• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

A blast from the Orlando Magic's past has emerged in the team's search for a new general manager -- Shaquille O'Neal.

O'Neal will meet with the Magic next week to discuss the GM opening, multiple sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

lol wut

[Jerry] Sloan will interview with Charlotte later this week, league sources told Broussard.

The Bobcats also have permission from the Indiana Pacers to speak with assistant Brian Shaw and from the Los Angeles Lakers to speak with assistant coach Quin Snyder, the sources said. Shaw's interview will take place after the Pacers' season ends.

The sources said Charlotte also will reach out to former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. The team is not expected to make a decision until after next week's draft lottery, at the earliest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7962438/sources-shaquille-oneal-discuss-gm-opening-orlando-magic

Mxrz

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shaq would be a horrible GM. He doesn't even make sense half the time. Imagine trying to make a trade on the phone with all that mumbling going on.

Not to mention the whole silly tiff he has with Dwight about being Superman.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I bet it was a troll that one of Broussard's "sources" pulled on him, and he went hook, line, and sinker.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shaq as GM? Hahahaha.

Dude stabbed DeVos in the back and ripped out his spine when he walked all over him when he left. There ain't a chance in hell thats happening. This is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seriously the mere thought they'd even interview Shaq is so insulting. This better be some Broussard total bullshit to the max degree.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Seriously the mere thought they'd even interview Shaq is so insulting. This better be some Broussard total bullshit to the max degree.

PR move.. if they hire Shaq it means that D12 is gone already

Knicks Pre-Draft workouts over the next 2 days:

• Tu Holloway, G, 6-0, 190, Xavier, Senior

• Scoop Jardine, G, 6-2, 195, Syracuse, Senior

• Kris Middleton, F, 6-7, 217, Texas A&M, Senior

• John Shurna, F, 6-9, 215, Northwestern, Senior

• Michael Eric, C, 6-11, 240, Temple, Senior

• Bernard James, C, 6-10, 240, Florida State, Senior

• Scott Machado, G, 6-1, 180, Iona, Senior

• Oscar Bellfield, G, 6-2, 190, Las Vegas-Nevada, Senior

• Darius Johnson-Odom, G, 6-2, 215, Marquette, Senior

• Bradford Burgess, G/F, 6-6, 225, Virginia Commonwealth, Senior

• Carmeron Moore, F, 6-10, 230, Alabama at Birmingham, Senior

• Miles Plumlee, F, 6-10, 245, Duke, Senior
I really like the guys in bold.

Nori Chan

dy

if stern vetoes a deron williams signing to the lakers

and you get the 4th pick

and the hornets get the 1st pick

i can haz ur sword?

literally

Mxrz

Another day, another series of articles from blobby people I've never heard of who want to completely destroy the Magic franchise without a flying flip regarding its fans. 'Commentators' just love to play the punish the diva act now. Bleh.

Is it July yet?

It's still a 50/50 for him. IF the Lakers find someone else they want to sign, then what?

Just don't think the Lakers are going to get anything better than him for the vet min. Makes sense for them to go a full year and see if Brown can shape up his defense a bit after an offseason and a full training camp.

Btw, am I the only one thinking that the Mavs should go after Nash instead of Deron? The basketball gods would be surely pleased with Dirk and Nash trying to win a ring together for another season or two. Then when Nash retires, you can blow up the team.

Touch

Being realistic, is there any way the Hawks can get a redo? You know get Deron Williams. What exactly would need to happen for that to even be imaginable?

Meier

Did I comment on the Shaq thing yet? I saw the story yesterday but maybe I just went bug-eyed in real life.

It's fucking weird, because Shaq has always been a dick to Dwight.. I don't really get the reasoning behind it. It seems like it would be the exact opposite of a good idea while Dwight was still on the team. Beyond that, if they patched things up.. sure, I guess it could make some sense but Shaq is so underqualified and so fucking dumb, that it seems insane regardless. A former player didn't work out particularly well as our GM right before this, did it?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Being realistic, is there any way the Hawks can get a redo? You know get Deron Williams. What exactly would need to happen for that to even be imaginable?
Like I said before, change their names to the Los Angeles Lakers, and hope Deron falls for it.

Bowser

I wish the Bobcats hadn't been so reticent to trade the #5 and #13 picks for #3 to take Chris Paul :(

Touch

Like I said before, change their names to the Los Angeles Lakers, and hope Deron falls for it.
That's not realistic, but I some what agree. It's sad. There has to be a way though. It's time for Atl to get the good side of a fuck up for a change.

Touch

I think the lakers, nets, hawks and magic all need to get into a really complex trade and just see what comes from it. It's the only way.

I think the lakers, nets, hawks and magic all need to get into a really complex trade and just see what comes from it. It's the only way.

Radmanovic is coming back to Lakers!!!!!

edit: sad news is that he'd be the best shooter on the team if this happened

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19145985/magic-to-begin-scheduling-gm-interviews-friday

Among the characteristics said to be most prized by Magic CEO Alex Martins is championship experience. So while there have been no public indications that Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak will be available or wants to leave Los Angeles, Kupchak is expected to be among the first wave of candidates the Magic pursue, one of the sources said.

In addition to reaching out to free-agent candidates, the team's list also will include executives who are under contract with other teams. Martins also is expected to begin contacting teams Friday to ask permission to interview such candidates, and Kupchak -- with multiple championships on his resume -- will be among the obvious targets, sources said.

Kupchak has one year left on his contract, and made it clear after the Lakers were ousted in the second round for the second consecutive year that there will be some changes in the organization. Hiring Kupchak is not without hurdles -- front-office sources find it difficult to imagine him leaving Southern California -- but if the opportunity is right, the changes Kupchak alluded to could involve him.

The Magic also are interested in speaking with Pacers general manager David Morway and former Hornets GM Jeff Bower, both of whom have interviewed twice for the Trail Blazers' opening, and former Portland GM and current Pacers executive Kevin Pritchard, sources said.

Magic officials believe former Pacers and Knicks president Donnie Walsh would be a good fit, but sources say the team is convinced that if Walsh returns to a front-office job, it will be in Indiana in the likely event team president Larry Bird retires.

Orlando will hire the GM first and the look for a coach who is one the same page with the GM. Among the early candidates that are expected to be in the mix for the coaching opening are Golden State assistant Michael Malone; Pacers assistant Brian Shaw; and the Bucks' Scott Skiles, who is beloved in Orlando and is said to be open to leaving Milwaukee after missing the playoffs for a second straight season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JoshuaBRobbins
Spoke to a few people. Everything I'm hearing is that the #Magic have not decided to trade Dwight Howard. The new GM/Pres of Basketball Ops, after he's hired, will speak to D12 & explain his vision for future to D12, Howard's response will help dictate what the team does next.

Cool. So he's still getting traded.

pilonv1

JoshuaBRobbins
Spoke to a few people. Everything I'm hearing is that the #Magic have not decided to trade Dwight Howard. The new GM/Pres of Basketball Ops, after he's hired, will speak to D12 & explain his vision for future to D12, Howard's response will help dictate what the team does next.

Cool. So he's still getting traded.

not this circus again

Friend of mine listened in to a local Orlando sports radio show that featured Jarrod Rudolph (guy who first broke that Dwight was opting-in), shared some pretty inarresting details about SVG and Otis.

SVG had a bigger hand in personnel decisions than many thought. He apparently did not like Gortat, Pietrus, Alston or CLee and hence was one of the reasons why all those guys were eventually moved. I'm not surprised about Gortat, Pietrus or Alston because all three of those guys clashed with SVG at some point during their tenure here but SVG hating on CLee's pretty weird considering he was pretty committed to D; guess he was mad he missed that layup. I guess the implication is that SVG played favorites, therefore we can see why Dudu continued to get minutes over Ish. This is when Dwight started to feel slighted by SVG and the organization because he was pretty tight with some of those guys (especially CLee).

As for Otis, apparently he was completely and truly delusional thus confirming everyone's assumptions about him. He absolutely thought the team he put together could contend for a title and when the cracks started to show he blamed Dwight of all people for not trying hard enough. At the deadline he tried to send Dwight to the Pistons in a deal that supposedly centered around Brandon Knight and Greg Monroe but it never really got off the ground. Hearing that, I hope Otis never works in the NBA again; how in the blue fuck can a team's GM scheme against his own superstar.

thekad

Banned
I’ve already told you that Dwight Howard wants out of Orlando, and now I have another piece of info to report.

A plugged-in league source tells SheridanHoops.com that the feeling is mutual, and Orlando is prepared to trade him sooner rather than later.

The source said that when Magic team president traveled to Michigan last weekend to speak in person with owner Rich DeVos, the conclusion was reached that not only was it time for Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith to go, but Howard, too.

That means the Magic will be proactive in soliciting deals once next week’s draft lottery results are in, clearing up the lay of the land in terms of which teams can offer the most value in return.

The source spoke to SheridanHoops.com on condition of anonymity.

Mxrz

SVG had a bigger hand in personnel decisions than many thought. He apparently did not like Gortat, Pietrus, Alston or CLee and hence was one of the reasons why all those guys were eventually moved. I'm not surprised about Gortat, Pietrus or Alston because all three of those guys clashed with SVG at some point during their tenure here but SVG hating on CLee's pretty weird considering he was pretty committed to D; guess he was mad he missed that layup. I guess the implication is that SVG played favorites, therefore we can see why Dudu continued to get minutes over Ish. This is when Dwight started to feel slighted by SVG and the organization because he was pretty tight with some of those guys (especially CLee).

During the Dwight-drama-Stan-handjob-fest, people loved to ignore Stan's bullshit with other players. People really wanted to paint SVG as some kind of Saintly old school coach when he's always been a bit of a dick.

Meh. The waiting is the worst part. That and knowing Otis is still out there, somewhere.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Trading CLee was a good move for the Magic. One of the few trades where Otis actually won and won big.

Magic should blow it up. Dwight isn't sticking around. It was worth going it for this year (well only after they tricked him into staying), I actually don't disagree with Otis' reasoning all that much. Look at how far the Pacers fuckball has taken them this year.

That said Otis is still a shithead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom