• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're never going to beat the Heat, but Wall and Beal are something they can build around long term. The Okafor/Ariza signings were retarded, but they definitely upgrade their roster for the next year or two.

charsace

Zeller and Henson wouldn't have been anything other than above average bigs if it weren't for Roy Williams offense. Zeller is pathetic and Henson is negated the second someone puts a shoulder into his chest.

And Barnes was putting up the same numbers with Turnover Jesus running the point. Marshall helped the bigs more than anyone else.

That team is fucking terrible.
I think Barnes looked worse before Marshall was running the show.

What makes Barnes better than Harkless as a prospect? Harkless is better in isolation and in the post and is a mediocre shooter like Barnes. But one is rated top 5 while the other isn't?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Beal won't even be worth mentioning for another year or two.
I think Barnes looked worse before Marshall was running the show.

What makes Barnes better than Harkless as a prospect? Harkless is better in isolation and in the post and is a mediocre shooter like Barnes. But one is rated top 5 while the other isn't?

4ujpx.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
And Barnes was putting up the same numbers with Turnover Jesus running the point. Marshall helped the bigs more than anyone else.

Thats completely untrue and you know it. Barnes saw a sizeable increase in every offensive stat when Marshall took the helm. Barnes was a joke when Drew was your PG. I know this because we all enjoyed laughing at how overrated he was

DY_nasty

Thats completely untrue and you know it. Barnes saw a sizeable increase in every offensive stat when Marshall took the helm. Barnes was a joke when Drew was your PG. I know this because we all enjoyed laughing at how overrated he was

Strickland had a bit to do with it too.

Still, Barnes level of play remained pretty much the same. The rest of the team? Marshall definitely helped. Especially when Roy went full LBtard last year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Some fun analytic stuff involving the big men from the draft last night.

-Speaking of Tyler Zeller, he was clearly one of the most impressive big men prospects in this study, as he not only shouldered a fairly heavy offensive load (14.4 possessions per game, 7th among the 26 evaluated), but did so very efficiently (1.086, 4th best). He ranks as the second most efficient scorer (1.673) in transition situations after Meyers Leonard, despite seeing twice as much usage in that category.

Zeller saw the third most possessions in this study with his back to the basket, and drew fouls at the 4th best rate once there. While not taking all that many jump-shots (just under one per game), he ranked as the 4th best shooter among the 26 big men, at a solid 1.031 points per shot.

-Besides Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller, the next more impressive big man in this study is likely Andrew Nicholson. Nicholson shouldered a heavy offensive load for St. Bonaventure (3rd highest of the 26 prospects), but still ranks as the 5th most efficient scorer overall. The fact that he was so effective with his back to the basket (5th best post scorer) and facing the basket (#1 in overall jump-shot attempts, 2nd most efficient shooter at 1.096), and with the ball (#3 in total isolation attempts, #3 in efficiency) is impressive. Nicholson is effective in pretty much every area we looked at, highlighting his extremely high skill-level.

and on the other end of the spectrum

-Andre Drummond, on the other hand, ranks fairly poorly in this analysis, not really standing out in any major areas. His overall efficiency (.925) is 6th worst among the 26 big men, as he rarely gets to the free throw line (2nd worst), and he is the worst back to the basket scorer (.578 PPP) in this group by a very wide margin.

Talon

Zeller's an efficient scorer from the block, but he needs to beef up. I think his issue will be foul trouble. He's quick to get to a spot, but he won't be able to exploit that in the NBA.

Harrison's problem isn't his jumper. It's his inability to get to the rack with regularity. He was second to last for all wings in PPS around the rim.

DY_nasty

lol no. I want your breakdown of them.

Why should I have to reiterate what countless scouts have said? If Maurice was that good - his own coach might've said something about him.
Zeller's an efficient scorer from the block, but he needs to beef up. I think his issue will be foul trouble. He's quick to get to a spot, but he won't be able to exploit that in the NBA.

Harrison's problem isn't his jumper. It's his inability to get to the rack with regularity. He was second to last for all wings in PPS around the rim.

Zeller will never get position in the NBA.

Never.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Another draft for charsace to shine. Will he be right? Will he be wrong? Find out next season!

He'll be wrong.

Were there any trades last night? Anything interesting go down?

Saw the first 10 picks then had to head out for the evening.

The Cavs traded 3 picks to Dallas to get Tyler Zeller and the Heat traded their lst round pick ( Arnett Moultrie) to Philly for a future 1st round pick. The Lakers also bought Darius Johnson-Odom in the 2nd from Dallas.

DY_nasty

I can't believe a team actually moved up to get Zeller.

Roy Williams is gonna use this to recruit every big, spineless, stiff in America.

Smokey

I'm getting a Texans vibe from the Rockets. Texans were average for years before finally getting players and becoming relevant in the NFL. Most of that had to do with Wade coming in. Maybe Les needs to hire an assistant GM.

Listening to sports talk this morning pretty much everyone is in agreement that last night sucked. People on the outside say the Rockets had a good draft...well if you look at the team and what these picks are coming into..they really didn't. Lamb is the one good pick of the 3 from what I see.

We have close to double digits of forwards on the team AND NO CENTER. From the owners comments he thinks Morey is doing a good job...so he's going to be around for a while it seems.

feelsbad

charsace

I'm getting a Texans vibe from the Rockets. Texans were average for years before finally getting players and becoming relevant in the NFL. Most of that had to do with Wade coming in. Maybe Les needs to hire an assistant GM.

Listening to sports talk this morning pretty much everyone is in agreement that last night sucked. People on the outside say the Rockets had a good draft...well if you look at the team and what these picks are coming into..they really didn't. Lamb is the one good pick of the 3 from what I see.

We have close to double digits of forwards on the team AND NO CENTER. From the owners comments he thinks Morey is doing a good job...so he's going to be around for a while it seems.

feelsbad
Morey is a dickhead who think's he's smarter than everyone else. He's like the dude in portland that drafted Oden and was always looking to make lopsided trades and in the end pissed off his bosses in portland and got shit canned. Pritchard. That's who he's like. Morey thinks he's smarter than all the basketball guys. He gathers talent and does nothing with it and tries to build trades around dudes that are old or aren't valued by other teams.

Can any of you guys that watch College ball give me your opinion on Marshall?

From what I've read, it sounds like he's an amazing passer with fantastic court vision and leadership qualities. A great floor general but he can't play D or shoot. That basically sounds like Rubio although Rubio is obviously at a much higher level given the level he played at in Europe compared to NCAA. It also sounds like his shooting might be underrated as he had ample weapons at NC and wasn't forced to shoot much. I know we had him swing by for workouts twice so I imagine his shooting ability is something coaching can address and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. He also has nice size for a PG.

From what I've read, it sounds like he's an amazing passer with fantastic court vision and leadership qualities. A great floor general but he can't play D or shoot. That basically sounds like Rubio although Rubio is obviously at a much higher level given the level he played at in Europe compared to NCAA. It also sounds like his shooting might be underrated as he had ample weapons at NC and wasn't forced to shoot much. I know we had him swing by for workouts twice so I imagine his shooting ability is something coaching can address and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. He also has nice size for a PG.

You're right on about his shooting. It's a BS criticism, it isn't true. He was nailing 3's at a high percentage in the later half of the season. The people complaining about his shot clearly didn't watch many of his games this past year.

Regarding his D though, that is a legit criticism. He lacks lateral speed so it's going to be really tough for him to stay in front of quick guards. He is 6'4 though, so he will at least be able to guard jump shooters effectively. He won't have a chance in hell of guarding someone like Westbrook though, but that's not exactly damning because most other PGs in the league can't either.

jjasper

Dont know why you guys are surprised. I told you that would happen. Only reason it wouldn't have is if Pera was ready to come in and start paying the tax immediately.

I am sure now that he is away from Hollins he will be amazing.

Talon

He can improve his shooting, but he's a facilitator period. He improved shooting from outside last season - if that thug from Creighton didn't bowl him over on that layup, he might have gone higher.

My thing is that he's not a guy that can cut to the rack as a PG - even when he had space in college with Barnes, Zeller and Henson as threats. He is taller, but he's a guy with a narrow frame - meaning I'm doubtful he can bulk up. He's not particularly quick laterally. He was very one dimensional at UNC, and I don't know if he's athletic enough to provide much upside.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just heard on the radio from Tom Thibodeau that Luol Deng will NOT have surgery on his wrist and will be set to go for Training camp. Hell yes. We can easily be a top 4 East team without Derrick, then take a stab at making some noise after Rose gets back halfway through the season.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Mayo didn't get a qualifying offer from the Griz. So he's now an unrestricted free agent.

The Wolves really must go after him. The elusive "young veteran" Kahn talks about and he plays a position of need.

And it throws people off the weird whiteness thing going on.

Fox318

Just heard on the radio from Tom Thibodeau that Luol Deng will NOT have surgery on his wrist and will be set to go for Training camp. Hell yes. We can easily be a top 4 East team without Derrick, then take a stab at making some noise after Rose gets back halfway through the season.

Uv3Sc.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
WHAT?!?!?! Deng was HORRENDOUS after the wrist injury. I'd much rather that he have it and miss some months than not. Even when Rose gets back, it'll take months for him to get back into real shape. Next year is a loss. Get the surgery done, and ease the pain.

Or better yet, TRADE DENG!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom