• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
3n5Mp.jpg

*joke about "little Mexican girls"*

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

This offseason might go down as the most absurd in history lol

"it's better to not think about it anymore "

I cant help myself :(

Yes. Lakers making a push for Nash. I told you it makes the most sense for Lakers. I still doubt he comes, but I don't want to hear the bullshit regarding Buss. he's trying to get Nash and trade Bynum for Howard. Exactly what every Laker fan should want.

Nash-Sessions
Kobe-Jrich
Ebanks/Grant Hill
Pau-McBobs (or Hill)
Dwight - Pau

Done and Done. PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
nope the fuck goes to your city and you will like it

morey has to know he's out...bent on setting the franchise back 10 years before getting the fuck outta here..only logical explanation here

rather have Shaq as my GM..

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
nope the fuck goes to your city and you will like it

morey has to know he's out...bent on setting the franchise back 10 years before getting the fuck outta here..only logical explanation here

ASIKKKKKKKKKKKK

LOL new topic at cluthfans "What the hell is going on with my Rockets?

"This is just freaking insane. Might as well waive everyone and just bring in D-League players.

My beloved team, which I have grew up to love since the '86 Finals squad, is starting to just be an embarrassment."

This is how I feel :(

KingGondo

Banned
I'll actually be kinda bummed if OKC isn't able to attract anyone in free agency, although I know we can't add anyone exciting (and no, Thabeet doesn't count as a "someone").

Ebanks would be nice. And I hope we let Fisher go. I just know he'd end up cutting down on Maynor's minutes because Brooks loves Dat Veteran Savvy.

Blackace

I'll actually be kinda bummed if OKC isn't able to attract anyone in free agency, although I know we can't add anyone exciting (and no, Thabeet doesn't count as a "someone").

Ebanks would be nice. And I hope we let Fisher go. I just know he'd end up cutting down on Maynor's minutes because Brooks loves Dat Veteran Savvy.

You guys really are Laker lite..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Do you really need to add anyone?

Maynor is coming back. PJIII will give you all the crazy bench lols you ever needed. Ibaka will stay free... It'll be fun.
The FA period is the worst time to be a tanking team. :(
We get to lose the DJ Messiah sweepstakes though!

Doesn't another year of Corey Higgins excite you?

With Maynor coming back, the only "hole" you have is backup SF with Cook. There's not much for you to do.

Blackace

I think for Rocket fans, the first sign that your team was doomed was when Morey hired McHale

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't understand all the Lin hate at all.

He was better than Dragic last season. They started almost the same amount of games for their respective teams. Dragic was terrible until he got to Houston. Lin did his Jesus act with literally no talent around him. There are no awful ballstoppers like Melo in Houston, he will thrive there.

KingGondo

Banned
With Maynor coming back, the only "hole" you have is backup SF with Cook. There's not much for you to do.
We could use a versatile, long, defensive-minded stretch 3/4 to help us match up against Miami better. Ebanks sounds like he fits the bill, and he'd come cheap.

And believe me, that's how Presti's strategy works. We got Perkins pretty much just for use against the Lakers, and I think that's why they have Ebanks in mind, too.

Besides, I doubt Cook will be around much longer--he never got a sufficient chance, IMO. Then again, it's hard to get shots on this team with the offensive talent we have.

DY_nasty

He was better than Dragic last season. They started almost the same amount of games for their respective teams. Dragic was terrible until he got to Houston. Lin did his Jesus act with literally no talent around him. There are no awful ballstoppers like Melo in Houston, he will thrive there.
Lin only had a dozen games worth talking about.

In that same time frame he had more turnovers than Kim K
We could use a versatile, long, defensive-minded stretch 3/4 to help us match up against Miami better. Ebanks sounds like he fits the bill, and he'd come cheap.

And believe me, that's how Presti's strategy works. We got Perkins pretty much just for use against the Lakers, and I think that's why they have Ebanks in mind, too.

Besides, I doubt Cook will be around much longer--he never got a sufficient chance, IMO. Then again, it's hard to get shots on this team with the offensive talent we have.

Did you send Perry Jones to China last week? wtf

SamuraiX-

Wtf, no. lol

HELL no.

giri's about to come in here and assassinate you with paragraphs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lin only had a dozen games worth talking about.

In that same time frame he had more turnovers than Kim K

His turnover percentage was barely worse than Dragic.

I'm not saying its a great signing but I think he's legit.

Wtf, no. lol

HELL no.

giri's about to come in here and assassinate you with paragraphs.

I'm talking about his last season in Phoenix. The Rockets got him for Aaron Brooks for a reason.

DY_nasty

His turnover percentage was barely worse than Dragic.

I'm not saying its a great signing but I think he's legit.

I'm talking about his last season in Phoenix. The Rockets got him for Aaron Brooks for a reason.

Turnover %?

Never checked. Dude has no idea how to protect the ball though. Part of it is completely refusing to throw up shots instead of accepting defeat with a loose ball, but he has a bunch of issues when it comes to valuing possessions.

I like him. Just not for the amount of money he's about to get. But Linsanity isn't about wins. If it was, then the Knicks wouldn't have ran him into the ground last year.

Have you seen some of the contracts being handed out? Ugh, no thanks, we can keep tanking.

IN CHODAGOD WE TRUST

That is true, but we'll have to enter the fray eventually. We're going to have a metric TON of cap space next year too with Diop expiring and us likely trading Gordon at the end of the year. We're going to pay somebody next year, and unlike tyrus I hope to heck they're worth it.

DY_nasty

Jon Gruden can eat a dick nori
That is true, but we'll have to enter the fray eventually. We're going to have a metric TON of cap space next year too with Diop expiring and us likely trading Gordon at the end of the year. We're going to pay somebody next year, and unlike tyrus I hope to heck they're worth it.

No we don't! We still have an option for tanking for a third year if we need to.

But seriously, we don't have to run out and sign anyone. Its great. Eventually we'll need a point guard though.

The Nets also are talking about trading for Howard, or re-signing free-agent center Brook Lopez and re-upping power forward Kris Humphries, and by the way, they'd like to use their biannual exception to perhaps bring in Jason Kidd at backup point guard.

But there are rules about this stuff, and the Nets are in the process of colliding with them before they can achieve those final steps. The Teletovic deal is for the non-taxpayers' midlevel exception, which caps the Nets' salaries at $74,307,000 million for 2012-13. They cannot go over by one cent at any point.

Put in Williams at $17,177,193, Wallace at $8.9 million, Evans at $1.6 million, Teletovic at $5.0 million, Johnson at $19,752, 645, and MarShon Brooks at $1,160,040, and the Nets are in a pickle before they even pick up a phone to call Orlando.

That's because they also have three unsigned free agents whom they would like to keep (Gerald Green, Humphries and Lopez), and the league puts a "cap hold" on the salaries of free agents to prevent teams from using chicanery to circumvent the cap. The hold for Humphries is $12,000,000, the hold for Lopez $7,692,458 and the hold for Green $854,389.

The league also adds a charge for empty roster spots, at the rock-bottom minimum of $473,604, figuring you eventually intend to fill them in order to field a team. Add three "holds" to get the Brooklyn roster to 12 players, and that's another $1,420,8162

So right now the Nets have $76,159,802 on the books, and they can't do that -- again, the most they're allowed is $74,307,000.

This isn't necessarily a problem -- if the combined salaries for Humphries, Lopez and Green are $18,694,045 or less, then everything is peachy. Alternatively, they could let Humphries walk and just spend on the other two. As for Kidd, the Nets would need to carve out another $1.9 million below to bring him aboard.

But it gets really tricky when you try to make room for the $19,536,360 owed Howard. Even if the Nets use all three free agents in a trade for Howard and throw in Brooks, that takes $21,706,887 off their books. Add in Howard's money, and three roster "holds" to get the Nets back to 12 players, and they're adding $20,957,172 back on.

In other words, it cuts only $749,715 from the Nets' books and leaves them a heart-rending $1,103,807 shy of pulling off a Howard trade.

Of course, all this is predicated on the figures that have been reported to date. Perhaps Williams opted to take less money to give the Nets a bit more wiggle room, but everybody is reporting that's not the case. Perhaps Teletovic's deal isn't for quite the full midlevel exception. Or perhaps the Evans deal won't go through.

But as things have been reported, the Nets are a few ducats short of pulling off any Howard trade, let alone a good Howard trade that might actually entice Orlando. Brooklyn can't take back any other contracts, not even a Chris Duhon- or Quentin Richardson-sized one. Because recently signed players can't be packaged in a trade for two months, the absolute best Brooklyn can offer is sign-and-trading its three free agents, Brooks and three first-round picks. And I greatly doubt that trumps the other offers that will be coming Orlando's way.

Even that sliver of hope goes out the window the second anybody signs Lopez to an offer sheet, which will preclude the Nets from sign-and-trading him to Orlando.

With Brooklyn also being capped out for the foreseeable future, it pretty much closes the door on Howard going there as a free agent in 2013, which was his other endgame.

In the end, though, the problem isn't with the extra $1.1 million, it's with the extra $20 million. When the Nets had a ton of cap room, it appeared they could appease the Magic by taking a bunch of bad contracts off their hands in a Howard trade. That ship now has sailed, and as a result, so has much of Orlando's incentive to trade with the Nets.

Even without Howard, a difficult dance remains for the Nets. Getting Humphries, Lopez and Green to all re-up for a combined $18.7 million will be difficult, and it might force the Nets to let Humphries walk. Getting them to re-up for just $16.8 million and reopen the biannual exception for Kidd will be virtually impossible, which is probably why Kidd is now looking at Dallas and New York. And I'm not sure what imaginary exception they plan on using to get Ersan Ilyasova.

Even after all that, the Nets will be filling the rest of the roster with training camp filler, offering only the rock-bottom minimum to second-round pick Tyshawn Taylor and two other roster players.

So like I said, I hope Teletovic is good. His numbers from Europe are nice, and it's possible he'll be replacing Humphries at power forward. Oh, and he's making it impossible to get Dwight Howard.

D12 to Brooklyn is basically dead. I don't see Orlando accepting Lopez over Bynum. Time to move on, Brooklyn media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom