• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

i always find it funny seeing people say "OH BASKETBALL HAS CHANGED! REFS CONTROL THE GAMES NOW!" just ridiculous. the way that basketball is now is how it's always been. the flopping is more prominent but the refs are no better and no worse than they ever were but the issue is with the internet and HD TV a gajillion camera angles we see everything and hear about everything

i always find it funny seeing people say "OH BASKETBALL HAS CHANGED! REFS CONTROL THE GAMES NOW!" just ridiculous. the way that basketball is now is how it's always been. the flopping is more prominent but the refs are no better and no worse than they ever were but the issue is with the internet and HD TV a gajillion camera angles we see everything and hear about everything

This is the first time I've ever heard an avatar.

"hey kado, how do you feel that lebron is going to win a ring?"
iolO1avQXkDpH.gif

a sad panda right here brah.

M_A_C

I don't even know why I like the NBA, I've just been watching it since I was like 10 and can't seem to quit even considering how pissed I get at the refs/Stern.

I'm the same, but this series is ridiculous. I'm thinking of not following NBA anymore even though it's my 3 favorite sport.

Owzers

I don't remember how it used to be, but did Jordan/Magic/Bird yell and cry after every shot for a foul to be called?

I'd hate the Heat less if they weren't rewarded so much for their antics.

Mxrz

I don't remember how it used to be, but did Jordan/Magic/Bird yell and cry after every shot for a foul to be called?

I'd hate the Heat less if they weren't rewarded so much for their antics.

Bird and Jordan yelled at the refs a lot. Most players did. One thing that has certainly changed is players do fall down a hell of a lot more. To hear the old players talk, you didn't want to be that guy that fell down. Now selling it is considered a key part of the game or something.

bjb

Banned
Stern wants the Heat to win, and has instructed the ref's accordingly.

Their victory creates a david vs goliath scenario next season. Where other teams will try to dethrone lebron "hgh" james and company. It's great for ESPN and business.

Stern wants the Heat to win, and has instructed the ref's accordingly.

Their victory creates a david vs goliath scenario next season. Where other teams will try to dethrone lebron "hgh" james and company. It's great for ESPN and business.

Yep, and Obama's ass is complicit in it all. Where's the DOJ on this!?!

I wonder how much the Thunder's ownership gets paid to keep quiet about it all?

Branduil

These playoffs have shown me that posy play is overrated in today's NBA. It's all about dribble penetration, shooting and athleticism

It's not overrated, it's just so rare that neither team in the Finals actually had to face an opponent with a true post threat.

if the Heat win i won't watch basketball cause it won't be as exciting to see James chase his 1st ring.

If he wins it, what's left for the NBA? what's the new storyline? boooooooring!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
These playoffs have shown me that posy play is overrated in today's NBA. It's all about dribble penetration, shooting and athleticism

There arent any good post players in the NBA today... Really if there was a really good pivot player they would be so important ... I don't even understand how you can post that..

Man oh man. We are this fucking close. Im nervous as fuck man. We lost three staright to Dallas so I aint saying shit but god if we can close it out next game.

Blackace

Big Al is still a "good" offensive post player.
He is fairly good... But in some ways he isnt a great post player because of how he shies from contact.. If he drew more fouls he would be awesome..

Blackace

Aren't kobe/artest/pau/Bynum good post players? Or i'm getting the definition all wrong?

Kobe has a decent high post fadeaway game.. Bynum is a toolbox Artest....what? And Pau waxes his crotch

Emwitus

Kobe has a decent high post fadeaway game.. Bynum is a toolbox Artest....what? And Pau waxes his crotch
So pau and bynum are not good post players? Artest used to have good post game too and kobe in the last two games against okc was pushing his man all the way to the paint. And my question was whether they were good post players not how they played against okc.

Radec

Basketball has changed. It's no longer about teams, fans or players. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by frauds, assholes and studio gangsters. Basketball, and its consumption of my time, has become a well-oiled machine. Basketball has changed. Salty ass fans cheer on salty ass players, run by salty ass ownership. HGH inside their bodies, enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Injury control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Basketball has changed. The age of deference has become the age of Lebron James. All in the name of entertaining assholes on the internet. And he who controls the refs, controls history. Basketball has changed. When the haters are under total control, weak basketball... becomes routine.

Motherfu.. that came out of nowhere!

the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Blackace

So pau and bynum are not good post players? Artest used to have good post game too and kobe in the last two games against okc was pushing his man all the way to the paint. And my question was whether they were good post players not how they played against okc.
Pau is not a great post player... He is not a horrible post player. But there really isn't a player in the NBA right now who can dominate a game through the post like Shaq, Pat, young TD, and so on..

giri

BTW, DMC's post play is why i think he's got the potential to be super awesome. Guy doesn't mind getting it down in the post.

Of course, the kings tend to throw him the ball somewhere out on the wing near the 3pt line. But thats a different discussion.

Durant is Mitch Richmond/Bernard King. At least Westbrook is fearless good or bad at doing what he does. Durant is a rich man's Granger at this point.

OKC lives and dies by Westbrook, not Durant.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Awww yeah, just caught up on DVR and I'm so proud of the Heat tonight! Proud of Lebron, you can tell how badly he wants it... he tried to fight through the pain as much as he can. Proud of Chalmers, he came through exactly when he should. Proud of everyone, they acted as a family.

Have to say I feel bad for Westbrook though, he was looking spectacular and you could see the realization of his fuck up on his face after that foul at the end.

Awww yeah, just caught up on DVR and I'm so proud of the Heat tonight! Proud of Lebron, you can tell how badly he wants it... he tried to fight through the pain as much as he can. Proud of Chalmers, he came through exactly when he should. Proud of everyone, they acted as a family.

Have to say I feel bad for Westbrook though, he was looking spectacular and you could see the realization of his fuck up on his face after that foul at the end.

Ditto. It feels so good to be doing pretty much everything the haters say we couldn't. Just one more.

yup...

Refs suck at every level. NBA refs are hands down better than any of the refs I saw in the NCAA tourney...Hardest (American) sport to ref

And I've been saying all along that the playoff teams in the east are underrated. Durant could get knocked out by the heat 4-1 with Westbrook and Harden while Carmelo got beat 4-1 with no help and faced greater defensive attention.

You guys didn't miss this right?

Hunter D you are amazing

Also, I hope LeBron is getting a massage on his legs or some shit permanently till the next game...this shit is far from over

Pau is not a great post player... He is not a horrible post player. But there really isn't a player in the NBA right now who can dominate a game through the post like Shaq, Pat, young TD, and so on..
5501823328_e1f090c5e5.jpg

too bad he isn't a great defender and is stuck on the pups...

probably the only old school post player in the NBA right now...

The officiating was terrible again, tonight, and one sided. Miami got the benefit of so many plays, it was really unfortunate.

That said, the Thunder lost because Harden shit his pants as he has all series. Can't lay blame on the refs in a 3 point game where Harden misses about 5 wide open jump shots and blows a big time layup. Period.

Brooks deserves some blame, too, by leaving Durant off Lebron way too long. harden guarding him is stupid. No surprise with Wade guarded less by Thabo he played better. It's also why chalmers got off. AND STOP PLAYING PERKINS HE IS SO TERRIBLE.

lol @ Thunder role players, though. Chalmers, Cole, battier, and James Jones has outplayed everyone not named Collison, Durant, and Westbrook on OKC. Just terrible. Remember that argument how OKC had a better supporting cast? Well, they ain't showing up right now compared to the Heat cast which was terrible until this series, inexplicably.

On another note, Lebron has turned the corner, in my eyes. Game 6 vs Boston was the game. Dude has been the best player for the Heat every game and has shown up every single night. Him working out of the post against Harden destroyed OKC. He nailed that clutch 3 at a pivotal point in the game while cramping.

I haven't read the thread, but I hope the detractors are giving Bron his props. I've said all along that I've just been waiting for him to get serious and now he has. If Miami got rid of Wade and had better/more compatible role players, the way Bron is now capable of consistently playing would make the Heat unbeatable.

I still wish Wade wouldn't win another ring, though. He still whines about every fucking call (and gets absurd calls his way). bron has completely stopped complaining since game 6 Boston.

Also, Westbrook was awesome tonight. I don't care about that bonehead play at the end (they were losing, anyway). If harden didn't shit his pants, we'd all be talking about how Westbrook carried his team to a victory tonight.

You guys didn't miss this right?

Hunter D you are amazing

Also, I hope LeBron is getting a massage on his legs or some shit permanently till the next game...this shit is far from over
But the west coast....
Heat only 3 point favorites for G5. Vegas knows whats up.

Yeah what were the odds before the series?

The officiating was terrible again, tonight, and one sided. Miami got the benefit of so many plays, it was really unfortunate.

Come on man.

We might as well call our forum NeoREF

Also if you think Wade doesn't give a fuck now do you know what he will become if the Heat win on Thursday?
I hope we win anyways

lol Westbrook goin Westbrook, Durant getting ignored on offense, and Harden not getting calls. This is the way OKC deserves to lose.

We might as well call our forum NeoREF

Yeah this thread has been kind of disappointing with the excuses and ref bitching running rampant as it appears LeBron will get his ring.

Top Bottom