• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Suns beat writer.

So much for Nash not willing to play for the Lakers.

I wonder if Sarver would be willing to do it for a pick or something. No reason to let Nash walk for no reason at all since they aren't competing anyway.

Come on Sarver. Don't be a jackass. If Gilbert can trade Lebron, you can give us Nash for a pick or ebanks or something. DO IT DO IT DO IT

FWIW, Lakers can offer a contract starting a $8.9 million roughly. So, 3 years and like $30 million. Less than Raptors, but the chance to win a title. In LA.

oh come the fuck on. Pau rarely flops. He will puss out on layups/dunks and scream, but when does he fake falling to the floor? a handful of times all year, about. Blake does that every game.

l m a o

Nash in a Lakers Jersey seems wrong. But,

Nash
Kobe
???
???
Dwight.

I'd watch.

Still confused about the Mavs. Dominate Champion to putting everything on getting Deron. Its Like 2011 Dirk wasn't real, just some kind of collective dream. Always thought Cuban had a plan.

Cuban never had a plan. His solution is to throw money at everything, but the Nets could offer Deron more money. Guess where he ended up going. I don't think their front office has any sort of plan. They have tons of money to spend, many empty roster spots, and weak free agent pool to choose from. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs next year.

masud

Banned
Did the the Raptors seriously offer Landry that outrageous deal to cockblock us from getting Nash? Did that shit really happen? Dat asshole contract...

*salty*

Gabyskra

Banned
Did the the Raptors seriously offer Landry that outrageous deal to cockblock us from getting Nash? Did that shit really happen? Dat asshole contract...

*salty*

For now, the "likely" scenario is as such, whatever that means at that point:

Lin / Felton
Shumpert / JR
not so Fat Melo / Novak
Amare / Jeffries
Chandler / Harrellson

No reason not to be 4th or 5th seed in a more stable season than last year's rollercoaster ride.

Brinbe

*salty*
Yeah, apparently we just really wanted him!
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/03/raptors-make-19m-offer-to-knicks-fields
The Raptors expect Fields to start at small forward, with rookie Terrence Ross backing up both Fields and DeMar DeRozan.

The Raptors were not comfortable with both the dollar and term commitments necessary to land higher-profile small forward targets like Nic Batum and Gerald Wallace and have long been high on Fields, who resembles Oklahoma City’s Thabo Sefolosha in both frame and game.

The team would have made him an offer regardless of its pursuit of Nash.
With Williams’ decision now made, Nash is expected to make his own call within the next 24 hours.
izpqrXWCUwRxK.gif

masud

Banned
For now, the "likely" scenario is as such, whatever that means at that point:

Lin / Felton
Shumpert / JR
not so Fat Melo / Novak
Amare / Jeffries
Chandler / Harrellson

No reason not to be 4th or 5th seed in a more stable season than last year's rollercoaster ride.

Yup for the next 4-5 years. Awesome...I know the knicks are going nowhere but I atleast had hope that one of my favorite players could finish his career in orange and blue. Now? Nothing...

Gonna change my avatar when I get home. Cant even call the clowns the Neohawks any more, the Hawks have some semblance of hope now...

Brinbe

I'll laugh really hard if nash ends up in dallas or la and the raptors are stuck paying fields all that money
That's definitely a big worry and I wouldn't be surprised, because this roster is trash and Steve deserves better. When I wanted Nash on-board I thought we'd aim high for a proven above-average SF (hell, Marvin "disappointingly average" Williams would've been a better option!), and Fields clearly isn't that.

And asking Steve to pass up on a last chance at contention to lead a bunch of unproven youth and mediocre shit is beyond selfish. Even with Steve it's a last-place team in this division. So let him have one last go-around with STAT or Dirk if that's he really wanted.

Well, at the very least, this speeds up the timeline for BC's departure. Which is great, until I remember that Ed Stefanski (former GM of the Nets/Sixers) is likely the next guy in line. Fuck.

Pkaz01

That's definitely a big worry and I wouldn't be surprised, because this roster is trash and Steve deserves better. When I wanted Nash on-board I thought we'd aim high for a proven above-average SF (hell, Marvin "disappointingly average" Williams would've been a better option!), and Fields clearly isn't that.

And asking Steve to pass up on a last chance at contention to lead a bunch of unproven youth and mediocre shit is beyond selfish. Even with Steve it's a last-place team in this division. So let him have one last go-around with STAT or Dirk if that's he really wanted.

Well, at the very least, this speeds up the timeline for BC's departure. Which is great, until I remember that Ed Stefanski (former GM of the Nets/Sixers) is likely the next guy in line. Fuck.

I just don't get why the raptors want him so bad other than to sell some tickets and build more awareness in canada. From a basketball stand point he really doesnt turn them into contenders and isn't going to entice free agents to go play for the raptors. Their best bet is building up from the draft but getting nash and being mediocre doesn't really help that at all.

I can see why nash would go there and get paid but don't really see why other than marketing reasons the raptors want him so bad.

Brinbe

I just don't get why the raptors want him so bad other than to sell some tickets and build more awareness in canada. From a basketball stand point he really doesnt turn them into contenders and isn't going to entice free agents to go play for the raptors. Their best bet is building up from the draft but getting nash and being mediocre doesn't really help that at all.

I can see why nash would go there and get paid but don't really see why other than marketing reasons the raptors want him so bad.
You're exactly right, it doesn't really make sense for us. And that's the problem, this is clearly ALL marketing/'building the brand/sport' and BC making a last-ditch effort to save his job with a playoff push via a short-term fix.

Anyway, in the end, I ain't mad if he makes the choice to ride with the Lakers/Mavs or Knicks. He doesn't owe Canada anything, and any fans expecting that are selfish morons.

Brinbe

So this is p. much BS, (because wtf is a hoopsvibe) but plausible enough to be entertaining. Sorry if it's old, but 'apparently' Jameer and Dwight almost got into a scrap @ the Magic practice facility? http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/169687-jameer-nelson-and-dwight-howard-brawl

Has Howard finally worn out his welcome in Orlando. Apparently, Jameer has had about enough of Howard's stay, no go, no stay mentality. Rumor is many of Howard's teammates are hoping he will finally leave the Magic and let them simply move on without him.

This strife has apparently boiled over. Jameer and Howard reportedly came close to a physical altercation at the Orlando practice facility. The two had to be separated by players to avoid an actual fight. Jameer's got a ton of heart, but if this had come to blows it would likely have been a short fight. Howard's a giant compared to anyone, and Jameer is tiny by NBA standards. Nelson's only hope would be a swift punch to Howard's shin, followed by an uppercut to his groin.

This discontent with Howard and the direction of the organization might have been the reason Nelson recently opted-out of his Orlando contract. The Magic are a team held hostage by their star, a star that wants out of Orlando. The Magic would be smart to let him go.
Fuck a height difference, I'd still go with Jameer. :lol

Apparently Knicks finally ready to make a concrete offer to a FA not on their team... according to Sportnando:

James White to sign a guaranteed contract with the Knicks. The American forward agreed to terms with the New York Knicks and will sign a guaranteed contract with them. White has played in Italy over the last two seasons with Dinamo Sassari and VL Pesaro. White was the top scorer in Serie A in 2010-11 with 20.2ppg while in the season 2012-13 he scored 17.1ppg.
... I think it's a summer league invite though, the website is bleh.

EDIT: He worked out for the Knicks on the 26th of June.

giri

The Suns don't get to choose where Nash goes, Nash does for the most part. The Knicks can't offer Nash much money so he isn't going there. Move on from Shumps.

Lebron was traded for 2nd rounders. So can Nash. Better than Nash walking to Dallas/Toronto for nothing at all. Lakers can also throw in $3 mil cash to line Sarver's Men's Warehouse suit.

lol

ok

but only cause of your totally convincing argument.

You're exactly right, it doesn't really make sense for us. And that's the problem, this is clearly ALL marketing/'building the brand/sport' and BC making a last-ditch effort to save his job with a playoff push via a short-term fix.

Anyway, in the end, I ain't mad if he makes the choice to ride with the Lakers/Mavs or Knicks. He doesn't owe Canada anything, and any fans expecting that are selfish morons.

wait

didn't i make that argument last week and raps fans shout me down?

With the Knicks’ impending loss of Landry Fields, their interest has shifted toward veteran forward Rashard Lewis and possibly ex-Knick Shawne Williams, working on a buyout with Portland. Because the Knicks are not expected to match Fields’ three-year, $19 million offer sheet, they have Lewis on their radar.

A source told The Post the Knicks were on Lewis’ short list, along with the Heat, Lakers, Spurts and Hawks. Lewis, who can play small forward at 6-foot-10, is looking to sign for the $3.09 million mini mid-level exception after pocketing a $13.7 million buyout from the Hornets.

The Knicks would rather get Lewis for the $1.4 million veteran’s minimum with the right championship opportunity, but Miami figures to be in better position.

Lewis averaged 16.1 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists during his career but was hampered by knee injuries last season with the Wizards. He played in just 28 games for Washington, averaging 7.8 points and 3.9 rebounds, then was traded before the draft to the Hornets to be waived.

Meanwhile, Williams, after shunning the Knicks for the Nets in the last free-agency period in December, is on the open market again as he’s working out a buyout with Portland. He was a deft 3-point shooter for the Knicks in 2009-2010 before having a wasted season last year during which he underwent foot surgery.
So they're thinking of re-acquiring Purple Drank? I wouldn't mind, just stay away from Shard please.
wait

didn't i make that argument last week and raps fans shout me down?
Not all fans have the same mentality.

Knicks now await Steve Nash's decision, which could come within 24-48 hours. Nash has heard from Carmelo Anthony, who made it abundantly clear he is happy to have Nash run the offense and control the ball. Amar'e Stoudemire is in Spain running a basketball camp, but contacts Nash as well. Obviously he gets the most out of reuniting with the former 2-time MVP. Even Mike D'Antoni, I'm told, has not offered any disparaging thoughts about Nash playing for the Knicks.

