• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Askani

Sweet Jesus! A team actually wanted Harrington? That's amazing.

Although now because I've said that, he'll go to Portland and magically turn in to a rock star player.

Olave and Johnson is a shock.

Jeff-DSA

I know I don't post here much, but I attend most RSL home games. I'm gutted by the recent moves. Olave was my favorite RSL guy. He's just 100% solid and consistent. Espindola was my second favorite guy, so seeing the two of them go to New York sucks. I'm fine with Will Johnson going, because Luis Gil is better now and is still improving.

It's going to be a weird offseason for RSL. If they don't use that allocation money well, I'll be pissed.

Kevin Payne left DC United to take over at Toronto. He's been around since the founding season.

Says it's the only job he'd leave DC for.

Good for Toronto.

It is very promising. The fans here have been wanting them to hire a competent president with a good MLS track record for years now and they finally did it.
Kevin Payne at DC United is one of the most impressive MLS runs for sure.

With this news and the cutting of season ticket prices back to year one amounts, it seems like the TFC front office finally had to step it up and do something.

I want to be optimistic, but it's TFC so I figure it's best to just plan for the worst and just be pleasantly surprised if anything decent happens.

Hieberrr

It is very promising. The fans here have been wanting them to hire a competent president with a good MLS track record for years now and they finally did it.
Kevin Payne at DC United is one of the most impressive MLS runs for sure.

With this news and the cutting of season ticket prices back to year one amounts, it seems like the TFC front office finally had to step it up and do something.

I want to be optimistic, but it's TFC so I figure it's best to just plan for the worst and just be pleasantly surprised if anything decent happens.

Even though I'm no longer a TFC fan, I'd life to see them do well since it's my hometown team and all. I just don't see Paul Mariner leading TFC to a winning season. The stylw of.play was terrible under him. Terrible passing, over dependency on long balls, strikes from way outside of the box... yeah.

Even though I'm no longer a TFC fan, I'd life to see them do well since it's my hometown team and all. I just don't see Paul Mariner leading TFC to a winning season. The stylw of.play was terrible under him. Terrible passing, over dependency on long balls, strikes from way outside of the box... yeah.

I was definitely hoping for a clean break on the coaching staff as well. It will be hard for the new president to make his mark otherwise.

s7evn

I know I don't post here much, but I attend most RSL home games. I'm gutted by the recent moves. Olave was my favorite RSL guy. He's just 100% solid and consistent. Espindola was my second favorite guy, so seeing the two of them go to New York sucks. I'm fine with Will Johnson going, because Luis Gil is better now and is still improving.

It's going to be a weird offseason for RSL. If they don't use that allocation money well, I'll be pissed.

Espindola dives too much for me to like him, but he had a knack for finding the goal. The team knows what their doing, so I'm not concerned.

Osorio

First rumor of the off-season for the Roxburgh/Houllier era

Juninho Pernambucano. 37 years old playing at Vasco da Gama. Mostly known for his time at Lyon when they won 7 straight French titles.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
First rumor of the off-season for the Roxburgh/Houllier era

Juninho Pernambucano. 37 years old playing at Vasco da Gama. Mostly known for his time at Lyon when they won 7 straight French titles.

Is he the Juninho that takes amazing free kicks?

Osorio

If he does sign with the Red Bulls I don't see where Cahill fits into your formation. You guys have plenty of strikers.

If it wasn't for the 3 or 4 year contract (don't remember) I'd think Cahill would be cut by now.

He was honestly a big disappointment for me last campaign. Not that he's a bad player but someone like Juninho is what we need, whereas Cahill is not.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
If it wasn't for the 3 or 4 year contract (don't remember) I'd think Cahill would be cut by now.

He was honestly a big disappointment for me last campaign. Not that he's a bad player but someone like Juninho is what we need, whereas Cahill is not.

Yeah he looked awful for you guys. It isn't surprising since the last time he was good was with Everton two seasons ago before he got injured at the AFC.

Hieberrr

Yes it is.

Red Bulls fans on Metrofanatic think getting Espindola is the cost-cutting replacement for Cooper.

I can see that, but I don't think any Red Bulls fan would hope that to be true.
Cooper was like an ultra poor man's Mario Gomez of last season.

Askani

Well...shit. I knew is was coming, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1252104?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&cc=5901

ESPN.com said:
Honduras international Roger Espinoza said he will sign for Wigan when the transfer window opens on January 1.

Espinoza, a defender or midfielder with Sporting Kansas City, will finalize a two-and-a-half year deal at the DW Stadium and said he turned down moves to Spanish and Portuguese clubs as well as other English outfits.

Espinoza revealed Wigan manager Roberto Martinez had been tracking his progress since 2010 and told him he expects the 26-year-old to become “a key player” in his team.

A member of his country’s Olympic squad, Espinoza will join his international team-mate Maynor Figueroa at Wigan, who have had two other Hondurans, Wilson Palacios and Hendry Thomas, in recent years.

“The idea is to be in England in two weeks, then we will make the move official once my MLS contract expires on December 31,” Espinoza told goal.com. “So I won't be able to work with the team this year but at least I will have time to settle myself in the area.

“My contract is for two-and-a-half years. I'm glad for the stability of the contract. I'm signed with Wigan but my agent told me that teams in England, Spain, Portugal were also interested.”

Espinoza has been capped 25 times by Honduras and said he is confident he will be granted a work permit to play in the United Kingdom.

Askani

And on the heals of that news:

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2012/12/sporting-kansas-city-acquires-josh-gardner-montreal-impact

SportingKC.com said:
Sporting Kansas City acquired defender/midfielder Josh Gardner from the Montreal Impact on Wednesday in exchange for Sporting KC’s highest pick in the second round of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. The option on Gardner’s contract has been exercised and he has been added to the Sporting Kansas City roster. Per club policy, terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.

More at the link. I don't know much about him. Looks like he's bounced around from club to club the last few years. I can't imagine him being the starter though. That being said, I don't know who Vermes will try to have step up and be the guy in Roger's spot. I'm assuming it will be Nagamura with Joseph and Rossell as subs depending on how they do in the offseason.

Osorio

Cahill to come back to Everton confirmed

Sorry guys, I do lurk here sometimes, even though I don't know a lot about MLS

I'll be looking at him there. Everton are one of my favorite sides anyway but I'm interested to see his performances. If he was lackluster here, what's he going to be like in the Prem?

Osorio

Final MLS Cup ratings were a 0.7

There were about 550k viewers for the Spanish broadcast

The Mexican League final got 3M viewers.

Something for Garber to think about.

faridmon

I'll be looking at him there. Everton are one of my favorite sides anyway but I'm interested to see his performances. If he was lackluster here, what's he going to be like in the Prem?

Yeah, he lost a pace or two, two years ago and has never been the same. As an Everton fan, He still is one of my favourite players and we do have some shitty players here already (Like bloody Neville) he will fit right in.

xbhaskarx

NY and LA are two team markets in just about every sport.
The Galaxy had a second team added to the LA market, even though they have good attendance and a successful team. Right now the only NY team has mediocre attendance despite one of the best stadiums and doesn't win anything of importance, maybe if they didn't have both those problems MLS wouldn't be so eager to add another team there.

Hieberrr

Random thought as I'm watching the 2012 goals from TFC: I still have a soft spot for the team despite cheering on the Impact, but damn, I really hope everything works out this year. Nothing substantial happening since 2007 while newer teams have all tasted some kind of success (relatively). I really hope the team makes it to the playoffs so I can see the fans experience something special.

Random thought as I'm watching the 2012 goals from TFC: I still have a soft spot for the team despite cheering on the Impact, but damn, I really hope everything works out this year. Nothing substantial happening since 2007 while newer teams have all tasted some kind of success (relatively). I really hope the team makes it to the playoffs so I can see the fans experience something special.

Come back to us. We still love you.

Hieberrr

Come back to us. We still love you.

IFusY.jpg

My TFC jersey is still in my drawer :p

Askani

Looks like we have replacement for one of the holes left by Cesar and Espinoza.

Good move for SKC.

Sporting Kansas City made perhaps the biggest move of the MLS offseason so far on Tuesday, landing World Cup veteran midfielder Benny Feilhaber from the struggling New England Revolution in exchange for allocation money, Sporting KC’s natural first-round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft and natural second-round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft.

Feilhaber, 27, was out of contract with the Revs following the 2012 season and now finds himself in the midfield for one of the preeminent teams in the league since their 2011 rebirth. SKC posted the best regular-season record in the Eastern Conference each of the past two seasons before they were bounced from the postseason by the Houston Dynamo, but Feilhaber should add some offensive punch to a midfield that already boasts US national team regular Graham Zusi.

“I am really excited to come to Sporting Kansas City,” Feilhaber said in a statement. “It is a top-class organization and team in Major League Soccer. My goal is to help the team however I can. I cannot wait to play in the best stadium in the league and in front of a great fan base. I am already hyped for the first home game.”

More at link: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/11/sporting-kansas-city-deal-world-cup-vet-feilhaber

Osorio

So the new general manager Jerome De Bontin was on bloomberg the other day. He was also at the ESC Holiday Party and so far everybody is impressed with the man. He's very intelligent and expresses himself very clearly in a language that is not his native language. He also has an understanding for the American soccer landscape and is trying to build the team around the draft and the academy. Supposedly RBNY is Red Bull's biggest priority at the moment amongst all the teams they run. If you want to see his interview just go to the link

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/debontin-talks-rbny-with-bloomberg-news.html

And in other news we signed two academy players:

Santiago Castano
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 6-2
Weight: 184 pounds
Day of Birth: April 14, 1995 in Queens, NY
Hometown: Union City, NJ
Previous Club: Red Bulls Academy
How Acquired: Signed on Dec. 11, 2012 via MLS Homegrown Player rule.

Armando Moreno
Position: Forward
Height: 5-7
Weight: 145 pounds
Day of Birth: Sept. 10, 1995 in Perth Amboy, NJ
Hometown: Morganville, NJ

Santiago is from the town next to my hometown so I'll be looking out for him.

Nesotenso

Looks like we have replacement for one of the holes left by Cesar and Espinoza.

Good move for SKC.

More at link: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/11/sporting-kansas-city-deal-world-cup-vet-feilhaber

I am ok with Feilhaber news. With Champions League, there will be playing time available for more. I want to see some younger players like Soony Saad try to crack the starting rotation. But we need forwards and Bunbury is gonna be out for sometime next year.

Askani

More good news! Keeping that back line strong.

Soccer By Ives said:
Sporting Kansas City lost one key player in the off-season when Roger Espinoza made his long-rumored move to English Premier League side Wigan, but Sporting KC has succeeded in keeping another important player home.

Sporting KC has re-signed 2012 MLS Defender of the Year Matt Besler to a new four-year contract, sources confirmed to SBI on Wednesday.

Besler had offers on the table from English clubs Queens Park Rangers and Birmingham City, as well as Belgian side Gent, but ultimately decided to stay with his hometown team, where he has spent the past four seasons.

More at link: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/besler-re-signs-with-sporting-kc.html

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So the new general manager Jerome De Bontin was on bloomberg the other day. He was also at the ESC Holiday Party and so far everybody is impressed with the man. He's very intelligent and expresses himself very clearly in a language that is not his native language. He also has an understanding for the American soccer landscape and is trying to build the team around the draft and the academy. Supposedly RBNY is Red Bull's biggest priority at the moment amongst all the teams they run. If you want to see his interview just go to the link

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/debontin-talks-rbny-with-bloomberg-news.html

And in other news we signed two academy players:

Santiago Castano
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 6-2
Weight: 184 pounds
Day of Birth: April 14, 1995 in Queens, NY
Hometown: Union City, NJ

Armando Moreno
Position: Forward
Height: 5-7
Weight: 145 pounds
Day of Birth: Sept. 10, 1995 in Perth Amboy, NJ
Hometown: Morganville, NJ

Santiago is from the town next to my hometown so I'll be looking out for him.

I hope something can be done in the next few years to get more playing time for Homegrown players. We need a real reserve league that doesn't cancel half the games.

xbhaskarx

Orlando City early rendering
Although their website says
City also showed fans and press in attendance an early rendering of a soccer stadium that would be built for Orlando City SC and Major League Soccer. Even though the renderings do not reflect the final product, it reaffirmed everyone around the country that Orlando has been working tirelessly to bringing a Major League franchise to Central Florida.

Two more:
http://assets.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/Entrance (2)*900.jpg?v=1
http://assets.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/Game (2)*900.jpg?v=1

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
SKC picked up Opara for a 2nd round pick. Maybe KC will be the place where Ike gets his career on track. It could prove to be a steal.

Askani

Not a fan. Dude needs to go to Europe to develop more.

At least SKC might get a chunk of change if they sell him to a European team down the line.

I think he can do better than the teams that were on the table. Also, there's something to be said for playing for your hometown for as long as possible. He clearly wants to stay here instead of jumping directly to any Euro team so he should go with what makes him happy. Whatever the case, I'm glad he's here. With being on the USMNT already, and winning Defensive PotY, I can't imagine he won't get more callups anyway.

Nesotenso

Not a fan. Dude needs to go to Europe to develop more.

At least SKC might get a chunk of change if they sell him to a European team down the line.

I don't think offers were solid. Getting a UK work permit would be hard for him. At SKC he gets regular starting time. Besler and Gonzalez will eventually crack the national team and move abroad if they keep their form.

SKC picked up Opara for a 2nd round pick. Maybe KC will be the place where Ike gets his career on track. It could prove to be a steal.

I was really hoping for Seattle to pick him up. Not sure how much playing time he's likely to get, since he won't be unseating either starter for SKC, but they should give their second team a lot of run outs with CCL, so it's not a terrible move for him.

As for his value to KC, I think a lot depends on what his final contract number looks like. His $200k option is too expensive, but he'd be a good value at $150k and a steal at 100.

RBH

A new Atlanta Falcons stadium should seat 80,000 people “for marquee events such as Super Bowls” but should “feel right-sized” for smaller events, such as Major League Soccer games. It should have fewer suites, more club seats and about 200,000 more square feet of space than the Georgia Dome.

Those are among preliminary specifications outlined in a document issued this week to solicit applications from architects interested in designing the proposed retractable-roof stadium.
The downtown stadium should be “a distinctly iconic landmark for the city of Atlanta and the state of Georgia,” according to the request for qualifications (RFQ) issued by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority and the Falcons.

It should have permanent seating for 66,000 to 72,000 spectators at NFL games but should be designed so that capacity can expand to 80,000 for mega-events, according to the document. The Georgia Dome seats 71,250.

The new facility is envisioned to have about 10,000 club seats, up from the Dome’s current 5,174, and about 120 suites, down from the Dome’s 173. Club seats come with access to amenities, such as lounge areas. The Dome’s inventory of suites does not sell out annually, and a smaller number could drive demand and pricing power.

Some of the club seats and suites might move from their traditional location in the middle bowl. The RFQ says field level suites “should be considered,” including 10 20-person suites in each end zone.

The document says the design should consider a plaza space adjacent to the main entrance for tailgating, hospitality, entertainment and sponsorship activation. It says a team store should be included at street level, accessible from inside and outside the stadium. And it makes provisions for events other than football.

The field dimensions should meet FIFA World Cup standards, according to the RFQ. And, while the Falcons would be the stadium’s lead tenant, architects are told that a Major League Soccer team could be a secondary tenant. The document even lists MLS administrative offices among the considerations.

Atlanta doesn’t have an MLS franchise, but the Falcons have expressed interest, dating back about five years, in bringing one here.

“We have begun to look at MLS again, how would we attract (a team) … and how it would fit,” Falcons president Rich McKay said.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/architects-get-glimpse-of-stadium-plan/nTTTM/

Osorio

I'd love an Atlanta team for road trips but that city has a hard time selling out Braves playoff games. Place is littered with transplants.

Osorio

Rafa is out!

The New York Red Bulls announced today they have come to a mutual release agreement with defender Rafa Márquez.

Per club regulations, specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“This decision has been made in the best interests of both parties concerned,” said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. “Rafa has accomplished a great deal during his career and is a top quality player. We want to thank him for his service to the Red Bulls and wish him the best of luck in the next stage of his career.”

Márquez signed with New York on Aug. 2, 2010 as a Designated Player, coming to Major League Soccer from FC Barcelona. In his two plus seasons with the club, Márquez appeared in 44 regular season games (42 of them starts) and notched one goal and nine assists. Last season, Márquez played in 15 matches and recorded three assists. He started in six playoff games during his time as a Red Bull.

Christmas came early this year.

Top Bottom