• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

What do you mean? It's the most entertaining part of every draft.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of laughing, but damn.

"He's still learning how to play basketball"

"He might never play in the league"

:jnc

Edit: I am sad that there was never a Twitter reaction from Simmons to the Fab Melo pick.

Time for a breakdown of the Cream Team.

White
Jose Barea
Kevin Love
Darko Milicic
Brad Miller
Nikola Pekovic
Luke Ridnour
Ricky Rubio
Chase Budinger
Robbie Hummel

Not White:
Michael Beasley
Wayne Ellington
Wesley Johnson
Malcolm Lee
Anthony Randolph
Anthony Tolliver
Martell Webster
Derrick Williams

Now, here is a list of guys who could be gone next year:

Beasley
Ant Rand
Webster
Tolliver
Darkeem (Amnesty)
Miller (retiring)

I'm assuming the Wolves will sign Crawford for next year, so the roster might look like

Jose Barea
Kevin Love
Nikola Pekovic
Luke Ridnour
Ricky Rubio
Chase Budinger
Robbie Hummel
Wayne Ellington
Wesley Johnson
Malcolm Lee
Derrick Williams
Crawford
TO BE FILLED
TO BE FILLED
TO BE FILLED

I guess that's not as bad as I thought. But still...My FO seems obsessed with white guys.

Its funny how the rockets are essentially in purgatory for not being bad or a badly run organization. I like lamb and royce as picks tho.

Motherfuckin asik doe man

I think we should jettison Lowry, Martin, and Scola for literally nothing if we have too and just run with the young guys.

Dragic (if he'll even resign) /Livingston
Lamb / Lee
Parsons / Jones / Morris
Patterson / White / Leuer
Camby (just to be a body) / Donuts / Smith

Flash

I think we should jettison Lowry, Martin, and Scola for literally nothing if we have too and just run with the young guys.

Dragic (if he'll even resign) /Livingston
Lamb / Lee
Parsons / Jones / Morris
Patterson / White / Leuer
Camby (just to be a body) / Donuts / Smith

I'd keep Lowry, but guys like Martin and Scola are terrible for non-contenders.

71039f99-4dab-47aa-89b2-c7fa91e2cf64.jpg

This draft has been a success.

Pat Riley explains decision to trade first-round pick
:

Riley said that he chose to “defer our pick and our asset to next year. The players that we had on our board were not there at the time, and we felt we had a great option with Philly to get a future first next year.” That pick is lottery-protected for each of the next three years, but as Riley, “could be 10 or 11 (slots) better that what we had this year.”

– Riley said the trade didn’t have anything to do with the luxury tax, but the issue is that “roster spots are valuable, and we weren’t so sure someone could make our roster,” so better to have that spot available for a veteran.

– Riley said that center Justin Hamilton, the pick at No. 45, could go overseas. Miami is planning to bring back shot-blocker Jarvis Varnado, a former second-round pick, over from Europe, to play in summer league and possibly compete for a roster spot. Either way, don’t expect to see Hamilton in a Heat uniform this season.

– Riley said while Hamilton “is not an above-the-rim player,” he “has quick feet, takes up space.” The comparison, because of shooting ability? Michael Doleac, who played on the Heat’s 2006 championship team. The Heat had Hamilton in for a workout, and Riley felt the LSU product was the “best big on the floor that day.” Riley said he would have traded the No. 45 pick if there wasn’t anyone he liked.

– The major reason for the trade? It gives Miami a first-round pick as a potential trade asset, which could come in handy with the Heat missing its 2013 and 2015 first-rounders (due to the LeBron James sign-and-trade) and not allowed to deal its 2014 first-rounder.

Up there with the best we could have did so I aint mad. The old washed up veterans are more of our kind of draft anyway.

SamuraiX-

Thomas Robinson said:
“(I’m going to bring) a winning mentality – no matter how old I am, a rookie or not, I’m not letting (anybody) relax,” says the 6-foot-10 forward. “It’s not cool to lose, so I’m going to try and bring that attitude.”

sogud

When does Summer league start? Is it next week or the week after next week?

Kevtones

Meyers Leonard moves real well and he's got a jumper. What stands out to me is his passing ability - quite good.

Really stoked about Portland's draft outside of the pick-for-cash moment. I think Barton makes the team easily and I'll venture he may be the most successful of our 3 new players.

Pkaz01

I don't know much about Kendall Marshall but I am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I always preferred past first point guards to the scoring ones anyway.

When does free agency start? I really hope the suns go hard for eric gordon, or brandon roy. Pisses me off everytime i see a rumor about teams going for Roy when phoenix would be perfect for him.

I don't know much about Kendall Marshall but I am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I always preferred past first point guards to the scoring ones anyway.

When does free agency start? I really hope the suns go hard for eric gordon, or brandon roy. Pisses me off everytime i see a rumor about teams going for Roy when phoenix would be perfect for him.

Free agency starts Saturday night, 9pm if you're in AZ so obviously midnight for the East Coast. Can't actually sign players until the 11th though. We aren't getting Gordon, sadly. NO plans on keeping him and trying to run him point. There's a decent chance he might not workout at that position and they'll try to trade him either at the deadline, or next off season. I wouldn't expect much this off season after the comments Babby has made recently. Supposedly we are a top contender for Allen but that better be bullshit. The last thing we need is to tie up a bunch of cap for an aging player on his last contract. We need to rebuild with youth, Allen is a piece to put a would be chip contender over the top.

