• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not really comparable...

you want to take the ball handling away from Westbrook.. ok..

but put a shooter at PG like the Heat... check

why that works is because LBJ is really the PG KD can't do that
I think Westbrook would be better served at SG because he could kill a lot of guards with off the ball movement. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Durant in that role, but his passing game is just so bad.

he listed between 6'7 to 6'9

you going to quibble with me about 3 inches?

KD is maybe 6'10"

I saw Magic in person once and he seemed more like 6'4 (i'm 6'2 and he was barely taller than me). But then again he's old and fat now so maybe that shrunk him somehow, and most NBA player heights are inflated (aside from KG because he hates being 7 feet). Kobe and Jeffrey aren't 6'6 either.

Emwitus

I saw Magic in person once and he seemed more like 6'4 (i'm 6'2 and he was barely taller than me). But then again he's old and fat now so maybe that shrunk him somehow, and most NBA player heights are inflated (aside from KG because he hates being 7 feet). Kobe and Jeffrey aren't 6'6 either.

Isn't magic something like 6'9? Standing someone at that height, me being 6'1, that's pretty tall. The guy played center one time...In the finals. I've never seen a guy in the nba as short as 6'4 play center.

My friend met him and said he's definitely like 6'9 or so.

I don't know about Jeffrey, but Kobe is more like 6'4-5.

Allen Iverson is definitely not 6 feet. I've stood next to him and I'm 5'11 and I was taller.

Isn't magic something like 6'9? Standing someone at that height, me being 6'1, that's pretty tall. The guy played center one time...In the finals. I've never seen a guy in the nba as short as 6'4 play center.

Barkley is like 6'5. Kareem, on the other scale, is like 7'4 or 7'5 from what I've heard, but listed shorter.

giri

Not really comparable...

you want to take the ball handling away from Westbrook.. ok..

but put a shooter at PG like the Heat... check

why that works is because LBJ is really the PG KD can't do that

You can easily move YNB to SG though. Start maynor.

My friend met him and said he's definitely like 6'9 or so.

I don't know about Jeffrey, but Kobe is more like 6'4-5.

Allen Iverson is definitely not 6 feet. I've stood next to him and I'm 5'11 and I was taller.

Barkley is like 6'5. Kareem, on the other scale, is like 7'4 or 7'5 from what I've heard, but listed shorter.

I attended Magics camp at 17 and met him a few times. Definitely closer to 6'9.

giri

Thabo can defend larger sgs though. Maynor/Russell would be pretty undersized. Anyway there's no way Brooks would take Thabo out of the starting lineup now when he wouldn't do it when they had Harden.

I think thabo is a top 5 wing defender.

but lose enough games because your offensive *system* fails to fire constantly and.......

pilonv1

I think Westbrook would be better served at SG because he could kill a lot of guards with off the ball movement. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Durant in that role, but his passing game is just so bad.

I still think that if the Thunder had traded Westbrook to New Orleans last year, he could have easily averaged 35ppg. Once you free him of the responsibility of having to pretend to distribute the ball and initiate the offense and just let him go, he'd be pretty damned good.

Pkaz01

I still think that if the Thunder had traded Westbrook to New Orleans last year, he could have easily averaged 35ppg. Once you free him of the responsibility of having to pretend to distribute the ball and initiate the offense and just let him go, he'd be pretty damned good.

Sure he'd be good but his teammates and the team wouldnt be

giri

It would be a less talented allen iverson.

It would be a less talented allen iverson.

That isn't saying a very bad thing. I still say pound for pound, Allen Iverson was the most talented player to ever play the game. Put his skill set with Jordan's or Lebron's body, and he'd beat them both. It's a shame he wasn't a little bit smarter with his career. He'd be a rich man's Steve Francis or Stephen Marbury with him as the solo star.

No, leading the league in scoring and carrying a team to the Finals as the only competent offensive player does. Those early 00's 76ers were atrociously bad on offense outside of Iverson. He was their entire offense. Their whole game plan was to play great defense and let Iverson handle the scoring. And I am talking about pound-for-pound talent. Players like Kobe, Lebron, and Jordan all had physical gifts that Iverson never had. You know what Jordan has always had over Kobe that Kobe can never get no matter how much he works and practices? Giant hands. Jordan had the best hands. He controlled his defender's spacing so well with it. Being able to palm a ball and maintain control allows you to situate yourself and bait the defender in a lot of ways you cannot do without large hands, for example.

Iverson's skills were not just his ballhandling or impressive shooting, which were both elite. He was an amazing off-the-ball player and somebody that played in a way you would think his size would not allow. Was he statistically inefficient? Yeah, definitely more inefficient than Jordan or Lebron or most other HOF guards, but that's what happens when you expect him to be the offense with no offensively-talented frontcourt.

shira

No, leading the league in scoring and carrying a team to the Finals as the only competent offensive player does. Those early 00's 76ers were atrociously bad on offense outside of Iverson. He was their entire offense. Their whole game plan was to play great defense and let Iverson handle the scoring. And I am talking about pound-for-pound talent. Players like Kobe, Lebron, and Jordan all had physical gifts that Iverson never had. You know what Jordan has always had over Kobe that Kobe can never get no matter how much he works and practices? Giant hands. Jordan had the best hands. He controlled his defender's spacing so well with it. Being able to palm a ball and maintain control allows you to situate yourself and bait the defender in a lot of ways you cannot do without large hands, for example.

Iverson's skills were not just his ballhandling or impressive shooting, which were both elite. He was an amazing off-the-ball player and somebody that played in a way you would think his size would not allow. Was he statistically inefficient? Yeah, definitely more inefficient than Jordan or Lebron or most other HOF guards, but that's what happens when you expect him to be the offense with no offensively-talented frontcourt.
zeke won infinitely more titles

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That isn't saying a very bad thing. I still say pound for pound, Allen Iverson was the most talented player to ever play the game. Put his skill set with Jordan's or Lebron's body, and he'd beat them both. It's a shame he wasn't a little bit smarter with his career. He'd be a rich man's Steve Francis or Stephen Marbury with him as the solo star.

Horrible

Blackace

talent/weight

I would say that putting Lebron, Kobe or Jordan in AI's body would make them far less successful than AI was.

And we know this how?

Put Shaq in AI's body and he isn't nearly as effective!

And we know this how?

Put Shaq in AI's body and he isn't nearly as effective!
Well, this is ofcourse just barber shop talk. I'm not saying I know this for a fact or that I have empirical evidence to prove it. I do think most people could understand my point and see where I am coming from and should more or less agree with my sentiments.

Thats really not how it works my dude, you can't really quantify that any kind of way.
Well yes, I know it isn't a true measurable. I know there are other factors and that you can't measure talent like you can weight or height. I'm not making this argument as if it is an uncontestable fact. I think Allen Iverson is, pound for pound, the most talented basketball player ever. I think a lot of people under appreciate what he did for his size and view him as just another ball-chucking guard with no team fundamentals.

shira

Isaiah had a more talented front court and a far better defensive team. They were basically knocking people down and getting away with it.
You basically knew if you came in the lane you were getting knocked down. Is that good defense?

Talent/height/weight is all baloney. You can't make Iverson 6'9" and say he would be the best player ever. It is a package deal.

A lot of how an NBA athlete plays related to how they developed and played as a kid. The reason a lot of PFs and Cs have bad handles and passing ability is because they sprouted early and always played in the paint. So if Iverson physically grew earlier in his life into a 6'6" person, he likely would not have developed some of the skills he had. That doesn't mean those same skills wouldn't work at 6'6". So if Iverson had an overnight growth spurt as he entered the NBA into a 6'6" 220 lbs guard, it would only greatly benefit his game. Adding a few inches and muscle isn't going to deteriorate his quickness. He would definitely lose some of his playmaking from dribbling just because his center of gravity would not be as low and wouldn't be able to make quite as sharp cuts and turns.

OKC need to dump Ibaka while GMs still overvalue him. there was that GM poll that just came out with Ibaka getting second or third place votes as the best post defender, so yeah his value around the league is pretty high.

giri

A lot of how an NBA athlete plays related to how they developed and played as a kid. The reason a lot of PFs and Cs have bad handles and passing ability is because they sprouted early and always played in the paint. So if Iverson physically grew earlier in his life into a 6'6" person, he likely would not have developed some of the skills he had. That doesn't mean those same skills wouldn't work at 6'6". So if Iverson had an overnight growth spurt as he entered the NBA into a 6'6" 220 lbs guard, it would only greatly benefit his game. Adding a few inches and muscle isn't going to deteriorate his quickness. He would definitely lose some of his playmaking from dribbling just because his center of gravity would not be as low and wouldn't be able to make quite as sharp cuts and turns.

So basically, what you're saying is, you're just making up fantasy scenarios.

Want to know the closest you'll get to AI in a big NBA body? Hakeem. And thats truth.

So it's a totally inane and futile discussion. Put Barkleys brain with Amare's physical talents. He'd be average 30 & 20. And no one on that team would be allowed to slack off in any way.

shira

No, I would disagree.

Ofcourse it's a fantasy scenario. I'm not saying anything that should be taken very seriously here. Like I said, it's just barber shop talk here.

I think DWade probably surpasses AI for that third best 2 guard spot. his scoring efficiency season to season is extremely impressive and the dude was incredible to watch before his body started breaking down. he was like a smaller Dominique when he was attacking the rim.

I think DWade probably surpasses AI for that third best 2 guard spot. his scoring efficiency season to season is extremely impressive and the dude was incredible to watch before his body started breaking down. he was like a smaller Dominique when he was attacking the rim.

I concur. I would put drex before AI also.

Edit:

Who's your number 2?

Blackace

Don't disagree but that 8 year stretch by T-mac is pretty close

I concur. I would put drex before AI also.

Edit:

Who's your number 2?
T-mac and Drex

Kobe is number 2

Top Bottom