Here's what's riding on the sign-and-trade scenario to land Nash: If the Knicks can get this done, they still have the taxpayer's mid-level exception, which they could use to land Marcus Camby and bolster the frontline depth. Camby is getting interest from the Miami Heat, but he wants more than a veteran's minimum. Camby behind Tyson Chandler would give the Knicks outstanding defense and experience at the center position. But if Nash falls through, that MLE needs to be used for a veteran point guard, such as Jason Kidd or Raymond Felton. That would likely end any shot at Camby.

Mike-DAntoni-Playoffs.jpg

Mxrz

So this is p. much BS, (because wtf is a hoopsvibe) but plausible enough to be entertaining. Sorry if it's old, but 'apparently' Jameer and Dwight almost got into a scrap @ the Magic practice facility? http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/169687-jameer-nelson-and-dwight-howard-brawl

Fuck a height difference, I'd still go with Jameer. :lol

Have a hard time believing that. Could see an argument, but not to an "almost fighting" level after the back injury. If nothing else, even Stan admitted Dwight could barely move at one point.

Uhh. Not that LA or Houston should be concerned or anything.

DCX

DCX
Apparently Knicks finally ready to make a concrete offer to a FA not on their team... according to Sportnando:

... I think it's a summer league invite though, the website is bleh.

EDIT: He worked out for the Knicks on the 26th of June.

James White?! Flight White?!?!?!?! doooooooo it! Make him the 15th man, activate him around all star weekend and let him unleash hell on the dunk contest!!

DCX

Barrage

Why are some people under the impression we traded Bosh for nothing? We got Miamis First (became James Johnson), a TPE, and our own first rounder back. Which, by the way, turned into Valunicias. Not a bad haul when Bosh was leaving anyway....Those of you saying Phoenix will deal Nash to LA for a 2nd rounder are insane.

soundscream I don't want Nash if it costs the Knicks Shumpert, especially if Knicks have a legit shot at Kidd.

I love shumperts defensive skills, but I hate his asshole 3 gene.

Finding high energy defensive guys isn't hard(knicks just never look for them) I dont feel like its a deal breaker.

Nash has more left in the tank than kid. This team needs to win now, if it doesnt start to come together we need to blow it up again. Yes we will be stuck with Amare's contract but teams would still take marsh mellow and chandler.

Why are some people under the impression we traded Bosh for nothing? We got Miamis First (became James Johnson), a TPE, and our own first rounder back. Which, by the way, turned into Valunicias. Not a bad haul when Bosh was leaving anyway....Those of you saying Phoenix will deal Nash to LA for a 2nd rounder are insane.

That's cause Black Sancha has literally the dumbest trade ideas on the internet

The Twitter feed of MySportsLegion.com cites a source who says that Houston will offer Lin a three-year, $24 million deal. Chris Broussard of ESPN.com already wrote that the Knicks may not be able to match a backloaded offer sheet, and Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.com tweets that the Rockets offercould include salaries of $5 million, $5.2 million and $13.8 million.

That $40 million offer sounded weird and the fact that it was only reported on that one site makes me think it was bullshit.

charsace

I think Lin re signs with us. Linsanity was as big as it was because it happened in ny. Only in ny or cali would the story get that big. Yao was already a legend in Asia before being drafted.

I really hope we don't deal SHUMPSDAGOD.

Second year resident swagger. Nice.

May you be blessed with the "special" intern every rotation this year.

... sonuva...!

Playoff swagger..

No draft. :(

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson's "Plan B" to build a new sports arena is dead.

The second option for a new arena for the Sacramento Kings -- or any other professional sports tenant -- never really took shape. Johnson said Tuesday that the city and arena operator AEG have concluded that the financial model is not viable for the region without an anchor sports tenant.

Kings owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof pulled out of a plan to help finance an arena earlier this year, saying it didn't make financial sense for the franchise. The team has not commented about any arena project since but has maintained the franchise intends to stay in Sacramento.

Welcome to Seattlol/Anacrime, Queens.

SamuraiX-

Welcome to Seattlol/Anacrime, Queens.

I guess it could be worse.

Like having to play in a city where we constantly have to fight for relevancy and pretend we matter while being overshadowed by the city's only basketball organization that anyone really cares about for the entirety of our franchise history.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think Lin re signs with us. Linsanity was as big as it was because it happened in ny. Only in ny or cali would the story get that big. Yao was already a legend in Asia before being drafted.

Now it already happened so whereever he signs it will go down...

Think Houston would be huge thanks to Yao

DCX

DCX
Will "Linsanity" be as huge outside of NY? I really, really doubt it.

Eh..maybe LA. Houston because of what Yao set up. If i were him, i would take less to stay in NY and make tons more in marketing. Plus he can stay close to family especially his brother who goes to college up my way.

DCX

I guess it could be worse.

Like having to play in a city where we constantly have to fight for relevancy and pretend we matter while being overshadowed by the city's only basketball organization that anyone really cares about for the entirety of our franchise history.

C'mon, son. Ain't we all loserbros up in here?

Brinbe

So looks like Nash is intent on NY, can't be mad at that, if that's what he wants. Can we now rescind this Fields offer, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom