• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I read somewhere (Yahoo?) that the Nets want to remain over the cap (with FA holds etc..) so they can keep their Mid Level Exemption. Which is why they're trying to sign+trade guys like Stevenson and Green.
Managing the cap holds is the key since they have to do this through trades unlike the Heat.

Speaking of Bucher...

Yay or nay?

hmmm....
395.gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
after the Olympics too..lol

I am really curious where the Magic go from here because they are a hot mess..

Howard is not playing in the Olympics. He might not be even ready for the season opener.

Dwight looks more and more like an asshole everyday.

If he is traded and fucks over a second team he'll be so ill received. Makes me hopeful of him re-upping actually. But I don't want to enter the business of guessing what Dwight will or will not do.

giri

If he is traded and fucks over a second team he'll be so ill received. Makes me hopeful of him re-upping actually. But I don't want to enter the business of guessing what Dwight will or will not do.

Eh if he gets traded to a team he's specifically said he won't re-sign with, and they still trade for him, then he leaves. That's their problem. Not his. I wouldn't hate on him for that.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I could actually see him resigning to the team hes traded to just so he convinces himself he's not an asshole since he resigned then later on he'll claim he was blackmailed into signing an extension and attempt to force his way to Brooklyn again.

Branduil

If they send that package above for Johnson they'll have only Lopez, Wallace, Johnson, and MarShon Brooks on the books. They'll be far enough under the cap to send Lopez and whatever for Howard and absorb his contract. Once they're over the cap then they can pay Deron whatever he wants.

That's not how the salary cap works. They'd have to renounce Deron's cap hold to fit Howard under the cap... which means they lose all Bird Rights to Deron and no longer have any cap space for him.

giri

That's not how the salary cap works. They'd have to renounce Deron's cap hold to fit Howard under the cap... which means they lose all Bird Rights to Deron and no longer have any cap space for him.

The nets have 64M in Holds, and only 9M in actual salary on the books (total $73M). If they renounce everyone but Deron, they have 36M in Cap consumed.

What was the Cap, 57M? so they'd have 21M in cap to play with.

So no, they really can't just get both. They'll struggle to get it done for all 3.

abuC

The nets have 64M in Holds, and only 9M in actual salary on the books (total $73M). If they renounce everyone but Deron, they have 36M in Cap consumed.

What was the Cap, 57M? so they'd have 21M in cap to play with.

So no, they really can't just get both. They'll struggle to get it done for all 3.

Brook Lopez is a RFA, if he agrees to it they can use him in a sign and trade to match salaries for Dwight.

pilonv1

He'd have to be a free agent for that to happen. And (for now) he's got 1 year left on his contract.

The easier way would be for the Hawks to amnesty Iso Joe, the Nets trade for Dwight and then use whatever they have left to claim Joe.

giri

Brook Lopez is a RFA, if he agrees to it they can use him in a sign and trade to match salaries for Dwight.

Yes.

But.

That would mean that Brooks salary would have to be within 120% of what dwights is.

do you want to pay brooke lopez 4 years 96M?

i wouldn't.

And thats the flaw. to get all 3 they would have to convince Orlando to massively overpay for One player, because in a S & T, only one player is involved (iirc).

Branduil

He'd have to be a free agent for that to happen. And (for now) he's got 1 year left on his contract.

The easier way would be for the Hawks to amnesty Iso Joe, the Nets trade for Dwight and then use whatever they have left to claim Joe.

Yeah, but the Hawks don't want to pay Joe Johnson not to play for them.

abuC

Yes.

But.

That would mean that Brooks salary would have to be within 120% of what dwights is.

do you want to pay brooke lopez 4 years 96M?

i wouldn't.

And thats the flaw. to get all 3 they would have to convince Orlando to massively overpay for One player, because in a S & T, only one player is involved (iirc).

It would be 5 years, since both retain bird rights, and Lopez would only need to be around the $13-14 million a year range to get the salaries to work if you include Marshon Brooks into the trade.

Massively overpay? Lopez is going to get the max, if you're 7 feet tall and can tie your shoes you're getting a max contract.

If they send that package above for Johnson they'll have only Lopez, Wallace, Johnson, and MarShon Brooks on the books. They'll be far enough under the cap to send Lopez and whatever for Howard and absorb his contract. Once they're over the cap then they can pay Deron whatever he wants.

They'll only have five players on the team and have to fill out the rest with minimum contracts, but it's doable if they structure it right.

Wallace + Deron + Joe J = $51 in cap hold. Knock $5-6 down since Wallace signs a 4/40 and assume it starts lower than $10.

Add in the 9 roster holds at like 500k each rounded, and you're at around $50 mil in cap with an expected $60 mil cap. If deron drops a couple mill to start at like $15 mil, you get closer.

You can't just trade for Dwight because Deron has a cap hold at $17 mil. GWallace at $14 mil.

Which is why this Joe J stuff seems perplexing to me. Unless Deron is taking a sizable paycut or something, I'm a bit confused how they snag both joe J and Dwight. That's 3 max contracts + $10 mil for GWallace. The 3 Heat all took pay cuts to fit Haslem in and they only had a MLE deal left.

giri

It would be 5 years, since both retain bird rights, and Lopez would only need to be around the $13-14 million a year range to get the salaries to work if you include Marshon Brooks into the trade.

Massively overpay? Lopez is going to get the max, if you're 7 feet tall and can tie your shoes you're getting a max contract.

You can't add other players into S&T's if you're the one sending the signed player, i believe.

Also, injury prone 7' aren't the same as healthy 7'ers

KingJ2002

If dwight gets traded to the lakers or rockets and doesn't stick around... i hope he gets blackballed from the league ala allen iverson.

the shit he's doing shouldn't stand.

i mean.. "the decision" was over dramatized... but there wasn't all this indecisive BS going on.

it's such a bad look on the league... super friends teams, indecisive players commanding these million dollar contracts... it just sets such a bad example.

i guess New jersey could S+T Deshawn Stevenson for Dwight and give him a 1 year, $10 mil or whatever is needed.

but that would be super lol.

abuC

Wallace + Deron + Joe J = $51 in cap hold. Knock $5-6 down since Wallace signs a 4/40 and assume it starts lower than $10.

Add in the 9 roster holds at like 500k each rounded, and you're at around $50 mil in cap with an expected $60 mil cap. If deron drops a couple mill to start at like $15 mil, you get closer.

You can't just trade for Dwight because Deron has a cap hold at $17 mil. GWallace at $14 mil.

Which is why this Joe J stuff seems perplexing to me. Unless Deron is taking a sizable paycut or something, I'm a bit confused how they snag both joe J and Dwight. That's 3 max contracts + $10 mil for GWallace. The 3 Heat all took pay cuts to fit Haslem in and they only had a MLE deal left.

They could have backloaded Wallace's contract, in the same way the Rockets just did with Asik.

I just don't think they would be going all out for JJ like this if they didn't feel they could get Howard also, I really shouldn't give Billy King any credit but there has to be some plan in place, right?

giri

If dwight gets traded to the lakers or rockets and doesn't stick around... i hope he gets blackballed from the league ala allen iverson.

the shit he's doing shouldn't stand.

i mean.. "the decision" was over dramatized... but there wasn't all this indecisive BS going on.

it's such a bad look on the league... super friends teams, indecisive players commanding these million dollar contracts... it just sets such a bad example.

Eh if he gets traded to a team he's specifically said he won't re-sign with, and they still trade for him, then he leaves. That's their problem. Not his. I wouldn't hate on him for that.

How would it be dwights fault if you took the gamble and lost?

No, that's not the thing you can criticize him for in the whole thing.

They could have backloaded Wallace's contract, in the same way the Rockets just did with Asik.

I just don't think they would be going all out for JJ like this if they didn't feel they could get Howard also, I really shouldn't give Billy King any credit but there has to be some plan in place, right?

No, you can't backload Wallace's deal. Only early bird rights for 2nd round picks have that ability via the arenas rule. Basically, it's to allow teams to keep their 2nd round picks if they want bu are worth a lot more and teams want to pay them. In the past, a team could pay massively up front and every season and the other team wasn't allowed to match.

Regular bird's rights vets like Wallace are restricted to 4% and 6% raises only.

abuC

No, you can't backload Wallace's deal. Only early bird rights for 2nd round picks have that ability via the arenas rule. Basically, it's to allow teams to keep their 2nd round picks if they want bu are worth a lot more and teams want to pay them. In the past, a team could pay massively up front and every season and the other team wasn't allowed to match.

Regular bird's rights vets like Wallace are restricted to 4% and 6% raises only.

Good stuff, so basically Billy King is just throwing shit at a wall right now.

Good stuff, so basically Billy King is just throwing shit at a wall right now.

No. They can trade for Dwight if they get close enough in salaries.

It depends on whose left to trade. If it's Lopez + Stevenson, a 1 year deal for Stevenson can make up the gap.

Same with Kris Humphries. Can turn it into a 3 teamer with humph going not to Orlando.

They just cannot trade for Dwight without giving up salaries and eating into their cap space if they trade for Joe J.

giri

It depends on whose left to trade. If it's Lopez + Stevenson, a 1 year deal for Stevenson can make up the gap.

Same with Kris Humphries. Can turn it into a 3 teamer with humph going not to Orlando.

They just cannot trade for Dwight without giving up salaries and eating into their cap space if they trade for Joe J.

Yeah, they'd need Orlando (or someone sitting around with a TPE) to do them a solid and eat some salary.

It CAN be done. Just not likely.

Though, serious question. Why couldn't a team with a TPE, accommodate this deal, and Prokky just give the team owner $20M in cash. Like straight to the owner, and not to the franchise?

for shits and giggles.

A roster of Deron-Dwight-JoeJ-GWallace would be $70 by year 2 if not this year assuming they all have maxes besides the 4/40.

Keeping a MLE and then the LT MLE would get them to about $80 mil in year 2 with 5 players and 7 roster spots to fill. Even at min salary, you're getting close to $90 million. And if it really is full max, by year 3 or 4, we're looking at a near $100 mil payroll for the Nets. With a repeater tax. This team will cost like $150 million, LOL

Though, serious question. Why couldn't a team with a TPE, accommodate this deal, and Prokky just give the team owner $20M in cash. Like straight to the owner, and not to the franchise?

Illegal in NBA terms. $3 mil is max per season.

I'm am pretty sure there are clauses about just giving owners money like with players and paying salary with other companies.

KingJ2002

How would it be dwights fault if you took the gamble and lost?

No, that's not the thing you can criticize him for in the whole thing.

dwight knows teams are literally blowing up their rosters for a chance to have him on the team and win another chip for their franchise... and to just walk away like this.

he's taking a big dump on orlando... just fucking over the fans and the front office that did everything to make him happy... including firing the head coach and gm.

only to say... i want out

then he goes to another city... destroys their roster and chances... only to walk away because he wants to play with deron williams in brooklyn? deron might not even stay!

i mean... at this point this guy is not just a locker room cancer... but a franchise cancer... he steps into organizations and just fuck shit up.

shameful... let him play overseas... but dont let guys like this come into the league when there's so many others who would love to just have a shot period.

giri

for shits and giggles.

A roster of Deron-Dwight-JoeJ-GWallace would be $70 by year 2 if not this year assuming they all have maxes besides the 4/40.

Keeping a MLE and then the LT MLE would get them to about $80 mil in year 2 with 5 players and 7 roster spots to fill. Even at min salary, you're getting close to $90 million. And if it really is full max, by year 3 or 4, we're looking at a near $100 mil payroll for the Nets. With a repeater tax. This team will cost like $150 million, LOL

Illegal in NBA terms. $3 mil is max per season.

I'm am pretty sure there are clauses about just giving owners money like with players and paying salary with other companies.

Whats illegal?

Also, it's obviously dodgey, but i doubt the NBA regularly audit's these guys books. Not their whole books anyway, all business's.

I mean, prok has a few billion to play with here.

giri

dwight knows teams are literally blowing up their rosters for a chance to have him on the team and win another chip for their franchise... and to just walk away like this.

he's taking a big dump on orlando... just fucking over the fans and the front office that did everything to make him happy... including firing the head coach and gm.

only to say... i want out

then he goes to another city... destroys their roster and chances... only to walk away because he wants to play with deron williams in brooklyn? deron might not even stay!

i mean... at this point this guy is not just a locker room cancer... but a franchise cancer... he steps into organizations and just fuck shit up.

shameful... let him play overseas... but dont let guys like this come into the league when there's so many others who would love to just have a shot period.

It's not dwights fault other teams are blowing up their rosters to trade for him on the hope he signs. How is it? he's made his intentions (semi) clear. If he walks and leaves them with nothing, thats on your stupid GM for making the dumb trade in the first place.

Parts 2 and 3 of the Garden renovation will be adding a funeral home.

Bodies will be buried by Dolan if Brooklyn somehow ends this offseason more championship ready than his team.

Here's the problem for King, though. If he trades for Joe J, he loses all his free agency leverage regarding Dwight.

Let's say, hypothetically, Orlando rather have Bynum. King grabs Joe J and now they're too close or over the cap. They can't outright sign Dwight until next season.

So now, they can trade him to LA who might accept the deal without a commitment. Why, because Dwight can no longer just walk to brooklyn without a major fucking paycut. And without Dwight, Deron probably bolts for Dallas. Leaving Brooklyn with Wallace and Joe J and Lopez.

Dwight would have to stay in LA. No better option for him. Only team to give him full max.

Come on King, make the Joe J trade. Either you fuck yourself over or your team will cost a fortune.

It's not dwights fault other teams are blowing up their rosters to trade for him on the hope he signs. How is it? he's made his intentions (semi) clear. If he walks and leaves them with nothing, thats on your stupid GM for making the dumb trade in the first place.

If Joe J is in New Jersey, he has no where to walk to, lolololol

Whats illegal?

Also, it's obviously dodgey, but i doubt the NBA regularly audit's these guys books. Not their whole books anyway, all business's.

I mean, prok has a few billion to play with here.

it's got to be against the NBA bylaws.

Look, I'm sure Proky can hide the money and make it unknown to everyone but those involved. I don't doubt this man can do this for a second.

But as far as in the open, it's not allowed.

giri

Here's the problem for King, though. If he trades for Joe J, he loses all his free agency leverage regarding Dwight.

Let's say, hypothetically, Orlando rather have Bynum. King grabs Joe J and now they're too close or over the cap. They can't outright sign Dwight until next season.

So now, they can trade him to LA who might accept the deal without a commitment. Why, because Dwight can no longer just walk to brooklyn without a major fucking paycut. And without Dwight, Deron probably bolts for Dallas. Leaving Brooklyn with Wallace and Joe J and Lopez.

Dwight would have to stay in LA. No better option for him. Only team to give him full max.

Come on King, make the Joe J trade. Either you fuck yourself over or your team will cost a fortune.

plenty of teams can keep cap space clear.

and plenty could clear space.

They just wouldn't be on his current list.

it's got to be against the NBA bylaws.

Look, I'm sure Proky can hide the money and make it unknown to everyone but those involved. I don't doubt this man can do this for a second.

But as far as in the open, it's not allowed.

Thats what i mean, there's really nothing stopping him doing it. And if he really wanted to get it done???? i wonder who has a TPE and needs cash :p

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/exceptions.jsp#tradeexceptions
Look at that, Denver has a $13M TPE, and they were complaining about cash last year......

benjipwns

Banned

I fucked up wording it, I was trying to illustrate just how far under the cap the Nets potentially are, and that they can if they somehow pull off impossible trades have all four players.

Lopez isn't going to be $4 million or his $7 million cap hold if Asik is making $8 million.

I did misread Wallace's cap hold as Williams so I thought they had that $4 million buffer that they don't have.

I apologize to everyone.
Thats what i mean, there's really nothing stopping him doing it
The league would void the trades and contracts. Probably take away 5000 draft picks and ban Prok and the entire front office for years.

plenty of teams can keep cap space clear.

and plenty could clear space.

They just wouldn't be on his current list.

Thats what i mean, there's really nothing stopping him doing it. And if he really wanted to get it done???? i wonder who has a TPE and needs cash :p

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/exceptions.jsp#tradeexceptions
Look at that, Denver has a $13M TPE, and they were complaining about cash last year......

My point is if the Lakers traded for him, why would he leave? He can't go to New Jersey. And I'd think you'd have to be an idiot to leave a franchise like the Lakers in his position (same goes for other franchises, fwiw). Of course, he does seem like an idiot, sooooo...

Regarding Prok, I don't know what you want me to say. I can't really comment on illegal backroom payments like the mafia...

giri

My point is if the Lakers traded for him, why would he leave? He can't go to New Jersey. And I'd think you'd have to be an idiot to leave a franchise like the Lakers in his position (same goes for other franchises, fwiw). Of course, he does seem like an idiot, sooooo...

Regarding Prok, I don't know what you want me to say. I can't really comment on illegal backroom payments like the mafia...

I forgot Lakers are the West's version of the Knicks.

I fucked up wording it, I was trying to illustrate just how far under the cap the Nets potentially are, and that they can if they somehow pull off impossible trades have all four players.

Lopez isn't going to be $4 million or his $7 million cap hold if Asik is making $8 million.

I did misread Wallace's cap hold as Williams so I thought they had that $4 million buffer that they don't have.

I apologize to everyone.

The league would void the trades and contracts. Probably take away 5000 draft picks and ban Prok and the entire front office for years.

No need to apologize. We all make mistakes with the cap stuff (hell, I totally forgot about the Arenas rule you corrected me on).

JJ at $20, Deron at $17, and GW at $10 (roughly without knowing the terms of his deal) is a lot of cap hold. Assuming a $60 mil cap, I am pretty sure all trades would be subject to over the cap rules with Dwight.

But without contracts tied up in Humph and Stevenson, makes it much easier to make a deal.

But like I said, they run the risk of Orlando balking for another deal that's better if Joe J is traded to them since they lose their leverage.

Personally, I'd rather have Bynum than Lopez and Brooks. Granted, I'm biased.

benjipwns

Banned
They'd have to prove it first!
How'd they find out about the Joe Smith thing? Wasn't that literally written on a napkin?

Prok might be not be afraid of the Russian Mob, but Stern is a whole different level.
But like I said, they run the risk of Orlando balking for another deal that's better if Joe J is traded to them since they lose their leverage.

Personally, I'd rather have Bynum than Lopez and Brooks. Granted, I'm biased.
My earlier post was to the possibility of it, not the likelihood, I still don't see how the Nets can give Orlando anything they'd want. If you just want to do straight salaries you can easily get it done.

The Nets basically have to wait for Dwight to sign as a free agent if they definitely want him.

Either way they have to gut the team and run with six plus minimum contracts to get the star who wants to play for them like the Knicks did for Melo.

KingJ2002

it doesn't matter if it's his fault or not... this is about his legacy and the message he is sending to other up and coming players. Players coming into the league should be professional and should also play their hearts out so their legacy remains intact. Im well aware people aren't perfect and there will be people coming into the league completely selfish and not caring about anything but themselves... but they shouldn't be the example... they shouldn't be appeased because of their size or talent... if this was the case.. allen iverson would be in the league today.. not showing up to practice and just eating payroll to buy his 30 man crew bentleys. At some point... the owners have to put their foot down and say... fuck this clown... just just refuse to sign him and refuse to do business with teams that do.

A.I. got that treatment... and now... people laugh at his "practice" rant. I would like to see up and coming players look at dwight as the fool who took the league for granted.

I'd rather have a crazy bynum than a disgruntled howard.

crazy bynum would still beast and every now and then... shoot a 3

a disgruntled howard will phone it in all season... and then take off leaving out 5 spot without a dominant center.

we'd have a weakness at the 1 and the 5.

we'd be lottery bound in no time.

How'd they find out about the Joe Smith thing? Wasn't that literally written on a napkin?

Prok might be not be afraid of the Russian Mob, but Stern is a whole different level.

A precursor to the US housing bubble. Art becoming reality!

a disgruntled howard will phone it in all season... and then take off leaving out 5 spot without a dominant center.

If Joe J ends up in brooklyn, then Dwight is traded to LA, Deron will leave for Dallas and Dwight will stay in LA. I guarantee it. And he'll be happy.

Plus, a mailing it in Dwight >>>>> every big right now.

giri

it doesn't matter if it's his fault or not... this is about his legacy and the message he is sending to other up and coming players. Players coming into the league should be professional and should also play their hearts out so their legacy remains intact. Im well aware people aren't perfect and there will be people coming into the league completely selfish and not caring about anything but themselves... but they shouldn't be the example... they shouldn't be appeased because of their size or talent... if this was the case.. allen iverson would be in the league today.. not showing up to practice and just eating payroll to buy his 30 man crew bentleys. At some point... the owners have to put their foot down and say... fuck this clown... just just refuse to sign him and refuse to do business with teams that do.

A.I. got that treatment... and now... people laugh at his "practice" rant. I would like to see up and coming players look at dwight as the fool who took the league for granted.

So Dwight is to be held responsible for things.... that he's not responsible for? he's handled his FA terribly. But he can't be held responsible for teams he hasn't talked to blowing up their roster to trade for him. Thats on them.

A precursor to the US housing bubble. Art becoming reality!

If Joe J ends up in brooklyn, then Dwight is traded to LA, Deron will leave for Dallas and Dwight will stay in LA. I guarantee it. And he'll be happy.

Plus, a mailing it in Dwight >>>>> every big right now.

Dwight didn't give a shit last year and was spitting out absurd numbers still.

Dwight has made it clear he doesn't want to be in LA though. So his back surgery recovery might just take 18 or so months.

Lakers were one of 3 teams on his supposed list, though.

If Joe J goes to Brooklyn and Lakers trade for Dwight, there will be nowhere for Dwight to go that is a big market. They are all capped out and sign + trades are illegal next offseason

benjipwns

Banned
It's worth noting that the Detroit Pistons will have $35+ million in cap space next off season if Joe D doesn't fuck it up.

They might be able to fit Dwight in with the two sixth men they give $10 million a year.

There really is no true paycut for Dwight, unless he gets hurt long term.

You miss on having that $20m to your name now. But it'll be there next contract. Because you'll continue to opt out, looking for more long term money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom