• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
fuck that

I'm rooting against the Heat and finding reasons for them to lose until the clock reads zero and the confetti falls in the finals.

I feel like BestGafs resolve is just terrible. I'd hate to fight with you guys. Fuck the Heat.

Oh, your hopium is just so innocent. Sorry pal, Heat putting up that 2013 banner in the rafters next year. They'll finally have a legit chip.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
fuck that

I'm rooting against the Heat and finding reasons for them to lose until the clock reads zero and the confetti falls in the finals.

I feel like BestGafs resolve is just terrible. I'd hate to fight with you guys. Fuck the Heat.

Still a long time from now until the finals but I honestly don't see anybody beating the Heat barring injuries. Celtics fucking blew it by wasting all that money on Jeff Green. Theres like nobody else in the east who had a chance anyway. Maybe the Nets and Knicks are better than I expect but yeah probably not.

Since Bryan Colangelo took over during the 2005-06 NBA season, the team has invested more than $240 million in the following players:

Andrea Bargnani
Jose Calderon
Linas Kleiza
Amir Johnson
Landry Fields
Jason Kapono
Hedo Turkoglu

what an asshole.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Whoever crowned their ass is dumb. I have said even when we got both Nash and Dwight that barring injury Miami is a lock to repeat.
If the Lakers can't get it together, then this might be the easiest road to a repeat ever. How someone can compare LeBron to MJ after this, I don't know.

#HEATNATION

Sometimes a man must pick a side. I have chosen

They will never take our freedom Bestgaf

braveheart14.jpg

I was excited we got him yes but i wasnt saying we will win the chip. I was also banned when we got him or soon after, so yea. On IRC I consistently said Lakers arent winning it this year. But nice try.

Edit: Char, you should know better than to trust Syphon. Well, you probably also believed Carmello would make a difference for your team, so nevermind.
he did make a difference.winning record since he got here even if it isnt anything special.meanwhile Amare Howard and Nash arent making a difference in LA.

he did make a difference.winning record since he got here even if it isnt anything special.meanwhile Amare Howard and Nash arent making a difference in LA.

It's been two regular season games... you have had a year and half to see Melo not benefiting your team in the least. I mean you guys did get to the second roun... oh, wait, you didn't... lol...

When has MJ faced as much star power as this in the finals? Excluding LA of course.

Star power? lol...
MJ faced Magic
MJ faced Clyde
MJ faced a prime Barkley
MJ faced a crazy Kemp/Payton
MJ faced Karl/Stock two times

LeBron faced Okc lol

Flash

Thunder should have packaged Ibaka for a 1st round pick and some back PF... while its true that big men are generally harder to come by, a ridiculously efficient SG willing to come of the bench is 100 times harder.

And Ibaka is soo overrated... but GMs would love him due to his athletic ability and "defence" (read: shot blocking ability). He's really not going to be much better than now, I can't see him developing an above average offensive game and he absolutely is not worth that contract. Seeing that the league is heading towards becoming smaller they could have just as easily traded him for a 3/4 tweener.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
When has MJ faced as much star power as this in the finals? Excluding LA of course.
What teams, if LA can't get it together, could even begin to challenge a Heat path to the finals? Who? A Celtics team that was too old two years ago? A Bulls team without Rose? A far too young Sixers team? An overrated Pacers team?

In the west? The Spurs were finished a while ago. The Thunder have terrible coaching. Besides the Lakers, no other team.

Never did the Bulls have such an easy road. Never.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
what an asshole.

Traded for T.J. Ford.
Traded a first round pick for James Johnson.
Traded Roy Hibbert (and garbage) for Jermaine O'Neal and Nathan Jawai.
Drafts include Bargs, DeRozan, Ed Davis and a bad habit of trading himself out of draft picks.
Has 0 success with any second round pick selections.

His one defensible move to this point has been picking up Lowry. And it's a bit early to call that one a success.

It's been two regular season games... you have had a year and half to see Melo not benefiting your team in the least. I mean you guys did get to the second roun... oh, wait, you didn't... lol...

Star power? lol...
MJ faced Magic
MJ faced Clyde
MJ faced a prime Barkley

LeBron faced Okc lol
Not to mention who MJ faced in the EC playoffs to get there...

diehard

Fleer

the Knicks were 28-26 before they traded for Melo, a higher winning percentage than they finished that season with.

Exactly. Bad Boys, Celtics. LeBron hasn't faced SHIT compared to what MJ faced his entire career. LeBron faced a Mavericks team (no offense Bran) that wouldn't have made it INTO the finals in the 80s/90s. LeBron has never nor will he ever face teams like MJ did.

So who looks good in the draft this year? Will the Lakers be able to get a Kobe replacement if they pick in the top 3?

We getting Shabaz. Shabaz, D12, Little Kyrie, LeBron, and Eddie Curry.

Star power? lol...
MJ faced Magic
MJ faced Clyde
MJ faced a prime Barkley

LeBron faced Okc lol

Okay, maybe you want to answer the actual question this time?

When has MJ ever had to face:

The general consensus best SG in the league

The best center

An arguable best PG

And a Top 5 PF

All on the same team in the finals?

except thats not the question.

Okay, maybe you want to answer the actual question this time?

When has MJ ever had to face:

The general consensus best SG in the league

The best center

An arguable best PG

And a Top 5 PF

All on the same team?

... wait, are we talking about the Lakers? The Thunder? Who?
Because neither of those teams fit that description...
Edit: If you're talking about the Lakers then LOL! This Lakers squad wouldn't have won a chip in the 80s, 90s, nor would they have won against the Shaq Lakers NOR against the 2009-2010 Lakers. You cray

... wait, are we talking about the Lakers? The Thunder? Who?
Because neither of those teams fit that description...

Oh ok now they don't, Im pretty fucking sure this was so this summer lol. I see ya Cloving Romney...

Edit: If you're talking about the Lakers then LOL! This Lakers squad wouldn't have won a chip in the 80s, 90s, nor would they have won against the Shaq Lakers NOR against the 2009-2010 Lakers. You cray

Why are you bringing the past into this? We are talking right now?

Flash

Traded for T.J. Ford.
Traded a first round pick for James Johnson.
Traded Roy Hibbert (and garbage) for Jermaine O'Neal and Nathan Jawai.
Drafts include Bargs, DeRozan, Ed Davis and a bad habit of trading himself out of draft picks.
Has 0 success with any second round pick selections.

His one defensible move to this point has been picking up Lowry. And it's a bit early to call that one a success.

Drafting Val looks like a good move too... high risk high reward type of pick IMO.

The biggest problem I have with him is he can't just accept that some of his moves flat out sucks. Its weird because clearly he is a capable GM who was able to get rid of Turkoglu very quickly without giving up too much but the problem is the fact that he signed him in the first place. But his main issue boils down to Bargnani...who isn't a terrible player but he is always marketed as the center piece of the franchisee when he clearly isn't. I feel like he makes a lot of his moves for the sake of Bargnani - firing coaches who are tough on him, passing up on bigs with potential who could replace him, looking for SF who can make up for his rebounding deficiencies. This just creates a bad culture where you keep trying to make life easier for a player who clearly doesn't deserve it.

He also outbids himself when signing FAs... nobody would have offered those contracts to Derozan, Calderon, Bargnani and Amir. So what happens when its time to extend a player who is actually above average to good like Lowry? Are you going to give him max?

Oh ok now they don't, Im pretty fucking sure this was so this summer lol. I see ya Cloving Romney...

Why are you bringing the past into this? We are talking right now?

Lark, show me where I said that this Lakers squad would win a chip this year or that they were as good/better than previous Lakers championship teams. Do it. I'll be waiting.

Yes, it is.

I said "road to a repeat", which mainly means having to go through the East to a Finals appearance. If the Lakers can't get it together for a Finals appearance, this is an absurdly easy repeat for the Heat.

What do you mean it is? LMAO

This is the question

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was actually shocked last night at the amount of passion there was at the Raptors game.

When that ball went out of bounds and they reviewed it a big section of the crowd was chanting "Raptor's ball"

I'm sure that'll all be gone by game 2 or 3.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Drafting Val looks like a good move too... high risk high reward type of pick IMO.

The biggest problem I have with him is he can't just accept that some of his moves flat out sucks. Its weird because clearly he is a capable GM who was able to get rid of Turkoglu very quickly without giving up too much but the problem is the fact that he signed him in the first place. But his main issue boils down to Bargnani...who isn't a terrible player but he is always marketed as the center piece of the franchisee when he clearly isn't. I feel like he makes a lot of his moves for the sake of Bargnani - firing coaches who are tough on him, passing up on bigs with potential who could replace him, looking for SF who can make up for his rebounding deficiencies. This just creates a bad culture where you keep trying to make life easier for a player who clearly doesn't deserve it.

He also outbids himself when signing FAs... nobody would have offered those contracts to Derozan, Calderon, Bargnani and Amir. So what happens when its time to extend a player who is actually above average to good like Lowry? Are you going to give him max?

Bargnani draft year was a shit year to have the number one overall pick anyway, but it doesn't excuse all this drafts and signings after.

Too early to know if V will be worth that pick and how the picks after him will pan out of course. I like the idea of having a defensive minded 7 footer in the middle, but there are plenty of tall guys that never pan out. At least it seems like he enjoys basketball.

His signings are hilariously bad and he has a smug attitude whenever I hear him speak. He really does believe he's the best GM out there and is infallible. Franchise will keep him though because he always seems to talk his way out of his own mess whenever he's on the hot seat. Third rebuilding phase in 6 years. Awwyeah.

I was actually shocked last night at the amount of passion there was at the Raptors game.

When that ball went out of bounds and they reviewed it a big section of the crowd was chanting "Raptor's ball"

Raptors and Warriors fans always seem be into it, even with their miserable franchises. Probably going to be the 'most passionate' opening night though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fucking YNB is nowhere near close to the "the best PG" -- there's no fucking argument to be made. And Ibaka isn't anywhere near a Top 5 PF. Put the hyperbole pipe away and sit your clown ass down.

Nori Chan

back to the nfl thread with you im still saltyabout sunday

I still think OKC makes it back to the finals for a rematch.

Westbrook/Maynor
Sefolosha/Kmart/Lamb
Durant/Liggins
Ibaka/Jones
Perkins/Collison/Thabeet

That's still a deep, talented roster. They match up well against the Lakers and the Clippers. I think the Grizzlies could give them trouble though if ZBo can ever get back to form.

Westbrook/Maynor
Sefolosha/Kmart/Lamb
Durant/Liggins
Ibaka/Jones
Perkins/Collison/Thabeet

That's still a deep, talented roster. They match up well against the Lakers and the Clippers. I think the Grizzlies could give them trouble though if ZBo can ever get back to form.

grizzles got exposed by the clips.

Lmao. No "real one"? I don't even think skip Bayless holds the lockout against bron. The notion if a fake ring in this case is hilarious

it's a lockout year ring bruh

deal with that shit

It only matters in the scope of GOAT discussions. Even as a redskins fan I say ehhhh at our lockout earned ring.

Flash

Bargnani draft year was a shit year to have the number one overall pick anyway, but it doesn't excuse all this drafts and signings after.

Too early to know if V will be worth that pick and how the picks after him will pan out of course. I like the idea of having a defensive minded 7 footer in the middle, but there are plenty of tall guys that never pan out. At least it seems like he enjoys basketball.

His signings are hilariously bad and he has a smug attitude whenever I hear him speak. He really does believe he's the best GM out there and is infallible. Franchise will keep him though because he always seems to talk his way out of his own mess whenever he's on the hot seat. Third rebuilding phase in 6 years. Awwyeah.

Yup he brings in fresh faces every single year in order to make it appear as if the franchice has some sort of hope... he really is in the business of making an extremely average team - absolutely no aspiration for a deep play off run or a championship contending team. MLSE only worries about the bottom line and Colangelo is just the man for the job.

And I didn't really like the Bargnani pick from the get go... you are talking about a guy who is 7' and that you are projecting to play center (remember we had Chris Bosh at the time...) but in actuality plays more like a SG. You feed us this garbage about Caliper tests and maximum potential when in reality the guy has a shit work ethic and undesirable skills for a center.

That off season was a major turning point for the franchise... we had an all-star PF in Chris Bosh who is actually pretty great despite all the criticism and his strange behaviour... a number 1 pick and a ton of salary space. We should have taken a guy who might actually be capable of playing C...like maybe Aldridge? Or how about guys like Roy or Gay who could have filled a major hole in our roster? I know...hindsight blah blah blah but these issues were clear even at the time. Picking Bargnani was a huge mistake as it indicated that we are not serious about winning now but rather the future and I think that kind of set the motion for Bosh's departure.

And how he used the cap space was very mediocre as well... Anthony Parker was a decent pick up but definitely not a game changer. Same goes for the other guy from Spain we got. And signing Kapono to an outrageous contract was stupid... I still remember he got that deal done the minute free agency started so clearly in his mind he had to think that it was a great move... lol.

Bread

Banned
Celtics fucking blew it by wasting all that money on Jeff Green.
LMAO give me a fucking break

they had no money to spend regardless of jeff green's contract, they HAD to sign him. it was obviously an overpay, but what is the other option? they were over the cap with the bird rights of a young athletic wing who can still live up to his potential. you think they shouldn't have resigned him?

also, the fact that they went out and picked up courtney lee while having no money was masterful by ainge.

it's a lockout year ring bruh

deal with that shit

It only matters in the scope of GOAT discussions. Even as a redskins fan I say ehhhh at our lockout earned ring.
Well yeah, you obviously believe in that non-sense so its not surprising. Still don't see your point.

When one of Lebrons most vocal public critics don't seem to hang their head on "fake rings" vs "real rings" or something, I find it puzzling that Im supposed to "just deal with " the words of someone who can be seen saying "fuck the heat" not a page away. Sorry.

KingGondo

Banned

Westbrook/Maynor
Sefolosha/Kmart/Lamb
Durant/Liggins
Ibaka/Jones
Perkins/Collison/Thabeet

I like when people post correct opinions.

Wish our coaching was better though. And don't forget about the Spurs. That's still the main team I'm worried about.

Does anyone else think that even after the Lakers "figure it out" that the Spurs would be favored in an LA-SA series?

Brinbe

The time for defending BC's moves has long past. He's an atrocious and overrated GM who has hamstrung this franchise with indefensible contracts and unwillingness to admit mistakes and move on when there's still some appreciable value to be had.

Paying what we are to the likes of Kleiza/Fields/Calderon (and now DeMar) could gone towards at least one genuinely capable 3, which has been a gigantic hole on this team since probably Garbo, which was six/seven years ago now. Instead of making a shrewd trade for a Dorrell Wright, or any 3 that can capably stretch the floor/hit a 3, he made a stupid signing in Fields in order to secure Nash away from the Knicks (which backfired) and signed DeMar for pure marketing purposes, to secure a 'face' for this flailing franchise.

He needs to go.

Top Bottom