• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

If the Heat close out this series in 5 games, are you gonna pull a close series shit? The Heat have been in control most of the series. Westbrook had a career game and the Thunder blew a 17 point lead.

Westbrook has been the media's whipping boy, but I noticed a lot of times in the 4th quarter he's wasting time trying to get Durant the ball. Durant comes off multiple screens, can't get himself open or gets pushed out. The shot clock runs down and Westbrook is forced to take a shot. Westbrook plays stupid, but he also play stupidly good. He gets criticized for Durant's weaknesses when Durant is the guy who can't handle the ball.

In the 4th Quarter, The Thunder had no assist. It was the Westbrook show. Durant was deferring to Westbrook believe it or not.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't think it's looking into anything too deeply. Lebron is limping around the court, why not attack him? It wasn't just that possession, either. If Durant was limping like that and guarding Lebron who do you think would be taking the shots for the Heat with a few minutes left in the game?
I agree that's what they should have done--what I'm taking issue with is how everything in this media era has to be about grand conclusions and deep inferences into the character and mental makeup of a team.

OKC showed plenty of mental fortitude to get to the Finals, and they're being outscored in the series by 5 total points. The #1 biggest reason Miami is up now is because they've gotten a complete team effort, and OKC hasn't.

marathonfool said:
If the Heat close out this series in 5 games, are you gonna pull a close series shit?
Calling a series closely-contested in spite of a 4-1 finish isn't being an apologist--it's being real. While the game count might not be close, if the Thunder lose by a few points on Thursday then it's fair to say that the series was a good contest.

I can freely admit that the series against Dallas and the Lakers were much closer than the final game count indicated--either series could have been very different if a few things were switched around.

I agree that's what they should have done--what I'm taking issue with is how everything in this media era has to be about grand conclusions and deep inferences into the character and mental makeup of a team.

OKC showed plenty of mental fortitude to get to the Finals, and they're being outscored in the series by 5 total points. The #1 biggest reason Miami is up now is because they've gotten a complete team effort, and OKC hasn't.
I agree with you man, I'm just frustrated. It sucks seeing a team this talented play so well and then completely fail to use the best of that talent to their advantage at the end of these games.

Here you go guys. From the NHL thread:
lebron-james5.jpg

Shots fired!

Vire

LeBron James on the court shooting with teammates during the light portion of practice open to the media. In other words, there will be no Cramp-Gate when it comes to Game 5. He seems fine enough.
9 minutes ago

Here you go guys. From the NHL thread:

Lebron could beat the shit out of any NHL player.

LeBron James on the court shooting with teammates during the light portion of practice open to the media. In other words, there will be no Cramp-Gate when it comes to Game 5. He seems fine enough.
9 minutes ago

Lebron could beat the shit out of any NHL player.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAA

I'm not even a big fan of the NHL but the NBA players are pussies compared to hockey players.

Congratulations on picking the largest player in the NHL.

The average height is 6'0, 200 pounds.

Height/weight don't mean shit if you meet someone that is tougher and a better fighter than you. Hockey players shit all over NBA players in terms of toughness. Kobe Bryant is one guy who can go toe to toe in todays league, at least. LeBron, Wade, and others? ha.

all they do is skate,in the nba you run a lot.

Not sure if serious. You ever skate? Try skating as fast, as long as they do, while being rammed by an opposing force like a fellow NHL player.

KingGondo

Banned
Best-GAF, please don't sink to the level of Ice Soccer-GAF.

I never thought I'd see the day when this thread is shitted-up by arguments about whether LeBron could beat up Hockey Player X.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Fighting in tons of equipment is a part of NHL cultre, the only thing Brons fights is male pattern baldness. And he's losing.
Lol.

Vire

Height/weight don't mean shit if you meet someone that is tougher and a better fighter than you. Hockey players shit all over NBA players in terms of toughness. Kobe Bryant is one guy who can go toe to toe in todays league, at least. LeBron, Wade, and others? ha.

Not sure if serious. You ever skate? Try skating as fast, as long as they do, while being rammed by an opposing force like a fellow NHL player.

That's ironic considering Lebron has missed less games than Kobe in the past ~10 years.

So much for toughness...

That's ironic considering Lebron has missed less games than Kobe in the past ~10 years.

So much for toughness...

Kobe played an entire season with a broken finger, knees drain, broken nose, and more.
LeBron doesn't let the world forget about a shoulder that hurts, gets carried off the court with some leg pain. Dwade gets rolled off the court in a wheel chair and wears stupid ass band aids like a cabbage patch kid.

:lol

No NBA player is going to beat the shit out of any moderately-sized NHL player. The NBA has turned into a touch-football league.

Also, I'll find the responses to my post last night in a moment.

Vire

Kobe played an entire season with a broken finger, knees drain, broken nose, and more.
LeBron doesn't let the world forget about a shoulder that hurts, gets carried off the court with some leg pain. Dwade gets rolled off the court in a wheel chair and wears stupid ass band aids like a cabbage patch kid.

OH MAN A BROKEN NOSE.

THE HUMANITY.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ha ha people think it's easy to skate with cramps.
I was going to say, I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about, finals game or not they can hurt like hell... it's dumb to argue about what sport would be easier to perform with a thigh cramp. Sitting down can be painful if it's a particularly bad one.

KingGondo

Banned
So Gondo, what do you want to see the Thunder change up gameplan-wise for Game 5?
The same things I've been wanting them to change since game 2:

- Perkins and Fisher should only play to relieve Collison/Ibaka and Westbrook (won't happen--Perk will start and Fisher will play over 20 mins.)

- Collison should be on the floor anytime Harden is--they work well in the PnR together and it should help get Harden going.

- Put an emphasis on driving to the rim and get to the FT line--this also leads to dunks for guys like Ibaka and Collison from dump-offs. Force the refs to put us at the line as we're accustomed to. We have to control the pace and style of play.

- Stop helping so damn much and sagging in on LeBron when he's surrounded by guys on the perimeter--the shooting of Battier, Cole and Chalmers is what has really daggered us in games 2-4. Force LeBron to make turnaround jumpers and tough drives to the rim.

- Move the ball on offense--make multiple passes each possession and shoot confidently.

- Sefolosha should guard LeBron and Harden should be on guys like Chalmers and Battier--hopefully expending less effort on D will help his offensive game get on track.

- Perkins and Fisher should only play to relieve Collison/Ibaka and Westbrook (won't happen--Perk will start and Fisher will play over 20 mins.)

- Collison should be on the floor anytime Harden is--they work well in the PnR together and it should help get Harden going.

- Put an emphasis on driving to the rim and get to the FT line--this also leads to dunks for guys like Ibaka and Collison from dump-offs. Force the refs to put us at the line as we're accustomed to. We have to control the pace and style of play.

- Stop helping so damn much and sagging in on LeBron when he's surrounded by guys on the perimeter--the shooting of Battier, Cole and Chalmers is what has really daggered us in games 2-4. Force LeBron to make turnaround jumpers and tough drives to the rim.

- Move the ball on offense--make multiple passes each possession and shoot confidently.

- Sefolosha should guard LeBron and Harden should be on guys like Chalmers and Battier--hopefully expending less effort on D will help his offensive game get on track.
Sounds good to me. I thought Collison played very well last night, he definitely needs to be playing more often than Perkins (and he should be starting, honestly). I think the Thunder have to find a way to cut down on all of the easy lay-ups they're giving up as well. Some of the shots Lebron has made at the end of his drives are basically not defendable but he's had quite a few uncontested drives to the rim where no one stepped in to help. I feel like Collison has been doing a better job of helping with this than Ibaka or Perk. I know it's easier said than done, though. And yeah, the perimeter guys definitely need to limit those open 3's. It's unlikely that James Jones, Battier, and Chalmers will all be hot in one game but the way things are going now it only needs to be 1 or 2 of them to really hurt.

Honestly I want to see Durant go on the attack more as well. He just has to find a way to do that without picking up a bunch of charges...

Vire

Hopefully Brooks doesn't read this post...

diehard

Fleer
:lol

No NBA player is going to beat the shit out of any moderately-sized NHL player. The NBA has turned into a touch-football league.

Also, I'll find the responses to my post last night in a moment.

Lebron could know nothing about fighting and still beat the shit out of your average NHL player.

I get what you're saying but a leg cramp is alot worse than leg pain. That shit will floor you quick. Cmon son.

Top Bottom