• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
it should only be 2 -3 -2 series when you have a more than a 2 hour time difference. other than that it should be like every other 7 game series. that 2-3-2 makes sense if its like (wait for it) NY vs LA

oh and congrats Miami Fans.. I am happy for Bron and Bosh. and old man howard

pretty sure this has been posted but yolo

2XSysYhv

nvm i have been beaten

he looks likes a natural at it.
he's enjoying it more than he should be.

Congrats to REAL Heat-age like Ph33nix.

1. Lebron was amazing all series and playoffs. He figured it out in game 6 versus Boston. I said it during (or maybe right after) that game that I've never seen Lebron that focused, before. And it never stopped. He is finally becoming the player he is supposed to be. I hope with 1 title now that he will actually reach his potential.

2. I was surprised to hear Lebron talk about how the media did get to him last season and how he was playing with hate and not love. Perhaps he truly was humbled in that embarrassing loss.

3. Durant looked really mad. I had that look after game 6 vs Boston a few years ago. LOVE IT. Kid is going to be better next season, I am certain of it. He was great in the Finals too. I love seeing when players that great care that much about losing.

4. Brooks coached poorly, which usually doesn't matter, but he played Perk way too much and overreacted to playing Durant off Lebron and Harden on Lebron (which was dumb). And harden blew chunks in this series. I don't know what to make of him. The SG spot is fucked going forward in the NBA.

5. I really can't recall an NBA Finals were a team's role players played like complete ass all season and playoffs long and then flipped a switch in the Finals. One player sure, but so many different ones. Mike Miller, just wow. Battier was ass all season, final 7 games comes alive. Really, between the game 3 FT percentages and this, an unbelievable run of good fortune.

Also, lockout titles still only worth 1/2! It's in the fine print.

Fjordson

Man...listening back...Stu Scott was really trying to bring down the mood.

"Lebron, a lot of people started to hate you after you left Cleveland. What's the nastiest thing you've read about yourself??"

"Dwyane, how does it feel to be not as good as Lebron James??"

"Chris, how does it feel to be the smallest part of the Big 3???"

I feel the NBA needs to reconsider the finals format. We were robbed of at least a 6 game series because of the 2-3-2. Pistons and Heat (twice) have now won all 3 at home the last 8 years to take the title.

It's just that in the 2-3-2 format, if the team with home court advantage actually is the weaker team, then the series format becomes a big disadvantage, especially if they drop one of the first two games.

In a 2-2-1-1 format, you can recover from an early loss because you're never more than a game or 2 from returning home.

I agree that if the teams aren't evenly matched, then the 2-3-2 format doesn't really encourage a competitive series.

Man...listening back...Stu Scott was really trying to bring down the mood.

"Lebron, a lot of people started to hate you after you left Cleveland. What's the nastiest thing you've read about yourself??"

"Dwyane, how does it feel to be not as good as Lebron James??"

"Chris, how does it feel to be the smallest part of the Big 3???"

Fucking awful. ESPN's coverage of the NBA is an egregious offense to media coverage. NBC and TNT save us.

2-3-2 has always been dumb. Game 5 should be to the team with HCA. Stealing one of the 1st two becomes a huge advantage in the finals. Similarly, losing the 1st 2 puts one in an almost impossible hole.

It ai't the 80s anymore. 2-3-2 serves no purpose. I've long wished it gone.

NBA Champion (2012)
NBA Finals MVP (2012)
3× NBA Most Valuable Player (2009–2010, 2012)
8× NBA All-Star (2005–2012)
NBA scoring champion (2008)
6× All-NBA First Team (2006, 2008–2012)
2× All-NBA Second Team (2005, 2007)
4× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2009–2012)

23:6 KJV

Banned
What a great day.

Pretty amazing start to this decade in terms of finals, they've all been very entertaining in their own way.

James' playoff run here was kind of otherworldly. Glad I was able to watch it to be honest, talk about basketball played the right way.

Fisher not flopping on the flagrant that was called on him was the underrated moment of the day, makes his career of egregious flopping even funnier. Hell of a thing to stand up to Lebron James in full flight.

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW that was so amazing to witness (yes I did that on purpose) in person. The AAA was one big party from the middle of the third on. I have never heard it so loud, the place was on fire, my voice is almost gone just amazing.

What a game by this TEAM. This is by far the best team game I have EVER seen this Heat team play, this is exactly what we wanted from this team from the start. 6 players in double figures, never been done before in the finals. A bench player, MIKE FUCKING MILLER scoring the most points off the bench in finals history. Everyone played their roles perfectly. THAT DEFENSE, no one was going to beat this team this year!!!!

And Lebron, a triple double, I didnt even notice until I heard it on the radio, he does it so effortlessly. Wade played excellent just excellent. Bosh was super aggressive toward the paint as we need him to be. The rest of the guys just wow, never imagined them contributing so much.

As for OKC fans you have an amazing young team, they will be back, we will probably see you again in the finals.

As great as this is I still have that feeling like damn this could have been number 2. Oh well this is just the start of many I think.

Driving home was a blast, everyone out in the streets celebrating, people honking their horns, pots and pans! One thing about this city I love is that we dont act like a bunch of morons destroying the city, we celebrate with love. Its a party, everyone getting along, people dancing, girls flashing, people just having a good time. Wish I could be out there but I really need to get to bed as I work tomorrow.

HEAT-AGE WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonm1010

Banned
LeBron winning was inevitable, which is why it was so fun rooting against him. Durant? Not even close. He's not a complete player. I don't think he'll be the best player on a title team. We'll see. At least he's fun to watch.
Huh?

He's an Offensive beast that adds something every season. Defense is teachable and I think he will grow into being a better distributor. Plus he's only 23.

I think durant's biggest problem is he plays next to a guy that takes him out of the flow of the offense for large stretches of the game because that guy is an asshole chucker who failed to learn how to distribute in his younger years and thinks he's the star of the team. Not to mention he plays for a head coach that encourages that shit.

Been bar hopping in the MIA for the better part of the evening. I've lurked this thread for the entirety of the season after watching this team play like a bunch of idiots last season. It was a beautiful thing to watch this team finally come together this postseason. Mad props to cerrius, pimpwerx, and ph33nix for being the bestest heat fans in nbagaf. Let's party till we retardy, guys!

DJ88

Oh my god, finished celebrating downtown, one of the best days of my life. Such a perfect way to end the LeBron drama, just so god damn amazing. Watched it here with about 9 other people and it was so great to see after what happened last year. All the pain from last year really needed to happen to toughen up this team and even though it sucked so hard for me to go through, I honestly wouldn't have it any other way than James getting the MVP this year, scoring a triple double against an amazing team in the Oklahoma City Thunder.

I just want to say that Gondo was an amazing Thunder fan, so much better than the shit during the New York, Pacers, and Boston series. So much respect to him and don't worry man you guys have so many good years ahead, and when you finally win, it will be all the sweeter.

Tomorrow will be a great day, we did it Heat-Age, congratulations James, you can finally be at peace!!

TylerD

Guys... USA USA USA. Look forward to cheering KD, Russ and the rest of team USA on in the Olympics.

Durant was pure class in the press conference.

Jordan was a religion in when he played.

He probably was but 72 million is a kind of a crazy claim. Those are better numbers than when the yankees play in the world series.

In fact, the ratings for the NBA finals during Jordan’s title runs in the years before retiring from the Bulls in 1993 and 1998 turned in the highest audience for an NBA title series at 27.21 million and 29.04 million viewers respectively.

(Note: the 1979 NCAA finals featuring Johnson and Bird is the still to this day the highest rated televised basketball game of all time.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/251167-basketball-hall-of-fame-class-of-2009

Someone should repost pimpwrex's fanboy post from right after The Decision. It's finally relevant.
It's the OP of the 2011 season, if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy to find.

DJ88, you should've gone to La Caretta on bird road. Celebrations don't get more Miami than that place. That's where I celebrated the 2006 championship :)

Just watched Durant's presser. Classiest superstar in the league. How can anyone root against him? I wish he could be a Laker so badly. :(

Hey Shadow:

THE CHICAGO BULLS victory that clinched the NBA championship was the highest-rated pro basketball game ever broadcast.

Sunday's sixth and final game in the series with the Utah Jazz had a 22.3 rating and 38 share, with NBC estimating that 72 million people watched all or part of it. The previous top-rated NBA broadcast was the seventh game of the finals between the Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers in 1988.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/e/a/1998/06/17/STYLE1021.dtl#ixzz1yV97UoH5

Your numbers were for the series average, not individual game total.

Then what the hell was that Magic-Bird NCAA game? 100 mil??

Who knows. You gotta remember, households and people are also different. In an event like the NBA Finals, you're going to imagine even spouses and/or kids, etc who don't normally watch actually watching. So what is normally 1 in the 2nd round becomes 2 in the closeout game. Etc.

And people watch for a bit and change or only watch the ending, etc. out of 300 million people, I don't think it's absurd that 70 million watched MJs final game in some part live in the NBA Finals. It's only 1 in 4 people. Taking out kids under 8, still 1 in 3 or higher. I think it was that big.

I feel sorry for KD after watching the video of him crying but last year Bosh was mocked for doing the same thing.

I don't think I mocked Bosh for it. I mocked him for being sent up to the podium alone before Lebron and Wade, though. Like fodder.

Nash crying after 2010 was the thing that kind of turned me on his side. I think it's cool when players cry after losing in these situations. shows me they care about winning and losing. Sports is emotional.

Hell, as a fan there's been moments...

WTF Pimp is back!?

lol @ weatherman.

KingJ2002

Just watched Durant's presser. Classiest superstar in the league. How can anyone root against him? I wish he could be a Laker so badly. :(

Hey Shadow:

Your numbers were for the series average, not individual game total.

i'm sure jim buss is watching too.

we need him to keep losing in OKC... soon... when kobe is on his way out... he'll embrace the purple and gold... and his destiny will be fulfilled.

muahahahahahahahaha (im drunk right now)

I don't think I mocked Bosh for it. I mocked him for being sent up to the podium alone before Lebron and Wade, though. Like fodder.

Nash crying after 2010 was the thing that kind of turned me on his side. I think it's cool when players cry after losing in these situations. shows me they care about winning and losing. Sports is emotional.

Hell, as a fan there's been moments...

I agree, I have more respect for a man who has no qualms showing his emotion.

Btw I wasn't saying you were one of them to mock Bosh.

Top Bottom