• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Flash

I'm not defending the production known as the decision. As it was universally panned as horrible and he even (much) later admitted it himself.

But, that's really about the only major mistake Lebron has made. He's not Kevin Durant, but he's also NOT Gilbert Arenas, Mike Tyson or numerous other child stars in Hollywood. That's the background from which he came. Single, working mother ... too much fame, too early. That's the recipe for a disasterous, selfish life, but he has navigated through it all pretty well. Much better than I would have done.

He's a joke. Don't get me wrong, he's a great NBA player but he's made some really stupid decisions (maybe its the people around him...regardless).

Not only is he the self-proclaimed King, he gives up on his home town in the shittiest way possible to join his superbestfriends Wade and Bosh in South Beach. He only did this because he thought this would be a guaranteed multiple championship dynasty and anyone who says otherwise are lying. Not 1, not 2, not 3... He wants to be the all time greatest (which is admirable), but he wanted a short cut for it.

So he talked himself up, he turns his back on his home town in one the most villainous way, he tries to take the short cut by joining two superstars/all-stars, and he's always show boating. The media always talks about and him his apologetic's always make him excuses and say "forget about the decision and forget about the guarantee!"... fuck no. If he won a shit load of championships the "not 7" stuff would be regarded as the most swag shit ever. Dude said it so let him be held accountable.

BUT to his credit, LeBron has toned it down a lot this year. He's been saying all the right things and doesn't come off as a jackass anymore (now it's Wade's turn lol). So we gotta give him credit for that, but that doesn't mean we should forget about how he's acted before.

And I don't think LeBron disappeared last night. He didn't go off but it wasn't close to how it was during the last finals. He was pretty average TBH, but obviously not as amazing as Durant who just went crazy.

Ramblin

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I figure as long as I'm going to be inundated with pressure from the media about everything I do, why not give a little to charity (even if it is a tax break) and on the off chance get a little over exposure so people get sick of me and let me eat my cold french fries in peace.

Cloudy

Banned
At this point though I don't know why more people don't acknowledge that Durant is the best player in the league and likely to stay that way for years to come. His performance in the playoffs so far has been ridiculous. The Thunder are going to be worthy champions.

He is having a great run but he isn't as good as Bron, Kobe or even Melo IMO. He is a better shooter than all those guys but he cannot get his shot off from anywhere like they do and relies HEAVILY on screens. Also he is not the playmaker that LeBron and Kobe are.

Don't get me wrong, he's great but I feel playing with Westbrook and Harden helps him A LOT. All these comeback wins they've had in the playoffs, Westbrook and Harden were the catalysts. Go look it up....

bionic77

Here's a question: would you rather be a first option throughout your career (LeBron, Barkley, Malone, Ewing) and never win a ring OR be a third option type of player and win a ring?
Assuming I was smart enough to not have 15 kids out of wedlock and go bankrupt 5 years after I retire I would definitely rather be the superstar with no rings.

These guys are pros and at the end of the day I would rather triple my salary then be employee of the year. Lets not confuse being a fan with being a pro. Of course the best of both worlds is to be a superstar with rings, which also increases the amount of money you can ask for.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I figure as long as I'm going to be inundated with pressure from the media about everything I do, why not give a little to charity (even if it is a tax break) and on the off chance get a little over exposure so people get sick of me and let me eat my cold french fries in peace.

That's really stupid. If you're a susperstar no one will leave you in peace.

Assuming I was smart enough to not have 15 kids out of wedlock and go bankrupt 5 years after I retire I would definitely rather be the superstar with no rings.

These guys are pros and at the end of the day I would rather triple my salary then be employee of the year. Lets not confuse being a fan with being a pro. Of course the best of both worlds is to be a superstar with rings, which also increases the amount of money you can ask for.

But lets say you're pulling 7-8 million a year as a third option (Lamar Odom or Ron Artest). You're going to be financially fine for life. You can win a ring while a first option superstar doesn't.

To me what Ray said wasn't even that bad. I don't see how that one statement makes him a douche.

also elbowed Varejao in the balls

and randomly trashed the Pacers and David West after he backed out of signing with the Celtics

and wasn't happy being benched this year after Avery Bradley was clearly outplaying him

I like Ray Allen as a player but he's no Tim Duncan

This idea might work if LBJ wasn't one of the biggest attention whores the league has ever had. Sure you could blame a lot of that on the media baptizing him in Jordans shadow when he was a wee tot but still don't for one second think Lebron wants the frenzy to go away.

KingGondo

Banned
He is having a great run but he isn't as good as Bron, Kobe or even Melo IMO. He is a better shooter than all those guys but he cannot get his shot off from anywhere like they do and relies HEAVILY on screens. Also he is not the playmaker that LeBron and Kobe are.
Oh my fucking god.

You really think the Knicks wouldn't be better with KD instead of Melo?

I'll just ignore the Kobe comment too and attribute it to blind fanaticism.

bionic77

Don't get me wrong, he's great but I feel playing with Westbrook and Harden helps him A LOT. All these comeback wins they've had in the playoffs, Westbrook and Harden were the catalysts. Go look it up....
Durant this year is better than this year Kobe for sure. I would also take him over LeBron and out of shape 2012 Melo.

I am not talking about his career, I was just talking about this year and to me he was the best player on the best team. I don't think he can carry a bunch of scrubs for some of the reasons you mentioned nor do I feel he has no holes in his game, but I feel like he is the MVP of the reg season and playoffs right now.

You are right about Harden though. That dude is the difference maker on that team. But hey you need great players to win a title and I won't hold that against him.

Smokey

Not as good as Melo...I know you're you and all but...wat

Talon

It's strange to me that we celebrate unselfishness in team sports, yet we expect our stars to be selfish and boorish on crucial possessions as if that's the only path to success. Don't get me wrong, I like Durant better and would rather build around him as well, but wait until the end of this series to throw dirt on Lebron's grave again.

This thread would implode on itself with boredom with Lebron to discuss. The gift that keeps on giving for Stern.

The tax write off statement is silly. That charitable donation wouldn't even make a dent in his taxable income between his salary and royalties. He's, what, 16 million a year + 15 million a year - so around 31 million a year, likely more. The Decision was $3 million. That write off only goes towards his taxable income - it's not $3 million of his taxes that get waived.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I think many great players who didn't win a ring would disagree with you...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
also elbowed Varejao in the balls

and randomly trashed the Pacers and David West after he backed out of signing with the Celtics

and wasn't happy being benched this year after Avery Bradley was clearly outplaying him

I like Ray Allen as a player but he's no Tim Duncan

TD is a big DB.

Durant this year is better than this year Kobe for sure. I would also take him over LeBron and out of shape 2012 Melo.

I am not talking about his career, I was just talking about this year and to me he was the best player on the best team. I don't think he can carry a bunch of scrubs for some of the reasons you mentioned nor do I feel he has no holes in his game, but I feel like he is the MVP of the reg season and playoffs right now.

You are right about Harden though. That dude is the difference maker on that team. But hey you need great players to win a title and I won't hold that against him.

I thought Kobe played fantastic this year but yeah Durant was amazing, course Durant is playing with a team that doesn't deal with menstrual cramps all season.

KG isn't a true center man.

Nope he was doing his great pregame ritual and starting getting more and more cocky leading to antics such as his dancing.. Wasn't much hate when he was a rookie and starting get worse as his actions did..

KG a true center? Since when?

KG does tend to want to wander to the perimeter but he is still one of the best low post scorers in the league. Maybe Pau is a better example? Or dwight? There are far to few old school post only centers in the league anyway.

And he wasn't even the first one to do that "ritual".

AirBrian

The average sports salary is x-fold higher than even the higher-end of middle class level paying jobs. Athletes, assuming they don't blow it all on exotic motorcycles (even trying to save a few dollars not buying helmets!), should be more than wealthy for the rest of their lives. You play sports because you're competitive, because you want to win. The money will come as long as you do your job.

I thought Kobe played fantastic this year but yeah Durant was amazing, course Durant is playing with a team that doesn't deal with menstrual cramps all season.

Durant is also a decade younger. The testament to Kobe is that he's been in the league for 16 years and is still performing at the level he is.

Durant is also a decade younger. The testament to Kobe is that he's been in the league for 16 years and is still performing at the level he is.

Yeah. I honestly expected Kobe to look 100 this year. 4 dunks last game, personal victory.

One other thing that is slightly..annoying to me. The leading scorer in the regular season. That was Kobe's if he wanted it. Enough Kobe though. I got to break the habit!

Ramblin

Banned
It's strange to me that we celebrate unselfishness in team sports, yet we expect our stars to be selfish and boorish on crucial possessions as if that's the only path to success. Don't get me wrong, I like Durant better and would rather build around him as well, but wait until the end of this series to throw dirt on Lebron's grave again.

This thread would implode on itself with boredom with Lebron to discuss. The gift that keeps on giving for Stern.

The tax write off statement is silly. That charitable donation wouldn't even make a dent in his taxable income between his salary and royalties. He's, what, 16 million a year + 15 million a year - so around 31 million a year, likely more. The Decision was $3 million. That write off only goes towards his taxable income - it's not $3 million of his taxes that get waived.

The Decision was broadcast from the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich, Connecticut, and the show raised $2.5 million for the charity.[86] The show raised an additional $3.5 million from advertisement revenue which was donated to other various charities.[87]

According to wikipedia.

Talon

Yeah. I honestly expected Kobe to look 100 this year. 4 dunks last game, personal victory.

One other thing that is slightly..annoying to me. The leading scorer in the regular season. That was Kobe's if he wanted it.
Who cares about the regular season scoring title? It's all about the postseason.

Kobe of all people wasn't going to jeopardize rest for something silly like that.

According to wikipedia.

Are you a Heat fan? Have you been in this thread before? These are all really old arguments.

Who cares about the regular season scoring title? It's all about the postseason.

Kobe of all people wasn't going to jeopardize rest for something silly like that.

Exactly, what a bad ass. I will conquer this habit!
I only meant its annoying from all the media perspective. KD your leading scorer of the season!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
KG does tend to want to wander to the perimeter but he is still one of the best low post scorers in the league. Maybe Pau is a better example? Or dwight? There are far to few old school post only centers in the league anyway.

And he wasn't even the first one to do that "ritual".
TD...?

Pau, Scola, Bogut, DMC, Big Al, Dwight, Jefferson are all great post players..

And the look at me ritual was the start...

Talon

According to wikipedia.
So at max it takes $6 million to cut away from his $31 million taxable income, so he saved maybe $2 million in taxes. Presumably he has other charitable work as well.

To ding him for that seems churlish at best. The write offs for charities exists for this very reason - as an incentive for public good.

KingGondo

Banned
According to wikipedia.
It's nice that money went to charity, but let's not pretend like The Decision wasn't concocted for anything but maximum media attention and hype.

The donation was something LBJ's team could point to as a justification for being attention whores.

Ramblin

Banned
Are you a Heat fan? Have you been in this thread before? These are all really old arguments.

I'm a fan of basketball. And I'm not arguing. I was simply posting that more than 3 million went to charity. A primary reason I find it hard to fault Lebron. And I've only recently joined this friendly fraternity of basketball elites.

bionic77

I think many great players who didn't win a ring would disagree with you...
Really? How many of them took less many in their primes to go play for a better team or bring in more talent?

Oh yeah, thats right none of them! Because no one throws away that much money. They all want max deals.

Quick question.
Those of you with parents that raised you around basketball, how do they feel about Lebron?
My dad and my Uncle both loathe him but not for the media exposure but 100% for the decision. To choose to unite instead of compete against is blasphemy to them.

I'm a fan of basketball. And I'm not arguing. I was simply posting that more than 3 million went to charity. A primary reason I find it hard to fault Lebron. And I've only recently joined this friendly fraternity of basketball elites.

Ah so your like my friend. Just loves the players and follows Lebron everywhere. I envy you people.

Flash

then just donate the money, don't create a huge spectacle then hide behind charity. nobody is saying he's a deep down terrible person. just an idiot who says stupid attention whoring things.

My dad and my Uncle both loathe him but not for the media exposure but 100% for the decision. To choose to unite instead of compete against is blasphemy to them.

Nobody likes people taking short cuts to win. Durant was patient, didn't demand stupid trades from his GM and let him work his magic. LeBron was pretty much always meddling with the Cavs FO which I would say put them behind significantly.

Talon

This ringless Lebron or sixth man argument is stupid.

You think TMac would trade places with Robert Horry? TMac's probably living on his own damn island right now.

bionic77

Yeah no knocks against Kobe. Dude is the hardest working guy in the game and the best player of his generation (IMHO).

But 2012 Kobe ain't 2008 Kobe. He needs help if he is going to get another ring. Losing Lamar to the Kardashians really killed both us and Dallas this year. We really could have used a healthy and motivated Lamar. Bynum is and always will be shit. I hope Jim finally realized that.

Quick question.
Those of you with parents that raised you around basketball, how do they feel about Lebron?

Ah so your like my friend. Just loves the players and follows Lebron everywhere. I envy you people.

My dad is indifferent to LeBron. He does make fun of me for being a hater tho. The Decision rubbed him the wrong way also.

This ringless Lebron or sixth man argument is stupid.

You think TMac would trade places with Robert Horry? TMac's probably living on his own damn island right now.

And do you think Robert Horry would prefer to be TMac who never made it to the finals let alone winning 7? Robert Horry is doing just financially I expect.

It isn't a reach at all to say Lebron can't shoot. Everyone knows that is how to guard him. Every team in the league would give him the midrange jumper and 3 all day long (see Dallas series from last year). If he makes it you can live with that, what you don't want to do is let him penetrate at will.

The Thunder has a very good pg, streaky or not and the Heat have no one who can cover him. Lebron and Durant is a wash. With Wade and Bosh being gimpy Harden looks like a better 3rd option and the rest of the Thunder and their bench are just better players than most of what Miami has to offer. It is a bad matchup and if the Heat don't beat them this year I see them repeating.

You gave Jordan the jumper too. Everybody knew that's how you guarded him. Hell you give alot of players the mid-range jumper.

Anyway, WB covers himself some nights with his scowling asshole chucks. He's hard to stop in the open court but he has terrible shot selection in the halfcourt. And OKC plays about 8 players, the gap really isn't that wide if there even is one because neither one is something to write home about.

We just can't be sloppy with the ball like we did last game. Turnovers and fastbreak points were the main difference.

Talon

I can't make myself care about the Decision anymore after Gilbert's childish Comic Sans letter and rants.

Also memories of Mike Brown bullish obsession with sticking Shaq and Varejao on the court together, and the Celtics of all teams coasting to easy transition baskets.

AirBrian

He could've just donated money to charity -- it's not like he makes a shitton from endorsements and salary and everything else. The Decision was 100% about him and nothing else. Those who think it was to help raise money for the Boys and Girls Club are ignorant.

Quick question.

This is me too, but I doubly want to see OKC lose because I am a former Sonic's fan :(

KingGondo

Banned
This is me too, but I doubly want to see OKC lose because I am a former Sonic's fan :(
I understand being bitter the team left, but actively rooting against them doesn't make sense to me.

Hate Bennett all you want (I kinda do too), but you shouldn't want to see guys like KD and Collison lose.

Ramblin

Banned
He could've just donated money to charity -- it's not like he makes a shitton from endorsements and salary and everything else. The Decision was 100% about him and nothing else. Those who think it was to help raise money for the Boys and Girls Club are ignorant.

I'm just quoting you because you were nice enough to insult someone who doesn't agree with your opinion, there are plenty here who agree with your opinion of the decision.

What should Lebron have done?

I understand being bitter the team left, but actively rooting against them doesn't make sense to me.

Hate Bennett all you want (I kinda do too), but you shouldn't want to see guys like KD and Collison lose.

I'm a player fan since the Sonics left, I couldn't go with them, I want to see LeBron win more.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Now people are using the "it's for charity" excuse for the Decision...again.

And Sonics fans, you have every right and should root against the Thunder.

You gave Jordan the jumper too. Everybody knew that's how you guarded him. Hell you give alot of players the mid-range jumper.

Anyway, WB covers himself some nights with his scowling asshole chucks. He's hard to stop in the open court but he has terrible shot selection in the halfcourt. And OKC plays about 8 players, the gap really isn't that wide if there even is one because neither one is something to write home about.

We just can't be sloppy with the ball like we did last game. Turnovers and fastbreak points were the main difference.
That's what made Jordan so effective though, he had an elite jumper

What pisses me off is that if OKC wins the chip, all the coverage will be about how LeBron choked and DIDN'T win it, rather than how OKC and Durant did.

You guys win this it will be talk about the start of a new dynasty. Unless something very specific happens where Lebron clearly chokes, the story will be how you won.

I don't know if offensive style should really determine if a player is a PF or a C considering that defense is a lot more important than offense for big men nowadays.

Top Bottom