• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

xbhaskarx

My favorite was the attendance stat, where he forgot to mention that baseball stadiums hold like 20-30 thousand more people. No shit that will be higher.

And they play twice as many games in MLB, don't forget that.
Do you not understand how capitalism works? The size of sports stadiums is determined by supply and demand, there is no "must be this big" rule. If only 17,000 people attended the average baseball game, ballparks would be 17-20k. Ballparks are smaller in some places, like the minor leagues where attendance is 5-7k on average. By the way that (International League, Pacific Coast League, Texas League, Eastern League, Mexico) is about the same as the average attendance for the top level basketball (and hockey) leagues in the rest of the world (Spain, Philippines, Euroleague, half a dozen hockey leagues)... but that's only because those stadiums only hold 6k right, if they built 60k basketball arenas surely they would be filled to capacity according to your logic.

Edit: And it's not like NBA games are all sellouts with no empty seats to be found, indicating that the demand is far greater (yet NBA teams refuse to build larger arenas to accommodate more people because they hate money)... there are plenty of articles out there on the NBA's inflated attendance figures.

And they play twice as many games in MLB, don't forget that.
Do you not understand how capitalism works? The size of sports stadiums is determined by supply and demand, there is no "must be this big" rule. If only 17,000 people attended the average baseball game, ballparks would be 17-20k. Ballparks are smaller in some places, like the minor leagues where attendance is 5-7k on average. By the way that (International League, Pacific Coast League, Texas League, Eastern League, Mexico) is about the same as the average attendance for the top level basketball (and hockey) leagues in the rest of the world (Spain, Philippines, Euroleague, half a dozen hockey leagues)... but that's only because those stadiums only hold 6k right, if they built 60k basketball arenas surely they would be filled to capacity according to your logic.

Why are you still going on? What is there to gain by continuing to derail this thread?

Another question, how many NBA posters went to the MLB thread to spout off like you?

Last time I got involved with Cloving's reindeer games over in gaming, I got banned. Never again. I'll let the cesspool just be my news source.

Nobody ever questioned how much money baseball made. I questioned how can people stand to watch such a slow paced, unexciting, unathletic "sport" without ripping their eyeballs out.

Last time I got involved with Cloving's reindeer games over in gaming, I got banned. Never again. I'll let the cesspool just be my news source.

Same here. Never post in one of his "Apples gonna take over the world " threads.

I've honestly always been perplexed at how baseball made money. Usually I see a whole lot of empty seats in that stands, and at least in Tampa, the Rays would virtually pay you to watch them play.

xbhaskarx

Nobody ever questioned how much money baseball made. I questioned how can people stand to watch such a slow paced, unexciting, unathletic "sport" without ripping their eyeballs out.

For two pages people were bashing the NHL as an unpopular league that almost no one cares about. You said it was down there with baseball. The fact is baseball is far bigger by almost every metric, and the NBA is far closer to the NHL than it is to MLB.
If you can't see the connection between money (revenue, profit, franchise value) attendance (average and total) and overall popularity, I don't know what to tell you... like I said originally, there is also how much time Skip Bayless spends talking about various sports on ESPN, maybe that is your preferred metric...

I'm responding to his comment.
I'm responding here because it was made here.

You're responding to an off topic comment made because of your off topic rant that was removed by you for good reason, it was completely your doing and you're continuing to do it. No xbhasharx, no MLB talk in the NBA thread.

It's pretty clear that you're doing exactly what has been asked not to be done directly from a moderator.

If you wanna talk baseball, there's a thread for that. Don't make everyone else have to suffer the loss of this thread.

For two pages people were bashing the NHL as an unpopular league that almost no one cares about. You said it was down there with baseball. The fact is baseball is far bigger by almost every metric, and the NBA is far closer to the NHL than it is to MLB.

I was talking about how boring it is. At least in Hockey you see a
fake
fight every now and then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't say I minded much about Bill Simmons' latest piece, ostensibly about Westbrook. Here's his assessment of the level LeBron has reached via his Game 6 in the Celtics series:
There comes a moment when you say, "Oh, shit, we're all in trouble now," and then you hold on for the ride.

xbhaskarx

I've honestly always been perplexed at how baseball made money. Usually I see a whole lot of empty seats in that stands, and at least in Tampa, the Rays would virtually pay you to watch them play.

Tampa Bay averages almost 20k per game. That's 28th among MLB teams, but it would be #5 in the NBA, only a dozen or so per game below... the Miami Heat. 81 home games vs 41.
Do you only watch the top / most popular NBA teams? Because there are plenty of half empty arenas. Turn on a Hawks, Hornets, Bobcats, Bucks, Kings, Pistons, Pacers, or Nets home game sometime when they're not playing the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Thunder, Knicks, or Bulls.

You're responding to an off topic comment made because of your off topic rant that was removed by you for good reason, it was completely your doing and you're continuing to do it. No xbhasharx, no MLB talk in the NBA thread.

It's pretty clear that you're doing exactly what has been asked not to be done directly from a moderator.

If you wanna talk baseball, there's a thread for that. Don't make everyone else have to suffer the loss of this thread.
Tampa Bay averages almost 20k per game. That's 28th among MLB teams, but it would be #5 in the NBA, only a dozen or so per game below... the Miami Heat. 81 home games vs 41.
Do you only watch the top / most popular NBA teams? Because there are plenty of half empty arenas. Turn on a Hawks, Hornets, Bobcats, Bucks, Kings, Pistons, Pacers, or Nets home game sometime when they're not playing the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Thunder, Knicks, or Bulls.

14sntcy.gif

xhabhawreawrewhogivesafuck writing a thesis on baseball's popularity because one poster makes a random and possibly incorrect comment about it in an NBA thread is pretty inane. I guess he'd be completely fine with people in this thread combing the MLB-age for any wrong opinions about the NBA and correcting them.

I am convinced the Heat are losing games 5 and 6 but will win game 7 because the basketball gods want to fuck with us one last time

Cipherr

The Thunder are a great collection of talent, no doubt. But they're not a great team.

Fuck outta here. Any team that played the Spurs like they did is a great team. And thats just the tip of the iceberg for OKC. They have a GREAT team. Its a young team, but its a great team. That shits not up for discussion.

Shit aint right man. This revisionist horseshit. The thunder played fantastic team ball against the Mavs and the Spurs and others during the regular season. They don't cease to be a great team just because they are down 3-1 to Miami in the finals. Even 'GREAT' teams have flaws. Would be great if they pulled the series close or at least took game 5 to remind people of that.

SamuraiX-

So he conveniently ignored russel's historically great playoff performance eh? lol Actually, the only time he mentions him he points out that he traveled on one play or he got beat by lebron lol

To be fair, James Harden was the story of Game 4 over anyone.

If he actually showed up to the arena on that day and played even half as bitchmade as he did, series would be 2-2 right now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So he conveniently ignored russel's historically great playoff performance eh? lol Actually, the only time he mentions him he points out that he traveled on one play or he got beat by lebron lol

what the fuck

who?

bill russel, right?

Top Bottom