• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Cloudy

Banned
Konex has been anti Durant for some time. I think he fears that Durant takes the attention off of Kobe.

I'm not anti-Durant at all. He is just a poor man's Prime-Tmac (Tracy was a better playmaker). I am just very skeptical of guys who need a screen like 80% of the time.

KingGondo

Banned
You guys win this it will be talk about the start of a new dynasty. Unless something very specific happens where Lebron clearly chokes, the story will be how you won.
Not that I really care that much, but...

This is ESPN we're talking about.

OKC will get more credit than Dallas did last year, but the main narrative will still be about Bron's failed quest for a ring.

SamuraiX-

I'm not anti-Durant at all. He is just a poor man's Prime-Tmac (better playmaker)

I guess it's true what they say about what happens when you go full-retard.

I don't remember TMac being 6'10"

or getting past the first round!

To be fair, if you put all the guys around Prime Orlando T-Mac that Durant has around him now, that team easily chips in this era.

T-Mac's supporting cast before injuries was always utter trash.

Cloudy

Banned
You guys are really gonna argue that Orlando T-Mac wasn't a better playmaker than KD? Wow, does anyone watch hoops here?

Dirk Nowitzki has paid close attention to Kevin Durant’s playoff run.

"KD," Nowitzki said, "is way ahead of my curve. He's arguably the best player in the league right now. I see a guy that really has no holes.

"He's a 6-10 guy with a 7-4 wingspan who can shoot it from the parking lot. He's posting up now. In transition he's so long that, when he gets a pass from the 3-point line, it's a layup or dunk with one step. He's got the one- or two-dribble pull-up, which you need to be a great scorer, because you can't just shoot 3s or go to the basket if you want to be a great scorer, 'cause sometimes you can't get all the way to the bucket. He can go both ways, one or two dribbles and up.

"He's way more of a 3-man than I ever was. He handles the ball way better on the break than I ever did. He's got deeper range. And he's doing all this at 23. He's won the scoring title three times in a row, so that he means he won the first one at 21. I barely got through my rookie year. When I was 21, Gary Trent was still killing me in practice."

Via Marc Stein/ESPN.com

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221506/Dirk_On_Durant_Hes_Way_Ahead_Of_My_Curve#ixzz1xgtDPvZ8

BU BU KONEX SAID!

Talon

You guys are really gonna argue that Orlando T-Mac wasn't a better playmaker than KD? Wow, does anyone watch hoops here?
You didn't specify Orlando T-Mac. People do forget how beastly prime TMac and Vince were in that era, but KD brings a unique skillset at an absurd size.

Mrbob

Thanks to Konex, Durant is now destined to become the greatest player of all time rising above Jordan!

Also, if Miami loses this series I think the story on Lebron changes. He is about to turn into a sympathetic figure everyone will feel sorry for.

iamshadowlark do you not realize how Jordan changed his game as he got older? He could still drive at times but he became a jump shooter.

Thanks to Konex, Durant is now destined to become the greatest player of all time rising above Jordan!

Also, if Miami loses this series I think the story on Lebron changes. He is about to turn into a sympathetic figure everyone will feel sorry for.

It depends on how well Lebron plays and how well Dwade plays. If Bron beasts throughout the series and still loses then yea, you are right. If he goes into last year LeBron mode then no.

KingGondo

Banned
Man, T-Mac really was incredible for a while there.

Too bad the Rox were never able to fulfill their potential. Hell, their best playoff run since they chipped was led by Ron-Ron.

ElRenoRaven

I understand being bitter the team left, but actively rooting against them doesn't make sense to me.

Hate Bennett all you want (I kinda do too), but you shouldn't want to see guys like KD and Collison lose.

I agree. The whole thing was fucked up without a doubt but Bennett and OKC weren't the only ones involved here. You had Shultz. He knew what he was doing too. Anyone that says he didn't is a blind fool. Then you have the city of Seattle who treated the team like shit and wouldn't work with them at all to build a new arena. They could support their other teams well though. Then the city of OKC just said hey if they bring it here we'll support them. I'd say they about as blameless as you can get in all this. Keep in mind Bennett certainly wasn't stupid. They picked the team because they knew Seattle wasn't going to work with them. Of course they were going to move the team. Everyone involved knew that. Sure enough they didn't and the rest is history.

So all parties created that mess. It does suck for Seattle fans because you guys got screwed in this. Those who stood by the team through thick and thin. However the extreme vitriolic hate that some have for this for the most part new team and those that support it is just childish as all hell.

Cloudy

Banned
You didn't specify Orlando T-Mac. People do forget how beastly prime TMac and Vince were in that era, but KD brings a unique skillset at an absurd size.

I said Prime T-Mac. Has KD ever even averaged 5 assists a game on his loaded team? T-Mac did that several times playing with BUMS.

Look KD is a great shooter and scorer but he is not the all-around player Kobe, LeBron and Tracy are/were. That's why I'm not as high on him as everyone else is. Elite scorer but that's about it...

PS: I like Melo better because he doesn't need illegal screens all game. Personal style preference

The average sports salary is x-fold higher than even the higher-end of middle class level paying jobs. Athletes, assuming they don't blow it all on exotic motorcycles (even trying to save a few dollars not buying helmets!), should be more than wealthy for the rest of their lives. You play sports because you're competitive, because you want to win. The money will come as long as you do your job.

Nah you gotta take care of yourself. Youre not going to go broke if your smart but you might want to invest big money into a dream project or a cause after your playing days.

Shit look at Schilling. He wanted to fund a next gen development team and lost upwards of 30 mil...

AirBrian

I'm just quoting you because you were nice enough to insult someone who doesn't agree with your opinion, there are plenty here who agree with your opinion of the decision.

What should Lebron have done?

Oh, I don't know, announce his decision like every other free agent in the history of the game. Instead, he made a spectacle of that decision and at the same time insulted the team and city he helped resurrect. Then donate money to charity if that was his real intention through another event not related to anything about his decision on what team to take his talents to.

I have absolutely no problems with him picking where he wanted to sign. But have some class and respect for the sport. There are so many ways this could've been handled better. I don't hate LBJ for the Decision. I just don't like the people who try and justify the Decision because of the charity facade. Hell, even LBJ says he regrets it.

LuchaShaq

Banned

OKC will get more credit than Dallas did last year, but the main narrative will still be about Bron's failed quest for a ring.

This.

Durant plays Great
Lebron plays great but 10% better/worse than Durant.
Westbrook plays well.
Wade sucks all series.

OMG LEBRON CHOKED THE TITLE AWAY AGAIN!!!11oneleventyone1

I am not saying there won't be tons of coverage about the Heat but you made it seem like they won't give OKC the credit. We will get coverage but I think it will be in how do we fix this team rather than we choked ( unless of course we clearly choke). If the series goes like it did last night OKC gets the credit, they are just better.

Lebron is the MVP and leader of his team. Ultimately success or failure falls on his shoulders.

It's a little too late to start raping Wade in the shower, it will not have any effects now

I am not saying there won't be tons of coverage about the Heat but you made it seem like they won't give OKC the credit. We will get coverage but I think it will be in how do we fix this team rather than we choked ( unless of course we clearly choke). If the series goes like it did last night OKC gets the credit, they are just better.

espn nba's homepage is all thunder stuff right now

it doesn't really matter either way

Ramblin

Banned
Oh, I don't know, announce his decision like every other free agent in the history of the game. Instead, he made a spectacle of that decision and at the same time insulted the team and city he helped resurrect. Then donate money to charity if that was his real intention through another event not related to anything about his decision on what team to take his talents to.

I have absolutely no problems with him picking where he wanted to sign. But have some class and respect for the sport. There are so many ways this could've been handled better. I don't hate LBJ for the Decision. I just don't like the people who try and justify the Decision because of the charity facade. Hell, even LBJ says he regrets it.

He didn't create the anticipation for his decision, he simply controlled the coverage. Instead of ESPN, and every other media outlet getting all the profit from the attention, he directed some of it to charities of his choice. If he does it like everyone else (which it never would have been since there has never been that level of interest or media coverage) then the boys and girls club wouldn't have received that 2.5 million, ESPN would have.

Mrbob

If OKC wins this ( I expect them too), I don't see the media talking about how Lebron choked. I see them stroking the rise of Kevin Durant as the best player in the league.

Lebron is the MVP and leader of his team. Ultimately success or failure falls on his shoulders.

If he is dropping 30 and 10 in the entirety of the playoffs and the Heat lose you can't put it on him. 4th quarter clutchness is still an issue though.

In the grand scheme of thing i really dont feel sorry for these athletes. They get paid millions to do something they love and can fuck all the bitches they want. Their life is so hard.

I dunno why people take an issue with media coverage. I guess with me it is a win win. either you hear about your team winning or you hear about the team you just beat sent spiraling

like when the dolphins beat the jets I got to hear all about the jets misery. good enough for me

AirBrian

He didn't create the anticipation for his decision, he simply controlled the coverage. Instead of ESPN, and every other media outlet getting all the profit from the attention, he directed some of it to charities of his choice. If he does it like everyone else (which it never would have been since there has never been that level of interest or media coverage) then the boys and girls club wouldn't have received that 2.5 million, ESPN would have.

Exactly -- HE controlled the coverage. He could've been a big boy and told ESPN that this was a bad idea. He could've come up with some other event to raise money for charity (or just give some back). But instead he chose to go along with whoever was telling him that the Decision was a good idea.

Look, James himself regrets the Decision. That should be enough by itself to say it was a bad decision.

Not sure if Bron wins a ring during his career if he loses this series. Theres almost no chance he has a better supporting cast than he does now.

Ramblin

Banned
Exactly -- HE controlled the coverage. He could've been a big boy and told ESPN that this was a bad idea. He could've come up with some other event to raise money for charity (or just give some back). But instead he chose to go along with whoever was telling him that the Decision was a good idea.

Look, James himself regrets the Decision. That should be enough by itself to say it was a bad decision.

Okay, so I thought it was a good decision. And you think I'm ignorant. Point taken.

I dunno why people take an issue with media coverage. I guess with me it is a win win. either you hear about your team winning or you hear about the team you just beat sent spiraling

like when the dolphins beat the jets I got to hear all about the jets misery. good enough for me

Yup. Plus whenever you want your teams coverage just turn on local sports.

Not sure if Bron wins a ring during his career if he loses this series. Theres almost no chance he has a better supporting cast than he does now.

Unless Wade goes and gets that german blood therapy, or they sign an old vet like Ray Allen or Steve Nash.

As long as stars get old and want rings, Miami will be a good spot to go out for the next couple seasons. Last year the only guys they got were Battier and Turiaf, so maybe thats a fallacy.

I'd like Bron to have left Cle only to end up with a rotating door of mediocre wings, a star past their prime and a stretch 4. Truly poetic justice.

Mrbob

The only media person I really care about with regards to the Heat is Dan Lebatard's dad. He takes Heat games seriously and I'm wondering if we'll get a hilarious meltdown should they lose this series.

Top Bottom