• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Smokey

Like I said, I don't hate LeBron, and he hasn't done shit this year to deserve any derision. He's playing the best ball of his career and has showed up in the playoffs.

The bottom line is that the way people view LeBron is extremely complex, and it's cumulative based on years of insanely intense media coverage. He brought it on himself with shit like the "Worldwide Icon" comment, but he didn't realize what he was getting himself into IMO--because he never took into account the possibility that he might not be the most successful player ever, and that the media adulation would mutate into constant criticism.

What pisses me off is that if OKC wins the chip, all the coverage will be about how LeBron choked and DIDN'T win it, rather than how OKC and Durant did.

To expand on what you're saying, alot of it also comes from the way he acted with the Cavs. Doing stupid dances, taking pictures, showing up opponents. A lot of this has been building for awhile and it just blew up with the Decision and that rally.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
He says he's fine, he looks fine, and he's playing a bunch of minutes. He just thinks he's Dirk now. And, regardless of the reason, like I said, he played like crap.

He doesn't look fine...

Hopefully they go back to see tape to realize that the offense AND defense were better when they posted up more

We also try to feed the post way too early, 50% of the time either the entry pass sucks or the player catching it is too far from the basket

If I had to blame the loss on one thing, it would be turnovers from lazy passes and shit. OKC came out playing weak ass D and the heat kind of got comfortable. They really did turn it up and I give them credit but in the Half court they weren't particularly killing us if it wasn't a broken down play or second chance shot or something.

Every game has its own face though so I won't read to much into it. I just pray they don't keep making jumpers above an average pace.

giga

AvPVsYbCEAAupln.jpg

Holyyyy fuckkkk lmao.

What I don't understand why so many people rush to say the criticism of LeBron is unfair. It's not like people just decided to hate the best player in the world. It's not like you be a dick to people in once place: Cleveland then go to another place and think no one will care.

bionic77

I think Lebron gets hated for the following reasons:

All that being said, I feel for the guy at the end of the day. And in some instances, I don't.
Lebron gets hate because of the fake effort to anoint him as the greatest basketball player of all time or put him in the discussion without him winning anything. If ESPN and the other media whores did not blow him so much he wouldn't get that much hate.

At the end of the day he is a really athletic guy who can't shoot a jumper. That hasn't changed in the 8 years he has been in the league and it was only this season that he has even tried to post up. A lot of people see exactly that and get angry when people try to artificially inflate Lebron into something he isn't.

The Thunder are the worst matchup for the Heat. I think the Heat could have beaten the Spurs (they could have lost as well, but that is just a better matchup for them). I think Durant is better than Lebron and the Thunder are arguably more athletic than the Heat. If they can keep their shit together it is hard for me to see this version of the Heat beating them. Might be time to blow up the team if they don't get it done this year.

huh?
LBJ cannot defend the five and most fours.. Dude is awesome but inflating his abilities makes people even more irrational...

No he brought it on himself by dancing like an asshole on the sidelines, taking fake pictures before games and holding an ESPN special about his free agency...

I said give you quality minutes. Which he can. Its not inflating a damn thing, he has proven this two years he's been with the heat alone.

And your second point is bull, people were hating him way before that. Thats revisionist at its finest.

ToxicAdam

Fan is short for fanatic.. Logically doesnt really enter the picture too often.

When I am talking about hardcore fans, I'm talking about the ones who watch it for the game itself. Not watching only when "their team" is on.

And carrying the burden of attention is mostly brought by himself..

I don't think he requested ESPN to televise his high school games and be a nightly part of Sportscenter before he graduated.

You can also locally knock the many weaknesses in his game and antics without being a hater, and while respecting his talents..

Yes, you can. But there's a point for some people where they become a parody or a tragic figure with their criticism.

But trust me, I get it. It's so much more FUN to hate on Lebron than cheer for him. I've been on both sides of the fence.

Blackace

I said give you quality minutes. Which he can. Its not inflating a damn thing, he has proven this two years he's been with the heat alone.

And your second point is bull, people were hating him way before that. Thats revisionist at its finest.
He was dancing and acting a fool from the get.. Nothing revisionst about it..

He can not give you quality mins against a true four or five... He has not proven anything of the such.. Being to cover a center on a pick and slip is not quality mins at center.l

Blackace

Okay, fine, he's playing very hurt and needs to stay at the 3 point line just to survive! Then that's bad coaching on Spo to play a PF who needs to play like a SG just to stay on the floor.

Ohhhkay...

hoos30

Again, correct me if I'm wrong (really just starting to pick up on the nuances of the game) but, it seemed as if the Thunder were attempting to be reserved in their aggression. Specifically when Lebron would barrel down the lane. I've watched the entire playoffs for the most part, and teams try to defend it, and it's pointless. He's gonna make it 8/10 because nobody can or is willing to foul him hard AND he's going to get the "And1".

What I saw last night were the Thunder letting him get his 2 points and basically daring anyone else to help him. And betting on Lebron getting tired. During the Heat/Celtics series, so many Boston players had to reign back in the 4th qtr because they were about to foul out. If memory serves me correctly, the Thunder didn't run into that situation. IMO, it's a smart tactic.

It's not a strategy, Durant is just not into playing defense. You can't beat anyone by giving up 90% shots. Sepholosha made LeBron work at least...KD just waved at him as he blew past.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Probably the dancing, showing up opponents not with his play, things like that.

That really is when my dislike for him started, to be honest. The stupid dancing, his "rituals", ESPN blowing him every 3 seconds, and then him not winning shit.

bionic77

What has Lebron done to make the hardcore hate him?
The hardcore NBA player hate everything. I think most of those guys are just bitter motherfuckers.

For the average fan though the reason they hate Lebron is either the decision or the hype and no rings. I mean the hype on ESPN (if you watch it) for him is borderline obscene.

Lebron gets hate because of the fake effort to anoint him as the greatest basketball player of all time or put him in the discussion without him winning anything. If ESPN and the other media whores did not blow him so much he wouldn't get that much hate.

At the end of the day he is a really athletic guy who can't shoot a jumper. That hasn't changed in the 8 years he has been in the league and it was only this season that he has even tried to post up. A lot of people see exactly that and get angry when people try to artificially inflate Lebron into something he isn't.

The Thunder are the worst matchup for the Heat. I think the Heat could have beaten the Spurs (they could have lost as well, but that is just a better matchup for them). I think Durant is better than Lebron and the Thunder are arguably more athletic than the Heat. If they can keep their shit together it is hard for me to see this version of the Heat beating them. Might be time to blow up the team if they don't get it done this year.

Thats reaching quite a bit. His mid-range stats are near the top of the league. He's not a great shooter but he can go on one of the fiercest hot streaks in the league. I dare any team to keep giving him rondo looks.

Also the Thunder are not a bad matchup at all. They have no competent bigs and a streaky ass low iq pg.

Blackace

When I am talking about hardcore fans, I'm talking about the ones who watch it for the game itself. Not watching only when "their team" is on.

Most fans have a team.. You can love the game and have a team.. And it is natural to dislike the best team or best player because they make it hard for your team to win..

bionic77

Thats reaching quite a bit. His mid-range stats are near the top of the league. He's not a great shooter but he can go on one of the fiercest hot streaks in the league. I dare any team to keep giving him rondo looks.

Also the Thunder are not a bad matchup at all. They have no competent bigs and a streaky ass low iq pg.
It isn't a reach at all to say Lebron can't shoot. Everyone knows that is how to guard him. Every team in the league would give him the midrange jumper and 3 all day long (see Dallas series from last year). If he makes it you can live with that, what you don't want to do is let him penetrate at will.

The Thunder has a very good pg, streaky or not and the Heat have no one who can cover him. Lebron and Durant is a wash. With Wade and Bosh being gimpy Harden looks like a better 3rd option and the rest of the Thunder and their bench are just better players than most of what Miami has to offer. It is a bad matchup and if the Heat don't beat them this year I see them repeating.

Ramblin

Banned
Not playing for their team?

There's a lot of players I should hate being a lowly raptors fan, he's not even at the top of the list. I never understood the hate for the decision, he took all the interest in him and gave six million dollars to charity. How can you hate a guy for this?

this thread came pretty close to being very tame tonight as far as complaining goes but puddles has taken his whining to another level

also chosen one I am not sure why you think people who don't think lebron is getting help are blind. if you took the name off wade's jersey tonight he sure as hell doesn't look like even a third option right now. don't call it heat culture when we are irritated at him....lbj gets all the shit in the world yet wade has said himself "naaaah imma let lebron shoulder more load cause it's better". lebron would get ripped so hard with that

i don't think wade is totally broken yet but he has done a really shitty job with his opportunities. he also needs to be more decisive. all the shot fakes and passes or passing while in the air was some rookie shit....also this team needs more deterrence at the rim, bosh was a free lane in the middle last game....he just isnt a rim stopper

and yes accountability is a huge problem. lebron needs to be ripping wade like kobe and gasol....but he will never say a singleword to him

THIS THIS THIS.

Blackace

There's a lot of players I should hate being a lowly raptors fan, he's not even at the top of the list. I never understood the hate for the decision, he took all the interest in him and gave six million dollars to charity. How can you hate a guy for this?

The decision was a farce and a tax write off.. Don't get me wrong it's awesome that charity got that money but I really it was ALL about him.. Look at me Look at me

Smokey

It's the way he went about it..

He was dancing and acting a fool from the get.. Nothing revisionst about it..

He can not give you quality mins against a true four or five... He has not proven anything of the such.. Being to cover a center on a pick and slip is not quality mins at center.l

Thats a blatant lie. The dancing didn't start till he was contending, and the absolute earliest you could say that was 08.

And KG is one of the truest centers left in the game and he gave great stretches of minutes on him when he was literally the best option available. I would call West a legit 4 too and he did ok on him too, for various stretches. And thats just in this post season. Just because you refuse to admit it doesn't make it true.

ToxicAdam

I'm not defending the production known as the decision. As it was universally panned as horrible and he even (much) later admitted it himself.

But, that's really about the only major mistake Lebron has made. He's not Kevin Durant, but he's also NOT Gilbert Arenas, Mike Tyson or numerous other child stars in Hollywood. That's the background from which he came. Single, working mother ... too much fame, too early. That's the recipe for a disasterous, selfish life, but he has navigated through it all pretty well. Much better than I would have done.

Thats a blatant lie. The dancing didn't start till he was contending, and the absolute earliest you could say that was 08.

And KG is one of the truest centers left in the game and he gave great stretches of minutes on him when he was literally the best option available. I would call West a legit 4 too and he did ok on him too, for various stretches. And thats just in this post season. Just because you refuse to admit it doesn't make it true.

KG isn't a true center man.

Blackace

Nope he was doing his great pregame ritual and starting getting more and more cocky leading to antics such as his dancing.. Wasn't much hate when he was a rookie and starting get worse as his actions did..

KG a true center? Since when?

AirBrian

2007 G1: 14pts 4-16 4-4FT 7Reb 4Ast 6TO
2007 G2: 25pts 9-21 7-11FT 7Reb 6Ast 6TO
2007 G3: 25pts 9-23 7-8FT 8Reb 7Ast 5TO
2007 G4: 24pts 10-30 2-6FT 6Reb 10Ast 6TO

2011 G1: 24pts 9-16 2-2FT 9Reb 5Ast 1TO
2011 G2: 20pts 8-15 2-4FT 8Reb 4Ast 5TO
2011 G3: 17pts 6-17 4-4FT 3Reb 9Ast 4TO
2011 G4: 8pts 3-11 2-4FT 9Reb 7Ast 4TO
2011 G5: 17pts 8-19 1-2FT 10Reb 10Ast 4TO
2011 G6: 21pts 9-15 1-4FT 4Reb 6Ast 6TO

2012 G1: 30pts 11-24 7-9FT 9Reb 4ast 4TO

LBJ had his best Finals game yet, but was out-staged by Durant.

2012 G1: 36pts 12-20 8-9FT 8Reb 4Ast 2TO

Obviously a lot of hate comes from how he's acted over the years without winning much. But when you look at his Finals performances, nothing screams out as simply amazing. Too many times, especially in the 4th, he's not demanding for the ball, not screaming for the ball, not being aggressive and driving to the basket. It's almost like he's too afraid to lose, rather than be a risk-taker and go for the win.

But Game 1 should fall more on Wade's all-around bad game more than LBJ not being aggressive enough (again) in the 4th. Was this the first time LBJ outscored Wade in the Finals?

Talon

Lebron doesn't have that killer instinct, he just doesn't. It's not something U can learn or obtain, it's who you are and what your experiences make you. I know nothing about this man... But I'd be willing to bet that Lebron didn't play much "street ball". And by that, I mean ball where there's a chance that you're going to defend yourself physically. LOL. Ball where no matter how big/strong you are, someone is going to test you, there aren't any refs and you have to suck it up. That's where that burning desire to annihilate your opponent comes from. Lebron is such an amazing physical talent that he prolly was in organized b-ball from the get-go and didn't have those experiences.
This might be the dumbest post in the history of NBA-GAF.

Ramblin

Banned
The decision was a farce and a tax write off.. Don't get me wrong it's awesome that charity got that money but I really it was ALL about him.. Look at me Look at me

It's the way he went about it..

He's grown up in a crazy environment and I'm not going to judge him for it. He's not a dirty player, maybe he flops, whines and lobbies too much, but he's not even the worst for that on his own team.

bionic77

One thing I will say in favor of LBJ. He is not as great as he is hyped to be but he is also less of a douche than any of the starters of the 2008 Celtics.

At this point though I don't know why more people don't acknowledge that Durant is the best player in the league and likely to stay that way for years to come. His performance in the playoffs so far has been ridiculous. The Thunder are going to be worthy champions.

Blackace

He's grown up in a crazy environment and I'm not going to judge him for it. He's not a dirty player, maybe he flops, whines and lobbies too much, but he's not even the worst for that on his own team.
And has nothing to do with the decision

this thread came pretty close to being very tame tonight as far as complaining goes but puddles has taken his whining to another level

also chosen one I am not sure why you think people who don't think lebron is getting help are blind. if you took the name off wade's jersey tonight he sure as hell doesn't look like even a third option right now. don't call it heat culture when we are irritated at him....lbj gets all the shit in the world yet wade has said himself "naaaah imma let lebron shoulder more load cause it's better". lebron would get ripped so hard with that

i don't think wade is totally broken yet but he has done a really shitty job with his opportunities. he also needs to be more decisive. all the shot fakes and passes or passing while in the air was some rookie shit....also this team needs more deterrence at the rim, bosh was a free lane in the middle last game....he just isnt a rim stopper

and yes accountability is a huge problem. lebron needs to be ripping wade like kobe and gasol....but he will never say a singleword to him

Yup it will never happen, he cares to much about being liked. Kobe could give a damn if his whole team loathed him(they likely do) if someone is dropping the ball he is going to make their life hell. That's why even though its ultimately a good thing for Wade to defer the ball and team to Lebron I don't believe he can truly be a leader. He has the talent in spades but does he have the fortitude? I'm not sure.

One thing I will say in favor of LBJ. He is not as great as he is hyped to be but he is also less of a douche than any of the starters of the 2008 Celtics.

At this point though I don't know why more people don't acknowledge that Durant is the best player in the league and likely to stay that way for years to come. His performance in the playoffs so far has been ridiculous. The Thunder are going to be worthy champions.

Ray%20Allen%20Smiling.jpg
What?

Here's a question: would you rather be a first option throughout your career (LeBron, Barkley, Malone, Ewing) and never win a ring OR be a third option type of player and win a ring?

I'm not defending the production known as the decision. As it was universally panned as horrible and he even (much) later admitted it himself.

But, that's really about the only major mistake Lebron has made. He's not Kevin Durant, but he's also NOT Gilbert Arenas, Mike Tyson or numerous other child stars in Hollywood. That's the background from which he came. Single, working mother ... too much fame, too early. That's the recipe for a disasterous, selfish life, but he has navigated through it all pretty well. Much better than I would have done.

I have to disagree. The mistakes were giving up vs Boston, the decision, guaranteeing the 8 + rings, making fun of Dirk, etc. WITH THAT SAID, he has never hurt another player purposely, he has never beat a woman, been pulled over for drunk driving, been accused of rape, etc. I do agree that LeBron had too much fame too early and wasn't mentally nor emotionally prepared for it. He also was given anything his heart desired in Cleveland thanks to the ownership and management. Dwayne Wade has made many more verbal mistakes in the last couple of years. LeBron has been nothing short of spectacular this season. He's done the right things. He's said the right things. It's Wade that deserves much of the vitriol at this point in time.

One thing I will say in favor of LBJ. He is not as great as he is hyped to be but he is also less of a douche than any of the starters of the 2008 Celtics. [/B]

Really? Ray Allen is a douche, Rondo is a douche?

bionic77

I will give you guys Ray Allen. Allen is a class act. But Rondo is an All Star douche. Not in the league of KG, Perkins and Pierce (all hall of famers in their own way), but he is still a dbag.

Talon

Ray Allen being a nice guy is one of the biggest false narratives in the league

guy wanted compensation for playing on the Olympic team
Hey, Jesus gets paid.
Here's a question: would you rather be a first option throughout your career (LeBron, Barkley, Malone, Ewing) and never win a ring OR be a third option type of player and win a ring?
Be a towel waving 10th man off the bench and get prime seats for 82 games a year. Scalabrine really had it made before he had to actually play.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I'd rather be Harden with a ring than LBJ with none.

Top Bottom