• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Fox318

What if D'antoni coached YNB?

2sHUJ.jpg

Next Year

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jalen Rose doesn't deserve to be on ESPN. he's way too level-headed and nuanced in his analysis to be a part of the Bayless - Magic - SAS crew.

Westbrook had the worst PG performance in Finals history? he played the same way in Game 1 - hell, he's played basically the same the entire playoffs without nearly this level of hyperventilating and hand-wringing.

Jalen Rose doesn't deserve to be on ESPN. he's way too level-headed and nuanced in his analysis to be a part of the Bayless - Magic - SAS crew.

Westbrook had the worst PG performance in Finals history? he played the same way in Game 1 - hell, he's played basically the same the entire playoffs without nearly this level of hyperventilating and hand-wringing.

His podcast is great too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RE: Westbrook
Dude's Wade. He's got the same explosiveness, finishing touch and tunnel vision from the mid 2000s Wade. If he didn't happen to play PG, he wouldn't get as much hate.

Did you even watch those mid 2000s Heat games? He's far from Wade.

linsivvi

Anyone blaming Westbrook for this loss is dumb. I feel he played a better all-around game than Durant. KD is the epitome of a one-dimensional player

Your boy Kobe is the epitome of a one-dimensional player at his current age.

What if antoni coached YNB?

YNB will steal 3 MVPs from others but his team will always get bounced in the playoffs. Antoni will undeservedly get praised for it though.

KingGondo

Banned
Still optimistic about the series, but things just got a lot tougher.

Gotta try and take 2 out of 3 in Miami, and they're entirely capable of that.

But our rotations have to be smarter. If Collison plays in place of Perk, pretty sure the Thunder win last night.

charsace

And people that think Battier established position on that Durant drive don't understand the charge rule. Battier didn't beat Durant to the spot and he wasn't set.

Dre3001

Westbrook looked like he was trying to get the Finals MVP last night.

There is nothing wrong with Westbrook taking a lot of shots but the problem is his shot selection is horrible.

Westbrook has played the same way this whole playoffs and always been taking poor shots but when he makes them the reaction is "wow he is hitting everything" but when he misses them it is "wow why would you take that shot".

If Westbrook shot selection was better I doubt people would have a problem with him taking shots. But when he is taking shots off balance, with people wide open, extremely early in the shot clock while guarded, etc it is very easy to get frustrated.

It also doesnt help that Durant has been amazing this Finals so far so when Westbrook takes a poor shot and misses, peoples natural reaction is to get upset that he didnt pass to Durant.

Owzers

I'm still bummed from last night's game. The YNB hole they dug early, the comeback late that ended in some Heat Ref Robbery...there really is no "away game" for the Heat when it comes to calls. I think OKC will only take 1 game in Miami.

And people that think Battier established position on that Durant drive don't understand the charge rule. Battier didn't beat Durant to the spot and he wasn't set.

Link?

The only one I can think of was an obvious charge...

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm still bummed from last night's game. The YNB hole they dug early, the comeback late that ended in some Heat Ref Robbery...there really is no "away game" for the Heat when it comes to calls. I think OKC will only take 1 game in Miami.

You gotta be fucking blind if you think the refs lost the game for OKC. We got robbed of about the same number of calls. Be a man and quit bitching about the refs.

KingGondo

Banned
I really thought we had it, too.

Would've been up there with Reggie's daggering of the Knicks if KD had pulled off that comeback.

FWIW, Steve Javie blamed the positioning of the ref on the final play for the missed call.

Owzers

Link?

The only one I can think of was an obvious charge...

You gotta be fucking blind if you think the refs lost the game for OKC. We got robbed of about the same number of calls. Be a man and quit bitching about the refs.

In the same post where you say it was an obvious charge you say the heat got robbed about the same as OKC. That looked like an obvious blocking foul with Battier shifting over to get under Durant, like he usually gets away with. If only we had Sunhi to settle the matter with gifs.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I really thought we had it, too.

Would've been up there with Reggie's daggering of the Knicks if KD had pulled off that comeback.

FWIW, Steve Javie blamed the positioning of the ref on the final play for the missed call.

It was a foul on the final play, but at the same time, I'm not against the refs just letting the players play.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's baller of Bosh of that story is true of Spoelstra just asking for 1st team starters to walk on the court for practice, and with no hesitation after game 1 Bosh walked out and camped under the basket.

He's usually a pretty humble dude, but shows you something about the guy. Mad props for taking the initiative.

Vestal

It was a foul on the final play, but at the same time, I'm not against the refs just letting the players play.

There were some missed calls both ways.. This one was just at the end of the game, due to bad positioning. I agree LET them play. The contact did not alter the shot, KD got a clean look and missed it.

Thunder fans should be pissed off more at the 18-2 start than this. Thats what cost them the game.

In the same post where you say it was an obvious charge you say the heat got robbed about the same as OKC. That looked like an obvious blocking foul with Battier shifting over to get under Durant, like he usually gets away with. If only we had Sunhi to settle the matter with gifs.

Say what? The play im talking about was an obvious charge on Durant and was called as such. Try to keep up.

KingGondo

Banned
Within reason. If Bron had simply been contesting the shot and made incidental contact, fine.

But he fell asleep on the inbound, was gonna get beat to the rim, so he stayed down and fouled at least twice (the arm wrap and the arm on KD's knee to prevent full elevation).

KD still probably should have made the shot, but the foul was pretty clear-cut. Refs have to be in the right position to make those calls.

Whatever. The Thunder played a pretty horrible game and it still would have come down to a final shot for Miami. No excuses at this level--you have to play well to win games in the Finals.

It's time for the city of Miami to do it's thing. We got young guys from OKC coming in, club owners treat them like kings. Give them a free open bar, let them have whatever they want. Women of Miami don't let them sleep. I want these guys fucked up before game 3.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm OK with Westbrook shooting a lot, but they have to be better shots.

Transition pull-up jumpers are OK, and driving to the basket is fine too. But I hate hate hate when he dribbles around the perimeter for 15 seconds then pulls up and takes an off-balance shot.

MiamiWesker said:
It's time for the city of Miami to do it's thing. We got young guys from OKC coming in, club owners treat them like kings. Give them a free open bar, let them have whatever they want. Women of Miami don't let them sleep. I want these guys fucked up before game 3.
I'll have you know that KD is a good Christian boy, Harden has a gf, and YNB cares more about shopping than going to the club.

Nice try.
smiley_smug.gif

Vestal

yep, Rondo would never put up 7 points on 15 shots or 22 points on 20 shots against the Heat

Rondo atleast can actually be the General on the floor, and guide his team through the Offense. He hardly makes bone headed passes, and doesn't force up contested Jumpers 8 seconds into the shot clock. Ever see Rondo pass up the opportunity to hit an Open Jesus or Pierce for a shot?

Vestal

I'm OK with Westbrook shooting a lot, but they have to be better shots.

Transition pull-up jumpers are OK, and driving to the basket is fine too. But I hate hate hate when he dribbles around the perimeter for 15 seconds then pulls up and takes an off-balance shot.

I'll have you know that KD is a good Christian boy, Harden has a gf, and YNB cares more about shopping than going to the club.

Nice try.
smiley_smug.gif

Coconut Grove will consume YNB with its shopping alternatives!

demigod

Every Heat fan says it was a charge, Battier's feet wasn't set, he was still moving. It could've went either way but I think the refs got that call right. Durant was robbed on the last play by the refs though. It's not that they didn't see his arm hooked in Durant's arm, they just didn't want to call the foul.

PBY

Banned
Every Heat fan says it was a charge, Battier's feet wasn't set, he was still moving. It could've went either way but I think the refs got that call right. Durant was robbed on the last play by the refs though. It's not that they didn't see his arm hooked in Durant's arm, they just didn't want to call the foul.
Exactly what happened on the Durant charge

KingGondo

Banned
I think everyone can agree that there were entirely too many fouls called last night.

First game's officiating was excellent. Last night's was ticky-tack and inconsistent as hell.

KingGondo

Banned
I wonder if OKC is going to keep depending on historic KD 4th quarters?

18-2 1st quarter deficits aren't going to cut it.
I can't imagine any more games starting that poorly, but I think there's very little chance we win 1st quarters if we continue to start Perkins and Ibaka against that smallball lineup.

It'll happen, too. Brooks has to realize that matchups are what won us the Spurs series, and that's how we're gonna beat Miami too.

Refs made some bad calls and this still wasn't close to worse officiated game this playoffs.

OKC lost because of a real bad first half, KD getting into foul trouble and YNB raping their offense.

The stupid reach ins by KD and YNB after missing shots were so boneheaded, I hope they got chewed out for those.

Vestal

I can't imagine any more games starting that poorly, but I think there's very little chance we win 1st quarters if we continue to start Perkins and Ibaka against that smallball lineup.

It'll happen, too. Brooks has to realize that matchups are what won us the Spurs series, and that's how we're gonna beat Miami too.

Thing is if you take Perkins out, are u then comfortable with a 7 man rotation?

KingGondo

Banned
Gondo it's time to admit your pre-series statements about Perkins were greatly exaggerated; guy is teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrible
I thought he would be a good matchup against Bosh, and he would be if Joel Anthony was starting too.

But yeah, I can eat my words.

Vestal said:
Thing is if you take Perkins out, are u then comfortable with a 7 man rotation?
I'm fine with Perk coming in to spell Collison.

IMO, this is what our rotations should be:

Westbrook/Fisher
Sefolosha/Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Collison/Perk

I'd be OK with Daequan Cook getting a few minutes too.

I'm just bracing for the disappointment of seeing the same shitty lineup in the first quarter of game 1. Brooks' inflexibility is going to cost us this series, and I feel like OKC is definitely the more complete team.

Refs made some bad calls and this still wasn't close to worse officiated game this playoffs.

OKC lost because of a real bad first half, KD getting into foul trouble and YNB raping their offense.

The stupid reach ins by KD and YNB after missing shots were so boneheaded, I hope they got chewed out for those.

Yeah JVG touched on it but that was the 3rd straight bad start for OKC.

People really don't understand the NBA charge rule. Your feet do not have to be completely still.
Blocks/Charge: A block/charge foul occurs when a defender tries to get in front of his man to stop him from going in that direction. If he does not get into a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul. If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul. In both situations, if the contact is minimal, no foul may be called. To get into a legal position defending against the dribbler, the defender just needs to get in front of him. On a drive to the basket, the defender must get to his position before the shooter starts his upward shooting motion. For most other cases, the defender must get into position and allow enough distance for the offensive player to stop and/or change direction.

Battier was clearly already there in front of him, the fact that his feet were moving is irrelevant.

Vestal

I thought he would be a good matchup against Bosh, and he would be if Joel Anthony was starting too.

But yeah, I can eat my words.

I'm fine with Perk coming in to spell Collison.

IMO, this is what our rotations should be:

Westbrook/Fisher
Sefolosha/Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Collison/Perk

I'd be OK with Daequan Cook getting a few minutes too.

I'm just bracing for the disappointment of seeing the same shitty lineup in the first quarter of game 1. Brooks' inflexibility is going to cost us this series, and I feel like OKC is definitely the more complete team.

Ill be honest if they start the games in Miami the way they did in OKC they are going to be blown out, and this will be a 5 game series. They will not be able to recover again from a double digit deficit in Miami.

KD needs to stay out of Foul trouble thats for sure, if they want to win in Miami.

Yeah JVG touched on it but that was the 3rd straight bad start for OKC.

I would love for Brooks to start Sef/Harden-Durant-Ibaka-Collison. YNB's no pass offense hurts OKC a lot when he's not scoring or driving. Harden is way more capable of keeping them going as evident with them actually scoring when he entered the game.

Kevtones

Miami has played really focused in the 1st quarter of both games and it's been more about their excellence then OKC's futility (ignoring Westbrook).

OKC should be concerned about Wade and Bosh. Even if Bron continues to Bron in the 4th, the other two seemed to get their confidence back last night. I haven't seen that kind of effort from Bosh in awhile.

This seems like the only way the Heat can counter OKC's huge depth advantage. They need all-star efforts from the Big 3, every game, to win.

Basically, this is a GREAT series.

KingGondo

Banned
Jon Schuhmann said:
Westbrook, Sefo, KD, Green & Krstic started for nearly 2 years, played 1,937 minutes together & was a plus-5 in those 1,937 minutes.
This is why I'm bracing for another terrible start in game 3.

Brooks even started this lineup against the Lakers in the 2010 playoffs. Yes, Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic against Good Gasol and Bynum.

I understand wanting stability and consistent rotations, but this is the FINALS, ffs. If something is obviously not working, you have to be intelligent and address it.

Top Bottom