• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

The complicated scenario would involve the signing/trading of Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries, along with MarShon Brooks and 1st-round picks.

Still not worth it unless Lopez & Hump are short/cheap deals.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yep!

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
The Brooklyn scenario isn't imminent, and it isn't the only one Orlando is working on, sources say.

Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Still not worth it unless Lopez & Hump are short/cheap deals.

Lopez is in the last year of his contract and a RFA next year...

Didn't look at Hump... But think he got an extension. He is a solid front court player and if they are letting Anderson walk he wouldn't be a bad player to have for a few years..

linsivvi

Yep!

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
The Brooklyn scenario isn't imminent, and it isn't the only one Orlando is working on, sources say.

Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press.

You want to trade with the Lakers. Come on, you know it.

Hey even if Bynum first option doens't work (it won't), his contract expires after this season so you will still be free to sign whoever you want next summer.

Ramblin

Banned
Picks won't even be that good. The Nets are already better than the Knicks, those picks will probably fall in between the 20-25 range.

You expect better picks? trading Dwight will affect draft range. It'll affect the contracts you have to take back. What rumored deals are more appetizing... Houston or Bynum?

After having the Otis contracts/trades hanging overhead for so long, it was easy to forget there was an end in sight. Having some space next year and beyond is the one thing I really don't want Hennigan to mess up. This Nets deal seems the perfect way to kill that.

I wonder if this is the junk Otis was rejecting too.

Space for what? Team will be rebuilding and no star player is going to want to sign there. You'll get a few b level players looking for a big payday but are they what you want to spend money on.

You'll never get close to equal value. You can only hope for as much clean assets as you can. Only NJ seems willing to give that much for Dwight.

Maybe a multi team deal can bring in a more diverse package. I don't think it'll make ORL any better in the long run. Their future will depend on high draft picks in the coming years.

Mxrz

Contract stuff aside. Why would any GM willingly help create another super-team in their own conference?

Space for what? Team will be rebuilding and no star player is going to want to sign there. You'll get a few b level players looking for a big payday but are they what you want to spend money one..
Space for anything. Having options and the freedom to go after them would be a nice change of pace for this team. Bring on enough vets/b/c lists to meet the min salary, and try to outtank Cleveland and Charlotte for the next big thing. If nothing else, they could take that money and over pay someone like Carter to come keep the fans showing up. Anything is better than NBA purgatory.

All the time like when?

Well, all those 3 team and 4 team trades that happen.

Im not gonna look up examples. But yea, in order for money and Cap related issues to work out, GMs are essentially giving a slap on the back with these bigger trades.

Every team doesnt benefit equally, so they try to get in on the action and are helping other teams out.

There rarely is an instant where an NBA player has not got what he wanted. Dwight will be a Net by the end of the week.

We just saw the league beg KG to accept a trade to Bos. So yea, everybody washes each others hands when need be.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Give it the fuck up Morey and Les.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
There rarely is an instant where an NBA player has not got what he wanted. Dwight will be a Net by the end of the week.

We just saw the league beg KG to accept a trade to Bos. So yea, everybody washes each others hands when need be.

What about when Dallas was going hard trying to get Shaq?

Or when Chris Paul went to play for the Lakers?

Or when Marbury got exactly what he wanted?

Or when Mo Williams said "don't trade me, plz"?

Or when McGrady got everything he never wanted?

What happened last night, I though Howard to Brooklyn was dead due to Joe Johnson?

There is no hard cap in the NBA, you can have whatever you want. If you try hard enough.

Nets can sign a couple of their left overs and ship them to Orl. But will need another team or two to make the monies work.

RBH

What happened last night, I though Howard to Brooklyn was dead due to Joe Johnson?

tumblr_m4uu7i1ILU1qk9z3lo1_1280.jpg

There is no hard cap in the NBA, you can have whatever you want. If you try hard enough.

Nets can sign a couple of their left overs and ship them to Orl. But will need another team or two to make the monies work.

They'll need several teams taking King's stupid pills to get the deal done as well because it's freaking terrible for the Magic and they could probably move Dwight for Horford if they wanted to or get some decent prospects from the Rockets.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Contract stuff aside. Why would any GM willingly help create another super-team in their own conference?

Not only that but they have to find a third team in this trade. Even if you assume Orlando was stupid enough to trade Dwight to Brooklyn they have to find another team to do the deal and you can sure as hell bet there isn't another team in the East dumb enough to go along with this shit all to land the amazing great Kris Humphries.

Oh and said third team has to have something of value to give up for Humphries and he has to want to actually play there.

Not only that but they have to find a third team in this trade. Even if you assume Orlando was stupid enough to trade Dwight to Brooklyn they have to find another team to do the deal and you can sure as hell bet there isn't another team in the East dumb enough to go along with this shit all to land the amazing great Kris Humphries.

He'll be on the Nets by 8pm Est.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He'll be on the Nets by 8pm Est.

So first its the end of the week? Now its by 8 tonight? Okay.

Magic aren't trading Dwight yet. There doesn't seem to be anything all that enticing. So they will wait. There is no incentive to trade him this very second or today or this week or even this month.

h3ro

More from Woj:

There isn't great enthusiasm within Magic that the Nets have the ability to make the most appealing offer for Dwight Howard, sources tell Y!
So far, this is true: Orlando hasn't seen an offer from any team that it believes is enough to seriously consider trading Howard now.

I'm loving this carnival of crazy.

Smokey

dwight could barely handle criticism in orl, yet he wants to go to NY

pressure will be higher if they get the squad they are trying to get together and it's been shown that mentally howard ain't the toughest

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He.will.be.a.Net

Yes you're right he can be a Net if he really wants to be. He can accept a trade to wherever the Magic will decide he plays next season and then he can sign with the Nets for $5 million or whatever they will have available in the next offseason.

But he's not going to do that. Of course he isn't.

jbug617

Banned
He.will.be.a.Net
This is sounding very similar to what happened to Carmelo in terms of a guy just wanting to play for 1 place and refusing others. I remember the Nets offer for Melo was way better than what the Knicks offered but Carmelo only wanted 1 team and forced the Nuggets to work with just the Knicks.

Yes you're right he can be a Net if he really wants to be. He can accept a trade to wherever the Magic will decide he plays next season and then he can sign with the Nets for $5 million or whatever they will have available in the next offseason.

But he's not going to do that. Of course he isn't.

Only two trades make sense. Bynum for him, or Lopez for him.

Im doing the Nets deal. I'll get a decent player on a cheaper rate. I get MarShon who should be a baller if he puts on weight and I play him all game. And I get a 1st rounder in '13, to go with my brand new lottery pick.

KingGondo

Banned
dwight could barely handle criticism in orl, yet he wants to go to NY

pressure will be higher if they get the squad they are trying to get together and it's been shown that mentally howard ain't the toughest
OKC would be perfect for him. Play with two other superstars and dominate the West for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention low pressure (although expectations are justifiably rising): lose (somewhat embarrassingly) to the Heat in the Finals in 5, then get greeted by 4,000 fans at the airport. Someone at Adidas should check KD's $tat$ and realize Dwight wouldn't be leaving much on the table by playing in a small market.

Not that I really want Dwight anyways

h3ro

This is sounding very similar to what happened to Carmelo in terms of a guy just wanting to play for 1 place and refusing others. I remember the Nets offer for Melo was way better than what the Knicks offered but Carmelo only wanted 1 team and forced the Nuggets to work with just the Nets.

No offer is better than getting Gallo.

NO OFFER.

Only two trades make sense. Bynum for him, or Lopez for him.

Im doing the Nets deal. I'll get a decent player on a cheaper rate. I get MarShon who should be a baller if he puts on weight and I play him all game. And I get a 1st rounder in '13, to go with my brand new lottery pick.

Hi Otis

charsace

More from Woj:

I'm loving this carnival of crazy.

Magic are dumb and just hoping another team is even dumber to trade for a one year rental of Howard.

And the Nets pick could still be good. Howard had back surgery, will be out for months and surgery on the back usually takes a year to recover from once doctors clear you to play.

Turned white as a ghost when asked to play defense. Priceless.
Sorry, don't believe that. When Crawford was with the Knicks Larry Brown loved him and one of the reasons why is that he was willing to listen to Larry. And Larry wants his players to play defense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
https://twitter.com/#!/MarkDeeksNBA

Just so you understand how impossible it is for the Nets to even trade for Dwight this year - Magic would have take 6+ guys back in a deal or they would have to work out a crazy 3 (or 4 team) deal.

They would be looking at something insane, the rumored deals going around don't actually work under cap rules, and evidently not even close. Nets have to get under the cap to actually trade for Dwight.

It's possible but it's going to have to take more than two teams unless Orlando is willing to bend over backwards to get Dwight into Brooklyn. Which is not happening.

h3ro

No idea why this guy opted in to the extra year.

I don't believe this "under the table"-agreement stuff spearheading his claims of blackmail for a single second.

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkDeeksNBA

Just so you understand how impossible it is for the Nets to even trade for Dwight this year - Magic would have take 6+ guys back in a deal or they would have to work out a crazy 3 (or 4 team) deal.

They would be looking at something insane, the rumored deals going around don't actually work under cap rules, and evidently not even close. Nets have to get under the cap to actually trade for Dwight.

It's possible but it's going to have to take more than two teams unless Orlando is willing to bend over backwards to get Dwight into Brooklyn. Which is not happening.

That's only talking about scenarios where the Nets also take on Hedo, he even says a trade for Howard and the Richardsons is feasible.

Mxrz

I'd consider some deal for Westbrook, but I'm weird and I'd enjoy watching him shoot us into the lotto. Doubt others would, or that OKC & Durant would ever want to deal with a super diva and all his baby mommas.

If by some magical means Bynum-Dwight happened. Do you continue to aim to rebuild via the draft and trade him, or build around him and go after FAs? Can't say I ever really paid much attention to what kind of mindset Bynum has about his career.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's only talking about scenarios where the Nets also take on Hedo, he even says a trade for Howard and the Richardsons is feasible.

Even then its difficult. The simplest solution is to not sign Deron + Wallace until you get Howard. But once they sign those 2 guys it becomes more complicated.

Why would taking back Brooklyn's trash and bad contracts be a win for the Magic? They can just trade him to some random team for a couple of middling prospects and be in a much better spot and tank for Noel and Wiggins for the next two years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would taking back Brooklyn's trash and bad contracts be a win for the Magic? They can just trade him to some random team for a couple of middling prospects and be in a much better spot and tank for Noel and Wiggins for the next two years.

Yes. Thats why I personally think he will end up on the Rockets. Their draft picks hold much more value, they have a plethora of young Forwards to choose from, Kevin Martin's expiring contract and maybe even dump Lowry off if they're still trying to resign Dragic.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Rockets are signing their center of the future soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom