• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

I really don't get the outrage over Isiah not making the Dream Team that so many stories have. He was unbelievably inefficient and not even the best player on a mediocre team at that point in his career and was hated by everyone on the Olympic team, why is there so much discussion over it?

PBY

Banned
So apparently Miami faned up yesterday- 14000 people showed up to the triple A, apparently that place was going nuts.

I would love for Brooks to start Sef/Harden-Durant-Ibaka-Collison. YNB's no pass offense hurts OKC a lot when he's not scoring or driving. Harden is way more capable of keeping them going as evident with them actually scoring when he entered the game.

I don't know what OKC needs to do and whatever it is I hope that they don't find out lol. But as I said a little while ago, clutchness is fine and all but if you have to go insane and comeback every game you ain't gone win a lot of them.

It worked on the Greatest Team of All Time but I like to think we are a little bit better.

IDK.

I love these

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2012/06/15/0041100402_mia_okc_superhighlight.nba

KingGondo

Banned
I really don't get the outrage over Isiah not making the Dream Team that so many stories have. He was unbelievably inefficient and not even the best player on a mediocre team at that point in his career and was hated by everyone on the Olympic team, why is there so much discussion over it?
It reminds me of when people get upset when they're passed over for promotions even though they're "good at their jobs" or "more qualified than the guy who got the job."

Personality counts.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I would love for Brooks to start Sef/Harden-Durant-Ibaka-Collison. YNB's no pass offense hurts OKC a lot when he's not scoring or driving. Harden is way more capable of keeping them going as evident with them actually scoring when he entered the game.
I think inserting Collison will help enough--he's much better offensively than Perk, and he should be able to get out onto the perimeter more easily than Perk.

All we need is to not start atrociously, and the rest of our lineups are pretty superior to the Heat's IMO.

What sucks is that last night's loss gave us very little margin for error moving forward. I feel confident the series will come back to OKC, but I'm hoping against hope that it'll be OKC up 3-2 rather than Miami.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It reminds me of when people get upset when they're passed over for promotions even though they're "good at their jobs" or "more qualified than the guy who got the job."

Personality counts.

I think inserting Collison will help enough--he's much better offensively than Perk, and he should be able to get out onto the perimeter more easily than Perk.

All we need is to not start atrociously, and the rest of our lineups are pretty superior to the Heat's IMO.

What sucks is that last night's loss gave us very little margin for error moving forward. I feel confident the series will come back to OKC, but I'm hoping against hope that it'll be OKC up 3-2 rather than Miami.

I really should applaud you for not mentioning Westbrook at all like this entire thing isn't on his plate.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
kevin-durant-where-amazing-happens.jpg

I must have that shirt. Don't ask.

LuchaShaq

Banned

The way the international squads were back then you could have replaced half of the stars with end of the bench 12th men and they still would have dominated.

The way the international squads were back then you could have replaced half of the stars with end of the bench 12th men and they still would have dominated.

Yeah, but I just don't see why so many writers are arguing that a guy who was considered a total asshole should have gotten a lifetime achievement award (which is what Isiah making the Dream Team would have been)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Game 3 is going Miamis way...

Game 4 will decide this series..

Gonna have to agree with you here. Miami may have held on for dear life in game 2, but the momentum's on their side for now.

Nobody said this was going to be easy. One side gets a punch in, then the other does. I may have predicted Heat in 6, but I wouldn't be shocked if this goes to a game 7.

KingGondo

Banned
I really should applaud you for not mentioning Westbrook at all like this entire thing isn't on his plate.
It isn't entirely on his plate. He played a subpar game last night, but OKC wins the game if Brooks is smart enough to play Collison instead of Perkins in the second half.

He makes bad decisions, but the starting lineup is doing him no favors. Ibaka, Perkins and Sefolosha are essentially non-threats, so both he and KD struggle at times to begin games.

I am not apologizing for Westbrook, but he has to be set up for success. If Brooks insists on continuing to play that asstastic starting lineup, I expect to see YNB driving and dumping to Perk/Ibaka or finding Sefolosha in the corner for a three.

DY_nasty

It isn't entirely on his plate. He played a subpar game last night, but OKC wins the game if Brooks is smart enough to play Collison instead of Perkins in the second half.

He makes bad decisions, but the starting lineup is doing him no favors. Ibaka, Perkins and Sefolosha are essentially non-threats, so both he and KD struggle at times to begin games.

I am not apologizing for Westbrook, but he has to be set up for success. If Brooks insists on continuing to play that asstastic starting lineup, I expect to see YNB driving and dumping to Perk/Ibaka or finding Sefolosha in the corner for a three.

He's a point guard not a guy getting out on parole.

Stop making excuses for the guy who has the job of putting people on the right track. If he doesn't come out screaming "fuck the world" then KD doesn't abandon the offense, Perkins never has to see the ball, Ibaka isn't completely useless, and the defense isn't on its heels for the entire 1st half.

Just call it like it is.
Who said this? Hmmm let me guess :)
You want to hop in on a discussion or ride nuts?

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, but I just don't see why so many writers are arguing that a guy who was considered a total asshole should have gotten a lifetime achievement award (which is what Isiah making the Dream Team would have been)
Because what else do they have to say about it?

If they can't "craft narratives" what's the point of these sportswriters?

Ramblin

Banned

Stop making excuses for the guy who has the job of putting people on the right track. If he doesn't come out screaming "fuck the world" then KD doesn't abandon the offense, Perkins never has to see the ball, Ibaka isn't completely useless, and the defense isn't on its heels for the entire 1st half.

Just call it like it is.
You want to hop in on a discussion or ride nuts?

Just wish someone who knows about the game would talk more about it than Westbrook.

KingGondo

Banned

Just call it like it is.
He sucked last night, but it's not making excuses to say that it's not all his fault.

The starting lineup has been subpar offensively the entire season, but the difference is that Miami and San Antonio were able to exploit it defensively. Perk should never, ever, EVER end up guarding Battier or LeBron on the perimeter.

DY_nasty

Just wish someone who knows about the game would talk more about it than Westbrook.

Again, I'd love to. And often do. But when he blankets the only game on with his unique brand of "I can be the dumbest point guard in the series, even amongst Derek Fisher, Mario Chalmers, and Norris Cole" its not like there's much else.

You can squint your eyes and try and pretend that Perkins was at fault, that Shane beasted, that LBJ played maybe his best Finals game ever, that Bosh looks close to 100% and say that those are the big reasons why Miami won - but it would be almost completely disingenuous and be nothing more than a waste of thought.

This isn't Rich Gannon in the Superbowl. Its nothing like that at all.
He sucked last night, but it's not making excuses to say that it's not all his fault.

The starting lineup has been subpar offensively the entire season, but the difference is that Miami and San Antonio were able to exploit it defensively. Perk should never, ever, EVER end up guarding Battier or LeBron on the perimeter.

Again if Westbrook wasn't throwing up bullshit before his team even realized the possession was over, then maybe guys could get back on D and be in the right spot instead of just wasting energy trying to get back just in time to get dunked on.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anyone blaming Westbrook for this loss is dumb. I feel he played a better all-around game than Durant. KD is the epitome of a one-dimensional player

Easily.

Felton is probably just as dumb as Westbrook. The difference is that he doesn't have the ego. That attitude just amplifies the inner retard.

Is it possible for a player to be both incredibly overrated and incredibly underrated at the same time? Because thats how I feel about Westbrook. He is the sour gummy bear.

charsace

People really don't understand the NBA charge rule. Your feet do not have to be completely still.

Battier was clearly already there in front of him, the fact that his feet were moving is irrelevant.

Durant was already going up for the shot when Battier tried to slide under him. You can't draw a charge when a guy is going up for his shot.

PBY

Banned
Durant was already going up for the shot when Battier tried to slide under him. You can't draw a charge when a guy is going up for his shot.
Well, what battier did has been consistently called a charge. Don't know why youre so adamantly defending the refs- they just didn't wanna give KD his sixth, and you have to call something there. If Durant doesn't have 5 fouls that's called a charge

OKC wins last night if the FT% were closer to both teams' norms.

And I'm pretty sure they win if Perk played less.

You can always argue a player could have played better. But the one thing out of their control (playing Perk) should never have happened and the other (FTs) was flukey.

DY_nasty

Well, what battier did has been consistently called a charge. Don't know why youre so adamantly defending the refs- they just didn't wanna give KD his sixth, and you have to call something there. If Durant doesn't have 5 fouls that's called a charge

I agree completely. The entire game was officiated poorly. Don't think it matters one way or another.

Wasn't it like 5-7 missed free throws by the thunder, gotta make your free throws

Heh it's really a toss up each game, just really :/ the thunder start off shitty.

KingGondo

Banned
I agree completely. The entire game was officiated poorly. Don't think it matters one way or another.
I was hoping Javie would be a little more forthright on ESPN, but he was not very critical of the officiating last night.

To me, the biggest factor in the game besides the missed foul at the end and the shitty start was the bad goaltend call. At least a 5-point swing, and probably more like a 7-point swing.

Ah well, gotta persevere to win a title--this team is capable of winning 2 of 3 in Miami, they just need to go do it.

PBY

Banned
okay, they were like 10th!

But still, 82% vs 72%. You rarely see it switch to 75% vs 90% in a game with that many FTs (and not a lot of fouls on a crappy FT shooter).
No I was actually kinda agreeing w u lol- it was flukey. I don't believe in clutchness in the way many ppl do.

for some reason i keep thinking juwan howard should play for lik 5 minutes and not those free minutes at the end if we are in a blowout game. idk man. and why does norris cole get the minutes he does?

PBY

Banned
for some reason i keep thinking juwan howard should play for lik 5 minutes and not those free minutes at the end if we are in a blowout game. idk man. and why does norris cole get the minutes he does?
I think cole is fine- young legs on Westbrook so wade isn't dead by the 4th

OKC wins last night if the FT% were closer to both teams' norms.

And I'm pretty sure they win if Perk played less.

You can always argue a player could have played better. But the one thing out of their control (playing Perk) should never have happened and the other (FTs) was flukey.

I hate when people do this shit. Hypothetical situations. If they shoot their free throws better AND if Perkins played less. Guess what? They didn't and Miami won. Miami would have won game one if Wade wouldn't have chucked up bad jump shots and Miami didn't blow their double digit lead. See how this is played?

PBY

Banned
but the guy commits siime stupid fouls like every time he steps oon the court.
Oh I agree- cole world is pretty bad, but I still think that playing him a few minutes, if we can just hold on while he's in, is important so that old ass wade doesn't die by the 4th

linsivvi

I was hoping Javie would be a little more forthright on ESPN, but he was not very critical of the officiating last night.

It's because those officials were his colleagues and friends for many years. It's the same deal with JVG and Hubie Brown who very seldom would criticize coaches. It's like a fraternity and you don't rock the boat.

Unless you are Donaghy who have nothing to lose.

KingGondo

Banned
It's because those officials were his colleagues and friends for many years. It's the same deal with JVG and Hubie Brown who very seldom would criticize coaches. It's like a fraternity and you don't rock the boat.

Unless you are Donaghy who have nothing to lose.
I get that, but you can be critical of decisions without throwing the officials under the bus.

There were lots and lots of bad calls last night.

I thought Javie's explanation of how the foul on KD was missed was satisfactory, I would have liked to hear his explanation for the goaltend call.

some people are saying lebron was clutch last night, i guess. He made a clutch shot and freethrows but his passiveness was just so much more noticeable.

Top Bottom