• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Fox318

Harden and Ibaka for Dwight.

Do it, Presti.

Joking.

I think.

44udV.png

KingGondo

Banned
I'm not gonna panic, because this team is still 3 wins away from a chip this year and all the guys are super-young, but the salary situation will be interesting.

The value of guys like Ibaka and Harden will never be higher. Same probably applies to Westbrook, although I think he's being paid fairly.

Fox318

I'm not gonna panic, because this team is still 3 wins away from a chip this year and all the guys are super-young, but the salary situation will be interesting.

The value of guys like Ibaka and Harden will never be higher. Same probably applies to Westbrook, although I think he's being paid fairly.

1 mill a year for his assist per game average.

Harden and Westbrook will keep getting better.

Not sure Ibaka will, I think he's satisfied with where he's at defensively (even though he shouldn't be) and it's going to be hard for him to improve offensively considering that he can't catch passes cleanly (and that's really, really hard to improve)

KingGondo

Banned
1 mill a year for his assist per game average.
He's not a traditional PG and never will be. But I think his playoff performance has done enough to shut up most of the critics.

He's easily good enough to be the second-best player on a championship team, and he's an extremely hard worker.

IWMTB19 said:
Not sure Ibaka will, I think he's satisfied with where he's at defensively (even though he shouldn't be) and it's going to be hard for him to improve offensively considering that he can't catch passes cleanly (and that's really, really hard to improve)
His hands ARE terrible, but I think the potential is there for him to develop a real back-to-the-basket offensive game.

This next year will be looked back on as the defining period in Sam Presti's tenure as GM.

Vire said:
That's a terrible trade for the Thunder...
Sarcasm, bro.

Of course there's a way.

It'll be an uphill battle for OKC, but they almost won both of the last two games in Miami too.

I give them a 25% chance, but if it goes back to OKC things will get cray.
They need to come out and act like they actually want it the entire 48 minutes. I swear, it was so depressing watching them play that hard and fast in the first quarter and then just drag the entire rest of the game. I know fatigue is a factor but there is no reason why they should look slower than the Heat down the stretch and it honestly felt like Westbrook vs. the world in the last quarter.

This has been a very frustrating series to watch for me and I'm not even an OKC fan (just pulling for them).

Davis mentions how he models some of his game off of Ibaka, but AD would have completely changed last nights game by himself. He's already better than Ibaka by quite a bit on D..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ibaka is pretty worthless imo

at times, i really think jeffries is a better defender

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
His second foul last night as just lololol on some McGee shit.

His fouls are just.... if he's going to give away all of his position each time a block opportunity arises, he has to at least be smart about it.

Things he does well, he does at a high cost (rebounding in particular) and everything else he does is pretty average at best.

What? lol.. Being stuck on the pups gives him a lot less exposure so I need to ask.. Have you seen him play much? Love is a jump shooter who has little back to the basket game. Dude changes games with his rebounding not his post game...
Just saw this....lol blackace

Its easy to get them mixed up in game but cmon man haha

This is going to happen isn't it? Fuck.

Yes sir. And I called it before the season began. I have had time to accept the inevitable. What I refuse to accept is watching Heat Age celebrate that a douchebag like Wade will get his second ring. I will be avoiding sports radio until this NBA season is long forgotten.

KingGondo

Banned
Yes sir. And I called it before the season began. I have had time to accept the inevitable. What I refuse to accept is watching Heat Age celebrate that a douchebag like Wade will get his second ring. I will be avoiding sports radio until this NBA season is long forgotten.
The Thunder won 4 straight against the Spurs and haven't lost 4 in a row since 2009.

Keep hope alive!

Bayless is performance art. He's playing a role. Stop taking his rants seriously and you can at least sit back and enjoy the mental gymnastics he hurdles through to justify the salary ESPN pays him to be a dick (between $500k-1,000K/year. seriously.)
Indeed

If people haven't caught on that he's paid to troll then I don't even know what to say...

The Thunder haven't developed a killer instinct yet. Durant needs to get angry.
That's exactly how I see it too. It seemed like he was too content to take a few dribbles around the perimeter and then just give up when he wasn't getting any space. He needs to attack more. Honestly I think part of the reason why he was acting so timid is because of how the Heat are always trying to draw the charge whenever he drives. Lebron has been finding open lanes all series long but Durant is basically never getting near the basket without initiating some contact.

But yeah, when Sef took that 3 with like, what, a minute left? Uuuuuuugh...

KingGondo

Banned
The Thunder haven't developed a killer instinct yet. Durant needs to get angry, he's too nice.
This kind of Skip Bayless armchair psychoanalysis is ridiculous.

Rather than arguing about "clutchness," "killer instinct," "who wants it more," etc., some of us should stop and wonder whether the Heat have simply managed to come out on top in 3 out of 4 close games because they've gotten a better overall team performance. Guys like Battier, Chalmers, Cole and Jones have stepped up while guys like Ibaka and Harden haven't.

The Thunder had enough of a "killer instinct" to go through the Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs in 4, 5, and 6 games. If Harden simply plays to his season averages, we're talking about the Heat lacking "killer instinct" rather than the Thunder.

Save that shit for First Take.

Rather than arguing about "clutchness," "killer instinct," "who wants it more," etc., some of us should stop and wonder whether the Heat have simply managed to come out on top in 3 out of 4 close games because they've gotten a better overall team performance. Guys like Battier, Chalmers, Cole and Jones have stepped up while guys like Ibaka and Harden haven't.

The Thunder had enough of a "killer instinct" to go through the Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs in 4, 5, and 6 games. If Harden simply plays to his season averages, we're talking about the Heat lacking "killer instinct" rather than the Thunder.

I agree that the term has a connotation that seems kind of undefinable but we're grounding it by talking about a specific scenario. Lebron is on the court limping around and instead of going after him OKC settles for a 3 from the corner with 1 minute left in the game. "Lack of killer instinct" sounds like a pretty simple way to sum that up to me. Saying that doesn't make anything you said any less true, though.

Regardless of who stepped up and who didn't the game was tied with only a few minutes to go. It was either team's game, you know? I don't care how stupid it sounds, the Heat look like they want these games more than the Thunder do, with the possible exception of Westbrook. Just look at how freaking insane Bosh got over 1 offensive rebound.

if harden stops being bitch made and man the fuck up, then it would be a different story.
harden is the X-factor that is going to make or break lebron's annunciation as GOAT by the media and his ascension to heaven.

This is going to happen isn't it? Fuck.

The saddest part is that the Bulls are actively tanking next season at this point because they don't really expect Rose to be ready until June.

Unless D-Will and Dwight join together on the nets the Heat literally won't have any competition in the playoffs until the finals next season.

Not 1...not 2..

GODDAMMIT

KingGondo

Banned
I agree that the term has a connotation that seems kind of undefinable but we're grounding it by talking about a specific scenario. Lebron is on the court limping around and instead of going after him OKC settles for a 3 from the corner with 1 minute left in the game. "Lack of killer instinct" sounds like a pretty simple way to sum that up to me. Saying that doesn't make anything you said any less true, though.
Let's call it what it was--a stupid, ill-advised, poorly-executed play. No need to read so deeply into it.

Let's call it what it was--a stupid, ill-advised, poorly-executed play. No need to read so deeply into it.
I don't think it's looking into anything too deeply. Lebron is limping around the court, why not attack him? It wasn't just that possession, either. If Durant was limping like that and guarding Lebron who do you think would be taking the shots for the Heat with a few minutes left in the game?

If the Heat close out this series in 5 games, are you gonna pull a close series shit? The Heat have been in control most of the series. Westbrook had a career game and the Thunder blew a 17 point lead.

Westbrook has been the media's whipping boy, but I noticed a lot of times in the 4th quarter he's wasting time trying to get Durant the ball. Durant comes off multiple screens, can't get himself open or gets pushed out. The shot clock runs down and Westbrook is forced to take a shot. Westbrook plays stupid, but he also play stupidly good. He gets criticized for Durant's weaknesses when Durant is the guy who can't handle the ball.

Top Bottom