• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I have a question, what formation is DC United using lately? I heard that Najar played as Right-back for some matches(?!), was he good there, is he back to RW position?

Thanks! :)
btw: I still think you guys should merge this thread with Footy-Gaf but still, glad to see you guys having your own thread in Community!

We've only played a 4-4-2. Yes he played right back due to injuries. He did okay. He had some nice runs but was shaky on defense. He played right wing tonight.

elsk

Banned
^Thanks, man. I saw a match the other day (the MLS coverage is very poor over here) and this guy Pontius looks very talented. You're on first place on your conference, right?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
^Thanks, man. I saw a match the other day (the MLS coverage is very poor over here) and this guy Pontius looks very talented. You're on first place on your conference, right?

Yah we just took first place with the win tonight. Pontius had a great season last year until he broke his leg. He has been great this season but has some injuries bothering him recently.

Hieberrr

Yay, TFC won their first game! Today was my first time at BMO field and its such a nice facility. Obviously probably nothing compared to BBVA or Redbull Arena (and the likes) but still... good stuff :D

Chris R

Love the atmosphere at basically every Portland/Seattle/Vancouver home games. NW football fans bring it. Only matched by a select few college football teams really.

zedge

Love the atmosphere at basically every Portland/Seattle/Vancouver home games. NW football fans bring it. Only matched by a select few college football teams really.

This is true. Trying to get to a White caps game when we are in Van this summer. Would love to go to a Sounders game too.

Chris R

So I'm watching the Van/Por game... WHEN DID THIS MAGIC SPRAY COME ABOUT (the spray the ref can use to mark 10 yards out for a free kick)? Granted I haven't watched much football this year, but this is the first I've seen of it. Is it MLS only right now? I didn't see it used in a single Premiership game from last season. Will it be used in Euro 2012?

Oh, also, goal.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm watching the Van/Por game... WHEN DID THIS MAGIC SPRAY COME ABOUT (the spray the ref can use to mark 10 yards out for a free kick)? Granted I haven't watched much football this year, but this is the first I've seen of it. Is it MLS only right now? I didn't see it used in a single Premiership game from last season. Will it be used in Euro 2012?

Oh, also, goal.

I've seen it used in MLS and I think Mexico's league as well.

The cries of "Fire Nowak" are out in full force tonight.

A facebook page made to fire his ass, an online petition, the usual "Im done going to games" or "When at games, dont buy merch or food!"

I'm actually enjoying the off-field drama more then games (seriously, how could anyone enjoy watching the Union play this year anyways?)

Amazing what Peter has done..Took an expansion team, built them into a playoff caliber team, then deconstructed them methodically to become "The new worse team in the world"
All started last year honestly, sending Harvey off to Vancouver while we had the #1 defense in the league.

Oh, also, goal.

The use that chit too brah in the npower championships.

elsk

Banned

Oh, also, goal.

That's very used in South American leagues, for a few years already. In Copa Libertadores too (IIRC).

geeko

Went to a couple of Earthquakes games so far this year with my buddies who are 'Ultras'. Its nice to see the Quakes on top, and Wondo is a beast. I didn't used to like soccer much but when you get drunk and yell chants the whole time it kinda livens it up. Helps that they are winning too. GO QUAKES, LA SUCKS!

Askani

SKC game was on a channel I don't get, so had to settle for highlights.

Lots of good things out of that game:

• A win for us
  • A win against a hot team
  • Sapong finally getting a goal again
  • Kamara getting a goal again
  • Bunbury staying involved
  • Zusi finally making some more things happen
  • Lots of great first touch shots and crosses
  • Excellent crosses to the middle of the field
  • Lots of chances during the run of play which is something we are sorely lacking

Gotta keep that momentum going!

Nesotenso

Oh, also, goal.

I have seen it used in international Cricket.

edit :I didn't read your entire post. I thought you were referring to the spray cans physios used. I think those cans are called magic sprays.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's been used in most of Latin America for years.

toxk_02

Black Republican
Couple upsets already tonight in the US Open Cup and more brewing.

UPDATED
Final:
Minnesota Stars FC 3 - 1 Real Salt Lake
Harrisburg City Islanders 3 (4) - ET - 3 (3) New England Revolution
Michigan Bucks 3 - ET - 2 Chicago Fire
Carolina Railhawks 2 - 1 LA Galaxy
Dayton Dutch Lions 2 - 1 Columbus Crew
Colorado Rapids 3 - 1 Tampa Bay Rowdies
DC United 2 - ET - 1 Richmond Kickers
New York Redbull 3 - 0 Charleston Battery
Philadelphia Union 3 - 0 Rochester Rhinos
Sporting KC 3 - 2 Orlando City
San Antonio Scorpions 2 - 1 Houston Dynamo
Charlotte Eagles 2 - 0 FC Dallas

2nd Half:
Chivas USA 1 - 0 Ventura County Fusion

1st Half:
Fort Lauderdale Strikers 0 - 0 San Jose Earthquakes

Holy shit New England scored 3 goals in ET, then Harrisburg answered back with 3 in row to tie it, the last in the 120'. Wow. On to PKs.

Harrisburg wins 4-3 on PKs, goddamn what a comeback! Now 5 MLS teams out.

Annnd 7. Bodies really piling up.

Dayton, they are one of the worst teams and organizations in all of the USL. haha

This is what happens when the NASL are allowed to compete. We are looking at a new world order in american soccer landscape.

Meier

I wasn't able to watch the Orlando City match but apparently a fairly controversial red card played a major role in the game. Amazing that there were so many upsets tonight.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think seven MLS teams were eliminated. I guess LA doesn't want to even try and win a single trophy this year. Even the Red Bulls tried, which is surprising because I thought they liked having an empty trophy cabinet.

Askani

So I didn't see the game, and there's no video about it that I've found. That being said...

What is this about Jon Busch (San Jose GK) abusing a SKC ball boy? Story is that he was upset and kind of douchy during the game. I guess at one point he threw a ball into the Cauldron (our supporters section). I read someplace the ball boy was holding the ball out and made Busch come get it instead of throwing it in and Busch kind of yanked it out of the kids hands. Then someplace else they said he shoved him or was otherwise rough with him. I guess afterwards they trotted the kid out to talk to Security and the San Jose coach? Is this a real thing? I'm guessing with the limited info I can find about it, nothing really happened.

I don't know how much of this is truth or is 100% being made up. Probably being blown out of proportion. Everything has been a SKC specific blog or tweet as far as I know. Just something I heard and I didn't know the story.

blurrygil

...That was the greatest thing to happen in the history of everything

I cried in laughter last night. No, really. My gf has a pic, I think.

99 years of The Cup. No top-tier club, since the modern era, has lost to a 5th-tier club.

They don't even practice weekly.

They don't get paid.

They're owned by Eric Wynalda.

BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Top Bottom