• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kahn gives into Pau lust you better believe he's going to be on the losing end of that swap.

It's Kahn for fucks sake.
I have reason to believe that Adelman is behind a lot of the moves the team is making

Dude has a man crush on Pek. No way he + Dwill are traded for him

And Williams could develop into a great scorer

I have reason to believe that Adelman is behind a lot of the moves the team is making

Dude has a man crush on Pek. No way he + Dwill are traded for him

And Williams could develop into a great scorer

Dwill for Pau straight up is a literal impossibility. Luke or JJ being included seems obvious with LA in desperate need for one, but neither are very good so that could go either way. Unless Mitch takes Darko, which I don't see happening,The Wolves will either give up valuable wings or Pek. With Love and Pau, Pek is a bit more expendable than additional wings.

The teams won't see eye to eye imo, Wolves needs wings too much to give up DWill and another 1 or 2 Forwards for someone to play PF or C when they have Love/Pek.

Now that the Rockets have to play Shirts versus PFs in practice, Mitch should really try to get Josh Smith, the market for Pau is shrinking.

Brinbe

Nice...

Raptors president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo, who headed the Phoenix contingent that swooped into Dallas in July 2004 and convinced Nash to leave the Mavericks to return the team that drafted him in less than 24 hours, is planning a similar approach to courting Canada's best-ever player in 2012.

Sources say that the Raptors will have at least five members of the organization waiting in New York this weekend to visit Nash as soon as he's ready Sunday, with Toronto widely expected to make the richest financial offer Nash receives this offseason to come back to Canada. The offer is likely to approach $12 million annually, sources say...

Nash, for his part, says that he expects to commit to a team fairly quickly and without leaving New York City to go on recruiting visits. NBA teams can't actually sign players until July 11, when a leaguewide moratorium on new contracts is lifted, but players can make verbal commitments as soon as free agency starts.

"There's positives to every situation," Nash said. "The Raptors would be one of those teams where you're probably not going there to win a championship in the next three years. For me it'd be going home to Canada, to a great city, and trying to help an organization move forward.

"I'm open to the positives of all of them. It'd be great if four or five contenders came after me and all offered me a deal, but the reality is I might not get that opportunity. So I'm going to look at every opportunity and Toronto will be one that I'll study as well and look at the opportunity for them to grow in the next three years and what kind of impact I can have on that team. And obviously from a community standpoint, it's a special place for me."

Hope we then amnesty Jose, and make a move for a real starting SF. Which can come from signing one via FA like a Batum or Wallace (maybe even a Jeff Green, depending on how he is health-wise) or perhaps package assets for someone like Iggy.

giri

Yeah think so.

Edit:Damn Nash is so out of Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...-says-staying-phoenix-suns-no-longer-home-run

I can't get a read on where he's going but he thinks it will happen pretty quickly after Sunday.

well Duh.

Nash NEEDS to move on for the better of the franchise too.

Dwill for Pau straight up is a literal impossibility. Luke or JJ being included seems obvious with LA in desperate need for one, but neither are very good so that could go either way. Unless Mitch takes Darko, which I don't see happening,The Wolves will either give up valuable wings or Pek. With Love and Pau, Pek is a bit more expendable than additional wings.

The teams won't see eye to eye imo, Wolves needs wings too much to give up DWill and another 1 or 2 Forwards for someone to play PF or C when they have Love/Pek.

Now that the Rockets have to play Shirts versus PFs in practice, Mitch should really try to get Josh Smith, the market for Pau is shrinking.

It will be like the Odom trade, it would have to involve someone with a TPE to send to the lakers, but yeah, i doubt they're giving up all their assets for pau. i think they're just trying to get him on the cheap.

Nice...

Hope we then amnesty Jose, and make a move for a real starting SF. Which can come from signing one via FA like a Batum or Wallace (maybe even a Jeff Green, depending on how he is health-wise) or perhaps package assets for someone like Iggy.

I've heard raptors fans (mainly you) going on about this for a while now. What exactly do you hope to accomplish? With Nash on the team i mean? a first or second round exit for 2 years? then Nash retires? and you will have put your rebuild back... 2 years, and a whole bunch of rookie contracts are expiring?

whats the point? I mean, the raps getting Nash literally achieves nothing good for them.

Fjordson

Actually fairly happy with my team's draft (Warriors). Harrison Barnes and Ezeli seem like solid picks. Curry plus Barnes in the backcourt, and Lee plus Bogut in the frontcourt could be...decent. Which would be a nice change of pace out here.

Brinbe

I've heard raptors fans (mainly you) going on about this for a while now. What exactly do you hope to accomplish? With Nash on the team i mean? a first or second round exit for 2 years? then Nash retires? and you will have put your rebuild back... 2 years, and a whole bunch of rookie contracts are expiring?

whats the point? I mean, the raps getting Nash literally achieves nothing good for them.
First of all, I'm just reporting on what's happening the team and who we're pursuing. Secondly, I personally didn't think much of these rumors, because, like most of y'all, I'd much rather see Nash go to a contender or an up-and-comer like the Pacers. But over the last month or so, all I've personally heard/read is that the interest is genuinely mutual. And if Steve F'n Nash is interested in coming home (even if it is mostly for money)? Well, fuck if I'm gonna be upset at the notion, I'd love to watch him play here, even if my head knows it's a total treadmill move (I mean, what else should I expect from BC?).

So what do we accomplish? Well, it's an immediate win from a business perspective (not sure if you truly appreciate how popular this would be here), and even if Nash is only here for 2/3 years, he'll already have had a hugely positive impact on our perception around the league, post-Bosh. Especially if we manage to make the playoffs.

We won't be championship contenders, but fuck if ANY team in this conference is dethroning the Heat anyway.

And when Nash hangs it up, (well, assuming they're still here and not traded), we'll still have DeRozan, (who, despite his current mediocrity, will still only be 24/25-years-old), Ed Davis (who may actually start caring at some point), good 'ol Bargs (of course, because he's NEVER leaving) and T.Ross/JV plus whoever we potentially draft in 2013/14, as other young guys on rookie deals to build around. So the cupboard's not totally bare, especially if guys like Calderon/Kleiza aren't clogging up cap-space.

Jake.

i have been in exam mode for the last week and haven't been paying attention to the draft at all.

for someone who lives in australia and doesn't/can't follow US college ball, are the celtics picks any good? i have seen who they picked obviously but have no idea who they are.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly I hope Nash signs with a team where he actually has a chance to win a title. I would hate to see him waste his last few years in Toronto.

Indiana seems like a really solid fit. Really solid team everywhere on the court except for a pg.

Shurs

If the Timberwolves are going to go after an aging star who plays a position that is already a strength, I'd rather they make a run at Steve Nash.

I'm of the opinion that they should run with the young roster for another year. It's like they're skipping the step of getting playoff experience to make a trade like they're a team on the cusp of a Finals run.

I have my doubts about the Wolves being a playoff team this year with Rubio being out for the first few months of the season. We completely collapsed after he was injured last season.

Bottom line: I don't want to lose Pekovic for Gasol.

Honestly I hope Nash signs with a team where he actually has a chance to win a title. I would hate to see him waste his last few years in Toronto.

Indiana seems like a really solid fit. Really solid team everywhere on the court except for a pg.

Nash on Indy would be interesting to say the least. They can cover up alot of his defensive liabilities. Though Nash would probably rip all his hair out from all the dumb-ass shots they take.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
The Minnesota Timberwolves continue their pursuit of free agent guard Brandon Roy in advance of the July 1st date when teams can sign free agents. 1500 ESPN reported earlier in the week that the Timberwolves were ready to offer Roy a two-year contract to entice him out of his injury-forced "retirement" from the Portland Trail Blazers.

The latest news according to this tweet from Darren Wolfson reveals that Minnesota has expressed its interest to Roy in person.

But he's not white.

Those two youngbloods on the bench is a really nice boost.

Do they tell Jeff, work on those corner 3s and try to mold him into Shane Battier?

Sucks for Jeffs career. It was all good just two years ago.

KG can be as mean as he wants, he can't fix Sully's fucked up back and 4 inch vertical leap, and those are going to be his biggest problems at the next level. He's like a less athletic Leon Powe or Glen Davis.

KG can be as mean as he wants, he can't fix Sully's fucked up back and 4 inch vertical leap, and those are going to be his biggest problems at the next level. He's like a less athletic Leon Powe or Glen Davis.

Sullinger's biggest issue is his pick-and-roll defense and KG is probably the best teacher for that in the NBA today and maybe ever. If Sully can be even average in that area, he'll be fine in the NBA. Guys like Boozer or Love can score without jumping.

What are you talking about? He easily is going to make them both better players.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, he will most likely be the difference between Fab washing out of the league and carving out a rotation spot for himself. Sullinger on the other hand would be fine with or without KG (health problems withstanding), but KG will definitely make him better player.

Anyone familiar enough with the Celtics' cap to know if they can still afford Mayo?

A lineup of

Rondo
Mayo
Pierce
Sullinger
KG

with Bradley, Bass, Johnson, and Melo coming off the bench is a much better team than they had last year. #2 seed in the East?

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, he will most likely be the difference between Fab washing out of the league and carving out a rotation spot for himself. Sullinger on the other hand would be fine with or without KG (health problems withstanding), but KG will definitely make him better player.

Anyone familiar enough with the Celtics' cap to know if they can still afford Mayo?

A lineup of

Rondo
Mayo
Pierce
Sullinger
KG

with Bradley, Bass, Johnson, and Melo coming off the bench is a much better team than they had last year. #2 seed in the East?

Easily, but I like Bradley starting because of his defensive prowess. Mayo hasn't proven to me that he's a starter in this league.

Pretty surprised its a 3 year deal, though that's also when Pierce's contract is up

A lineup of

Rondo
Mayo
Pierce
Sullinger
KG

Considering KG made 20m+ last year they still have plenty of space. Roster right now is only Pierce, Rondo, Bradley, Johnson, Moore, Sullinger, Melo, and now KG. They put a qualifying offer on Stiemsma the other day but thats only 1m.

I would have been like that until I heard Bill Simmons' podcast yesterday where him and Chad Ford were spelling the whole scenario out and were like "$40 million! I'd be okay with that! Maybe it's not enough. $50 million!"

Just know that if/when it goes down our team will be more fun than yours.

And our team is never fun.

....also, he proposed trading Bargnani for Gasol. That would be my favourite trade in the history of basketball. Not only do the Raptors get a guy who's not Bargnani or dead, the Lakers get a guy who is Bargnani. The LA Bargnani era would be wall to wall comedy until he's finally traded for whoever the 2015 version of Lamar Odom is.

Easily, but I like Bradley starting because of his defensive prowess. Mayo hasn't proven to me that he's a starter in this league.

Yeah, you're right about that. Pierce and Bradley make a better pair than Mayo and Pierce. Mayo would do better coming off the bench anyway.

How much are they resigning Jeff Green and Brandon Bass for?

Is Mayo willing to take $3 million a year?

I forgot about Green, I don't think they can afford both him and Mayo even with shedding around 20 million with KG and Allen's contracts.

The Raptors have been terrible for a while and it's not like many teams ascend further than first or second round exits anyway. Unless Valanciunas becomes Euro Dwight, a first or second round exit is probably their best case scenario for this core. So why not have a good team with a lot of fun players on it for a couple of years? If JV and Ross can play well right away, they could challenge for 2nd seed almost.

KG had a really good year; definitely a top 10 player this year, but 3 years sounds like a bad idea.

Nah. They want him to retire a Celtic and 2 years would be an insult. He means everything to that team. You take him away you just have a hung over fat pierce and Rondo in perpetual drama queen mode.

SamuraiX-

Cavs and Hornets won the draft.

Don't forget the Cavs have Thompson from last year and some unknown European PF.

zDzFp.gif

Garnett re-signed with the Celtics for 3 years - 34 million.

This is pretty shocking. I expected maybe a 1-year deal (if possible), and at max a 2-year deal. Getting a chance to punch all those knew rookie bigs in the face must have KG riled up.

Celtics need more effective 3-pointers shooters now more than anything if Ray isn't resigning.
Not that he contributed much in that department after his injuries last season

Just read this on another board:

"With Garnett's additional salary of $34M, his career earnings, not including playoff money, will be $322,216,634. KG passes Shaq ($292 million) as having earned the most in regular season salary in NBA history. "

Dayyyum. I bet even Antoine Walker couldn't spend all that.

I mean okay, he could, but it would take him a few months.

giga

How the hell is Anthony Davis already on the roster when he hasn't even played one nba game and only one season in college ball?

How the hell is Anthony Davis already on the roster when he hasn't even played one nba game and only one season in college ball?

Because all the good NBA big men who play defense are injured other than Chandler and Josh Smith and Smith isn't liked by most people. Plus it allows the NBA to promote Davis more easily.

giga

Because all the good NBA big men who play defense are injured other than Chandler and Josh Smith and Smith isn't liked by most people. Plus it allows the NBA to promote Davis more easily.
Ugh. I'd take Bynum or Smoove any day over an untested guy like Davis. Trainwreck.

SamuraiX-

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012MOLYroster.html

Who do you all see getting cut, Davis being the obvious one?

Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh strained abdominal muscle
Kobe Bryant
Tyson Chandler
Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant
Rudy Gay
Eric Gordon
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Andre Iguodala
LeBron James
Kevin Love
Lamar Odom
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

Highlighted --> Already on the team
Bold --> Who I expect to make the cut

G - Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Russell Westbrook / Kobe Bryant / Eric Gordon
F - Kevin Durant / LeBron James / Carmelo Anthony / Kevin Love / Blake Griffin
C - Tyson Chandler / Anthony Davis

This should be your best team. Everyone' pretty versatile and can run which you need in FIBA ball. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of those forwards like Durant, Love, James, and maybe Bitch-Griff playing at the center spot on occasion... unless of course Davis comes in and just tears it up.

3 Clippers on the Olympic team! Yay!

... :/

Blake Griffin will proudly flop for his country.

A true patriot.

Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh strained abdominal muscle
Kobe Bryant
Tyson Chandler
Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant
Rudy Gay
Eric Gordon
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Andre Iguodala
LeBron James
Kevin Love
Lamar Odom
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

Highlighted --> Already on the team
Bold --> Who I expect to make the cut

G - Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Russell Westbrook / Kobe Bryant / Eric Gordon
F - Kevin Durant / LeBron James / Carmelo Anthony / Kevin Love / Blake Griffin
C - Tyson Chandler / Anthony Davis

This should be your best team. Everyone' pretty versatile and can run which you need in FIBA ball. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of those forwards like Durant, Love, James, and maybe Bitch-Griff playing at the center spot on occasion... unless of course Davis comes in and just tears it up.

Blake Griffin will proudly flop for his country.

A true patriot.

Griffin will dunk all over your boy T-Rob next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom