• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

xbhaskarx

Do you guys think lebron will ever switch teams again?

lebron-liverpool-anfield-jacket.jpg

"I'm taking my talents to Merseyside"

Derrick01

Banned
To say the NHL interest is even remotely comparable to the current NBA is laughable.

NHL Stanley Cup Finals this year averaged 3 million viewers this year while the NBA Finals have averaged 11 million viewers.

So I have no idea why xbhaskarx had the bright idea to shit up this thread.

My friend told me the draft lottery outranked one of the stanley cup finals games. The lottery for a draft that has about 2 notable players.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hockey isn't boring, but I just can't get around the fact that they're skating. I don't like sports that I know I can't play, and I can't skate.

Ratings need to be separated from discussion of individual enjoyment of experiences. There's definitely overlap, but just because more people watch the NFL than NHL doesn't mean it's better, just like Call of Duty selling more than Vanquish doesn't really mean that much when discussing what about the games appeals to individuals.

Sanjuro

I follow all of the major four regularly. I'll play devil's advocate with the NBA, it's easily the most frustrating sport as a viewer or fan. I mean, just read the thread during the games. It's the ultimate masochistic experience.

Sanjuro

Hard to watch Hockey when it's on a no-name network, but I think the Finals were on NBC. Could be wrong.

Barely this year. For the Boston/Vancouver series it was mostly (if not all) on NBC. Most people aren't going to tune into the Outdoor Life Network anyway, and just having your sport on cable for the championship is just embarrassing.

Sanjuro

Can't wait for the MLS guys to come in here and argue how their sport is best sport instead of discussing it in their designated thread.

xbhaskarx is one of those guys as well. MLS really isn't bad in specific markets. Soccer is just a dead sport around here. The Revolution have one of the lowest attendances in the league if I'm not mistaken. My largest exposure to the sport was the Portugal team growing up, but never caught on.

Did that guy really try to come in here and brag about how much more MLB makes? Of course baseball sells alot of shit. I probably have bought 10 MLB hats this year and couldn't tell you five players from the teams.

Nesotenso

xbhaskarx is one of those guys as well. MLS really isn't bad in specific markets. Soccer is just a dead sport around here. The Revolution have one of the lowest attendances in the league if I'm not mistaken. My largest exposure to the sport was the Portugal team growing up, but never caught on.

I would love Soccer to take hold more in the US but it's gonna take some time. I am not aware of the complete situation but I don't think diehard Revolution fans are happy with the management. League needs more Soccer specific stadiums.

Derrick01

Banned
Did that guy really try to come in here and brag about how much more MLB makes? Of course baseball sells alot of shit. I probably have bought 10 MLB hats this year and couldn't tell you five players from the teams.

My favorite was the attendance stat, where he forgot to mention that baseball stadiums hold like 20-30 thousand more people. No shit that will be higher.

Yeah, the past as in these are numbers from 2011.

Also, what's most amusing about your post is that when NHL fans argued that NHL players were tougher than NBA players, the response was "lol NBA is more popular" including this guy who said NHL is "down there with baseball"...
So of course when I respond with actual facts, you have to change it to something else: "boring" and "stuck in the past"... well congrats on at least picking two things that are entirely subjective and cannot be quantified.
Well, except that the sports viewing public is CURRENTLY spending more of their SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT DOLLARS on MLB than NBA....

And now we have really come full circle: tougher --> more popular --> contact sport... but wait, isn't hockey much more of a contact sport than basketball? I mentioned NHL, quick go back to popularity now!
The real question is: whothefuckcares

Sanjuro

Why would you buy ten baseball caps if you don't follow the sport at all?

If LeBron gets this one, I think he's ahead of Oscar, West, Dirk, KG, Robinson, and Moses on the all-time list and should probably stop getting shit...I think he can be in the discussion with Wilt and Hakeem if he gets another MVP and ring (and he'd probably win that debate as more time passes...)

Canuck76

Banned
I follow all of the major four regularly. I'll play devil's advocate with the NBA, it's easily the most frustrating sport as a viewer or fan. I mean, just read the thread during the games. It's the ultimate masochistic experience.

I love all four except baseball, which is tolerable in-person.

All are creative in their own ways, and have the freedom for different play styles. Baseball is like freaking horse racing. Just running around a track after hitting a ball. I don't care how hard it is, it's boring as hell.

But screw those kids that randomly buy MLB hats.

I love all four except baseball, which is tolerable in-person.

All are creative in their own ways, and have the freedom for different play styles. Baseball is like freaking horse racing. Just running around a track after hitting a ball. I don't care how hard it is, it's boring as hell.

But screw those kids that randomly buy MLB hats.
football is more boring,a whistle blows literally every 2-3 seconds.

Canuck76

Banned
football is more boring,a whistle blows literally every 2-3 seconds.

True, but i feel like a huge part of football is prep work, i like seeing the replay and the offensive and defensive formation, and what was supposed to happen and what actually happened and why.

It's pretty fast and without the commentary I'm sure I'd miss a ton.

Derrick01

Banned
Hey guys, get out your ringless Lebron jokes now because it ends tomorrow.

I'm just glad he had that massive mental breakdown last year. It effectively ended any kind of serious comparisons to Jordan that would have been made years later. It'll still happen but no one will take them seriously at all now.

I'm just glad he had that massive mental breakdown last year. It effectively ended any kind of serious comparisons to Jordan that would have been made years later. It'll still happen but no one will take them seriously at all now.
Comparison never made sense in the first place...

Kobe - Jordan comparison? Makes sense. LeBron - Jordan? Not so much

Canuck76

Banned

Jordan only had a sick game. He felt bad.

James had a cramp game. Physically unable to play. The doctors said it wasn't possible. James himself didn't believe.

It was the champion inside of him that forced him to continue

Top Bottom