• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bobcats will regret passing on Beal. I think he's possibly the only player in the draft that could average over 15 points in the draft (unfortunately, he'll be playing with Wall so his stats will be way down).

What does that even mean.

Look, Wall is a raw player. He never learned to play the right way but he's a true point, just isn't that good at the PNR game and has suspect passing in transition due to always being the best option to finish on a break. Anytime he's around good players he shows his talent. I think he's going to breakout this year. People don't understand how bad the situation was getting in Washington this year and it got worse with Jordan Crawford starting at the 2 spot.

We literally didn't have guys that could set screens last year other than maybe Seraphin. Nene and Okafor are really going to allow him more space in the half court game to operate. Beal will get plenty of opportunities.

And goddam...the Cavs could have Irving, T-Rob, and Valanciunas right now. Really gotta wonder what is wrong with that front office. To go from that to Irving/Waiters/Zeller...smh. Waiters is going to bust. Zeller is going to get his chest caved in.

Really terrible front office. LeBrons leaving was completely justified.

Cleveland's front office will look like shamans if Waiters pans out. That's the pick that will make their front office look incompetent or brilliant.

Smokey

So apparently rockets had a deal in place with kings...if trob wasn't available. But of course he was...mkg pick @ 2 fucked everybody up. Gg dy

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fuck a wake and bake

badstuff.gif

No one cares in here right if a British guy decides to suddenly follow another team right? Right? I mean Cavs... I'm going to Quantum Leap and make sure the Sonics aren't kicked out of Seattle so I can go back to all the Seattle teams again. Yes... even Seahawks... ergh.

Cho and Higgins said MKG was the top player on their board and they didn't want to risk trading the pick to Cleveland, them picking Beal, and then Washington taking MKG. I guess they must have REALLY liked MKG, they essentially gave up a pick to ensure they got him. I still wish Robinson was on our roster, but you can't have everything.

take dj

let him fuck up your lawbs

Bledsuck is better and younger.

No one cares in here right if a British guy decides to suddenly follow another team right? Right? I mean Cavs... I'm going to Quantum Leap and make sure the Sonics aren't kicked out of Seattle so I can go back to all the Seattle teams again. Yes... even Seahawks... ergh.

Clips, my man.

But you get Odom back!

Flaker trash. :(

Cavs fans with zero effort you could have had these assets after just two years of rebuilding:

Irving
Barnes
PJIII
Valanciunas

How does that make you feel?

linsivvi

Flaker trash. :(

Come on, when was the last time a player came back after leaving the Clippers? I bet that has never happened. I call this progress.

Adam, my enthusiastic West Coast friend, I'll say it again - I've enjoyed watching your team this year, and it was nice to see them get to the playoffs. Hopefully they can keep it altogether for at least another year.

Shouldn't you be like Raging and root for any team that has a British player?

Bowser

I think the idea is to have Austin Rivers convert to point and let Gordon stay where he is at except for small bursts, ala Dwayne wade where he runs the point.

Monty mentioned having him play a combo role and rivers mentioned be a facilitator and distributor at least three times in his press conferences and interviews so Im assuming they've talked about it.

iTyo6JWoVsIUv.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BJ Mullens is on the Olympic team.

How many players on your favorite team are in the Olympics? Hmm?

charsace

Cavs fans with zero effort you could have had these assets after just two years of rebuilding:

Irving
Barnes
PJIII
Valanciunas

How does that make you feel?
Barnes is overrated and PJ doesn't know how to play basketball. The knee thing gave everyone an excuse to pass on him and based on his workouts I think a lot of teams wanted to pass.

Knicks Fans Respond To The Kostas Papanikolaou Pick at #48

The comments from butthurt foreigners are amazing
ly stupid

Kostas Papanikolaou, 6'8, Small Forward, Olympiakos as of May 17th, 2012

Matt Kamalsky

A productive role-player for the Greek National team and European powerhouse Olympiakos, Kostas Papanikolaou has been a steady contributor at the EuroLeague level for two years. After a tremendous showing this past week at the Euroleague Final Four in Istanbul, making all five of his 3-pointers and scoring a Euroleague career-high 18 points in the championship game victory, Papanikolaou's stock has risen to the point that it wouldn't be surprising at all to see a team take a shot on him in the second round on draft night.

An average athlete with an excellent feel for the game, good fundamentals, and terrific maturity, Papanikolaou's profile may not jump off the page on first glance, but his size, defensive prowess, experience and productivity at the highest levels of European basketball make him one of the most intriguing 1990-born international prospects automatically eligible for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Standing 6'8 with a solid frame, Papanikolaou has excellent size for a NBA small forward, though he sees time at both forward spots for the Euroleague champions Olympiacos. He runs the floor with purpose, and is able to play above the rim when he has a head of steam, but is otherwise an average athlete. He isn't explosive from a stand-still and his limited agility makes it difficult for him to create his own shot in one-on-one situations, but his non-stop motor and willingness to initiate contact allow him to make some plays by virtue of his physical tools in the European game.

On the offensive end, Papanikolaou spends most of his time out on the perimeter, even if quite a few of his possessions end at the rim as a result of his off-ball movement. Not a terribly assertive scorer, Papanikolaou functions as a complementary player, seldom forcing the issue and making smart reads playing off his teammates. He's turned the ball over just 30 times so far this year in nearly 1000 minutes, about once for every 40 Euroleague minutes he plays.

Nearly half of Papanikolaou's touches come in spot-up situations according to Synergy Sports Technology, and the lefty has been a sporadic catch and shoot player in recent seasons. He is the definition of a rhythm shooter, seldom making a contested shot or a long jumper that he doesn't simply step into, but he's knocked down 39% of his catch and shoot jumpers this season. Showing a quick release and solid shooting mechanics, he's been a little streaky at times this year, making just 34% of his 3-pointers on the season. Considering how heavily his contributions offensively revolve around this part of his game, he'll need to continue improving his consistency to reach his full potential in the European game or otherwise, but his showing this past weekend at the Final Four was clearly a major and very visible step forward.

Apart from his touches as a spot-up shooter, most of Papanikolaou's shots come right at the rim. He isn't adept at creating his own shot, and is only a decent ball-handler, even if he does occasionally push the ball up the floor himself or beat his man and get to the rim with a straight-line drive. Extremely active off the ball, Papanikolaou proves to be a capable finisher at the rim, using his body well and showing good touch. He struggles to finish over and around athletic shot-blockers, but gets the job done in the paint at this level with timing and smarts, converting 60% of his field goal attempts inside the arc.

Defensively, Papanikolaou is rock solid at the Euroleague level. By no means is he a lock down defender, but he competes every possession, always boxes out, makes some plays in the passing lanes thanks to his anticipation, and does a terrific job pestering his man off the ball. Spending time defending both forward spots, Papaniolaou is better suited to defend the three, as his lack of size and tremendous physical strength can be a challenge for him in the post. His average lateral quickness may render him slightly less effective at the NBA level, but his fundamentals and basketball IQ would surely help him hold his own against better athletes. He's also a solid rebounder, particularly on the offensive end due to his activity level.

One of the most mature and polished players in this year's group of automatically eligible international prospects, Papanikolaou is by no means a glamorous player. He may not be an aggressive enough scorer for certain NBA coaches, but his size, defensive prowess, ability to accept and fill an important role, knack for playing low-mistake basketball, and reputation as a winner at every level he's played at make him one of the most intriguing role-playing prospects available in the second round.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zC5B0pjv
http://www.draftexpress.com
Should be a nice NBA player ... in 2014.

Also NY Post is such a rag. Nevermind the inflammatory rhetoric (Weis 2.0) and rampant "OMG THEY BLEW THE PICK!", they showed George Printzels instead of Kostas Papanikolaou's photo in the article!

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/greek_mythology_0fkJs2Ng6YN6aRaZ8ReMhI

charsace

Knicks Fans Respond To The Kostas Papanikolaou Pick at #48

The comments from butthurt foreigners are amazing
ly stupid

Should be a nice NBA player ... in 2014.

Also NY Post is such a rag. Nevermind the inflammatory rhetoric (Weis 2.0) and rampant "OMG THEY BLEW THE PICK!", they showed George Printzels instead of Kostas Papanikolaou's photo in the article!

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/greek_mythology_0fkJs2Ng6YN6aRaZ8ReMhI
OKC was going to pick him in the first if they didn't draft PJ.

And I think the Warriors made the worst pick of the draft. Barnes is still living off his HS hype. I don't understand how people don't see through this guy. He's gonna be Marvin Williams.

DY_nasty

OKC was going to pick him in the first if they didn't draft PJ.

And I think the Warriors made the worst pick of the draft. Barnes is still living off his HS hype. I don't understand how people don't see through this guy. He's gonna be Marvin Williams.

Marvin Williams wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't go #2.

At #7? On a team that won't need him to do any heavy lifting? Its solid pick. Just like he was a solid player at UNC. He won't be spectacular, but he's definitely good enough.

charsace

Marvin Williams wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't go #2.

At #7? On a team that won't need him to do any heavy lifting? Its solid pick. Just like he was a solid player at UNC. He won't be spectacular, but he's definitely good enough.

You can get Marvin Williams' out side of lotto almost every year. You don't pick that in the top 10. And Williams plays better defense than Barnes. Barnes is still living off his HS hype.

DY_nasty

You can get Marvin Williams' out side of lotto almost every year. You don't pick that in the top 10. And Williams plays better defense than Barnes. Barnes is still living off his HS hype.

How is he living off hype at this point, Chars?

He was the best player on the 2nd best team in the nation.

charsace

How is he living off hype at this point, Chars?

He was the best player on the 2nd best team in the nation.

No he wasn't. Zeller, Hensen and Marshall were the best players on NC. Barnes was a mediocre jump shooter that made his living playing off of Marshall running the show and Zeller's post play. He wasn't the man of anything. You could have replaced Barnes with a lot of players and they would have had the same impact. Or you could replace Barnes with a guy like Jeremy Lamb and NC probably wins the title.

I think the Wizards are a lock for the playoffs if they stay healthy, anyone else agree?

Wall
Beal
Singleton
Nene
Okafor

with Crawford, Seraphin, Ariza, and Vesely coming off the bench is a pretty solid team; especially for the east.

DY_nasty

No he wasn't. Zeller, Hensen and Marshall were the best players on NC. Barnes was a mediocre jump shooter that made his living playing off of Marshall running the show and Zeller's post play. He wasn't the man of anything. You could have replaced Barnes with a lot of players and they would have had the same impact. Or you could replace Barnes with a guy like Jeremy Lamb and NC probably wins the title.

Zeller and Henson wouldn't have been anything other than above average bigs if it weren't for Roy Williams offense. Zeller is pathetic and Henson is negated the second someone puts a shoulder into his chest.

And Barnes was putting up the same numbers with Turnover Jesus running the point. Marshall helped the bigs more than anyone else.
I think the Wizards are a lock for the playoffs if they stay healthy, anyone else agree?

Wall
Beal
Singleton
Nene
Okafor

with Crawford, Seraphin, Ariza, and Vesely coming off the bench is a pretty solid team; especially for the east.

That team is fucking terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom