• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Asik is probably worth 5 - 8 M if he's starting for you, and in the perfect position/role at the right club.

But i'd start him on 5M and let annual increases get him up to 8M.

He's not good enough to be a starter let alone for 5-8 million. His defense is solid in spurts but not unstoppable and he's one of the worst offensive players I've ever seen. He can't even hold on to the ball without losing it and then flailing in a desperate euro attempt to get a foul, you're playing 4 on 5 on offense with him in the game. He doesn't even have the conditioning to be a starter. I've seen him play when Noah was out and he looked gassed for most of the game.

benjipwns

Banned
Asik is kinda like Erick Dampier was on those Mavericks teams. You wouldn't mind having him around to get some boards, body up guys, a few putbacks or dunks, doesn't take possessions away from your stars. (Only far less efficient since he can't hold onto the ball or score as well.)

But never at that price tag.

Asik is one of the best defenders in the NBA, but he's terrible offensively and has no upside on offense since it's hard to reteach a basketball player how to catch when they're in their 20s. Maybe he could be like Mark Eaton or something if he starts though.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
omer asik future

He would help us tank if we run the O through him in the low post, but that money for him!? No fuck no. I want me some more PF'S!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ken Berger said:
Rockets have had some talks about Kevin Martin, but are planning to keep him, league source says. Martin has $12.4M expiring contract.

I am so sorry Rockets age.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I am so sorry Rockets age.

That's it... get me a rope and chair. I live on the first floor, jumping out my window is a no go.

benjipwns

Banned
Chris Broussard: Eric Gordon will visit Indiana Sunday, Houston Monday & Phoenix Tuesday. He will also meet with Portland & perhaps Charlotte & Dallas.
Ken Berger: In addition to Nets, the Celtics, Pacers and Suns are in the mix for unrestricted free agent O.J. Mayo, league source says.
Ken Berger: Mavs may have interested in unrestricted free agent Michael Beasley, league source says.

giri

Asik is kinda like Erick Dampier was on those Mavericks teams. You wouldn't mind having him around to get some boards, body up guys, a few putbacks or dunks, doesn't take possessions away from your stars. (Only far less efficient since he can't hold onto the ball or score as well.)

But never at that price tag.

Yea.

As i said, he needs the perfect situation.

giri

The one major positive for Asik is that he's way way better than Perkins who makes like 7 million a year, so yeah.

He's better defensively, yeah. Everyone knows that he's a defensive based player, but even then, he's underrated for just how good he is (Asik that is).

A better comparison might be Diop. Great defender, no offense at all. Worthless to everyone but the Mavericks.

That is pretty offensive to Asik.

benjipwns

Banned
Griffin extended, Paul not:
And as expected, Griffin agreed to his five-year extension worth up to $95 million and Paul didn’t accept his three-year extension for $60 million, according to sources who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. Griffin, who is locked up for the next six years, will earn $7.2 million next season.

reilo

Ken Berger said:
Clippers indeed offered Blake Griffin a five-year "Rose rule" extension as free agency opened, but he hasn't accepted it yet, sources say.
Ken Berger said:
It's a formality, as the five-year deal for Griffin would be worth close to $100M. But two people close to Griffin say he has yet to accept.

Officially overrated!

5/95 is a fairly large amount of money for Griffin, but he's still a great player who can get a lot better if he continues to improve on defense (this would happen more quickly with a real coach)

benjipwns

Banned
That is pretty offensive to Asik.
Snarky answer is let's see him not come off the bench in Thibs system. Real answer is that I agree, but was thinking about those Mavs teams and Diop is probably a better example than Dampier of a player who wouldn't just fit anywhere.

reilo

AWoj said:
After Houston tonight, Blazers GM Neil Olshey will meet with Chicago center Omer Asik and make him an offer, sources tell Y! Sports.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

benjipwns

Banned
If Vernon Macklin shows up on your team after the Pistons cut him, you've got a pretty good player. Won't ever start, but he's a solid guy off the bench.

cacophony

K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
Hearing Rockets prepared to offer Omer Asik in the $8 million range annually.

Rockets have had some talks about Kevin Martin, but are planning to keep him, league source says. Martin has $12.4M expiring contract.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_nadalchair.gif

how can you watch the last Finals and see how worthless the starting Cs for each team were and give Asik that much money?

Rim protection is still hugely important in the NBA and Asik is one of the best. Just because the Heat and Thunder are completely perimeter orientated doesn't mean the entire league has to be.

benjipwns

Banned
At this rate there is going to be another lockout next offseason.
Deal is set for six years. It's a fundamental flaw. First to market sets the market.

When Nash signed for what he did with Phoenix, it's what set that market into hyperdrive. It's the same if Asik gets $8 million, and maybe because of what KG got.

giri

Deal is set for six years. It's a fundamental flaw. First to market sets the market.

When Nash signed for what he did with Phoenix, it's what set that market into hyperdrive. It's the same if Asik gets $8 million, and maybe because of what KG got.

Think it was a joke benji :p

Jazz right now:

4 big men
3 sixth man gunners (Harris, Mo, and Burks all seem to have the same style and mindset that seems suited for a 6th man instant offense role)
Gordon Hayward
Two backup PGs

This roster is really unbalanced right now, hopefully moves are made.

I don't think that's a terrible deal for Nash. It's realistic to think you can get 2 more solid seasons out of him, and a couple million of that can be considered marketing dollars to get people's asses in the arena in Toronto and buy them a ton of good press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom