• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I welcome Pacers fans.

Their fans are very polite, nice sendoff for the team after tonight. There is no reason to hate fellow loser bros.

They had Barbosa on their team. He was the worst player in the history of playoff basketball this series.

Nori Chan

also fuk yo loser bro concept clown

7TiwF.jpg

I wish the Bobcats hadn't been so reticent to trade the #5 and #13 picks for #3 to take Chris Paul :(

The Bobcats have fucked up so many drafts it isn't even funny. In fact, I felt like they should have traded the Kemba Walker and Biyombo picks last year. It was a shitty draft and I'll be shocked if either of those guys are in the league in three years.

2004: They drafted Okafor. Players drafted AFTER Okafor = Josh Smith, Iggy, and Deng.
2005: They passed on Granger and Bynum for Sean May and Felton.
2006: Drafted Adam Morrison over Rudy Gay, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Roy, Sefolosha, and Redick
2007: Drafted Brandon Wright over Noah.
2008: Drafted Augustin and Alexis Ajinca. Players taken AFTER them? Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Anderson, and Serge Ibaka

The only pick they ever got right was Gerald Henderson and they passed on Ty Lawson to get him. This franchise is a fucking disaster.

Canuck76

Banned
Welcome pacers fans!

I'm sad y'all lost but on the other hand Hibb's value is hopefully going down at this point.

Do the homer thing and spend all your money on Gordon.

The Bobcats have fucked up so many drafts it isn't even funny. In fact, I felt like they should have traded the Kemba Walker and Biyombo picks last year. It was a shitty draft and I'll be shocked if either of those guys are in the league in three years.

2004: They drafted Okafor. Players drafted AFTER Okafor = Josh Smith, Iggy, and Deng.
2006: Drafted Adam Morrison over Rudy Gay, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Roy, Sefolosha, and Redick
2008: Drafted Augustin and Alexis Ajinca. Players taken AFTER them? Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Anderson, and Serge Ibaka

The only pick they ever got right was Gerald Henderson and they passed on Ty Lawson to get him. This franchise is a fucking disaster.

GltcV.gif

Talon

Well, to be fair in '04, the argument was Dwight as the higher ceiling and Okafor as the guy that'll get you double doubles but probably not dominant.

Deng was considered a guy that would never be a prolific scorer but decent at everything. Josh Smith wasn't even on anyone's radar other than a super athletic jumper. Both those guys have exceeded all expectations. Of course, Josh Childress went before both those guys. I think Josh was, what, 18? Something like that. Childress was right before Deng. I remember screaming for Billy Knight's blood for passing on Deng for Childress.

Sean May, Felton, Morrison and Wright can't be defended.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The hindsight post of the century. Okafor won roty. Sean may just won final four MVP and Felton played great. May got hurt and Felton was as drafted - the 3rd best PG. You really think project big bynum made more sense at the time? 2006 was a crap shoot. Gay got traded for battier and Josh got clowned in front of his family. Bobcats only used the Wright pick to get JRich - what else were they going to do with that pick other than trade it?

You make it sound like we neglected to use our draft time machine..

2004: They drafted Okafor. Players drafted AFTER Okafor = Josh Smith, Iggniy, and Deng.

Well, to be fair in '04, the argument was Dwight as the higher ceiling and Okafor as the guy that'll get you double doubles but probably not dominant.

Deng was considered a guy that would never be a prolific scorer but decent at everything. Josh Smith wasn't even on anyone's radar other than a super athletic jumper. Both those guys have exceeded all expectations. Of course, Josh Childress went before both those guys. I think Josh was, what, 18? Something like that. Childress was right before Deng. I remember screaming for Billy Knight's blood for passing on Deng for Childress.

Sean May, Felton, Morrison and Wright can't be defended.

Sure they can. People weren't touching Roy because of his knees - and they were right. Bargnani ain't shit, and we're lucky that we aren't the team paying him 10 mil a year to revisit the lottery. May could play - but he got legitimately hurt. Felton was fine too.

A dumbfuck pick is not taking Chris Paul because you've got Telfair in the wings or drafting Shelden Williams.

pilonv1

You can do this after any draft with hindsight. It's just a product of scouting and talent evaluation. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. The 2004 draft was a classic two man draft at the time, and Okafor was a monster in college. The three players you suggest were projected 3's, and the Cats had picked up Gerald Wallace in the expansion draft. It was an easy choice.

Sure if you go back now you can say Rajon Rondo would be a top pick in 2005. But coming out he wasn't that highly touted, no one is using a high draft pick on a small PG who couldn't shoot the ball worth a damn. If he ended up on the Bobcats instead of the Celtics who is to say he would have been even a starter? So much of it is the situation they're drafted into.

If you want to pick on the Bobcats, there's so many other ways to do it.

edit: I see DY has replied too. The J-Rich one is a perfect example. Yes they drafted Wright, but it was for the Warriors.

DY_nasty

You can do this after any draft with hindsight. It's just a product of scouting and talent evaluation. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. The 2004 draft was a classic two man draft at the time, and Okafor was a monster in college. The three players you suggest were projected 3's, and the Cats had picked up Gerald Wallace in the expansion draft. It was an easy choice.

Sure if you go back now you can say Rajon Rondo would be a top pick in 2005. But coming out he wasn't that highly touted, no one is using a high draft pick on a small PG who couldn't shoot the ball worth a damn. If he ended up on the Bobcats instead of the Celtics who is to say he would have been even a starter? So much of it is the situation they're drafted into.

edit: I see DY has replied too. The J-Rich one is a perfect example. Yes they drafted Wright, but it was for the Warriors.
Sam f'n Vincent.

Its impossible to defend.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

The Bobcats are a clusterfuck.. but their drafts make more sense than the Timberwolves..

DY_nasty

The Bobcats are a clusterfuck.. but their drafts make more sense than the Timberwolves..
We made Matt Carroll the luckiest basketball fan in the world.

That is much worse than the Adam Morrison pick.

Blackace

Exactly, there are plenty of other teams with worse draft histories than the Cats.

Naw.. the Warriors have at least an identity.. They going to draft scoring no matter what and one day they will Rick Barry their way to a chip

I would have taken half a season of Brandon Roy's knees than what they got out of Morrison.

The main point with my post is that I was illustrating the shitty luck they've had as a franchise and the sheer incompetence of some of their drafting. The whole face of the franchise could have drafted Howard or Paul or both. I don't think some of their picks can be defended. Sean May had conditioning and attitude problems at UNC, for example.

And Bynum made no sense? Why is that? They selected a project known as Alexis Ajinca in one draft, but they wouldn't take on a project like Andrew Bynum in another? It makes zero sense. They've also passed on plenty of big men.

pilonv1

Naw.. the Warriors have at least an identity.. They going to draft scoring no matter what and one day they will Rick Barry their way to a chip

I mean the the first rounders 1995-2008. If it wasn't for Richardson & Jamison it would be an utter disaster. Just a string of stupid "need" picks.

So best case for the Lakers is giving up Drew for Dwight and Pau for D.Williams then hopefully getting some young players to fill up the bench. If that happens they are contenders again.

DY_nasty

I would have taken half a season of Brandon Roy's knees than what they got out of Morrison.

The main point with my post is that I was illustrating the shitty luck they've had as a franchise and the sheer incompetence of some of their drafting. The whole face of the franchise could have drafted Howard or Paul or both. I don't think some of their picks can be defended. Sean May had conditioning and attitude problems at UNC, for example.

They couldn't have drafted either.

So wtf.

Also, Rudy Gay had "attitude problems" coming out of UConn as well. Bynum's conditioning was shit too.

Again wtf.

So wtf.

Also, Rudy Gay had "attitude problems" coming out of UConn as well. Bynum's conditioning was shit too.

Again wtf.

You misread my post. The whole face of the franchise could have changed if they got the number one pick instead of Orlando, for example. So they've had shitty luck. But there's plenty of incompetence thrown in there too. Adam Morrison, Diop, and Matt Caroll. The Bobcats are one of the worst franchises in professional sports and almost as big of a laughingstock as Charlotte itself.

Blackace

I mean the the first rounders 1995-2008. If it wasn't for Richardson & Jamison it would be an utter disaster. Just a string of stupid "need" picks.

95? Joe Smith was basically a "sure thing" that year..Mike D was horrible pick. And GS has great success in the 2nd round

Blackace

So wtf.

Again wtf.

Rudy Gay was the biggest mistake of that draft.. the Rockets traded him for a Dukie? sad..

Branduil

"Hey, Billy, it's me, Mitch. What would you say if I told you you could hang up the phone one Pau Gasol richer?"

"Well, I haven't watched the NBA since 2010, but that sounds good to me. What do you want for him?"

"Oh, we just want a little player named Deron Williams"

"That's all? I was about to offer Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, and my daughter's hand in marriage."

Emwitus

"Hey, Billy, it's me, Mitch. What would you say if I told you you could hang up the phone one Pau Gasol richer?"

"Well, I haven't watched the NBA since 2010, but that sounds good to me. What do you want for him?"

"That's all? I was about to offer Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, and my daughter's hand in marriage."

Oh hai mark cuban...........I just got offered pau, wanna bid?

linsivvi

You just don't get it. The Lakers will go directly to their boss and offer the trade. Summer's coming up, Prokhorov needs some new pussies for his yacht.

As for Dwight, Shaq will change his mind and take that Magic job and will get his "best center in the league".

All according to keikaku.

Duki

Banned
So best case for the Lakers is giving up Drew for Dwight and Pau for D.Williams then hopefully getting some young players to fill up the bench. If that happens they are contenders again.

did u also know that if a meteor fell on every other team in the nba and only the lakers were left alive then they would win the chip

do it mitch

Mxrz

Sometimes I just have to admire modern Lakers fans.

I wish the Magic would say something. Anything. Feel like I'm camped outside the Pope's window waiting for Martins to waddle out and hold up a dove. Pacers are out now, hopefully they'll meet with Shaw already. (or SLOAN ffs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom