• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you're dumb enough to think I truly meant Nash came into the free agency saying "The lakers are my #1 choice," then that's on you.

There's a difference for you? You meant it and got called on it. But whatevs, all lolz and shit, right guyz?

DCX

DCX
Nash has three years left and only plays 30 minutes a game.

And Chinese money.
I understand but you can get 20 minutes from Felton for peanuts and have money to depth on the bench. Novamatic, JR need to be sign. I say let Jeffries go and sign Lewis/Purp/Camby/Weems. 2-3 out of four would be great.

Nash
Jr
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Felton
Novack
Camby
Weems
Jorts
Purp/Lewis

Leggo

DCX

shira

No one is beating the Heat. I find it funny that all of these teams are scrambling to assemble "super teams" to inevitably get stomped by the Heat. Nash doesn't play defense. Amare doesn't rebound and has lost a step. Carmelo is a blackhole and a ball stopper. Tyson Chandler is going to be pissed that he has to play defense for three people.
The heat lost money this year.
Knicks made money.

It's all about perception of "winning"

LuchaShaq

Banned
Nash to the Knicks?

God fucking dammit, why does the NBA even have 30 teams if small market teams just keep getting fucked over and over.

Tell that to OKC and San Antonio.

Market size only makes things easier/harder by a bit. If the Spurs were run by Dolan/Walsh/Isaiah they would have been fucked for over a decade as well. Put Buford/Pop in NY they would have a chip or three within a decade or so.

thekad

Banned
I understand but you can get 20 minutes from Felton for peanuts and have money to depth on the bench. Novamatic, JR need to be sign. I say let Jeffries go and sign Lewis/Purp/Camby/Weems. 2-3 out of four would be great.

Nash
Jr
Melo
Amare
Chandler

...Yeah, there's no way Woodson plays Nash, JR, Melo, and Amare together. Sounds like a disaster.

You took my comment too seriously.

uh, what? So a mini-streak against some mediocre or tanking teams for a few games erases the entire rest of the season?

They were winning the same games after Lin got hurt, too.

When Carmelo had his best stretch of the season. And as far as the rest of the season it proves my original point that your talking out your ass because the knicks were horrible till Lin came, then after he got hurt Carmello went on an amazing run. The only time they functioned as a team was when they had someone effective running the point, on offense. Which is why this trade makes sense.

Knicks made money.

How do you know the heat lost money? Aren't they doing the books right now (which is why FAs can't sign since no one knows the cap figures, yet)?

Was this revealed somewhere?

RBH

Knicks made money.

I saw that quote from Micky Arison, and I'm not sure if I believe it. Seemed to me like Arison was trying to gain some additional leverage for a new, more lucrative TV deal for the Heat.

How do you know the heat lost money? Aren't they doing the books right now (which is why FAs can't sign since no one knows the cap figures, yet)?

Was this revealed somewhere?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48047319
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-arison-owning-team-hobby-163352251--nba.html

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I saw that quote from Micky Arison, and I'm not sure if I believe it. Seemed to me like Arison was trying to gain some additional leverage for a new, more lucrative TV deal for the Heat.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48047319
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-arison-owning-team-hobby-163352251--nba.html

“With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, it works against us because of the dollars we had under contract already and the revenue sharing,” Arison said.
"The reality is we're not a big market team," Arison told CNBC. "Minnesota is a larger market than Miami. Where we find ourselves struggling is our local TV revenue is smaller than big markets and despite sellouts we're only seventh or eighth in gate revenues. Obviously our payrolls are up and our revenues are not because of the limitations of our market."
That doesn't add up because the new CBA and revenue sharing is there to prevent teams from losing money. The Heat will pay with the luxury tax, but I bet they'll get money back on revenue sharing. That was almost the whole fucking point.

When Carmelo had his best stretch of the season. And as far as the rest of the season it proves my original point that your talking out your ass because the knicks were horrible till Lin came, then after he got hurt Carmello went on an amazing run. The only time they functioned as a team was when they had someone effective running the point, on offense. Which is why this trade makes sense.

the knicks went 9-10 after the win streak when Lin came on without Melo (mostly).

The key thing is they were 11-5 without Amar'e. Which reverts back to what I said before, that Melo-Amar'e is the problem.

I agree Nash helps. I didn't say it's not a move they shouldn't do. I said i still don't think they're a contender until they move away from Amare-Melo combo, despite what Nash brings, because those 3 on defense will be horrific.

Even when Melo got hot, they were still better with Melo playing and Amar'e getting rest on the bench.

That doesn't add up because the new CBA and revenue sharing is there to prevent teams from losing money. The Heat will pay with the luxury tax, but I bet they'll get money back on revenue sharing. That was almost the whole fucking point.

I haven't gone over the details, but Coon's FAQ has it. But I don't think it guarantees all teams make money. You can still lose money as a small market team despite receiving funds. It depends on the factors.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Free agent center Spencer Hawes has reached agreement on a two-year, $13M-plus extension with Philadelphia, league sources tell Y! Sports.

mamba melo has been playing defense under woodson. its amare who doesnt.

Which is why I've been pretty clear that Amar'e is the main problem, granted I said the Melo-Amar'e thing needs to break up. but I've said a few times it's Amar'e who is in decline.

the knicks went 9-10 after the win streak when Lin came on without Melo (mostly).

The key thing is they were 11-5 without Amar'e. Which reverts back to what I said before, that Melo-Amar'e is the problem.

I agree Nash helps. I didn't say it's not a move they shouldn't do. I said i still don't think they're a contender until they move away from Amare-Melo combo, despite what Nash brings, because those 3 on defense will be horrific.

Even when Melo got hot, they were still better with Melo playing and Amar'e getting rest on the bench.

I haven't gone over the details, but Coon's FAQ has it. But I don't think it guarantees all teams make money. You can still lose money as a small market team despite receiving funds. It depends on the factors.

You said that a defensive pg was a better way to go. And I as someone who watched the majority of the games last year told you no because the team needs someone to keep Melo in check because you cant count on him being hot all the time.

Teams in markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive a revenue sharing payment. Teams in markets with 2 million to 2.5 million TV households receive a percentage of a full payment (for example, a team with 2.25 million TV households receives a 50% payment). A team with fewer than 2 million TV households receives a full payment.

Not sure where Miami stands. If they are over 2.5, they can't get revenue sharing, despite losing money. hah.

Still, the Heat's team valuation has shot up and Arison is still making at least 10% in potential value per year.

edit: The CNBC salary cap and luxury tax numbers are weird. Are they prorated for the lockout or something?

You said that a defensive pg was a better way to go. And I as someone who watched the majority of the games last year told you no because the team needs someone to keep Melo in check because you cant count on him being hot all the time.

I say that because Amar'e is untradeable right now. If you could get Nash and unload Amar'e, I'd agree.

But if Amar'e is going to be healthy this year, Melo-Amar'e needs a perimeter defender badly. Having just Chandler won't cut it.

SamuraiX-

Free agent center Spencer Hawes has reached agreement on a two-year, $13M-plus extension with Philadelphia, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
Source confirms center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two-year, $13 million deal to return to Philadelphia. @wojyahoonba had first.

Somebody check on Knux.

Not sure where Miami stands. If they are over 2.5, they can't get revenue sharing, despite losing money. hah.

Still, the Heat's team valuation has shot up and Arison is still making at least 10% in potential value per year.

edit: The CNBC salary cap and luxury tax numbers are weird. Are they prorated for the lockout or something?

I say that because Amar'e is untradeable right now. If you could get Nash and unload Amar'e, I'd agree.

But if Amar'e is going to be healthy this year, Melo-Amar'e needs a perimeter defender badly. Having just Chandler won't cut it.

This is going to be my last post on the issue because you are not reading what I am trying to tell you. It wouldnt matter if we had great defenders at every position, if we still dont have a dominant point guard to run the offense, because Melo will kill you just as many times as he saves you if its being run through him.

This is going to be my last post on the issue because you are not reading what I am trying to tell you. It wouldnt matter if we had great defenders at every position, if we still dont have a dominant point guard to run the offense, because Melo will kill you just as many times as he saves you if its being run through him.

Yeah, but the problem is, I don't think Nash is the one you need to become a contender because of his defense. One of the few teams his impact is mitigated somewhat. Knicks would probably be much better off with Rondo, even though Nash is better than Rondo.

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that in this case, his D is so bad it will undo a lot of the good he brings because of the makeup of your team.

Anyway, I'm out for the day now. When I return, I better see Nash and Howard in a Lakers uni. Anything less and this league is rigged.

charsace

Yeah, but it doesn't make them a contender IMO cuz while Nash is always good for a team, it's a poor fit still.

I feel like a better defensive PG would have made them improve more, but then again not exactly many out there for that.

And they do lose the one guy that can defend. Though he was missing next season, anyway.

Knicks payroll in year 3 will be getting close to $100 mil. lol

Knicks defense wasn't the problem last season. The only problem on defense was all the switching. Offense was a much bigger problem.

Personally I think the Knicks should stick with Lin.

Guys, guys...

Why are we ignoring the real PG of the offseason?

Fuck Nash, fuck Kidd, and fuck Lin. My man talisaynon told me whoever signs Nate Robinson is chipping this season.

SamuraiX-

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Negotiations are going well between the Nuggets and RFA JaVale McGee, who has expressed a desire to stay in Denver, sources say.

So how much is he getting paid?

I could see at least 4 years, $32 million.

Mothman91

So how much is he getting paid?

I could see at least 4 years, $32 million.

damn....he's getting paid isn't he. Was at first mad that we got Nene's contract for him and Young, but now after I look at it, am happy. Getting those two out of D.C. was a good move, and Nene brought some good attitude to the Wiz.

Gabyskra

Banned
FUCK DEFENSE

2vjizwfrktwr8itl4ww0.jpeg

Nash might go the Knicks? Raptors are fucked forever. Knicks actually have two great players now in Nash and Chandler, if only their forwards were better.

Also, George Hill getting 5/40 challenges Fields and Blatche and Tyrus for worst contract in the NBA, WTF.

edit: only hoopsworld is reporting so probably wrong I guess.

shira

Nash might go the Knicks? Raptors are fucked forever. Knicks actually have two great players now in Nash and Chandler, if only their forwards were better.

Also, George Hill getting 5/40 challenges Fields and Blatche and Tyrus for worst contract in the NBA, WTF.

edit: only hoopsworld is reporting so probably wrong I guess.
Who plays better D? Nash or Calderon?

Guys, guys...

Why are we ignoring the real PG of the offseason?

Fuck Nash, fuck Kidd, and fuck Lin. My man talisaynon told me whoever signs Nate Robinson is chipping this season.

bro all im saying is i dont think we gave Pretty tone enough time to do his thing on the court.

I mean, im hearing that he's getting traded for Nash now? knicks would be big losers to trade their HOF pg for a 38 year old has been.

Gabyskra

Banned
bro all im saying is i dont think we gave Pretty tone enough time to do his thing on the court.

I mean, im hearing that he's getting traded for Nash now? knicks would be big losers to trade their HOF pg for a 38 year old has been.

When you make fun of people saying that Douglas was HoF material, you make fun of your reading ability.

When we make fun of you for saying Nate Robinson is a good starting PG, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom