• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Akim

Banned
Man...it was fun going to an away game in Vancouver. The Sounders supporters seemed pretty loud compared to the rest of the stadium, but I was right with them, so maybe that's why. So glad Fredy was able to tie it up. I was about to be supremely butthurt.

Man, the situation in Philly is really pointing to something happening about Nowak, not sure how then keep brushing it all under the rug.

I awoke to this today on the Union FB page about last nights game.

David- you must have missed the saga. My husband did not asked to be traded. But he is being treated with respect and is at a team that values him. Go Chivas!!!!

thats Danny Califfs wife...

pretty soon nobody is gonna wanna come to Philly to play..

Socreges

Banned
I hope so. Would like Toronto to roll over and take it tonight.

Man...it was fun going to an away game in Vancouver. The Sounders supporters seemed pretty loud compared to the rest of the stadium, but I was right with them, so maybe that's why. So glad Fredy was able to tie it up. I was about to be supremely butthurt.
Compare:

Sounders' 1-1 goal: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-19-van-v-sea/highlights?videoID=186191
Caps' 1-0 goal: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-19-van-v-sea/highlights?videoID=186183

Caps fans are much louder as you'd expect, but you can definitely hear a lot of cheers during the Sounders goal. How many made the trip up?

xbhaskarx

I'm rooting for Vancouver tonight. They are the better team, better players, coaching, executives, etc. It would be an embarrassment to Canada for a 0-9 team to represent them in Champions League.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Backe, the sport you manage in features the ability to replace 3 tired or injured players with fresh players with the bench. It's a magnificent feature, so please use it.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
He didn't pay for the season pass brah, he can't use that feature.

139600hp2.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Hopefully they put Salgado in soon.

This SN cast has a preference for Toronto. Kind of grating, but I guess they've been covering the team for several years now and are based in the city.

Socreges

Banned
Toronto/Vancouver match just got messy. De Guzman sent off for a slap and Le Toux sent off for a stomp that never actually happened.

Socreges

Banned
Caps looked like they didn't care while it seemed like TFC was playing for their lives. Dominated.

And no Salgado. Don't understand why this guy gets so few looks. I must be missing something.

xbhaskarx

LOL

< bow > Alan Gordon < bow >

Has anyone this mediocre had a more clutch three game stretch in soccer history...

Bonus: it was against LA
Bonus 2: Seattle loses 2-0

xbhaskarx

No wonder I couldn't find this thread in the OT... Why are cricket, Euro 2012, college football, Formula 1, NHL offseason, etc. still on the other side? How about a little consistency?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
No wonder I couldn't find this thread in the OT... Why are cricket, Euro 2012, college football, Formula 1, NHL offseason, etc. still on the other side? How about a little consistency?

Well the EURO's are a major event so that goes in OT but the others I agree with.

I don't see why you bothered highlighting that. TFC is 0-9 is MLS play so they are not making the playoffs for sure.
The game last night was the only game that really mattered for the rest of this year since it gave them a shot at Champions League.

Socreges

Banned
If that's what you're saying, then fine. Just didn't read that way with the first post, especially coupled with an image saying "Best team in Canada".

If that's what you're saying, then fine. Just didn't read that way with the first post, especially coupled with an image saying "Best team in Canada".

The image is pretty self-deprecating though... I mean it does say "worst team in the world". The joke is that TFC shouldn't be the champion of anything with an 0-9 record. Someone made another joke that TFC could lose every single game in MLS play this year and then win the Champions League.

Having said that though, I think having a separate Canadian Championship is very important for growing the sport in this country. It looks funny to people right now since only four teams play in it but it gives the opportunity to keep adding more lower level teams from other parts of Canada that don't have MLS teams. That is the only way to really help make soccer bigger in the other parts of the country which would hopefully improve the national team down the road.

xbhaskarx

I thought this was interesting...

The real MLS table
Today the standings on mlssoccer.com show FC Dallas 7th in the Western Conference, and only 3 points out of the all-important fifth and final playoff spot. Don't get a false sense of optimism from that sentence, because it is quite misleading. Dallas has played 2 or 3 more games than all of their playoff competitors, and thus squandered more opportunities to pick up points, and are left with less chances to make up ground.

Points Per Game (PPG) is a much more accurate way to show a club's real standing when unequal numbers of matches have been played. Below, I calculated PPG and Goal Differential Per Game (GDPG) for the Western Conference. Also, I added in a very simple metric for how many PPG each club probably needs to have a good chance at making the playoffs. I set the playoff point target at 46, since Sports Club Stats' simulations give every Western club 50+% chance to make the playoffs at that level (certainly possible the actual cutoff will be higher or lower, but it should be in that neighborhood). Thus I calculated "PPG needed" by subtracting current points from 46 and dividing that by 34 minus games played.
5-25_MLS_table_-_West_medium.JPG

If TFC made the playoffs they would win the cup but we don't have to worry about that ever happening. They will probably pull a Leafs and win the last 10 games and miss the playoffs by 1 point or something.

blurrygil

Missed ya (I assume, I was smashed most of the trip...lol) on this one man! What happened?

Oh wait, I know: I never hit ya up on FB. I suck. :p

Caps fans are much louder as you'd expect, but you can definitely hear a lot of cheers during the Sounders goal. How many made the trip up?

Southsiders are getting a little better. They at least turned up for the match, this time.

ECS alone had 600+. Likely well over 1k in our sections.

Sorry, Seattle fans. Hehehehe.
i shouldn't be talking shit... My team is doing awful.

Leave and never come back. Or at least until you change to proper colors.

Speaking of those scum, it's possible we'll have to make a 3RD FUCKIN TRIP DOWN THERE if both sides win their ties. jhasd;tfg aweh;f jkasdjfo;asdho;djkas.....*huff*

F*ck MLS/USSF scheduling.

lol

Can we just relegate them to NASL or somewhere...?

nick nacc

Banned
did anyone catch the quakes game?

HOLY SHIT ALAN GORDON. has done it like 3 times now? dude is a stud. i fell bad for the galaxy, its weird to me that there record is terribad, thye are still "good" to me but they just lose every game lol/

oh yeah id like to introduce myself to the thread! HEY YAL!

i stated paying attention to mls last year. i still havent decided who my "team" is. and my reasons for liking teams is still juvenile but who gives a shit, whatever starts the obsession.

right now i like

1.seattle. montero is a beast and the jerseys last year caught my eye, especially the neon one. also the fans seem intense.

2ny red bulls. terry heinry is awesome and i usually pick them in fifa. like the organization cus idk it got money lol and players. good uni

3. san jose. good uni, gordan and that blond crazy hair dude.

4. rls. i cant go to a game irl but something keeps coming up.

5. galaxy. beckham is a legend and donavin too. they were awesome last year and kean is great too. awesome unis. can you tell that uniforms are a big deal to me? lol im just starting off!

6. sporting k. i like their highlights lol, dont recall any player names but they are good this year even though on a losing streak now. love the uni's look like purple mambas.

so yeah what are your guys' teams and for what reasons? whats your favorite mls uniform? mls is so exciting now, it seems like people are WANTING to become soccer lunatics and in some cities it looks like its working. its become way popular and "in" to be a soccer nut. i think the world cup was definityl a catalyst.

blurrygil

did anyone catch the quakes game?

HOLY SHIT ALAN GORDON. has done it like 3 times now? dude is a stud. i fell bad for the galaxy, its weird to me that there record is terribad, thye are still "good" to me but they just lose every game lol/

LA is garbage on their back line this year. And they got lazy, again. Seems to be a recurring issue with them all of a sudden.

oh yeah id like to introduce myself to the thread! HEY YAL!

Cheers man, and welcome!

i stated paying attention to mls last year. i still havent decided who my "team" is. and my reasons for liking teams is still juvenile but who gives a shit, whatever starts the obsession.

I'd recommend selecting a club that most regional to you. A club you can identify and be passionate about. Not just who you think is "the best" or whatnot. A club you're willing to stick thru thick and thin. Through the lowest of lows and the darkest days. Unless you're Seattle, cos then I have no idea what that's like...jk. :)

Seriously however, pick a club you can identify and stay behind. No other will respect you for being a bandwagoner or a shirter (one who just likes all the clubs they can for image).

right now i like

1.seattle. montero is a beast and the jerseys last year caught my eye, especially the neon one. also the fans seem intense.

If you're talking about our 3rd kit, I hate them. Not as much as when they were revealed two years ago. But man, they're so obnoxious. This year's 3rd is just fuckin terrible...

2ny red bulls. terry heinry is awesome and i usually pick them in fifa. like the organization cus idk it got money lol and players. good uni

3. san jose. good uni, gordan and that blond crazy hair dude.

4. rls. i cant go to a game irl but something keeps coming up.

5. galaxy. beckham is a legend and donavin too. they were awesome last year and kean is great too. awesome unis. can you tell that uniforms are a big deal to me? lol im just starting off!

6. sporting k. i like their highlights lol, dont recall any player names but they are good this year even though on a losing streak now. love the uni's look like purple mambas.

so yeah what are your guys' teams and for what reasons? whats your favorite mls uniform? mls is so exciting now, it seems like people are WANTING to become soccer lunatics and in some cities it looks like its working. its become way popular and "in" to be a soccer nut. i think the world cup was definityl a catalyst.

Again, it matters where you're from, regionally. At least, it matters the most to me. See my posts above.

Kits shouldn't matter. Crest and club are what should matter. Adidas will just butcher your dreams if you're set on kits.

Becks, Keane, Henry...all their skills and european accomplishments mean shit once they've come into this league. Just because they're being paid a gods random, that should never make a fan out of someone to their club. Personally, I find that petty.

Anyways, welcome and I hope you enjoy becoming a proper supporter. Find a club, stay with them, have some pints and get stuck in.

And welcome again!

What a night.

Just sat through last years Memorial Day game, Union vs. Toronto.
Love that Comcast Sports Network plays "classic" games but it was fucking heartbreaking seeing Le Toux, Mondragon, Califf, Harvey, Mapp..hell even Nakazawa.

Do I think we can walk into Toronto this year and put up a 6-2 victory? I'm worried we dont even tie..

Toronto might be 0-9 but we arent that far away with 8 points (2-6-2) They might be the worst team in the league but were next in line.

What a night.

Just sat through last years Memorial Day game, Union vs. Toronto.
Love that Comcast Sports Network plays "classic" games but it was fucking heartbreaking seeing Le Toux, Mondragon, Califf, Harvey, Mapp..hell even Nakazawa.

Do I think we can walk into Toronto this year and put up a 6-2 victory? I'm worried we dont even tie..

Toronto might be 0-9 but we arent that far away with 8 points (2-6-2) They might be the worst team in the league but were next in line.

were gonna lose

u heard it here 1st

xbhaskarx

Galolxy lose again

As a fan of Toronto FC, I stick with them through the bad times and the worse times.

I have a feeling they are starting to turn it around with the win over Vancouver after hitting rock bottom at 0-9. Pretty much everyone seems to think they can beat Philly. But then I had TFC making the playoffs so what do I know...

I thought this was interesting...

The real MLS table

5-25_MLS_table_-_West_medium.JPG

Yeah, this is easily my biggest pet peeve about soccer analysis. None of the other sports penalize teams for playing fewer games than other teams; they all use a win percentage metric. Why the equivalent for soccer standings, PPG, isn't standard is beyond me.

I use settingthetable.info to check the real table. You can sort the standings by PPG there, though it doesn't update as soon as mlssoccer.com's standings.

And go Toronto!

Alan Gordon. One of the many star players that Toronto FC throws away like trash. Imagine if we still had Cunningham, De Rosario, Gordon, Buddle, Santos, a healthy Stephan Frei + Johnson, Frings, Plata, and Silva.

Alan Gordon. One of the many star players that Toronto FC throws away like trash. Imagine if we still had Cunningham, De Rosario, Gordon, Buddle, Santos, a healthy Stephan Frei + Johnson, Frings, Plata, and Silva.

I doubt you could fit all those guys under the salary cap. Still a fair point, though; you guys have chased off a lot of talent.

elsk

Banned
Guys I have a question, what formation is DC United using lately? I heard that Najar played as Right-back for some matches(?!), was he good there, is he back to RW position?

Thanks! :)
btw: I still think you guys should merge this thread with Footy-Gaf but still, glad to see you guys having your own thread in Community!

Top Bottom