Pkaz01

Free agency starts Saturday night, 9pm if you're in AZ so obviously midnight for the East Coast. Can't actually sign players until the 11th though. We aren't getting Gordon, sadly. NO plans on keeping him and trying to run him point. There's a decent chance he might not workout at that position and they'll try to trade him either at the deadline, or next off season. I wouldn't expect much this off season after the comments Babby has made recently. Supposedly we are a top contender for Allen but that better be bullshit. The last thing we need is to tie up a bunch of cap for an aging player on his last contract. We need to rebuild with youth, Allen is a piece to put a would be chip contender over the top.

Oh i see, yea I don't think we will get him either as much as I wish we did, should be an interesting back court with rivers and gordon. I saw the allen articles and I am against it as well completely pointless whether nash stays or goes we need youth. As much as people hated Kerr when he ran the suns at least he took some risks and some of them really payed off. I just feel like this new management is too complacent and doesn't do shit. Just Sarver's puppets milking mediocrity for as long as they can.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The best drafted teams this year are

1) Hornets (Hard to mess that one up)
2) Rockets
3) Pistions
4) Wizards
5) Warriors

Honorable mentions Cats, Bucks, Kings and Blazers

Worst draft Cavs 76ers Pacers

Biggest steal PJIII at 28 and Quincy Miller in the mid 2nd

Jonm1010

Banned
I think the idea is to have Austin Rivers convert to point and let Gordon stay where he is at except for small bursts, ala Dwayne wade where he runs the point.

Monty mentioned having him play a combo role and rivers mentioned be a facilitator and distributor at least three times in his press conferences and interviews so Im assuming they've talked about it.

pilonv1

I'll pay to watch summer league. Especially if Klay plays.

If not, I'll still have Barnes, Jenkins, Tyler, Green and Ezeli.

edit: anyone got a link for the Summer League Pass? Can't see it.

Raptors picking Ross at #8 was probably the biggest reach in the draft. He would have probably been available at #14. Raptors fans melting down on Realgm.

h3ro

Best suit of the night. Three piece that had peaked lapels with embroidered boutonniere? Oh my.

Also, fun fact regarding the Knicks new conquest to recreate the magic of Maciej Lampe and Slavko Vranes...

The Papanicolaou test (also called Pap smear, Pap test, cervical smear, or smear test) is a screening test used to detect potentially pre-cancerous and cancerous processes in the endocervical canal (transformation zone) of the female reproductive system. Changes can be treated, thus preventing cervical cancer. The test was invented by and named after the prominent Greek doctor Georgios Papanikolaou.

We already won.

Brinbe

Raptors picking Ross at #8 was probably the biggest reach in the draft. He would have probably been available at #14. Raptors fans melting down on Realgm.
Those fans are idiots and there's not much separating 8-14 in a flat draft like this, which is a major reason why there were so few trades up or down at all.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Those fans are idiots and there's not much separating 8-14 in a flat draft like this, which is a major reason why there were so few trades up or down at all.

Not as bad as the fan here that said Ross couldn't dribble... He has great handle.. But takes too many bad shots..

Brinbe

Not as bad as the fan here that said Ross couldn't dribble... He has great handle.. But takes too many bad shots..

Yeah, that's definitely a concern. He's not perfect by any means. But I just love his game and fit for what we're doing with this team, especially if we sign Nash. And I'll gladly take Ross with his defense/long-range shooting ability over the craptastic wings we currently have on this roster.

ryan-ts

That was me. People who have seen Ross play more than once say he loses control of the ball at times during a game. You shouldn't be doing that as a shooting guard. On draft night it was repeated by multiple places that he's not the kind of guy who can create his own shot. He does have a nice crossover but that doesn't mean anything close to great handles.

edit: I'm going to support Ross 100% from now on, let me be clear.

The Bobcats will regret passing on Beal. I think he's possibly the only player in the draft that could average over 15 points in the draft (unfortunately, he'll be playing with Wall so his stats will be way down).

thefro

lol, Vogel on Miles Plumlee

"I think it's a home run. To get a guy like this at the 26th pick, clearly, he's the best dirty-work guy in the draft. He's a blue-collar guy who falls right into our team's identity, which we rebuilt around defensive rebounding, and this kid's specialty is defensive rebounding. Nobody plays harder. He'll be all over the floor, he'll be diving for loose balls, running the floor, and he's an underrated athlete for a 7-footer who gives us depth up front.

"Our first scouting meeting, I jokingly asked, 'Are there any Jeff Fosters in the draft?' and four of our scouts said simultaneously, 'Miles Plumlee.' We've had our eye on him ever since. I know he's been a personal favorite of Larry Bird. We had a hunch about him. And his personal workout blew us away.''

And Bird

"He's more athletic than he showed at Duke, and he'll have a better opportunity here,'' Bird said. "He's not a great scorer, but he can defend the pick-and-roll, and that's been one of our problems. . . . I just feel like he's Jeff Foster, and that's good enough for us.

"It's not a sexy pick, by any means, but when you see him play, you'll finally get it.''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom