• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...hunder-themed-suzuki-x-90-175840980--nba.html

CarDrew7212.jpg

Oh Gondo.

It's like all of Oklahoma summarized in image form.

Brinbe

So Davis sprained his ankle during a Hornet workout and seems like he's now out for the Olympics. Who the fuck do the Americans turn to now?

Bowser

Nice, I was hoping we'd go after him.

Personally, I hope we go after Hinrich as a big guard and sign two of Hickson, Jamison and Daniel Orton (he's unrestricted and I haven't heard any news on if Orlando will resign him, but it'd be taking a flyer on a talented C prospect).

PG: K. Walker / K. Hinrich
SG: G. Henderson / B. Gordon
SF: M. Kidd-Gilchrist / D. Brown / J. Taylor
PF: A. Jamison / T. Thomas / J. Hickson
C: B. Biyombo / B. Mullens / G. Diop

Add a couple end of the bench guards and we're set for next season. That team competes, but probably isn't good enough to win 30 games at best.

So Davis sprained his ankle during a Hornet workout and seems like he's now out for the Olympics. Who the fuck do the Americans turn to now?
Why is everyone worried

CP3
Kobe
Durant
LeBron
Chandler

Deron
whothefuckgoeshere/westbrook?
Melo
Love
Bosh/LMA

No problem.

KingJ2002

LOL no.

Bynum is a 7 year veteran, played for a HOF coach with a top notch coaching staff, including being coached by one of the best centers ever. And he has the benefit of playing next to another top 10 rebounder who can score, and Kobe. He isn't getting any better.

You're looking at his peak.

What loyalty? A player who is a free agent has every right to choose where he wants to work.

I don't think bynum has peaked... he's only 23 and still inconsistent... give him more time... say... 26-27 and he'll be the most dominant center in the league. Bynum knows how good he is... he just needs to step up with a leader mentality... but i guess as long as Kobe is there it will be tough.

If he ends up on the rockets or lakers or any team before his FA period (that isn't his preferred destination), he did not 'join' that team, he was traded to them, so he would not be at fault in any way for leaving them.

I do think he is something of a bitch, and very selfish to boot. But he's damn good on the court and turns any team into a playoff contender, so if a team could make a serious title run with him...maybe he'd stay.

happens all the time in all sports.. as long as he plays his ass off for that year and doesn't lay down on them.. why would you blackball him for that?

all his bs he did in Orlando is crappy.. but that aside leaving a team he doesn't want to traded to is really his right as a player..

You two are right... it's his right as a player to go wherever he wants to... but the way he's going about it is terrible and it sets a bad example. Players are watching what he does and how teams react... i just hope he realizes that and makes the right choices going forward. This flip flopping has to stop.

Now...

I think if the Lakers do make the trade he might stick around especially if:

1. Deron / J.Kidd leaves for the Mavs
2. Joe Johnson is signed
3. The Nets aren't playoff worthy and will need to tank to get back into it.
4. The Lakers have an easy ticket to the western conference finals with him on the team
5. He realizes that Kobe has 2-3 years left before he retires... at that point... he's 28 years old with 30 mil in cap space cleared for another superstar to join him in his ring hunt.

Same thing can be said of Bynum except he already has his rings... at this point he's probably just playing to play and get the most money out of it.

It's a risky gamble choosing Dwight but at the same time there's no guarantee that Bynum is staying either.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the former yugoslav republic of macedonia is gonna kill USA on the boards :x

I don't think bynum has peaked... he's only 23 and still inconsistent... give him more time... say... 26-27 and he'll be the most dominant center in the league. Bynum knows how good he is... he just needs to step up with a leader mentality... but i guess as long as Kobe is there it will be tough.

i

I think Bynum has peaked. Age doesn't really have that much to do with it. You have to remember he's been in the league since he was 17 and has had multiple knee injuries. He might be 24 but his body is probably closer to 28-29 in terms of mileage. He already labors around the court and isn't exactly the most fluid athlete. He can make small improvements, but a 15/10 type center with some mental issues is pretty much what he's going to be. The question now is how long he is going to be that before he falls off a cliff. SELL HIGH MITCH!

There are articles being written about how a Deron, Iso, and Wallace "Big 3" would challenge the Melo, Chandler, Amar'e "Big 3" for New York basketball supremacy.

Can a fight over an 8th seed really involve Big 3s and supremacy?

Personally, I hope we go after Hinrich as a big guard and sign two of Hickson, Jamison and Daniel Orton (he's unrestricted and I haven't heard any news on if Orlando will resign him, but it'd be taking a flyer on a talented C prospect).

PG: K. Walker / K. Hinrich
SG: G. Henderson / B. Gordon
SF: M. Kidd-Gilchrist / D. Brown / J. Taylor
PF: A. Jamison / T. Thomas / J. Hickson
C: B. Biyombo / B. Mullens / G. Diop

Add a couple end of the bench guards and we're set for next season. That team competes, but probably isn't good enough to win 30 games at best.

I like signing either Jamison or Hickson, but we don't need both of them. I also have the feeling that no one is going to match our offer to Augustin, if that happens we'll have to wait until next year to bring in another PG. If he does go though, Hinrich would be a great sign.

That possible Charlotte roster is unbelievably terrible, Cody Zeller will be theirs.

Heck no to chicken arms Zeller, he's gonna drop big time when he gets measured. I don't like Noel and that kid from New Zealand either, it's all about Shabazz or Austin for me right now.

There are articles being written about how a Deron, Iso, and Wallace "Big 3" would challenge the Melo, Chandler, Amar'e "Big 3" for New York basketball supremacy.

Can a fight over an 8th seed really involve Big 3s and supremacy?

In no world can Crash be part of any "Big 3." But DW-JJ-Dwight-filler would definitely beat the Knicks in the NYC Superbowl.

thekad

Banned
The dream isn't dead, Matrix!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/howard_120702/nba-top-landing-spot-howard

Hollinger said:
The Rockets are looking at merely renting Howard for this season and hoping he'll re-sign afterward. It's a huge risk, mainly because any deal with Howard also is going to stick the Rockets with a bunch of bad contracts that might be on their books long after Howard is gone. But between New Jersey's cap situation and the fact Houston can offer the best deal if it has Howard's Bird Rights, it could be a worthwhile risk.

At first glance, it seemed as if Houston's offer sheet with Omer Asik might complicate matters by eliminating some of the Rockets' ability to soak up bad contracts from the Magic.

Actually, nothing of the sort. Thanks to the provision in the new CBA that trade dollars between teams need only be within 50 percent of each other, the best way to unload a bunch of money in a superstar trade now exists above the cap, not below it.

Houston wouldn't be taking bad Orlando contracts into cap space; it'd be taking them on and sending two-thirds of the dollar value back.

A workable deal can be had hinging on the expiring contracts of Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry going to the Magic, as well as a flotilla of young assets to help the Magic rebuild.

Chief among them are the six first-round picks Houston has from the past three seasons: Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, and Royce White.

Amazingly, the Rockets can trade all six of them, as well as last season's starting backcourt of Martin and Lowry, and still have a very strong team. They'd solidify the backcourt by re-signing Goran Dragic and Courtney Lee, starting Chandler Parsons and Luis Scola at forward, and having Howard at center with Asik backing him up.

The rest of the team would be built from the Magic's leftovers; for instance, if Houston included Patterson, Morris, Motiejunas and Jones, Orlando could conceivably dump Jason Richardson, Davis and Duhon on Houston along with Howard.

Doing that would leave Houston with a second unit of Duhon, Richardson, White, Lamb, Davis and Asik -- not too shabby -- and the Rockets still could fortify that with another guard via the under-cap midlevel exception. (Incidentally, it also would threaten to make Houston the first team in recorded history to sign a player with cap space and pay luxury tax in the same season.)

But what of a post-Howard nuclear winter? The Rockets would be capped out with a very average roster for a couple of seasons, but even that scenario presumes they couldn't work a sign-and-trade to get some assets back. At worst, they'd have one very good year with Howard and two bad ones after he left. It's a risk that seems worth taking."

There's more on Brooklyn, Lakers, Mavs, and the Warriors, but it's inside the paywall.

Bowser

I like signing either Jamison or Hickson, but we don't need both of them. I also have the feeling that no one is going to match our offer to Augustin, if that happens we'll have to wait until next year to bring in another PG. If he does go though, Hinrich would be a great sign.

Heck no to chicken arms Zeller, he's gonna drop big time when he gets measured. I don't like Noel and that kid from New Zealand either, it's all about Shabazz or Austin for me right now.

I think someone will sign Augustin to an offer sheet for ~$6m/year, and I doubt the Cats match it (or at least I pray they don't).

As for the draft, it's way too early to tell, but I wouldn't mind Zeller, Noel or Shabazz. Personally, if Zeller plays well this season, I think he'd make a great complement to Biyombo.

How can you dislike Adams, dude was in a gang for most of his life, he's got the toughness you need.

I've only seen him play at the Jordan Classic game, and he looked timid there. Austin outplayed both him and Noel. I definitely haven't formed a final opinion on him yet though, I'm looking forward to seing him play at Pitt this year.

Nash is only playing something like two quarters and that's with the Suns' heralded medical staff. He's going to be doing more coaching than playing.

I think someone will sign Augustin to an offer sheet for ~$6m/year, and I doubt the Cats match it (or at least I pray they don't).

As for the draft, it's way too early to tell, but I wouldn't mind Zeller, Noel or Shabazz. Personally, if Zeller plays well this season, I think he'd make a great complement to Biyombo.

After the Deron drama plays out the cards will start to fall I guess, I agree with you though it's definitely time to move on from Augustin and see what we have with Walker.

I like Zeller as a college player and as a mid 1st pick, but not in the top 5 of the lottery. He has the wingspan of a small forward. He will struggle to rebound and shoot over NBA power forwards, much less centers. He could be a decent starting 4 if paired with a tall 5, that's not us though because Biyombo, while having freakishly long arms, is a bit undersized for a center.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Morey's got a plan. He's going to get Dwight Howard with Asik as a much needed backup and everybody will be calling him Wizard again.

thekad

Banned
Fuuu... Let's make a one year run

Dragic / Duhon
Lee / Lamb
Parsons / Richardson / White
Scola / Davis
Coward / Asik

Motie going is the only part I don't like.

...Now that's it all laid out like that, it doesn't seem so impressive. It'd be a second seed in the East, but that team's not competing for anything but Morey's job. Find a way to add Eric Gordon and I'll be on board.

Smokey

They shouldn't be mad at Asik. He didn't pay himself $25 million over 3 years.

the entire organization is being cut up especially morey
everything from "why is morey considered a wizard", the dawson era , to "the state of the nba" when asik is making 15 million bones in a year

dark days for the rockets everybody is pretty much counting down to texans training camp (20 working days left!)

eric gordon talking to the rockets is a joke and a waste of time..really don't even understand why he's taking the time out of his life to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom