• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Rasheed-and-Wilt.jpg

dwightjoakim_04.jpg

Canuck76

Banned
Instead of defending your position like its all you have, how about you try and figure out what I'm talking about.

Its not like I pegged the best point guard prospect of the last 5 years as a living, breathing smurf before he even stepped on the court. Maybe there's a slight chance I know what I'm talking about.

And again, a wasted possession is very, very different from a "turnover".

I'm sorry i don't know what your talking about

What makes it annoying is that Wade basically argues that he has it difficult. That its been hard on him playing in Miami. Once again, everything is about him. Asshole.

WTF I didn't read that anywhere

I'm not sure how you interpret shit that way

I have never lived anywhere more exciting!*

*lived in Oklahoma whole life.

I'm sure it's fine, I probably wouldn't mind living there (is there enough Mexican and BBQ?)

Most bigger cities in the south are alright. it's the small towns that are real shitty

To keep Brooks and co from knowing duh. Your defensive schemes change a bit when guarding Bosh/Haslem or Bron/Haslem or god forbid Haslem/Anthony.

Happens a few times every playoffs even if a guy doesn't play. I remember someone saying one minute spent planning for injured player X is a minute they didn't spend planning for player Y who will actually be playing.

giri

To keep Brooks and co from knowing duh. Your defensive schemes change a bit when guarding Bosh/Haslem or Bron/Haslem or god forbid Haslem/Anthony.

Happens a few times every playoffs even if a guy doesn't play. I remember someone saying one minute spent planning for injured player X is a minute they didn't spend planning for player Y who will actually be playing.

Except that, they'll know the defensive schemes for all the combo's of

Chalmers, Wade, LBJ, Battier, Bosh, Haslem, Anthony.

They just change them based on who's on the court, they won't specifically learn a new scheme based on who is and isn't starting.

All Dream Team practices were closed to the media. That’s just how things operate in an Olympic environment, where reporters are also barred from the locker rooms, the venue where, in the States, we get much of our information. But I vividly remember that day in Monte Carlo. Reporters were allowed in for the last few minutes of practice, during which the scrimmage was wrapping up.

There was a certain tension in the air. Jordan was gloating and Magic was bumming. Some of the players began opening up about it (though not much) and some daily stories appeared the following day about the competitiveness of the scrimmage and the legendary trash-talking, reporters trying their best to fill in the holes.

Jan Hubbard of Newsday, who was a helluva hard guy to beat on the daily trail, was particularly good at fishing out information. I never wrote about it. There was no Internet then, and by the time I was ready to write my weekly story the scrimmage had diminished in importance. The hard details were unknown, and remained so, as the game took on a life of its own, “sort of like an urban legend,” as Christian Laettner put it when I interviewed him for Dream Team.

As the years rolled on, certain players would think back to that game and talk about the splendor of it. It was widely assumed that no video of it existed. That supposition was written countless times in newspaper stories and chat rooms, but as I began to research the book I was bound and determined to find it.

I learned that officials from USA Basketball had kicked out the league’s own cinematographers from practice that day, as well as a couple of the public relations people, all of whom were dedicated professionals and should’ve been there. (USAB had to flex its muscles from time to time and that was a source of contention for the players; more details in Dream Team.) But I made a call to Pete Skorich, who had shot video for USAB and, as a Pistons employee, was more or less Chuck Daly’s personal video guy.

“I’m pretty sure I have it,” said Skorich when I briefed him. “Anyway, I have a bunch of VHS tapes around my house, so you’re welcome to come up and we’ll look through them.”
I did just that, and Pete put one in. “I think this is what you’re looking for,” he said, and up came the first scrimmage, from the Dream Team’s practice in La Jolla, when a bunch of college kids upset them.

For some reason, that never engaged me quite the way it did many others. The Dream Team documentary covered it fully, including Mike Krzyzewski’s take that Daly had deliberately thrown the scrimmage, keeping Jordan out of it at crunch time. Well … maybe. But the point is, the Dream Team made what Daly used to call “the necessary adjustments” and assumed a scorched-earth philosophy from that point forward.

Pete and I continued to plow through the tapes. I was losing faith. Finally, I put in one that showed the waning minutes of an exhibition game between the Dream Team and the French national team that had taken place in Monte Carlo.

“This might be it,” I said. “The scrimmage took place the next day. Chuck was upset at how they had played against the French, so he wanted the guys to mix it up a little.”
We ran through the early stages of the next day’s practice, the endless weaving fullcourt drills, the unguarded shooting, until finally … Daly calls the team together and breaks them up into teams. There were only ten players ready to go; John Stockton and Clyde Drexler were injured.

The teams were:
Jordan, Pippen, Bird, Ewing and Malone.
Magic, Mullin, Laettner, Robinson and Barkley.

THIS WAS IT! This was the lost scrimmage! (I always tell my writing students not to use exclamation marks. So please forget I did it.) But I will conjure up a couple of sentences from the famous final page of The Great Gatsby:

“And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world,
I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the
green light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long
way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed
so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it.”

Okay, a bit much. But I felt damn good finding that scrimmage. Pete converted the VHS to a DVD. I digested it. I memorized it. I paid a young man to compile an official boxscore of it. I showed parts of it to Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin and David Robinson and the Dream Team assistants Krzyzewski and P.J. Carlesimo. I made fun of Carlesimo’s refereeing (or lack thereof). The extensive abuse taken by the other referee, an unfortunate international guy, is one of the great subplots of the scrimmage–Karl Malone goes nuclear on the poor dude.

The reactions of the players were telling. “I don’t have no desire to see it,” said Malone, who resented the woofing of Michael and Magic and the center-stage role that they played. Pippen, one of the greatest defenders of all-time, laughed when Mullin back-doored him. “Man, Chris found a way to do that every game,” said Scottie.

Mullin asked his wife, Liz, to come in and watch a replay of Bird making a key steal. Jordan remembered that play, too, and insisted that it had won the game. I told him that wasn’t the case, but he argued me down. Jordan can do that. But, Michael, no, it didn’t win the game.

All in all, it’s a fascinating historical document, to which I devote twenty full pages in Dream Team. I call it “The Greatest Game Nobody Ever Saw.” That’s an exaggeration but not by much. I hope you will “watch” it with me.

http://www.jackmccallum.net/2012/06/14/midsummer-nights-dream-team-scrimmage/#.T9pg5Rc9jix

Good read on the monte carlo practice, a bit.

Except that, they'll know the defensive schemes for all the combo's of

Chalmers, Wade, LBJ, Battier, Bosh, Haslem, Anthony.

They just change them based on who's on the court, they won't specifically learn a new scheme based on who is and isn't starting.

True, that line is more for guys who won't play but people think there's a chance he might, especially one on one iso type players.

If nothing else its just an attempt at headtricks, Spo and the team HAVE to know the details behind the Bosh situation...if not....then I don't even.

“I would have to start my team with Scottie Pippen,” he said. “This is why I would take Scottie: Do you remember the time that Michael retired? I watched Scottie Pippen when the Chicago Bulls weren’t really good and Scottie led that team in every statistical category, and I just remembered that. Plus, he’s a guy who could care less about scoring. He wants to stop the best player on the other team. That would have been pretty cool, to see Scottie guarding Michael.”

Stern don't hate the Thunder.
This. Keep in mind the Thunder have the same advantage over the Heat that Miami usually has over other teams: The refs. That effectively negates the Heat BS FT ability unless Stern jumps on the Heat 100%, and he can't do that w/o pissing off the Thunder, who employ FThunder. And you might take flops outts the equation too because Stern announced he's going to look into anti-flopping rules this summer.

giri

This. Keep in mind the Thunder have the same advantage over the Heat that Miami usually has over other teams: The refs. That effectively negates the Heat BS FT ability unless Stern jumps on the Heat 100%, and he can't do that w/o pissing off the Thunder, who employ FThunder. And you might take flops outts the equation too because Stern announced he's going to look into anti-flopping rules this summer.

You mean the same way he looked into it 2 years ago declaring they were going to crack down on flopping?

lol.

He's just saying the PR thing he has to. Like he should on radio.

You mean the same way he looked into it 2 years ago declaring they were going to crack down on flopping?

lol.

This year/playoffs amount of flopping is SO BAD he has to do something. Part of it is getting support/pressure from other owners.

lol.

The only way the league cracks down on flops are heavy fines. post game reviews on replays.

giri

This year/playoffs amount of flopping is SO BAD he has to do something. Part of it is getting support/pressure from other owners.

Yeah, but it's not on a new level. It's always been bad. Odds are they do absolutely fucking nothing.

The only way the league cracks down on flops are heavy fines. post game reviews on replays.

Yep.

Fines start at $25k. And then double every time you get found guilty of flopping in a post game review.

When your next flop is going to cost you $800k you might re-consider it.

SUPREME1

Banned
Yeah, but it's not on a new level. It's always been bad. Odds are they do absolutely fucking nothing.

Yep.

Fines start at $25k. And then double every time you get found guilty of flopping in a post game review.

When your next flop is going to cost you $800k you might re-consider it

Well that ain't gonna happen. $20K per flop might work, long term.

J2 Cool

Redeem Team had trouble against Spain. I doubt they take down the Dream Team. Big edge in the frontcourt to the Dream team, Jordan gets beat up by Dwight some. Lebron isn't driving on DRob and Ewing as much as he does, and his jumper could fail him. Same with Wade. Big mental edge to the Dream Team as well, with Magic/Michael combo. Kobe had to save their asses against Spain, I don't think they have enough in the final 5 minutes unless Wade was clicked in. But if the Dream team was pounding them inside for easy buckets, forget it.

They're big advantage is running. But Michael, Scottie, DRob, Barkley, and Stockton/Magic is a pretty good running squad if needed.

Mxrz

I want to see another game 6 performance from LeBron. Don't really care about who wins. He's one of the few current players that has any sort of chance to leave a lasting impression on the game, hate to see that wasted.

Top Bottom