• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Wade probably wouldn't have this "clutch" gene crap going for him from the media if Shaq never came to town.

"He's done it before so that's all that matters!" I hate that argument

It is STUNNING to me how much a pass you get if you were once a Finals MVP. He was incredible back then, that should not give you a career get out of criticism card. Its the opposite with someone without a ring, you are a career choker until you finally win one.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
2007 Spurs
2008Celtics
2009 Lakers
2010 Lakers
and 2011 Mavs

Are all better than those Cavs teams but they weren't bad like Luchashaq said. Unless Cleveland pulled off a really big move they weren't going to do win a chip, but as it seems matching Wade and Bosh still can't get Bron a ring. He's proving to be incredibly hard to build around.

Lebron isn't hard to build around at all. the problem the heat have is they have two redundant players making 16 and 15.5 million each in Lebron and Wade.

That 15.5 million going to Wade can be put to much better use to create a more complete team. Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce complement each other. Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan complement each other.

Even Howard + Bosh + Lebron or LeBron + Howard alone would probably be better than Lebron + Wade + Bosh.

Or Rose + Lebron + Noah.

Or a myriad of other possibilities.

how do you figure? The Lakers got the pick through the old school baseball free agent system where teams had to give up picks to sign FA..

It was a coin flip between LA and the Bulls.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers
CHICAGO — Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."

Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.

"The next year, I think the first pick belonged to Utah. I could have ended up Utah's Earvin (Magic) Johnson. How does that sound?"

Just a side note, I cannot wait to see this Dream Team special. ESPN was showing a bunch of clips this morning, like how Jordan said he will not go if Isaiah is on the team. It looks amazing. I still have all those, I think it was McDonalds cups, of each player.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Naw he still had two years of NCAA time.

And did the Lakers ever have the number 1 pick in those two years? Besides Magic said it himself he would have been a Utah Jazz..

He just hates Chi-Town..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
LBJ Cavs were an ok team.. You saw how bad they were once you removed LBJ from the team tho..

Not really an argument. The 2010-2011 team got completely ravaged by injuries and they ended up starting D-Leaguers for a large portion of the schedule. Plus, they traded away or let their entire bench walk. It wasn't like "Take 2009-2010 Cavs and minus Lebron, you get 40 less wins." Now they weren't good, but they weren't as bad as they seemed.

Blackace

Not really an argument. The 2010-2011 team got completely ravaged by injuries and they ended up starting D-Leaguers for a large portion of the schedule. Plus, they traded away or let their entire bench walk. It wasn't like "Take 2009-2010 Cavs and minus Lebron, you get 40 less wins." Now they weren't good, but they weren't as bad as they seemed.

They might have won 30 to 35 games with their full roster..

And did the Lakers ever have the number 1 pick in those two years? Besides Magic said it himself he would have been a Utah Jazz..

He just hates Chi-Town..

I don't really buy that, especially when he said the only he came was to play with Kareem but ok.

He would have went to GS anyway

Actually, it could have been Golden State's Earvin (Magic) Johnson, because the Warriors went first in the 1980 draft, eventually settling for the somewhat less than magical Joe Barry Carroll. Utah, picking second, took Darrell Griffith.

Blackace

I don't really buy that, especially when he said the only he came was to play with Kareem but ok.

He would have went to GS anyway

He said in NO way would he play in Chi.. but he said he would have came out next year most likely.. and yes he wanted to play with Kareem.. It's pretty plain to see he didn't want to be in Chi-Town for whatever reason..

He said in NO way would he play in Chi.. but he said he would have came out next year most likely.. and yes he wanted to play with Kareem.. It's pretty plain to see he didn't want to be in Chi-Town for whatever reason..

not enough bitches dressing all skimpy in the winter

maybe the groupie scene in chicago wasn't as strong too

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
this picture was too good not to post
https://twitter.com/CraZy_Zipay/status/211965659754659841/photo/1

VbUVp.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Larry Hughes is known for his one on one D (and poor shot selection).. he even made first team all D team the year before joining the Cavs.. not that the award means much.. but taking a NBA superstar's spot on the team is telling..

The all defense teams have been a joke for like a decade.

The only reason he had the spot on all defense was because he randomly doubled his career average in steals and led the league at 3ish for the wizards.

Blackace

The all defense teams have been a joke for like a decade.

The only reason he had the spot on all defense was because he randomly doubled his career average in steals and led the league at 3ish for the wizards.

Try to spin like you want, but Hughes has been known as a lockdown defender for years and years.. Maybe he wasn't the best SG defender in the NBA that year, but that was his strong point. Saying otherwise is pretty much wrong..

Don't forget the heart and hustle of this young man Heat-age. You're playing against a team that's like 9 deep at home

nick-collison-channing-frye-2009-12-23-23-12-58.jpg

Also, these guys are gonna be blowing dat whistle like it's going out of style in OKC

96350482.jpg.19446_display_image.jpg
091109_ScottFoster.jpg

snack

I wonder how many people hated LeBron before the national TV announcement where he ripped a city's heart out. That was a huge mistake on LeBron's part but he no one can deny how good of a basketball player he is. I think he's shown in this year's playoffs what his full potential is.

effzee

I wonder how many people hated LeBron before the national TV announcement where he ripped a city's heart out. That was a huge mistake on LeBron's part but he no one can deny how good of a basketball player he is. I think he's shown in this year's playoffs what his full potential is.

I don't know about hate but people did legitimately question his reluctance to shoot the last shot and his short comings in the playoffs and 1 final appearance as a part of the Cavs.

Top Bottom