• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
WHAT?!?!?! Deng was HORRENDOUS after the wrist injury. I'd much rather that he have it and miss some months than not. Even when Rose gets back, it'll take months for him to get back into real shape. Next year is a loss. Get the surgery done, and ease the pain.

Or better yet, TRADE DENG!!!!!!!!

No, apparently the wrist is also healable through rehab. Surgery was just an option. It'll be okay.

But yes, TRADE DENG.

Fox318

Awesome.

More white people.

Seriously wtf is happening

vuY7A.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No, apparently the wrist is also healable through rehab. Surgery was just an option. It'll be okay.

But yes, TRADE DENG.
How much rehab could he really have if he's playing in the olympics? Maybe it is healable, but will they give the time to do so?

We're all in agreement here, TRADE DENG!!!

jman2050

Wait, what?
SvNRL.gif

SI said:
The reality show that kicked off two years ago—”when I sat up there and decided I was going to take my talents to South Beach”—reached its climax Thursday night, as he gathered his teammates at American Airlines Arena before Game 5. “This is what I told them,” he says. “If someone came to you right now and told you, ‘If you don’t win tonight you won’t see your family again,’ how would you play? Approach this game like your family is in danger. How bad do you want to see your family again?”

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
How much rehab could he really have if he's playing in the olympics? Maybe it is healable, but will they give the time to do so?

We're all in agreement here, TRADE DENG!!!

Olympics start end of July right? We lost our last playoff game on May 10th. He'll have around 3 months now to have gotten rehab in.

Bowser

You're right on about his shooting. It's a BS criticism, it isn't true. He was nailing 3's at a high percentage in the later half of the season. The people complaining about his shot clearly didn't watch many of his games this past year.

Regarding his D though, that is a legit criticism. He lacks lateral speed so it's going to be really tough for him to stay in front of quick guards. He is 6'4 though, so he will at least be able to guard jump shooters effectively. He won't have a chance in hell of guarding someone like Westbrook though, but that's not exactly damning because most other PGs in the league can't either.

He can improve his shooting, but he's a facilitator period. He improved shooting from outside last season - if that thug from Creighton didn't bowl him over on that layup, he might have gone higher.

My thing is that he's not a guy that can cut to the rack as a PG - even when he had space in college with Barnes, Zeller and Henson as threats. He is taller, but he's a guy with a narrow frame - meaning I'm doubtful he can bulk up. He's not particularly quick laterally. He was very one dimensional at UNC, and I don't know if he's athletic enough to provide much upside.

I mostly agree with what's been said above. The criticism that Marshall can't shoot is overstated - on a team with Barnes, Henson and Zeller (not to mention Bullock as well), Marshall didn't need to score. He has shown flashes of being able to score when called upon (latter half of the season, especially the game against NC State, in the ACC tournament and the first two games of the NCAA tournament) and his 3 point shot progressively improved through the season.

But yeah, defensively, he's a liability, no doubt. He'll need to be given good defensive help/support and will be eaten alive by faster PGs, but his length should allow him to fare well at defending jump shots.

I think he'll be a good pro, but I don't know if it will happen in Phoenix. He's much more suited on a team with established first and second (and maybe even third) options such as Miami, OKC, LAL, etc.

So apparently the Wolves are going hard after Pau Gasol. The pretenses should be dropped now, Khan is building a team with the best white players he can get his hands on. The man is truly crazy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So apparently the Wolves are going hard after Pau Gasol. The pretenses should be dropped now, Khan is building a team with the best white players he can get his hands on. The man is truly crazy.

He's also still a really damn good basketball player who would be a massive upgrade over what they have right now.

I don't want to believe it is intentional, but by signing Shved, 5 of the team's top 6 would be white. And in 2012, that's just bizarre.
Roster next year could be:

Jose Barea
Kevin Love
Nikola Pekovic
Luke Ridnour
Ricky Rubio
Chase Budinger
Robbie Hummel
Wayne Ellington
Wesley Johnson
Malcolm Lee
Pau Gasol
Jamal Crawford
Shved
TO BE FILLED
TO BE FILLED

9/13 are white guys. And that's assuming Crawford is signed.

Although would they even sign Craw if they got Shved?

Emwitus

The Pau Gasol infatuation is weird to me. The Wolves need wing help, not more bigs.

Is it really? He won two championships as the defacto second best player on a team. And the wolves run a triangle type offense so it should be a good fit. Plus his been the scape goat for LA for two years straight now even though kobe has been playing like a dimwit, bynum like a pre-teen and artest like a fat bum....not forgetting the terrible bench.

cashman

Banned
Probably the best defender on that team already. Dude was the reason Florida State was one of the best defensive teams in the nation.

He can definitely spell Marion for 10 minutes a night right away.

yeah I've heard good things about him talent wise. It's just more me being annoyed at Rick's refusal to develop younger players.

Being a Bobcat's fan must feel like Groundhog Day. They shed Gerald Wallace only to pick up a poor version of him in the draft. Next year they'll draft a poor man's Stephen Jackson and bring Larry Brown back.

diehard

Fleer
Being a Bobcat's fan must feel like Groundhog Day. They shed Gerald Wallace only to pick up a poor version of him in the draft. Next year they'll draft a poor man's Stephen Jackson and bring Larry Brown back.

I was listening to the draft on the way home and the local radio guys were killing them.

"Michael Jordan just drafted Ronnie Brewer at #2"

You're right on about his shooting. It's a BS criticism, it isn't true. He was nailing 3's at a high percentage in the later half of the season. The people complaining about his shot clearly didn't watch many of his games this past year.

Regarding his D though, that is a legit criticism. He lacks lateral speed so it's going to be really tough for him to stay in front of quick guards. He is 6'4 though, so he will at least be able to guard jump shooters effectively. He won't have a chance in hell of guarding someone like Westbrook though, but that's not exactly damning because most other PGs in the league can't either.
Yeah I noticed his shooting percentages were actually pretty decent, he just didn't take a lot of shots but he was efficient. If he can shoot decent, he'll basically be a lower quality Nash. Floor general that makes everyone else better and can score but a complete defensive liability. He won't be as good at Nash in either area, but Nash is a future HOF so that's to be expected. I think going from one great passer to another will make the transition a little bit more comfortable.
He can improve his shooting, but he's a facilitator period. He improved shooting from outside last season - if that thug from Creighton didn't bowl him over on that layup, he might have gone higher.

My thing is that he's not a guy that can cut to the rack as a PG - even when he had space in college with Barnes, Zeller and Henson as threats. He is taller, but he's a guy with a narrow frame - meaning I'm doubtful he can bulk up. He's not particularly quick laterally. He was very one dimensional at UNC, and I don't know if he's athletic enough to provide much upside.

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer a facilitator. That to me is what a PG should be and it's disappointing to see so many of the new gen PG's just turn into scoring machines. If he can become a top flight facilitator, what better piece to start building around? We're finally going into complete rebuild mode so this seems like a great way to start. If he's as cerebral as he's made out to be, he has massive upside. Just build the team around him adding weapons from the early draft picks we'll start getting next year on and we'll be on our way. Not being able to penetrate at all would be a shame but if he can improve his shooting, he can still keep defenses honest. Players with high basketball IQ tend to stay in the league a lot longer than those that rely on athleticism.

Bowser

I was listening to the draft on the way home and the local radio guys were killing them.

"Michael Jordan just drafted Ronnie Brewer at #2"

Seems like all the analyst-types love the pick. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of MKG, but he's a guy that I'm confident will always be a rotation player due to his work ethic and hustle. You want more than just a rotation player from a #2 pick, obviously, but really, no one in this draft outside of Davis was a sure superstar talent. I would've rather opted for Beal or Barnes because we're sorely lacking on offense, but it's not like we were a defensive juggernaut either and the MKG pick seems to be as much about his personality and instilling a new culture for the team as it is about talent.

I mostly agree with what's been said above. The criticism that Marshall can't shoot is overstated - on a team with Barnes, Henson and Zeller (not to mention Bullock as well), Marshall didn't need to score. He has shown flashes of being able to score when called upon (latter half of the season, especially the game against NC State, in the ACC tournament and the first two games of the NCAA tournament) and his 3 point shot progressively improved through the season.

But yeah, defensively, he's a liability, no doubt. He'll need to be given good defensive help/support and will be eaten alive by faster PGs, but his length should allow him to fare well at defending jump shots.

I think he'll be a good pro, but I don't know if it will happen in Phoenix. He's much more suited on a team with established first and second (and maybe even third) options such as Miami, OKC, LAL, etc.

No reason it can't happen here, we're going into rebuild mode and after Nash is gone, should be getting top 5 picks the next few years. As Giri said, we draft fairly well so I think we can build a good team. Poor Marshall will have to endure 2012 with scrubs though.

Defense is one of the things I loved about Dragic and I wish we had in our PG but if Marshall can make everyone better, it's Nash 2.0 and I can live with that.

Bowser

No reason it can't happen here, we're going into rebuild mode and after Nash is gone, should be getting top 5 picks the next few years. As Giri said, we draft fairly well so I think we can build a good team. Poor Marshall will have to endure 2012 with scrubs though.

Defense is one of the things I loved about Dragic and I wish we had in our PG but if Marshall can make everyone better, it's Nash 2.0 and I can live with that.

That's true, if you can surround him with top 5 picks, he could work in Phoenix. The best thing about him is he feeds off people doubting him and is determined to succeed as much as someone like MKG. If he doesn't do well, it won't be for a lack of effort and work on his part. I'm rooting for him. He only played two seasons at Carolina but he's one of my favorites to ever don Carolina blue.

The criticisms MKG are getting are bunk. He along with Davis, Beal, and Robinson were the consensus best players in the draft. He might not have been the guy you thought the Bobcats should pick, but it is not anywhere close to being to a pick worthy of ridicule. It doesn't surprise me one bit that the radio jockeys in Utah are having fun with it, it's their only solace after what Jordan did to them in the 90's.

masud

Banned

Bad strategy. My 'all white all stars' never do shit in fantasy.

DY really thinks Barnes was better last year than Zeller or Henson, what? Offensively they were about even I guess...Defensively this isn't even a question or debate and that gave Zeller and Henson a huge edge over Barnes.

Can any of you guys that watch College ball give me your opinion on Marshall?

From what I've read, it sounds like he's an amazing passer with fantastic court vision and leadership qualities. A great floor general but he can't play D or shoot. That basically sounds like Rubio although Rubio is obviously at a much higher level given the level he played at in Europe compared to NCAA. It also sounds like his shooting might be underrated as he had ample weapons at NC and wasn't forced to shoot much. I know we had him swing by for workouts twice so I imagine his shooting ability is something coaching can address and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. He also has nice size for a PG.

Nah, he's a shitty shooter, was never guarded and still shot a low percentage outside of one hot streak. He's also a really terrible finisher at the rim because he's a terrible athlete.

charsace

And Mayo needs a change of location. There was real bad blood between guys on that team. Its the reason why Lowry got traded from the grizz. Lowry and Gay were fighting with Mayo and Conley for control of the team. Mayo leaving the grizz has been foregone conclusion once they signed Rudy to that big contract. Grizz should have traded him when his value was high.

Bulls should give it a shot. He's going to command more than MLE, though.

They should be waiting outside his house already

Would be a great fit in my opinion as long as he doesn't have to handle the ball much

I remember when OJ Mayo was drawing magic comparisons in high school lol

SUPREME1

Banned
He's banned of course. Trollin' on Gaming IIRC.

R.IP. TO LAKERS-AGE LEGEND AND TRUE GENTLEMAN... CAPLOVINGSTEAM

FREE THE CAPTAIN!.........................................FREE THE CAPTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!.........................................FREE THE CAPTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!.........................................FREE THE......
FREE THE CAPTAIN!.........................................FREE THE CAPTAIN!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!.........................................FREE THE CAPTAIN!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!....................................................CAPTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!....................................................CAPTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE THE CAPTAIN!FREE THE CAPTAIN!....FREE THE CAPTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I'MA RIOT FOR YOU BABY BOO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom