• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Nobody will remember what he said a week from now. It's just typical PR stuff.
Stupid PR.

Why the fuck even say something like that unless you genuinely mean it? And if he does mean it, TBH, fuck him. Go wither and die in Phoenix or whatever place we can get a decent sign and trade for. I'm cool with another tank to get another piece to try and build our own big three.

thekad

Banned
Eric Gordon is going to have to settle for being one of the most overpaid players in the NBA and a second best player on a potential title team, so lame for him.

How can he simultaneously be one of the most overpaid players and the second best player on a title team? Who do you think will be better in three years, Gordon or Harden?

squicken

What does that say about New Orleans? And Houston :(

Did Morey go after Gordon? Seems like a wasted effort if it was known NO would match.

I still don't understand why Morey would offer Lin $8m a year. Morey has failed to land a superstar, but he seems pretty good at finding PGs. And the amount of them on the market right now should indicate they aren't hard to find. I guess I would equate it to RBs in football, where it's silly to pay top dollar for one unless he is one of the 2 or 3 best

Bowser

lol at Gordon's comments. I wonder if he'll raise enough shit with NO to make them drop their match? (league sources already confirmed they will match as expected). If the guy says he doesn't want to play for them and won't be happy there, will they really want him for a rebuilding effort? It's a stretch for him to play point anyway which may be why he doesn't want to play in NOLA.

Might have something to do with them drafting Rivers. They really should have just taken Marshall to complement Gordan and Davis instead of trying to shoehorn 2 SGs into playing minutes at PG

Omega

Banned
That was an ESPN article, fwiw. Most people in the media, and well anyone of us, don't know all the intricacies of the cap.

I didn't even know about this hard cap rule til today.

How did you not know about the hard cap? That was one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason for the lockout.

Also, it might have been an ESPN article but they still keep entertaining that he's going to be a Net. I was watching SportsCenter earlier and I believe the exact quote was "with an impending Deron, Johnson and Howard Big 3 to rival the Heat" right before they did their Top 10 Big 3's of All-Time.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I really don't understand all the Lin hate at all.

He was better than Dragic last season. They started almost the same amount of games for their respective teams. Dragic was terrible until he got to Houston. Lin did his Jesus act with literally no talent around him. There are no awful ballstoppers like Melo in Houston, he will thrive there.

I am no Dragic fan.. but really having Melo and Amar'e is hardly the definition of no talent..

everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

A playoff team. Feels like it's been forever, but it's 'only' been 5 years. Jason Kidd trolled us all. He's going to superkick Mark Cuban through a plate glass window the next time he gives an interview.

With Dwight becoming more and more of a pipe dream, We really have to depend on a) Lopez figuring out how to rebound and defend like he did in his second year, b) Crash and Broadway Joe playing like their 2010 selves instead of their 2012 selves, and c) Marshon maturing into a dependable bench player (his numbers are significantly worse when he gets <30 mpg).

Future is bright. Sorry Brandy.

How can he simultaneously be one of the most overpaid players and the second best player on a title team? Who do you think will be better in three years, Gordon or Harden?

Harden is going to be better because he's healthy for more than 40 games a season. Getting paid $15 million a year when he'll probably miss 20 games a season and be injured in another 20 (going by his second and third years) seems overpaid. I think Anthony Davis is that good as well.

How did you not know about the hard cap? That was one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason for the lockout.

Also, it might have been an ESPN article but they still keep entertaining that he's going to be a Net. I was watching SportsCenter earlier and I believe the exact quote was "with an impending Deron, Johnson and Howard Big 3 to rival the Heat" right before they did their Top 10 Big 3's of All-Time.

What are you talking about? It's a special hard cap that only applied in a specific situation. otherwise, there is no actual hard cap.

giri

Woj and Spears both saying Hornets are matching. Sorry, Gordy. You stuck.

Funny cuz it's better for him this way, I think.

Of course he's better off in NO.

the only thing the suns can offer that NO can't is a proper medical team. But they did keep CP3 playing on his knee's.... (Then again, the chandler toe....).

giri

Well, they're going to match, so what else can you say? Unless it's a sign + trade, in which Phx has to give up stuff.

New Orleans wins, regardless.

I think you overstate the "played" part. PHX made the offer knowing full well that NOH are obviously going to match.

I'm not sure how they get "played" in this situation.

I'm surprised some team didn't do it the second FA started just to make NOH have to, and any other suitor.

Are you sure? I thought I read that it was just a straight up hard cap when they agreed to the new CBA.

you read wrong.

Mxrz

Why isn't Dwight a Laker yet? Be nice to hire a coach and figure out the rest of the team someday.

And fuck the Nets.

Why even make a comment? You know NOLA's gonna match.

Wtf is Gordon doing?

It worked for Joe johnson when he wanted out of Phx. Didnt he get the Suns to not match? Why did the Hornets spend a lottery pick on Rivers if they wanted Gordon back? Just let him walk you're barely any better with him.

It worked for Joe johnson when he wanted out of Phx. Didnt he get the Suns to not match? Why did the Hornets spend a lottery pick on Rivers if they wanted Gordon back? Just let him walk you're barely any better with him.

Eric Gordon is way better than Austin Rivers who won't be in New Orleans in two years.

Jonm1010

Banned
@AlexKennedyNBA

The Hornets will likely meet with Eric Gordon and see where he's at before deciding to match or explore a sign-and-trade.

I say sign and trade him to whatever team puts together the best deal regardless.

You'd rather play for a bottom feeder in Phoenix then in new Orleans, go for it. He obviously doesn't like it here and has no passion right now to be a true winner so fuck him. Get a first or some young guys for him and let's move on.

SamuraiX-

You don't just let the key piece that you received in return for giving up your franchise player walk for nothing.

Eric Gordon is way better than Austin Rivers who won't be in New Orleans in two years.

This too.

aznpxdd

I say sign and trade him to whatever team puts together the best deal regardless.

You'd rather play for a bottom feeder in Phoenix then in new Orleans, go for it. He obviously doesn't like it here and has no passion right now to be a true winner so fuck him. Get a first or some young guys for him and let's move on.

The irony is overwhelming.

Jonm1010

Banned
The irony is overwhelming.
At this point we at least have a promising younh core if Gordon were to stay and an above average to very good coaching staff and a mostly good GM, who outside of The proposed Lakers trade tends to get the better end of deals and hasn't made any stupid FA signings yet.

SamuraiX-

I don't disagree. I think Rivers is a future 6th man at best. I just don't get investing a lottery pick and then $50 million in the same position. They should have drafted a 3.

I believe the Hornets have said they're gonna try playing Rivers @ PG.

Which is why I can't wait for the season to start for the lulz

John Schuhmann &#8207;@johnschuhmann
When were the reservations made? RT @dmwmama: Just finished a wonderful dinner with @DeronWilliams @bkdefend...Avery and our families!

haha

Thing is at least rivers has known Monty Williams his whole life and has actually wanted to play for this organization because of his history with him and GM dell demps.

I can't imagine Monty is going to be happy at all with Rivers considering how much he hated Thornton who was pretty similar.

Uhhh last I check, NOLA was a bottom feeder in rebuild mode too. I know you just got the top pick in the draft, but at least wait until you bounce back from your dismal season before calling other teams scrubs. Aww hell, you can keep the comment, we're going to be scrubs for Shabazz!

Jonm1010

Banned
Uhhh last I check, NOLA was a bottom feeder in rebuild mode too. I know you just got the top pick in the draft, but at least wait until you bounce back from your dismal season before calling other teams scrubs. Aww hell, you can keep the comment, we're going to be scrubs for Shabazz![/QUOTE
We managed to keep most of our losing games within nearly 5 point margins despite no real scorers or stars.

With a healthy Gordon last year we would have no doubt won plenty of them.

Honestly speaking with a willing Gordon and our current team plus a few FA role players were a borderline playoff this team and a 8-5 seed a season or two from now.

SamuraiX-

Why is there so much hype around Shabazz?

Not understanding why a Super Avery Bradley is projected as a Top 5 pick in the next draft.

Jonm1010

Banned
I can't imagine Monty is going to be happy at all with Rivers considering how much he hated Thornton who was pretty similar.
Monty hated thornton because he refused to buy in to the teams philosophy and game plan.

That's my concern as well but Monty has know rivers since he was a child so I assume he has some semblance of understanding what is possible in dealing with rivers.

giri

Uhhh last I check, NOLA was a bottom feeder in rebuild mode too. I know you just got the top pick in the draft, but at least wait until you bounce back from your dismal season before calling other teams scrubs. Aww hell, you can keep the comment, we're going to be scrubs for Shabazz!

Fuck yeah!

Dragic, Brooks, RoLo for Gordon!

Actually, if the guy is out there making those sort of comment, and legitimately making them, not just reporters saying they have a source who heard him say, i can understanding just wanting to get rid of him.

Still, i think NOH match regardless.

Why is there so much hype around Shabazz?

Not understanding why a Super Avery Bradley is projected as a Top 5 pick in the next draft.

To be honest, just going off what I've read and the hype, not like I watch HS basketball. I will check out these players this season of college ball and make my final assessment when it gets close to the draft. Either way, we're tanking towards a top prospect! How do you know he isn't that good? Do you actually watch HS ball?

Monty hated thornton because he refused to buy in to the teams philosophy and game plan.

That's my concern as well but Monty has know rivers since he was a child so I assume he has some semblance of understanding what is possible in dealing with rivers.

Meh, hopefully Rivers' buys in, I really like Davis and Monty and want the Hornets to succeed. I just think the team is letting personal connections overshadow their major differences in philosophy and it's going to blow up once they actually start playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom