• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Come on, do you really want to talk nickles and dimes? You could have 7 years of NBA veteran experience and leadership here!

Cisco can give you 20 minutes a night of his "imacutyou" face vs. the refs. Never have to worry about 5v8 games ever again!

They already have Wright, Rush (RFA), McGuire (FA), Jefferson, Barnes, Green. Plus Klay. If they're moving Wright it's for cap space or draft picks, or maybe a guard. But not another swingman.

pilonv1

The one major positive for Asik is that he's way way better than Perkins who makes like 7 million a year, so yeah.

True but he's getting the Jerome James contract. For a full MLE I don't think it's a huge issue considering what centres make. I don't see how he's better than Dalembert for that money. For $5mil he's better, but paying the same you're probably better off with Sam.

diehard

Fleer
Jazz right now:

4 big men
3 sixth man gunners (Harris, Mo, and Burks all seem to have the same style and mindset that seems suited for a 6th man instant offense role)
Gordon Hayward
Two backup PGs

This roster is really unbalanced right now, hopefully moves are made.

it really isn't that unbalanced, other than the lack of a really good passing PG.

benjipwns

Banned
True but he's getting the Jerome James contract. For a full MLE I don't think it's a huge issue considering what centres make. I don't see how he's better than Dalembert for that money. For $5mil he's better, but paying the same you're probably better off with Sam.
Dalembert's deal had all but $1.5 million unguaranteed for this season. Bucks still have until July 8th to get rid of it.

giri

fuck yes the dream is alive sign with phoenix gordon maybe we can get wallace

nash/brooks/telfair/marshall
gordon/brown
hill/dudley
frye/morris/warrick
gortat/Lopez or someone

Not bad at all

Fuck yeah. First round exit. FUCK YEAH!

I don't think that's a terrible deal for Nash. It's realistic to think you can get 2 more solid seasons out of him, and a couple million of that can be considered marketing dollars to get people's asses in the arena in Toronto and buy them a ton of good press.

It's one of the dumbest moves I've seen in the NBA. Much much worse than the Asik deal.

pilonv1

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012/06/30/warriors-intrigued-by-free-agent-pfc-jordan-hill/

Here’s a name to put on the list of Warriors’ big man options: Jordan Hill.

According to league sources, the Warriors are intrigued by the prospects of signing Hill. The 6-foot-10, 235-pound PF/C is an unrestricted free agent who emerged as a quality back-up big man for the Lakers.

He’s an athletic big man with enough size and skill to play behind projected starters Andrew Bogut and David Lee. That’s important for the salary cap-strapped Warriors, who have only the mid-level exception to offer.
Hill had been a relative bust since being drafted by New York with the No. 8 overall picks. But Hill re-announced himself as a promising young big man after being traded to the Lakers. He was a presence in the postseason, averaging 4.8 points an 6.3 rebounds in 18.1 minutes off the bench.

Both Hill and the Lakers are reportedly interested in Hill re-signing. So the Warriors landing him would serve as an added bonus of stealing from a division rival.

Golden State is also expected to kick the tires on guards Andre Miller and Brandon Roy. The Warriors are in the market for frontline help, back-up guards and a ideally a veteran scorer.

No Jordan Hill please.

I would love Andre Miller off the bench, or starting when Steph goes down.

giri, most teams are never going to be contenders unless they get Hall of Fame, top 50 players of all time. Next year's draft probably won't have those guys (though Adams and Noel are pretty good), Jonas Valanciunas probably won't be that guy, and four straight tanking seasons for a team is pretty unbearable. There's nothing really wrong at all with being pretty good and being exciting and winning a playoff series for two or three years despite never being great.

pilonv1

giri, most teams are never going to be contenders unless they get Hall of Fame, top 50 players of all time. Next year's draft probably won't have those guys (though Adams and Noel are pretty good), Jonas Valanciunas probably won't be that guy, and four straight tanking seasons for a team is pretty unbearable. There's nothing really wrong at all with being pretty good and being exciting and winning a playoff series for two or three years despite never being great.

Especially for the Raptors, who haven't been good in ages. Sometimes it's about improving the image of the team and hoping other guys will see that Nash went there instead of hunting a ring and be interested.

Personally, I'd rather have Steve Nash and either EG or Hibbert over just Dwill if that was an option... Unfortunately the Mavs might not get any of them.

benjipwns

Banned
I totally see this perspective, especially from a business point of view.

I'm probably just too deep into the "band aid" method of rebuilding. I pissed off some Pistons fans yesterday saying what I wanted to do with the team. They seemed to be operating under the delusion the team is on the cusp of the playoffs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
@BlazerFreeman said:
The #Blazers do not have intentions of pursing a PG to compete with Damian Lillard for starting spot. Lillard will be the guy.

Going from playing against random 5'8 guys to Russell Westbrook and others is going to be a shock for Lillard. I have to think he's going to be really overwhelmed and bad for at least the first half of the season, seems like a mistake not to have any other PGs.

giri

There's a lot wrong with it.

But there's nothing wrong with it if you're a young team, who has the potential to add a piece, or has the time to wait to develop. There's no pieces in Toronto that anyone would consider a 1B or 1A type player. Either the best or second best player on a chip team.

So players would only be going there to play with Steve Nash for 2 years? 3 at most? at which point Toronto will have had 3 years of potentially first round exits, tredding water with non-lottery draft picks and surrounding Nash with a bunch of nothing but role player, players. So that when he does go, or retires due to injury, they've wasted several years and accomplished nothing. Then he goes, and bam, they're instantly terrible again. With all of their rookie deals from now (supposedly relatively high picks) due for renewal.

And in that time, they've got a whooooooooooooooooooole bunch of salary questions, and contracts to give out. If they don't pay to keep players around Nash i really would expect him to demand a trade. So they'll probably sign a bunch of role players to hedo/warrick/childress type deals that tie up a bunch of money in guys who are only relevant if Nash is there. And even then, barely.

So, it's going to Cause bad contracts, Cause bad draft positions, or force their hand to try bad "win now" trades. For a player that isn't their own.

Whats the upside? make it to the first round twice? if he doesn't get injured. Sounds like a GM move that is worried about his Job, not winning Chips and the franchise.

There's really no legitimate reason for the raptors to do the trade. There are legitimate reasons for Collangelo though.

linsivvi

I totally see this perspective, especially from a business point of view.

I'm probably just too deep into the "band aid" method of rebuilding. I pissed off some Pistons fans yesterday saying what I wanted to do with the team. They seemed to be operating under the delusion the team is on the cusp of the playoffs.

But when you play in the Eastern conference, you're always on the cusp of the playoffs.

Unless your team is owned by MJ.

I don't think any player in next year's draft is more talented than Valanciunas so they'd have to keep tanking for years to get a super high level player and this year proved how their tanking strategy may fail completely with an intense coach like Casey.

In Jim we trust.

eh, a Hill for Beasley swap would be interesting (and allows em to go small ball easier).

I just don't understand why it would have to be a trade. Unless Minnesota is going to severely overpay Hill.

Just don't get why minn would not just out right sign him.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
@BlazerFreeman said:
Goran Dragic, once considered a prime free agent target of #Blazers, will no longer be pursued. They drafted Lillard No. 6 to be the guy.

I really hope Lillard turns out to be really good then...

giri

I don't think any player in next year's draft is more talented than Valanciunas so they'd have to keep tanking for years to get a super high level player and this year proved how their tanking strategy may fail completely with an intense coach like Casey.

So the solution is to say fuck it, not develop young players and continue to gather young talent. Just give up?

So the solution is to say fuck it, not develop young players and continue to gather young talent. Just give up?

I don't see how acquiring Nash does that. Ross and Valanciunas immediately and immensely benefit from Nash and are easily the most complementary players on the team to Nash and would probably get a lot of development and minutes.

benjipwns

Banned
eh, a Hill for Beasley swap would be interesting (and allows em to go small ball easier).

I just don't understand why it would have to be a trade. Unless Minnesota is going to severely overpay Hill.

Maybe they thought they could get something out of fitting Beasley into the Odom exception? No idea really.

giri

I don't see how acquiring Nash does that. Ross and Valanciunas immediately and immensely benefit from Nash and are easily the most complementary players on the team to Nash and would probably get a lot of development and minutes.

Because Nash isn't going to the Raptors just to develop their young players. He has already said he wants to contend.

If he wanted to develop players, he'd retire and become a coach.

pilonv1

Guys like Bargs and DeRozan will also benefit from playing with him too, and wont have to force shots since they'll have them on a plate. I really don't see a downside to it.

SuperCool + Kobe will be fun.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
But when you play in the Eastern conference, you're always on the cusp of the playoffs.

Unless your team is owned by MJ.

Please.

Being a Bobcats fan is so much easier these days. We lose on purpose. Raptors can't even do that right.

Maybe they thought they could get something out of fitting Beasley into the Odom exception? No idea really.

The Lakers could just trade him for the TPE without trading Hill, though. I don't get the benefit of it. And the Lakers are capped by the rules on how much they can offer Hill, which renders it kind of useless (for salary matching).

I'm guessing Kahn didn't know WTF he was doing. Again.

Warriors might offer Hill a big contract, though. LOL Turiaf x 2

linsivvi

Yeah it's strange. The thing is, Hill might have his off court problems, but I don't want to see Beasley in a Laker uniform.

Please.

Being a Bobcats fan is so much easier these days. We lose on purpose. Raptors can't even do that right.

I didn't say it wasn't a positive. If you're gonna tank, you've got to tank right.

It's just funny that MJ was on the winningest team and owns the losingest team.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The Lakers could just trade him for the TPE without trading Hill, though. I don't get the benefit of it. And the Lakers are capped by the rules on how much they can offer Hill, which renders it kind of useless (for salary matching).

I'm guessing Kahn didn't know WTF he was doing. Again.

Warriors might offer Hill a big contract, though. LOL Turiaf x 2

Hey they would be breaking Warriors tradition if they didn't offer a mediocre big man a huge contract!

Because Nash isn't going to the Raptors just to develop their young players. He has already said he wants to contend.

If he wanted to develop players, he'd retire and become a coach.

No veteran player ever wants to develop young players. I don't see why replacing Calderon with Nash hurts the development of Valanciunas or Ross at all, it will only bring positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom