• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be... Just was saying that since 1980 only AI went one.. And he came in a PG

The college freshman shooting guard class is probably the deepest it's been in years. I think Purvis, Shabazz, Goodwin, Smart, and Sulaimon can all be solid NBA players. There are also talented HS all-american guys guys like Bullock, Carter-Williams, Blackshear, Hairston, and BJ Young that have either played smaller roles or underperformed as freshmen. One way or another I think the NBA will finally get the infusion of talent at the 2 that it has been sorely lacking for the last few years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
Source: Deron Williams is working out at the Nets practice facility right now.

This is when he goes all nwo and rips off his shirt to reveal a Mavs jersey right?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The college freshman shooting guard class is probably the deepest it's been in years. I think Purvis, Shabazz, Goodwin, Smart, and Sulaimon can all be solid NBA players. There are also talented HS all-american guys guys like Bullock, Carter-Williams, Blackshear, Hairston, and BJ Young that have either played smaller roles or underperformed as freshmen. One way or another I think the NBA will finally get the infusion of talent at the 2 that it has been sorely lacking for the last few years.

NBA teams have been picking big men in hopes of success for decades...

Noel has a huge chance to go number 1

AirBrian

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
Source: Deron Williams is working out at the Nets practice facility right now.

This is when he goes all nwo and rips off his shirt to reveal a Mavs jersey right?
Didn't Deron want to make a decision ASAP so he could focus on the Olympic team? So he's just practicing for that, right? Right?!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Again.. His rotations were limited by drafting Oden, and signing scraps like Failton, Wes, and Crawford...

Felton had a decent career up until that point, Wes showed a ton of promise the year before last and was talked as a steal of a contract, and Crawford.. well.. he could always score.. he just had his worst season since the Bulls.

On paper Felton and Crawford seemed like good pickups.. and before this last season the Wes pickup looked solid.

I ain't even mad about drafting Oden... most everyone in that situation would have done the same.

NervousXtian

I'd say that a majority of busts are a result of reaching for need.

Nah, it's really just young guys going into a man's world. The worst NBA team is still full of guys who really really damn good in college (or overseas). The skill difference is immense, so is the size and strength of the guys you play against.

Add in the first time a lot of these guys have seen any large sums of money (2nd rounders) and the NBA lifestyle.. well.. it's a given a lot of guys will bust.

I've always wished the expanded the D-League even larger.. give each team a D-League squad to drop players too that is their own.

Nah, it's really just young guys going into a man's world. The worst NBA team is still full of guys who really really damn good in college (or overseas). The skill difference is immense, so is the size and strength of the guys you play against.

Add in the first time a lot of these guys have seen any large sums of money (2nd rounders) and the NBA lifestyle.. well.. it's a given a lot of guys will bust.

I've always wished the expanded the D-League even larger.. give each team a D-League squad to drop players too that is their own.

Hell YES to this, I would surrender my wallet to the NBA.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jamison would accept a reserve role in Charlotte, he's not as ego obsessed as that blurb makes him out to be. And ouch at Kemba's TS%, I hope he gets a lot better this year.

You're seriously not understanding how bad Jamison is.

The only difference between his worthlessness on the court and Tyrus' brand of shit, is that Tyrus is fucking crazy and Jamison is just a great character guy.

Jamison couldn't even look good on the Cavs roster. Anything over 5 mil is just a show of UNC favoritism. He's a slighty more mobile DJ White with the range to jack up more bricks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'd say that a majority of busts are a result of reaching for need.
Not at number one... Number two is that reaching for need pick to me...
Felton had a decent career up until that point, Wes showed a ton of promise the year before last and was talked as a steal of a contract, and Crawford.. well.. he could always score.. he just had his worst season since the Bulls.

On paper Felton and Crawford seemed like good pickups.. and before this last season the Wes pickup looked solid.

I ain't even mad about drafting Oden... most everyone in that situation would have done the same.
Failton was trash in Cha and shocked the world in NY... Wes has a jumper that comes straight from the special Olympics and on paper the team looked like a 6 or 7 seed at best..

I think many people would have picked KD at number one.. Even the Portland scouts had him ranked above Oden..
Noel reminds me of KMart, I wouldn't take him number one if I was a gm; but yeah, you're right on about the NBA being obsessed with project bigs.

Teams just burn picks on project bigs... It's crazy

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
NFL lets colleges do it for them...

Yeah they do but even then it still negatively hurts their product. Like the fact there are at least 10 guys a year who have no business being a starting QB but get the job anyway because theres only so many guys worth a damn.

DY_nasty

Yeah they do but even then it still negatively hurts their product. Like the fact there are at least 10 guys a year who have no business being a starting QB but get the job anyway because theres only so many guys worth a damn.

QB is arguably the hardest position to play in all of sports. I don't think using that as an example really works. However, the other positions? fuck yeah it makes a difference.

Same thing in basketball. Are you going to get your point guard of the future through the d-league? No. You won't. Ever. Because that kind of skill/potential is typically identified early on. But do you want to see serviceable, quality back ups that can actually do the job instead of hype machines that have no fucking clue to play - guys who are paid solely because of a GMs hard on and franchises decide to let them learn how to work on the job?

charsace

The sg class isn't that strong imo. Shab's is the best prospect and I don't think he'll be anything special. This is just people hyping it up because a lot of the current perimeter guys are getting old. Its no different than folks calling people the next Kobe Bryant or Noels a great big man prospect.

verbum

I have one question as one who does not follow the NBA that closely, why in the world did the Jazz take Marvin Williams? I live in Georgia so I am thrilled, but how do the Jazz get any benefit? As a columnist in Atlanta put it, "the league's least essential starter".
I can see why the Nets took Joe J. but I do not understand the Jazz. I do hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but curiosity wins out.

I have one question as one who does not follow the NBA that closely, why in the world did the Jazz take Marvin Williams? I live in Georgia so I am thrilled, but how do the Jazz get any benefit? As a columnist in Atlanta put it, "the league's least essential starter".
I can see why the Nets took Joe J. but I do not understand the Jazz. I do hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but curiosity wins out.

We were looking for an average player who could hit threes and play defense and not be Josh Howard and he's that hopefully.

Talon

Jazz want to go big 2-4? Maybe?

It makes no sense at all.

diehard

Fleer

no seriously,

Raja Bell, CJ Miles, Josh Howard

NervousXtian

NFL lets colleges do it for them...

They have enormous rosters and 8-man practice squads. Also guys have short careers due to how terrible the sport is on their bodies from Pop Warner on up. Minor league football wouldn't help develop players all that much.

D League already as 16 teams. Covering all 30 pro franchises. Its fine as is.

Not the same as having one team under your control. A true drop a guy down/call a guy up model.

I mean the D-League is getting better, but it could grow into a place to drop 2nd round picks down for awhile playing competitive basketball instead of riding a bench for 2 years and fading into non-existence.

Then again, late 1st and 2nd round picks usually serve one purpose: Fill a roster spot cheap.

Barely enough good enough NBA talent as it is, and y'all want 30 D league teams o_O

There are TONS of places that could support a D league team. Most of them are in retarded cities right now too.

All of these cities could easily support a D-League team right now:

St. Louis
Cincinnati
Seattle (lol)
Las Vegas
Raleigh/Durham
Norfolk/Va Beach
San Diego
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Kansas City
Louisvile
Pittsburgh

DY_nasty

Marvin will have about 1-2 games each month where he randomly goes for 20+/8, and you start wondering...

Even as a UNC fan, I was pissed to see him go #2 overall.

He wasn't even better than Jawad Williams.

diehard

Fleer
Does Atlanta hate him because he was truely a bad player or just because he was #2?

07-09 his stats were .. pretty dang good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
HowardBeckNYT
Nets have reached deal in principle with Mirza Teletovic, source says.

they already won. Euro Ryan Anderson is gonna chip.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
HowardBeckNYT
Nets are using midlevel exception to sign Teletovic to 3-yr deal. Means: 1. they cannot go over $74 mil payroll. 2. Can't use MLE for Kidd

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Writeup on this European guy the Nets just signed.

http://netsarescorching.com/2012/06/18/meet-mirza-teletovic/

Skills: Mirza Teletovic is a stretch four with a mean streak. He’ll walk into the NBA and right away have one of the smoothest long distance strokes. His jumper is his most lethal weapon. No matter how close you think you’re guarding him, Mirza will find space to get off his quick release shot. His confidence is always sky-high.

Player Comparison: I’ll go Ryan Anderson on the high-end and Channing Frye on the low-end because of their size, shooting ability, and willingness to put up endless amounts of shots as a comparison. Overall though, he probably has more offensive skills than both if given the right system to work in.

I feel vindicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom