• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The NBA and the media will always put someone on MJs level, because MJ made them stupid money..

Shit Penny was the next MJ
Which is funny cause he played more like Magic, which is also what LeBron plays more like.

Wait a minute. . . . . .

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well, that and most people want to forget about 90s bullyball.

Of course, there's Wilt, Russell, Dream, Shaq, and Kareem as the unquestioned top 5 and most people stop at 5. Then you have DRob, Moses, Walton, and Ewing. {note: not in any order]

If anything, ZO is the Center who rarely is remembered. Probably due to missing a lot of time, of course. Random fucking diseases.

If Pat or Zo won 2 or 3 rings in their prime (for Zo) then you don't have an unquestioned top 5

If Pat or Zo won 2 or 3 rings in their prime (for Zo) then you don't have an unquestioned top 5

Yes, you do. Come on, now. Ewing best was no where near the 3 we've seen play and Russell/Wilt won't be touched in the top 5 just because.

Ewing/Zo were never Shaq/Kareem/Dream good.

Also, Tyra banks in that commercial. Man, I remember her when I was young...

benjipwns

Banned
Which is funny cause he played more like Magic, which is also what LeBron plays more like.

Wait a minute. . . . . .
IIRC, a lot of the MJ comparisons came after he slid over to the two and blew up for a pair of 40 point games against Miami in the first round in '97.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
IIRC, a lot of the MJ comparisons came after he slid over to the two and blew up for a pair of 40 point games against Miami in the first round in '97.
It's a damn shame what Penny became due to injuries. Wasn't Grant Hill supposed to be the next MJ too, at one point?

TylerD

this picture was too good not to post
https://twitter.com/CraZy_Zipay/status/211965659754659841/photo/1

VbUVp.jpg

Jesus Christ and two pictures of Spock.

benjipwns

Banned
It's a damn shame what Penny became due to injuries. Wasn't Grant Hill supposed to be the next MJ too, at one point?
Yeah, Hill got it less as a comparison as a player and more of people seeing him as that great superstar with huge media presence, etc. During those years under Doug Collins when he was getting 20-21ppg, 9-10rpg and 7apg and the Pistons were surprising everyone with good seasons.

There was some crazy talk when the Pistons were 43-14 in 96-97 and had hung with the Bulls on Christmas Day. Then they went into a tailspin burned out on Collins and lost to the Hawks in the first round.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Harold Minor = Baby Jordan

Grant Hill was the first "heir apparent." Then Penny.

Yeah, Hill got it less as a comparison as a player and more of people seeing him as that great superstar with huge media presence, etc. During those years under Doug Collins when he was getting 20-21ppg, 9-10rpg and 7apg and the Pistons were surprising everyone with good seasons.

There was some crazy talk when the Pistons were 43-14 in 96-97 and had hung with the Bulls on Christmas Day. Then they went into a tailspin burned out on Collins and lost to the Hawks in the first round.
Injuries have destroyed so many "heir apparents".

Blondie

Neo Member
kinda in the same boat..

think Wade is bitchmade and really showed this season.. LBJ is SO talented it is hard to hate how he plays.. still don't like the idea that the players basically GMed the team together so that will never really sit well with me..

and then the Thunder... young talented and stolen from hometown..

whoever wins, I lose.. :(

Look in your heart Blackace, you know who must lose!

Oh, BTW I'm going to this on Thursday!

Blackace

Zo was as good as a defensive center as any. He didn't have a great or dominant offensive game though.

Hornets/first heat Zo was nuts in the post.. Really D12 should be looking at tapes of Zo to get better 21 ppg his rookie year... he basically avg 21 ppg until his sickness hit

shot over 50% from the fg almost 70% from stripe... what are talking about?

Blackace

Yes, you do. Come on, now. Ewing best was no where near the 3 we've seen play and Russell/Wilt won't be touched in the top 5 just because.

Ewing/Zo were never Shaq/Kareem/Dream good.

Also, Tyra banks in that commercial. Man, I remember her when I was young...

Wilt gets pushed aside for not winning as many rings as he should have.. so what he had 100 points? dude has 2 rings.. don't get me wrong I think what he has done is amazing and everything but if Pat had 3 rings that list becomes trickier to make...

Wilt gets pushed aside for not winning as many rings as he should have.. so what he had 100 points? dude has 2 rings.. don't get me wrong I think what he has done is amazing and everything but if Pat had 3 rings that list becomes trickier to make...
No way.

30 ppg, 22 rpg, 4-5 apg. 4 MVPs. 2 chips. 100 point game is the least impressive stat. Once played 48.6 mpg for an entire season.

Wilt only has 2 titles and yet numerous people think he's the GOAT or GOAT center. Shaq has 4 and most do not put him over Wilt. Why would Ewing get such treatment with 3?

No way.

30 ppg, 22 rpg, 4-5 apg. 4 MVPs. 2 chips. 100 point game is the least impressive stat. Once played 48.6 mpg for an entire season.
You really need to watch full games of him to see his dominance...he was still far more athletic than most players he faced when he was in his 30s.

Lkr

The only reason I brought Garnett up is because KG is now thought of as a winner, thanks to his one chip in 2008. For years before that he was seen, much like Lebron, as someone with a wonderful all-around game who too often deferred to his less talented teammates in the big moments late in the game.

It had nothing to do with how he got to Boston.

I don't ever remember that really being a topic of discussion with Garnett. I remember no one ever gave his teams a shot and he was overachieving with a bunch of bums for a few years like LeBron did in 07(LeBron had solid teams after this year, don't kid yourselves), but he never got any help.

benjipwns

Banned
Wilt only has 2 titles and yet numerous people think he's the GOAT or GOAT center. Shaq has 4 and most do not put him over Wilt. Why would Ewing get such treatment with 3?
There is the Knicks factor. Plus it's likely to assume at least one of those rings would have come after beating Jordan's Bulls.

He was being asked to come out of retirement in his early 40s. This was in the early 80s mind you. Dude was an athletic freak.
Played pro volleyball after he retired for years. Had a bundle of absurd track and field performances. Ran marathons until his death.

I don't ever remember that really being a topic of discussion with Garnett. I remember no one ever gave his teams a shot and he was overachieving with a bunch of bums for a few years like LeBron did in 07(LeBron had solid teams after this year, don't kid yourselves), but he never got any help.
It was the dominant narrative surrounding KG around 2002 and 2003 at least.

Blackace

like I said the top 5 center list gets harder to make if Pat had some chips

doesnt mean that Wilt is cut but everything equal someone gets bumped

benjipwns

Banned
like I said the top 5 center list gets harder to make if Pat had some chips

doesnt mean that Wilt is cut but everything equal someone gets bumped
It'd probably be Hakeem for most people. Since Ewing would most likely be taking one or both of his rings to get to three.

I bring you all the good tidings from the Church of Durantity.

dRUb2.jpg

Saint Durant and his disciple JudasBrook will lead you away from the Apocalypse if only you would believe.

Do not be troubled by thoughts of douchbags having rings upon the throne.

You will achieve Durantity, if you open your heart and your eyes to his jump shot. You will believe.

Durantity in 6.

dRUb2.jpg

Saint Durant and his disciple JudasBrook will lead you away from the Apocalypse if only you would believe.

You will achieve Durantity, if you open your heart and your eyes to his jump shot. You will believe.

Durantity in 6.

I believe!!!!

i dont

Hornets/first heat Zo was nuts in the post.. Really D12 should be looking at tapes of Zo to get better 21 ppg his rookie year... he basically avg 21 ppg until his sickness hit

shot over 50% from the fg almost 70% from stripe... what are talking about?

All I'm saying is that I don't think he had a dominant offensive game like Shaq and Hakeem. Zo had an ok midrange shot and could hit a post hook going middle or baseline, but he wasn't an overpowering beast like shaq or had the skills of hakeem. still, i'm comparing him to only the best

Blackace

All I'm saying is that I don't think he had a dominant offensive game like Shaq and Hakeem. Zo had an ok midrange shot and could hit a post hook going middle or baseline, but he wasn't an overpowering beast like shaq or had the skills of hakeem. still, i'm comparing him to only the best

He dominated both sides of the ball like few others.. Dream.. and young TD.

21 ppg is no easy task for a big man in the NBA and he did it with a in his prime LJ and "What bad shot?" Kendell Gill

Blackace

Speaking of greats.. where does Webber rank among the PFs?

Speaking of greats.. where does Webber rank among the PFs?

Wow, great question.

Has to be best ever in college and top 10 in NBA.

Of highly ranked PF's I would take a prime Webber over a lot of them like McHale...I'd also argue that he would have outplayed Malone in the Utah system had he and Stockton played in that offense in their respective primes.

Blackace

Wow, great question.

Has to be best ever in college and top 10 in NBA.

Of highly ranked PF's I would take a prime Webber over a lot of them like McHale...

I loved his game too.. And he improved his game pretty much every year until his decline..

I loved his game too.. And he improved his game pretty much every year until his decline..

I was playing in school the same time as Webber and we all kicked it a few times, I'll tell you this, he's a good man. Rose is and always has been a self important douche and Jackson was a gangster but Webber always had time to talk to anyone who wanted to shoot the shit. People still talk about him and Woodson's ball games at the orb. I'll tell you this, Charles Woodson would have been a hell of a PG man.

What happened with Ed Martin happened at every college (including fucking Duke) back then and him taking the brunt of it was bullshit. I don't blame him for not coming back.

Hell even I had my hand in the cookie jar back then and so would anybody else on this board. We didn't know it was wrong.

/pontification

I was playing in school the same time as Webber and we all kicked it a few times, I'll tell you this, he's a good man. Rose is and always has been a self important douche and Jackson was a gangster but Webber always had time to talk to anyone who wanted to shoot the shit. People still talk about him and Woodson's ball games at the orb. I'll tell you this, Charles Woodson would have been a hell of a PG man.

What happened with Ed Martin happened at every college (including fucking Duke) back then and him taking the brunt of it was bullshit. I don't blame him for not coming back.

Hell even I had my hand in the cookie jar back then and so would anybody else on this board. We didn't know it was wrong.

/pontification

Met Webber when I was 13 or so in Vegas at the Victor Awards. He literally couldnt have been nicer. Ive met some asshole celebs and Webber was right at the top in terms of just being a pleasure. When I was in the lobby waiting to walk in to the show he passed ke by and saw that i had some mentos and asked for a few lol. Obviously I obliged. He in return walked me into the VIP line lol.

dRUb2.jpg

Durantity in 6.

Human beings in a mob.
What's a mob to a King? What's a King to a God?
What's a God to a nonbeliever, who don't believe in anything?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cowherd says Miami wins in six if Wade keeps up with Westbrook. Says Miami has better stars, bigs and better bench.

My brain...

Cowherd says Miami wins in six if Wade keeps up with Westbrook. Says Miami has better stars, bigs and better bench.

My brain...

There is no way in hell Wade can keep up with Westbrook. That said, James is cheat code right now, not sure I'd want to bet against him.

Buuuttttt.....OKC in 7.

KingGondo

Banned

My brain...
Better bigs? Beyond Bosh, the rest of Miami's bigs are terribad.

I could see them getting into foul trouble, too. YNB, Durant and Harden need to drive, drive, drive.

Colin Cowherd also just tried to somehow say that fight wasn't rigged

Better bigs? Beyond Bosh, the rest of Miami's bigs are terribad.

I could see them getting into foul trouble, too. YNB, Durant and Harden need to drive, drive, drive.

both our frontcourts are getting fouled out and you know it

gonna be some awesome nazr mohammed and juwan howard pittman battles down there, will have some throwback pittman vs aldrich big 12 battles too

Wade could keep up with Westbrook lets not get silly but he probably won't. That being said WB tends to try and bully smaller guards so Chalmers might not need big minutes on him, Wade would put him in his place in that regard.

I remember Mamba breaking down both our teams earlier in the year and I think the consensus was that we were about even from the top 3 on. I certainly don't look at someone like Perk as nothing more than a bigger Joel.

ph33nix said:
both our frontcourts are getting fouled out and you know it

gonna be some awesome nazr mohammed and juwan howard pittman battles down there, will have some throwback pittman vs aldrich big 12 battles too

If Pittman finds himself anywhere near the basketball court, the Heat already lost this series.

They might win the thug battle, but that's it.

So if the Heat don't win it this year, what happens to Lebron's legacy if he continues to perform at this ridiculous level he is right now?

Top Bottom