or the heat. this half court game that the offense is relying on is killing the lakers IMO... get the lakers running and you'll see how unstoppable they truly are.

I don't want a 7 footer shooting jumpers while his footspeed gets punished by fastbreak layups on misses.

charsace

Meta - Meta
Bench - sucks
Mike Brown

I am confident the Lakers will end up 3rd in the West but they're not winning anything.
Also, Kobe isn't the best #2 in the league anymore. I am sorry, but he isn't. He can be on any given night but he won't be throughout the entire season.

Kobe let too many secrets slip while abusing Harden in sack during the Olympics. Now the Beard is gonna pay him back for the tough nights he had to endure.

I can't believe some of you are buying this storyline bullshit.

The Lakers are clearly going to win this year. Give it a couple months and they'll be tearing this shit league up.

Bolded is why PER isn't the end all be all of stats.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of PER. I haven't seen too many examples of it overrating or really underrating anyone. You just have to take teammates into account. Wade had the highest PER of all SG's last year, but it's because he WAS more effective than the others. Were the superfriends a good reason why? Sure, but it is what it is.

IWMTB, you're still saying the Clips will be 7th in the West, right?

Yes.

Michael Jordan’s Chicago Bulls won 72 games in the first season of his second three-peat, back in 1995-96.

The previous record was 69 wins.

Granted, the Bulls put up that total against an Eastern Conference that was devoid of many good teams, but 72 wins is 72 wins, right?

Well, now that the Los Angeles Lakers have acquired Dwight Howard in one of the most lopsided trades in NBA history, it’s time for folks to weigh in on just how good this Lakers team will be next season with a starting five of Howard, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash.

Myself, I think the number is 70.

Chris Sheridan quickly becoming the best comedy writer in basketball.

Misterhbk

Meta - Meta
Bench - sucks
Mike Brown

this made me LOL

Dang, OJ Mayo has been kinda disappointing so far. He plays so out of control sometimes and gets stupid offensive fouls. I hope it looks better when Dirk gets back. He obviously can't be the man.

Yeah, hope it's something he can correct. As I look at it, if either him or DC can play to their potential, that's a win for us, especially DC because he has a cheap team option next year.

yeah, that's not ignored and is why I am giving him credit for finally getting it done. But he clearly joined the heat with the idea that it would be the easiest way to win championships (not 1, not 2, etc...).
yeah, HOF teammates make winning easier, thats why the big three did their thing Boston.
in the last what, 30 years, who all has chipped with just one HOFer, three teams?

Jeff-DSA

I'm getting pretty excited about the Jazz this year. They're long, but the way they get up and down the court is impressive. They're going to run teams ragged, and the bigs coming off the bench (Favors, Kanter) can really keep the pace up.

If we can figure out how to stop giving up so many threes, teams are going to find lots of matchup problems against us. I think this team might be better than I was expecting.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bet is off if he doesn't play, DY.

XmdGN.jpg

besides... We will rock with Pau until we get K. Love in 2015... hahahahaa

The last thing Pau wants to do is try to play the perimeter game with someone like bosh. He would be eaten alive.

And for the love of god, I hope Mike Brown smokes enough of that Cali bud to convince himself that they need to run.

Why Pau has to go:

Also, we need more depth, footspeed and athleticism on this team. Guys like Trevor Ariza. Problem is you're not getting Ariza for Metta. You could get Ariza and another nice player for Pau though. When you have Dwight, you don't need a PF who is most effective in the paint. You need a stretch 4 or a tweener who hits 3s.

That still doesn't make up for the huge deficiency they have at PG though. At this point Nash is looking like white Fisher and his primary backup is Steve Blake. They need to dangle Pau for a young and quick PG but I'm not sure who they could even get anymore. Its a shame they couldn't get Sessions to stay.

That still doesn't make up for the huge deficiency they have at PG though. At this point Nash is looking like white Fisher and his primary backup is Steve Blake. They need to dangle Pau for a young and quick PG but I'm not sure who they could even get anymore. Its a shame they couldn't get Sessions to stay.

Nash looks hesitant more than he looks unable.

Hopefully he learns not to give a fuck and start running the show. Looks like everyones worried about making Dwight comfortable, but he's good to go, everyone should cater to making sure Nash is happy now. Once that happens they can roll.

Top Bottom