• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
That still doesn't make up for the huge deficiency they have at PG though. At this point Nash is looking like white Fisher and his primary backup is Steve Blake. They need to dangle Pau for a young and quick PG but I'm not sure who they could even get anymore. Its a shame they couldn't get Sessions to stay.

You know he was doing 13/11/3 on 53/39/89 shooting last year right? And his oh so fragile body still managed 32 mpg

Players don't drop off that quick, especially without a major injury. He's had a few bad games adjusting to a new team. Its typical.

Hes still Steve Nash.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hey Raging Spaniard, can you make a My Little Kobry (Kobe Brony) avatar for adam? He's about to lose a bit 6 months ahead of schedule.

shira

You know he was doing 13/11/3 on 53/39/89 shooting last year right? And his oh so fragile body still managed 32 mpg

Players don't drop off that quick, especially without a major injury. He's had a few bad games adjusting to a new team. Its typical.

Hes still Steve Nash.
Ditch that offence where he does nothing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
76ers coach Doug Collins was asked the other day if he was an analytics guy.

"No. If I did that, I'd blow my brains out," Collins said after a practice last week. "There's 20-page printouts after every game - I would kill myself."

"My analytics are here . . ." Collins quickly pointed to his head. ". . . and here." He pointed just above the white waistband of his Sixers sweat suit - to his gut.

smh old man. just retire and go back to announcing already.

"No. If I did that, I'd blow my brains out," Collins said after a practice last week. "There's 20-page printouts after every game - I would kill myself."

"My analytics are here . . ." Collins quickly pointed to his head. ". . . and here." He pointed just above the white waistband of his Sixers sweat suit - to his gut.

Phil Jackson wasn't an analytic guy either.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

I doubt few guys actually follow analytics, outside of maybe Thibs, lol.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What is the bet Dy and Adam have going?

Two bets in one sorta

Monthly - points total; eric gordon vs mayo (loser takes an avatar for the next month)

Season - points total; eric gordon vs mayo (loser takes an avatar for the offseason)

HE GON GET THIS WORK

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Phil Jackson wasn't an analytic guy either.

Doug Collins doesn't have the talent level that Phil Jackson had. I don't want a coach who refuses to even consider looking at data that can help him better evaluate his team, evaluate what his guys can and cannot do and how he can help the players he has and put them in a better position to win. The way hes so utterly dismissive of them comes across as a guy who think hes knows everything is to know about the game and doesn't have to bother trying to learn more.

Compare that to a guy like Mike Dunlap. I'm not saying a coach should be using the data heavily but it wouldn't kill Collins to look at it and see what his players are good at and what they suck at and how to improve the team in general.

exarkun

Lebron won't be taken down until the league decides to get serious about it's HGH testing and steroid policy.

Damn bro, you been on one lately. All this success from the Texans and Rockets be making you have balls again. Nice to have you back.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Larry Brown took those 20 pages of stats, rolled them up, and shoved them right up DJ's ass.

Doug Collins doesn't have the talent level that Phil Jackson had. I don't want a coach who refuses to even consider looking at data that can help him better evaluate his team, evaluate what his guys can and cannot do and how he can help the players he has and put them in a better position to win. The way hes so utterly dismissive of them comes across as a guy who think hes knows everything is to know about the game and doesn't have to bother trying to learn more.

Compare that to a guy like Mike Dunlap. I'm not saying a coach should be using the data heavily but it wouldn't kill Collins to look at it and see what his players are good at and what they suck at and how to improve the team in general.

its not like assistant coaches arent pouring over that stuff and telling him what's what.

Motivating Shaq for a year and getting Kobe to buy into winning basketball for a year was a pretty great job.

Most coaches could have won most of those rings though. Collins would have won a ton of rings if the Bulls just rode out with him because Pippen was developing regardless of who the coach was and just came into the league super raw.

His inability to contain locker room breakdowns at the end of both Laker eras was a pretty bad job though and should probably be held against him but coaches that have top 10 of all time players get all the praise and none of the blame.

Soo....best gaf.

I hate to say it.

BUT ITS TIME TO REVISIT BASKETBALL REASONS.

Everyone KILLED Lakers fans for thinking that the original trade was great for the Hornets, and gaf thought that that the Clippers offer was much better in the long run.

A couple of years later, is it even close?

Acquisitons from Lakers deal: Dragic, Lamar, Kevin Martin, Scola Houstons 2012 1st rounder (Jeremy Lamb) probably.

Acquisitons from Clippers: Eric Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, Sotas 2012 1st (Austin Rivers, or any other selection that went after him...all of which kind of suck).

It doesn't even really look close now. Martin and Lamars contracts would be expiring after this season, and Scola has a great contract. Dragic is a great prospect, and they would have gotten Lamb. They wouldn't have tanked quite as hard this season with those pieces...but the 2013 class is terrible. Once they dropped Odom and K-Mart, they'd have a clear opportunity to tank in a great 2014 class.

Instead they have an Eric Gordon that is just broken--and even if he wasn't, he clearly hates playing in NO. Oh...btw, his contract is TERRIBLE.

The draft pick was also awful--Austin Rivers is terrible. Clearly.

Basketball Reasons.

Soo....best gaf.

I hate to say it.

Everyone KILLED Lakers fans for thinking that the original trade was great for the Hornets, and gaf thought that that the Clippers offer was much better in the long run.

Acquisitons from Lakers deal: Dragic, Lamar, Kevin Martin, Scola Houstons 2012 1st rounder (Jeremy Lamb) probably.

Acquisitons from Clippers: Eric Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, Sotas 2012 1st (Austin Rivers, or any other selection that went after him...all of which kind of suck).

It doesn't even really look close now. Martin and Lamars contracts would be expiring after this season, and Scola has a great contract. Dragic is a great prospect, and they would have gotten Lamb. They wouldn't have tanked quite as hard this season with those pieces...but the 2013 class is terrible. Once they dropped Odom and K-Mart, they'd have a clear opportunity to tank in a great 2014 class.

Instead they have an Eric Gordon that is just broken--and even if he wasn't, he clearly hates playing in NO. Oh...btw, his contract is TERRIBLE.

Basketball Reasons.

david_stern.jpg

Nola alone is responsible for their fuckups in the offseason. They should have (and definitely could have) shipped Gordon and some filler out to Phoenix for Marshall and Lopez and drafted Lamb over Rivers. Instead they have ynot 2.0 with an entitlement complex masquering as a PG and the highest paid player on their roster doesn't want to be there.

giri

Soo....best gaf.

I hate to say it.

Basketball Reasons.
headshke.gif

Nola alone is responsible for their fuckups in the offseason. They should have (and definitely could have) shipped Gordon and some filler out to Phoenix for Marshall and Lopez and drafted Lamb over Rivers.

yea and I just realized that Lamb actually went after Rivers...that's kind of crazy.

exarkun

Larry Brown took those 20 pages of stats, rolled them up, and shoved them right up DJ's ass.

Damn, you still salty like them crackers they feeding you at the army.

I got to be a table over from Larry two weekends ago at a dinner in dallas. Great guy. Gonna do great things for their team.

Pimpwerx

I doubt few guys actually follow analytics, outside of maybe Thibs, lol.

I'm pretty sure all the young coaches do. Spo, Brooks, Thibs, etc.... I think SVG was one too, as he alluded on the LeBatard show yesterday. Kinda like old and young fans with classic and advanced stats. I kinda frown on advanced stats, but only because they came long after I started watching. PEACE.

Top Bottom