• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

if we get Nash i'm ok with this. 20 mil over 3 years is definitely overpaying him but whatever. And if Nash does sign with us, we won't really start rebuilding for another 3 years anyways.

but if we don't... SMFH

Mxrz

Isn't Dirk / Deron / Dwight still possible if Deron suddenly goes to Dallas? They wouldn't have much to trade back either.

ESPNSteinLine
Sources say that the three-year deal offer sheet to Fields, with the Year 3 jump a la Omer Asik, approaches $20 million

What.
bringbackthelockout
Still LOL-worthy.
If Nash goes to the Knicks after this stupid fucking signing i'm Locking Out the NBA.
Fucking BC... what a dumb amount. Just completely fucking dumb. The Knicks ain't matching that shit and we're stuck with him. Stupid.
8773b929d1073f794288530e2b87f03e.gif

OH RAPTORS

SamuraiX-

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
Not saying I'd advocate this move (because I wouldn't), but source says Phoenix loves the Knicks' Iman Shumpert. Plan B for NY getting Nash?
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
Covers head while Knicks fans throw things...

This free agency is just so... lol

Can someone who understands the salary cap explain how the Nets can afford two $20 million a year players, plus DWill (who I'm assuming will also command max money) AND Crash at like $10 million a year?

thekad

Banned
Can someone who understands the salary cap explain how the Nets can afford two $20 million a year players, plus DWill (who I'm assuming will also command max money) AND Crash at like $10 million a year?

They're trading for Dwight and Joe Johnson and using their bird rights on DWill and Crash. They haven't used cap space this entire time.

It's $20mil total. Calm yo self.
Please go back and see how much I wanted the Knicks to offer Fields a month ago.

Hint:
2-3 years, no more than 3.5 million per.

That is a fact. Not revisionist history, fact. He's getting way overpaid and he's arguably not even in a system that'll maximize his skills (Warriors).

The cap is 62m, luxury tax line 74.

They'll make it a 3 way, so they can get back players to round out the bench.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Please go back and see how much I wanted the Knicks to offer Fields a month ago.

Hint:
2-3 years, no more than 3 million per.

The Raptors contract is obviously too much, and the Knicks one too little. They are really just overpaying him by $5-7mil so that the Knicks can't sign Nash.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Woj said:
As the Orlando Magic work to unload superstar Dwight Howard, management is becoming increasingly focused on a potential trade package centered on Los Angeles Lakers All-Star center Andrew Bynum, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Lakers and Magic have had talks about a possible deal, and plan to talk further about constructing a trade. No deals are imminent, and the process has remained fluid as teams have begun to inquire with more serious offers for Howard.

Sources say there is one other trade scenario for a significant player that intrigues Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, but that target is unclear. Before the Magic would agree to consummate a trade for Bynum, they would need to know they could sign him to a contract extension, sources said. Bynum is entering the final year of his contract in the 2012-13 season.

What’s more, Bynum wouldn’t nearly be enough to satisfy Hennigan’s desires for a return on Howard. The Lakers would need to send draft picks and absorb long-term money off the Magic’s payroll, sources said.

The Lakers offered Bynum to the Magic for Howard at the March trade deadline, but the deal never materialized because Howard eventually waived his early termination option for this summer, and Orlando pulled Howard off the market.

The Magic are in no rush to make a deal for Howard, sources said. Howard is rehabilitating from back surgery in Los Angeles, and it’s unclear whether he would even be ready for the start of the regular season in November.

However positively the Magic feel about Bynum, they still need the Lakers to take back one of their expensive veteran contracts – Hedo Turkoglu or Jason Richardson – as part of any proposed trade. With Bynum, Orlando could use cap space to quickly retool its roster around him and become an Eastern Conference. Bynum is coming off his best season for the Lakers, averaging 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds. Still, his immaturity at times still left Lakers coaches and officials unsettled about his disposition to be an every-night dominant player.

Howard told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday night that,” There's only one team on my list and if I don't get traded there, I'll play the season out and explore my free agency after that.” Howard told Yahoo! Sports that he requested a trade during the season, and repeated that request again on Friday in a meeting with Hennigan in Los Angeles.

Nevertheless, the Lakers believe that once they bring Howard into their winning culture, the Hollywood celebrity scene and tradition of great centers, that there’s no team elsewhere offering salary-cap space to sign him in 2013 that could get Howard to leave for less money than they could offer with him with his Bird Rights. The Lakers have wanted to know that Howard would sign an extension should they trade for him, but with the Nets' salary cap space gobbled up, the chances of Howard agreeing to a deal will likely increase dramatically.

Howard’s next Adidas deal will be worth significantly more money – perhaps even double – if he’s playing in the major market of Los Angeles or New York, sources told Yahoo!
The Magic have continued discussions with the Brooklyn Nets and Houston Rockets, but aren’t enamored with the possibilities of players and picks that those teams can offer.

Orlando likes Brook Lopez, but the prospects of paying the restricted free agent near a max contract is unappealing. Power forward Kris Humphries holds no appeal to Orlando, and a third team would be needed to give him a multiyear contract in a sign-and-trade deal.

The Lakers had been on Howard’s initial list of three preferred teams – along with Brooklyn and Dallas – but eventually dropped off. Part of the reason has been the frayed relationship between Howard and Kobe Bryant. Those two stars had a contentious phone conversation over a year ago about Howard’s potential offensive role with the Lakers, sources said, and there’s been an uncertainty between both about how they would co-exist on the floor.

Nevertheless, Bryant and Howard do have history together with Team USA, and there’s a belief among those who know them that the bond of chasing a title would ultimately bring them together.

“They would fight for the first week of training camp, and then be best buddies by the start of the preseason games," one league source who knows both Bryant and Howard well told Yahoo! Sports. "They need each other to win.”

My money on mystery star is James Harden.

Flash

Deron > Lin
Joe > Shumpsdagod
Wallace < Melo
Milos > Amare
Dwight > Chandler

Yeah, the Nets are much better.

lol it's not even comparable. Amare is absolutely trash and that contract is just cancerous. Lin will probably burn out and Dwight and Deron has the potential to be a dangerous duo.

Melo is the only real advantage the Knicks have but I can imagine that Nets team to be pretty damn legit (but I don't see how they could realistically get Howard).

reilo

Your spoiler is disrespectful to Landry, considering its not a raise. And everybody in the NBA gets a raise.

Is Frankman referring to the qualifying offer or an actual extension that was offered? Because his QO is $2.65mil, which the Knicks had to offer in order for him to become a RFA.

The Raptors contract is obviously too much, and the Knicks one too little. They are really just overpaying him by $5-7mil so that the Knicks can't sign Nash.
I honestly don't even see why the Knicks would sign Nash. I mean I GET why you sign Nash, but wouldn't that piss off Jeremy Lin? I mean the idea of "Lin going to the bench to learn from the best" ... eh. Knicks just need to address getting shooters, Amar'e I think already is in Germany now (went overseas a week ago), and schedule that NY Knicks Open Tryout Date on a Thursday morning so I can school fools with my razzamatazz.
Is Frankman referring to the qualifying offer or an actual extension that was offered? Because his QO is $2.65mil, which the Knicks had to offer in order for him to become a RFA.
QO. There was talk though that the Knicks should sign him for 4+ million, which I thought was absurd.

Flash

I honestly don't even see why the Knicks would sign Nash. I mean I GET why you sign Nash, but wouldn't that piss off Jeremy Lin? I mean the idea of "Lin going to the bench to learn from the best" ... eh. Knicks just need to address getting shooters, Amar'e I think already is in Germany now (went overseas a week ago), and schedule that NY Knicks Open Tryout Date on a Thursday morning so I can school fools with my razzamatazz.

QO. There was talk though that the Knicks should sign him for 4+ million, which I thought was absurd.

getting Nash may give Amare some life. And even if thats not the case you have a great floor leader and consistency and Lin may not be able to offer.

reilo

So, like I said, Raptors are overpaying Fields by $5-7mil total to try and land Nash.

$15milish sounds about right for a guy like Fields if you think he still has more to give.

Yes they are because their players are much better (that team won't be assembled)

And your point is? You do know that avery johnson is coaching this team? What kind of genius sets do you think he would run? They sure as hell aren't gonna figure it out themselves with Deron being the only one with a good BBIQ.

Better players don't mean shit, you have to learn how to play together. Shit doesn't just come to you.

$15milish sounds about right for a guy like Fields if you think he still has more to give.
Code:
[U]Years   Salary Per    /    TOTAL[/U]
1	$2,650,000	$2,650,000
2	$2,862,000	$5,512,000
3	$3,074,000	$8,586,000

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zaGvD0Xx
http://www.draftexpress.com
Assuming I have the numbers right, the qualifying offer for a 3 year deal would've netted him a $8.5 million dollar total.

So yeah, overpaid. Did you see Landry the last 2 playoff series? The Knicks better not match this offer.

reilo

Code:
[U]Years   Salary Per    /    TOTAL[/U]
1	$2,650,000	$2,650,000
2	$2,862,000	$5,512,000
3	$3,074,000	$8,586,000

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zaGvD0Xx
http://www.draftexpress.com
Assuming I have the numbers right, the qualifying offer for a 3 year year would've netted him a $8.5 million dollar total.

That's not how QOs work.

linsivvi

The Magic should take the Bynum for Howard deal because they both have 1 year left on their contract. If Bynum doesn't play well you let him go and you are free to sign whoever you want next summer. If he does you'll still have the cap room to go after a real #1 option while giving Bynum a new contract.

As for the Lakers, I am not convinced Howard wants to play under the shadow of Kobe and all the HOF centers (same reason he doesn't want to play for Houston), but getting rid of Bynum is such a positive that I really hope they would do it.

reilo

I thought it might be off. Gimme a sec to get the formula.

There is no formula. If Fields accepts the QO, then he is signed on for one year and becomes a UFA the following season. If he declines the QO, then he become a RFA and the Knicks have 3 days to match any contract that he signs.

I don't know where you got the 3 year formula from.

Sounds about right for what other starters and contributors are getting off their first deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom