• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah wasn't he talkin shit when he went to BOS?

I don't remember him talking shit, if anyone did it was Shawn Marion who said the offense was boring and too predicated around Wade, but it wasn't really venomous or anything

if I remember right JO claims he received an offer from Miami (which he did not lol) but felt that Boston was a "better situation", he also got the entire midlevel from them

lol there is absolutely no way we are going to even look at jermaine o'neal

after he basically didn't play in the first playoffs and grabbed like 5 rebounds in 5 games against the celtics the organization exiled him from memory forever

lol, he's still not much worse than some of the "centers" the Heat had riding the pine this year. JO would obviously not be their first choice, but somebody's gotta fill those last few roster spots, and Kaman/Camby is unlikely to happen. Greg Oden on a flier?

He's been to the Finals twice. Riley's Heat teams pre-2006 never did make much noise in the playoffs.

Yeah I had to sit back and think about the years Riley actually coached, it's still pretty surprising cause I know we at least made the 2nd round a few times and it feels like he's been with us forever

Stan Van was the one that took them to the 2nd and then to 7 games in the ECF the following year

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
did brandon roy unretire or something?

Yeah, he's attempting a comeback next season.

Maybe a year off did something for him, but I doubt it. But that playoff game against Dallas will get somebody to think he isn't done. Somebody like David Kahn, obviously.

In eleven years as coach, the Heat missed the playoffs three times and lost in the first round another five times (back when the first round was only best-of-five). Back-to-back Finals runs will get you up there quickly.

yeah I'm glad those first round exits are a distant memory for me lol. the most painful ones were obviously knicks, but that's cause I hated them. getting owned by the hornets felt a lot worse cause it was the end of that era...and the beginning of the eddie jones one :(

I'm a bit surprised they gave KG that much money, even if the final year is not guaranteed. Was anyone else going to offer him over $10 mil per season? They should have convinced him to come back for $5 mil and use the cap space to build a contender.

KG always needs to get paid, though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, he's attempting a comeback next season.

Maybe a year off did something for him, but I doubt it. But that playoff game against Dallas will get somebody to think he isn't done. Somebody like David Kahn, obviously.

I don't think he finishes a season.

A year off probably makes him feel like a million bucks but once he starts logging 20 minutes a night again he'll be wheeling around like McGrady

benjipwns

Banned
I don't think he finishes a season.

A year off probably makes him feel like a million bucks but once he starts logging 20 minutes a night again he'll be wheeling around like McGrady
Wouldn't be surprised if has a game early where he drops 20 in 25 minutes, team pushes him into the starting lineup and he's done by Christmas.

SamuraiX-

pilonv1, I'm hear Dorell Wright is not welcome in Oakland anymore.

Let's talk.

yrXY9.png

Jdez15

Banned
Maybe he can project to fill a hole in their starting lineup since they already solidified their bench with their 1st rounders.

He would be backing up Gee, I like Gee, but he really needs to work on his ball handling. Lots of turnovers off of the ball hitting off his legs.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Maybe he can project to fill a hole in their starting lineup since they already solidified their bench with their 1st rounders.

When you can draft a 6th man in the top 5 and trade the rest of your picks for the softest center in the America, you have to do it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They traded 2 2nd round picks, and a late 1st. Cleveland's situation was better to get Zellers, then to have 3 more rookies on the team. We needed a big man, and we got him. I applaud it. Zellers was suppose to be an 11th pick, so they basically traded those picks for another lottery pick, which doesn't sound that bad.

But he wasn't the 11th pick and another white center was chosen at 11.

anyone got a read on this Jones kid? 20 PPG 11RPG?
Kevin Jones has bounced back from a disappointing junior season in a major way, leading the Big East in points and rebounds while currently ranking second in field goal percentage, leading a very young West Virginia Mountaineers team to an impressive 12-5 record.

Jones has seen his scoring increase substantially, from 15.7 points per 40 minutes pace adjusted to 20.5, while also increasing his efficiency to what is by far a career best, reestablishing himself as a consistent inside-outside threat that is a tough matchup at the collegiate level.

From a physical standpoint, not much has changed with regard to Jones' physical profile. He has added some upper body strength, but he's still a undersized, but lengthy forward with below average athleticism that runs the floor unconventionally and plays mostly below the rim.

His offensive skill-set is still largely the same, albeit at a much improved rate and efficiency. He plays a fair amount in the post, and he's shooting a tremendous 60.9% from the field in post-up situations, which at a rate of 1.241 points per possession is better than 95% NCAA players, according to Synergy Sports Technology.

This is somewhat deceiving, however, because he likes to use this to setup a lot of face-up and turnaround jump shots out of these sets, which he is very efficient at. While not a major back to the basket threat, he does show good touch and a decent -- albeit not overly advanced -- set of moves that includes hook shots over either shoulder, a drop step, and fade-aways. He doesn't have tremendous lower body strength, and may have trouble establishing good post position at the next level.

His biggest asset when creating for himself is that short range jumper. He has improved his mid-range game, and while he can make the occasional collegiate three, the further out he gets the more his form looks suspect, and his efficiency drops.

When shooting from distance it appears there is too much contact with his palms, which may cause some of his problems with consistency. For somebody who is likely play further away from the basket at the next level his inability to establish himself as a reliable long range shooter (23% 3P) is perhaps the only negative so far in a senior season that has otherwise surpassed all reasonable expectations.

Jones has tremendous hands and great touch around the basket with either hand, and does a very good job of finding seams in the defense. He's also turned himself into an excellent rebounder, as his 4.8 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted is one of the better marks in our database, and he converts them at an excellent clip.

He does a good job of crashing the boards at every opportunity, fighting for position early and with a quick second jump, and has the aforementioned good touch around the basket. These two traits more than anything are extremely positive traits to possess when he makes the transition at the next level to less of a featured role.

Another major benefit for a potential role player is that he turns the ball over at a very low rate. In fact, his 1.5 turnovers per 40 minutes pace adjusted ranks as the 5th best rate in the top 100 prospects in our database.

The biggest change in Jones this year, and the one that may improve his draft stock even more than his re-found scoring touch, has been his defensive rebounding. Never known as a particularly effective defensive rebounder in the past, Jones has increased his productivity drastically, making it one of his strengths. His 7.5 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted represent a respectable number for a power forward, particularly notable for somebody who had averaged 4.5 and 5.0 the previous two seasons.

Whether it was head coach Bob Huggins getting through to him or feedback from his time in the NBA draft process last year, Jones is doing a much better job of boxing out and bodying up on the defensive glass and getting the ball at its highest point. Perhaps most importantly, he's consistently showing the energy level and focus on this end of the court that wasn't always there in years past.

Considering West Virginia did not lose any dominant defensive rebounders from last year's mediocre defensive rebounding team, the improvement cannot easily be explained through a change in role or personnel. Regardless of why, Jones' improvement on the defensive glass is a big boon to his potential value as a role player at the next level.

Defensively, Jones is an effective collegiate player, but one with some definite physical limitations. He has turned himself into a very good post defender, using his length well and denying position early in the possession. That being said, he definitely could use some added lower body strength to translate this to the next level, as he is going to be undersized for the power forward position. He's also not explosive enough of an athlete to be a shot blocking threat, and his lateral mobility is probably going to cause him problems on the perimeter.

With that said, it's tough to ignore the competitive spirit and instincts he brings to the table, reminding some of Chuck Hayes with the way he finds ways to get the job done through a combination of scrappiness and intelligence.

Jones improvement this year has breathed new life into his status as a prospect. Showing improvements in his short to medium range jump shot, and his marked improvements on the defensive glass, along with his ability to finish off the ball and also be an effective offensive rebounder, makes his transition to a lesser role at the next level a smoother one. Jones still has the same physical and athletic limitations that limit his upside as a prospect, but so far it appears his decision to return for his senior year has been a success.

While it's easy to rule out players in his mold quickly due to his obvious deficiencies, Jones has been winning over scouts all year with the leadership and competitiveness he displays and by simply being an outstanding teammate. He's highly unlikely to be a difference maker in the NBA, but has everything needed to be a quality rotation player on a winning team.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zJ24hh9n
http://www.draftexpress.com
DraftExpress: Kevin Jones learned a valuable lesson tonight. You don't pick your older brother to be your agent. Hopefully not too late for him.
lulz

Flash

Don't care if we are a treadmill team after signing Nash. It'll be bring much needed respect for the franchise. Right now the culture around Raptors is absolutely embarrassing, nobody in the league OR Toronto respects these guys.

They have consistently been terrible and we have nothing promising to look forward to at the moment. They can't tank properly (how did we only get the 8th pick with this terrible ass rost) and they can't draft properly, so our "rebuilding" efforts have been and will continue to be pathetic . So we might as well be fringe playoff contenders so I can at least enjoy the season and pray for miracle playoff wins cause right now it's pretty damn tough being a Raptors fan.

edit: FUCK read the rumor about offering that stupid ass contract to Lin... if we do, I just give up. Cause not only will we still be god awful, now we'll have that dumbass contract to deal with to.

Jdez15

Banned
Don't care if we are a treadmill team after signing Nash. It'll be bring much needed respect for the franchise. Right now the culture around Raptors is absolutely embarrassing, nobody in the league OR Toronto respects these guys.

They have consistently been terrible and we have nothing promising to look forward to at the moment. They can't tank properly (how did we only get the 8th pick with this terrible ass rost) and they can't draft properly, so our "rebuilding" efforts have been and will continue to be pathetic . So we might as well be fringe playoff contenders so I can at least enjoy the season and pray for miracle playoff wins cause right now it's pretty damn tough being a Raptors fan.

Bringing an aged Nash to the Raptors is really pointless for you guys right now. What? Just to maybe grab an 8th seed and do nothing with it? C'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom